Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 519 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #15541 of 15570 Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did some work on my antenna recently, (winegard HD 8800) and now things have changed for me. I used to could pick up 28 before I could get any of the others, and I could usually get 5, 17 and 22 around the same time, with 50 being last to come in. Now I can only get 5 and 50 mostly. They come in nicely when the band opens up a little, and all the others are a no show. Even the slightest adjustments can make a huge difference. The change for me was the wind had bent my mast above my rotor, and I replaced it causing the antenna to sit differently than it had been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15542 of 15570 Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Greetings, all.

I am contemplating switching from DirecTV to TWC in Raleigh. I'd like to throw out a few questions to see if anyone has experience with both services:

• How does HD picture quality compare between DirecTV and TWC (specifically in the Raleigh market)? I'm running a 92" screen, so I certainly don't want less quality than I'm getting from DirecTV...
  • Comments on the Enhanced Whole Home DVR (6 tuner) with TWC as compared to a DirecTV genie?

Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks in advance...
post #15543 of 15570 Old 05-03-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Greetings, all.

I am contemplating switching from DirecTV to TWC in Raleigh. I'd like to throw out a few questions to see if anyone has experience with both services:

• How does HD picture quality compare between DirecTV and TWC (specifically in the Raleigh market)? I'm running a 92" screen, so I certainly don't want less quality than I'm getting from DirecTV...
  • Comments on the Enhanced Whole Home DVR (6 tuner) with TWC as compared to a DirecTV genie?

Thanks in advance...
I had both. I now have DirecTV only. I am very particular with PQ.
Wilson-Flyer likes this.
post #15544 of 15570 Old 05-03-2016, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Greetings, all.

Thanks in advance...
DirecTV will look better than TWC
Wilson-Flyer and CCsoftball7 like this.
post #15545 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
What about Centurylink Prism? I thought it looked as good as Directv... maybe better.
post #15546 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I had both. I now have DirecTV only. I am very particular with PQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
DirecTV will look better than TWC
Thanks for the information, gang. I'll have to rethink my plan a bit.
post #15547 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the information, gang. I'll have to rethink my plan a bit.
That's not necessarily the case. You need to find somebody with TWC in your area and see what the picture looks like at their house. Or, a business that you know uses TWC. In most markets TWC has gone digital, or is going digital. I have DirecTV, and a TiVo with a cablecard. The picture on cable where I am blows most of DirecTV's channels away. Every market is different.

Same with the DVR... you need to find someone who has their whole home setup and see it in action.
post #15548 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
What about Centurylink Prism? I thought it looked as good as Directv... maybe better.
Centurylink Prism is not available widely in Wake County. Supposedly AT&T uVerse is coming to my neighborhood soon and then eventually Google fiber, so the options beyond sat and TWC will be opening up. Competition is a good thing.
post #15549 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
That's not necessarily the case. You need to find somebody with TWC in your area and see what the picture looks like at their house. Or, a business that you know uses TWC. In most markets TWC has gone digital, or is going digital. I have DirecTV, and a TiVo with a cablecard. The picture on cable where I am blows most of DirecTV's channels away. Every market is different.

Same with the DVR... you need to find someone who has their whole home setup and see it in action.
A bunch of ridiculous info and heavy imagination in that post.

TWC has been digital with the HDTV signals since, well, the HDTV signals showed up 12+ years ago. There were NEVER any analog HDTV signals on TWC.

The fact that TWC is reclaiming the NTSC/QAM Analog Channels (much for the use of internet bandwidth) means essentially nothing.

TWC has and continues to rateshape the MPEG2 Digital HD channels, taking away the fine detail in the process. DirecTV takes the MPEG2 full bandwidth channels and converts it to the more efficient .h264 with no rate reduction that looks much better than any rate shaped MPEG2 channel on TWC - In Raleigh or any other market.
ejb1980 and Matt W like this.
post #15550 of 15570 Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've never seen PQ on a cable system, Time Warner or otherwise, that could hold a candle to satellite.
CCsoftball7, ejb1980 and Matt W like this.
post #15551 of 15570 Old 05-05-2016, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
A bunch of ridiculous info and heavy imagination in that post.

TWC has been digital with the HDTV signals since, well, the HDTV signals showed up 12+ years ago. There were NEVER any analog HDTV signals on TWC.

The fact that TWC is reclaiming the NTSC/QAM Analog Channels (much for the use of internet bandwidth) means essentially nothing.

TWC has and continues to rateshape the MPEG2 Digital HD channels, taking away the fine detail in the process. DirecTV takes the MPEG2 full bandwidth channels and converts it to the more efficient .h264 with no rate reduction that looks much better than any rate shaped MPEG2 channel on TWC - In Raleigh or any other market.
Of course HDTV signals are digital, but we don't know if the OP watches all HD material or also prefers many SD channels. I'm fully aware some are in love with H.264 as well, but I'll take the 16mb MPEG2 feeds I get of many channels over the 8mb H.264 ESPN gets on DirecTV anyday. I can compare both side by side, and there is a noticeable difference.

My point was (and still is) that the OP should look at it for himself. Because everybody's opinion is subjective when it comes to PQ. Some say Dish is wonderful, and blows everyone out of the water. Some say DirecTV is wonderful, others say it is horrible. My point simply was to look at it, and make your own decision.
Matt W likes this.
post #15552 of 15570 Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Of course HDTV signals are digital, but we don't know if the OP watches all HD material or also prefers many SD channels. I'm fully aware some are in love with H.264 as well, but I'll take the 16mb MPEG2 feeds I get of many channels over the 8mb H.264 ESPN gets on DirecTV anyday. I can compare both side by side, and there is a noticeable difference.

My point was (and still is) that the OP should look at it for himself. Because everybody's opinion is subjective when it comes to PQ. Some say Dish is wonderful, and blows everyone out of the water. Some say DirecTV is wonderful, others say it is horrible. My point simply was to look at it, and make your own decision.
Actually funny that you do not like ESPN in .h264 as ESPN is distributed in the USA off Galaxy 14 at 125.0 West on transponder 9 in MPEG 4 - not MPEG 2.

TWC has to decode it from MPEG 4 to baseband and then re-encode it to MPEG2 introducing artifacts into the picture, where DirecTV just passes it on in it's native MPEG4 as distributed.

I can also compare both side by side - and native is better on DirecTV in MPEG4.

Others see what they want to see.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/ESPN-US.html
ejb1980 likes this.
post #15553 of 15570 Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Actually funny that you do not like ESPN in .h264 as ESPN is distributed in the USA off Galaxy 14 at 125.0 West on transponder 9 in MPEG 4 - not MPEG 2.

TWC has to decode it from MPEG 4 to baseband and then re-encode it to MPEG2 introducing artifacts into the picture, where DirecTV just passes it on in it's native MPEG4 as distributed.

I can also compare both side by side - and native is better on DirecTV in MPEG4.

Others see what they want to see.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/ESPN-US.html
Dish people see what they want to see for sure. Their HD isn't even really HD - 1440 x 1080i instead of 1920 x 1080i. Add some upscaling to that and it's awful. Directv is like the Ricky Gervais commercials for Verizon. Directv is overall #1 for PQ but there are pockets of cable and others that look better, I am sure. I just haven't found one yet. TWC PQ is far superior in quality and certainly quantity to that of Vermont Comcast - so there's that. Directv is the only way to go (unless you like Pac 12 or Lifetime Real Women.)
CCsoftball7 and Matt W like this.
post #15554 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation WNCN Off Air?

All WNCN channels do not appear to be broadcasting OTA today. Normally strong clear signal in Cary. Channel scan, finds the 17.x channels, but little to no signal.
post #15555 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 AM

No issues with 17 in Raleigh this morning about 8:30am. Appears normal to me, although I didn't check how strong the signal was....
post #15556 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelmore View Post
All WNCN channels do not appear to be broadcasting OTA today. Normally strong clear signal in Cary. Channel scan, finds the 17.x channels, but little to no signal
Leaves?
post #15557 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
All WNCN channels do not appear to be broadcasting OTA today. Normally strong clear signal in Cary. Channel scan, finds the 17.x channels, but little to no signal.
Temporary issue, at least bt 6-7am. Now back to normal.
post #15558 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Temporary issue, at least bt 6-7am. Now back to normal.
Probably atmospheric conditions cause issues early in the morning. Some normal channels may drop out and strange distant ones may even appear.
post #15559 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Probably atmospheric conditions cause issues early in the morning. Some normal channels may drop out and strange distant ones may even appear.
Interesting. I am also in Cary and observed the same issue between 6am-7:30am this morning with 17.1 OTA. Did not check later yet as I left for work.
post #15560 of 15570 Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is a station in Roanoke on the same RF channel as WNCN. It was probably interference from them.
post #15561 of 15570 Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Welcome ATSC 3.0 to the Triangle....

http://www.wral.com/wral-to-begin-br...logy/15815109/

Channel 39 is their experimental channel... Not that any of us can probably see it..
Wilson-Flyer likes this.
post #15562 of 15570 Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Channel 39 is their experimental channel... Not that any of us can probably see it..

This is QHD? And it's not backwards compatible with the current broadcast system (ATSC 1.0)? So they are finally going to drop interlacing? Give us a bigger color space in Rec.2020?

But they are going to keep drop-frame and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling?

What compression? How's the broadcast bandwidth needed compared to the present system?

Is this one any better with a receiver in motion (car, train)? Is it any better with weather, leaves, wind?

So all I need is a brand new tuner... Hmmm... guess this is going to sell yet more TVs.
post #15563 of 15570 Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

This is QHD? And it's not backwards compatible with the current broadcast system (ATSC 1.0)?
4k UHD. Technically ATSC 3.0

Quote:

So they are finally going to drop interlacing? Give us a bigger color space in Rec.2020?
Yes

Quote:
But they are going to keep drop-frame and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling?
TBD. A Number of factors at play. All ATSC 3.0 Standards not finalized yet - and many options available with ATSC 3.0. (for example, ATSC 3.0 can also broadcast in MPEG2 or MPEG4 and in lower resolutions than 4k as well). The only thing really signed off on is the Boot-Strap.

Quote:
What compression? How's the broadcast bandwidth needed compared to the present system?
HVEC. 4x more efficient - and you can actually get more Bandwidth as well.

Quote:
Is this one any better with a receiver in motion (car, train)? Is it any better with weather, leaves, wind?
Yes because of the Error Correction. However, ATSC 3.0 on VHF probably is a non-starter mobile because of the wavelength and will still have its challenges. Any Company interested in mobile reception will not be moving from UHF and God help the ones that are stuck there already.

Quote:
So all I need is a brand new tuner... Hmmm... guess this is going to sell yet more TVs.
Correct. The hope is that an external tuner plug in similar to a Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick that will plug into the HDMI or USB port will be available for less than $50.
Wilson-Flyer likes this.

Last edited by GCAVS; 06-30-2016 at 11:18 PM.
post #15564 of 15570 Old 07-01-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:

The video clip mentions interactivity and video-on-demand capability in ATSC 3.0 broadcasting. How can a broadcast signal send different content to different viewers?
post #15565 of 15570 Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
The video clip mentions interactivity and video-on-demand capability in ATSC 3.0 broadcasting. How can a broadcast signal send different content to different viewers?
Multiple ways with ATSC 3.0 as its IP based.

One of the easiest way is Broadcasting using SFN - possible and being tested for ATSC 3.0 right now.

See detailed description in Greensboro thread.
post #15566 of 15570 Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Multiple ways with ATSC 3.0 as its IP based.

One of the easiest way is Broadcasting using SFN - possible and being tested for ATSC 3.0 right now.

See detailed description in Greensboro thread.
You say "IP based", but it is still broadcast TV, right? It's still a one-to-many delivery system. And there is no set-top box, and it is not like subscribing to cable TV or satellite TV, where you have an account that allows the system to distinguish you from other viewers.

I understand how a station could have several transmitters located in various places within a geographic region, all using the same RF signal, but set up to minimize interference with each other and to allow different content in the different signals, but, still, how can a particular signal respond to a request from a viewer for a particular on-demand offering? If I choose to watch a particular offering and my neighbor chooses something else from the very same station and on the very same transmitter, how does the signal deliver the correct programs to both of us?
post #15567 of 15570 Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
You say "IP based", but it is still broadcast TV, right? It's still a one-to-many delivery system. And there is no set-top box, and it is not like subscribing to cable TV or satellite TV, where you have an account that allows the system to distinguish you from other viewers.

I understand how a station could have several transmitters located in various places within a geographic region, all using the same RF signal, but set up to minimize interference with each other and to allow different content in the different signals, but, still, how can a particular signal respond to a request from a viewer for a particular on-demand offering? If I choose to watch a particular offering and my neighbor chooses something else from the very same station and on the very same transmitter, how does the signal deliver the correct programs to both of us?
ATSC 3.0 has Internet connection capability and for VOD you need a path back for selection, so you would use the internet for VOD delivery. The station broadcasts the internet URLs so the TV goes to the server site. The actual VOD would not take place over the TV RF Channel.
post #15568 of 15570 Old 07-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question about WNCN 17, can anyone pick it up in Apex, it has been a few days since I lost their signal?
post #15569 of 15570 Old 07-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboeze View Post
Question about WNCN 17, can anyone pick it up in Apex, it has been a few days since I lost their signal?
I have also been having issues lately picking it up with my attic antenna in NW Cary.
post #15570 of 15570 Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I have also been having issues lately picking it up with my attic antenna in NW Cary.

Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page