Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 520 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #15571 of 15579 Old 08-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm if the TWC Starter TV package (20 or so local channels) is DRM free? I was thinking about the hdhomerun prime with the Channels app on Apple TV but it doesnt support DRM channels. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15572 of 15579 Old 08-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beazster View Post
Can anyone confirm if the TWC Starter TV package (20 or so local channels) is DRM free?
If by "DRM free" you mean "works without a DTA", then no.

I currently have the TWC "Starter TV" package and they went full digital and scrambled everything a few years ago. If you connect the cable directly to an HDTV without a DTA, it doesn't work.

I'll be dumping Starter TV shortly. As soon as I decide on an HDTV antenna to install in my attic.
Retspin likes this.
post #15573 of 15579 Old 09-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a question for anyone in the Raleigh market with DirecTV who get WFMY and WGHP as "Significantly Viewed" channels. It appears large portions (or all?) of Chatham and Orange counties get those two channels in addition to the Raleigh locals.

Are these added channels (WFMY and WGHP) in HD in those counties, or just in SD? Are there any blackouts on them of network programming?
post #15574 of 15579 Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I have a question for anyone in the Raleigh market with DirecTV who get WFMY and WGHP as "Significantly Viewed" channels. It appears large portions (or all?) of Chatham and Orange counties get those two channels in addition to the Raleigh locals.

Are these added channels (WFMY and WGHP) in HD in those counties, or just in SD? Are there any blackouts on them of network programming?
If they are available, it would be just like the Raleigh channels (HD).
post #15575 of 15579 Old 09-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

According to the Directv website, WFMY and WGHP are not in HD. I lived near there for a while and got 3 VA channels as significantly viewed, all SD. WGHP and other Greensboro DMA stations are available in several counties in VA (as SV) but are HD there. It will never make sense to me. There were never any network blackouts in my experience with SV in the area, including sports on those channels.
post #15576 of 15579 Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
According to the Directv website, WFMY and WGHP are not in HD. I lived near there for a while and got 3 VA channels as significantly viewed, all SD. WGHP and other Greensboro DMA stations are available in several counties in VA (as SV) but are HD there. It will never make sense to me. There were never any network blackouts in my experience with SV in the area, including sports on those channels.
I believe one of the engineers has stated previously that most stations only send an HD signal to the cable and satellite companies, and it is these service providers who choose to downgrade the signal to SD in the secondary markets. Which is silly and pointless to me, and one of the reasons I use an antenna for neighboring regional markets. I use an antenna in Greenville, SC to view WBTV from Charlotte with a nice strong signal and clear picture.

In eastern NC, I know WRAL has been carried on many systems outside the Raleigh DMA, but not sure if HD or SD. And unfortunately in the last year it has now been dropped by some systems, possibly as a result of the affiliate change from CBS to NBC. I would hope an antenna would maintain reception in many areas, but perhaps not all. But WRAL has major NC news, weather, and political coverage concerning state govt. and is a station deserving of carriage, especially in HD as the first in the nation. And now they are developing 4K transmission. Well deserved significantly viewed status.
post #15577 of 15579 Old 09-25-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

I am not sure if DirecTV carries any Charlotte stations in Gaffney, SC. But all of the major Charlotte signals are available with strong reception with an antenna via over the air. Except possibly WAXN or WTVI could be a bit problematic. And WBTV and WSOC are carried on Charter Cable, but unfortunately only in SD which makes no sense to me. And ironically some of the Charlotte signals such as WBTV may be easier to receive in Cherokee County than some of the official market stations from Asheville and Greenville-Spartanburg.

But if any local station is carried on cable or satellite, it should be HD rather than SD zoomed in. Regardless of the designated market.
post #15578 of 15579 Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I believe one of the engineers has stated previously that most stations only send an HD signal to the cable and satellite companies, and it is these service providers who choose to downgrade the signal to SD in the secondary markets. Which is silly and pointless to me, and one of the reasons I use an antenna for neighboring regional markets. I use an antenna in Greenville, SC to view WBTV from Charlotte with a nice strong signal and clear picture.

In eastern NC, I know WRAL has been carried on many systems outside the Raleigh DMA, but not sure if HD or SD. And unfortunately in the last year it has now been dropped by some systems, possibly as a result of the affiliate change from CBS to NBC. I would hope an antenna would maintain reception in many areas, but perhaps not all. But WRAL has major NC news, weather, and political coverage concerning state govt. and is a station deserving of carriage, especially in HD as the first in the nation. And now they are developing 4K transmission. Well deserved significantly viewed status.
Yes, Directv claims the stations send them both while the stations claim to send them only one signal. I believe it was Foxeng who said that they send one signal with the instructions to letterbox for SD so things weren't chopped off and I would believe him over any CSR at Directv.

My current SD locals (Boston) chop everything. You can't read the score on the ABC games. CBS graphics are chopped. Fox SD is letterboxed, though, and ion, the independents, Spanish networks are all severely chopped. Thankfully, those are rarely needed and the HD is, of course, perfect. My SV locals are an HD-only market (Burlington, VT) so I get those in HD.

WRAL was not available via satellite or cable where I lived, but it's OTA signal was strong and nearly flawless, so it was like I had WRAL when using the AM21 tuner.
post #15579 of 15579 Old Today, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't get either WFMY or WGHP (they don't show up in my on screen guide).

They DO show up in the directv online Guide when i login to directv.com. They both show up as SD only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page