Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 521 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #15601 of 15615 Old 02-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well, today's Indiana / Wisconsin game, the CBS NCAA feed on local channel 17.1, proved me, um,... optimistic? about the 5.1 sound on broadcast sports feeds.

I was hearing something odd in the crowd sound, so finally just dropped the center channel out. The remaining 4.1 sound was... interesting. But not in a good way. The crowd sound was amazingly compressed, and using a poorly set up compressor. The result made the crowd sound seem to "breath" up and down. It was especially odd when the home team made a basket -- the crowd sound would jump up with lots of clapping and shouting -- which the compressor dutifully stomped the crap out of, but only after half a second or so -- so you got a wave of clapping that suddenly dropped off, and by that I mean way off, close to silence.

This wasn't easy to hear with the center channel active since they had the arena sound so low in the mix, but it did manage to make a sell-out sound like a bunch of empty seats. The crowd sounds were actually down around the level of the sneaker squeeks and ball bounce sounds, and underneath what happens when the ball hits the rim, which was ridiculously loud in comparison to the other sounds in the mix.

And today's game was a marked improvement over the sound from the Pitt / Duke game on... Thursday? The "take the arena PA announcer out" trick just destroyed the crowd sound there. Yucko. I've been to games at Cameron, it's small and loud, nothing like what they gave us.

Ah well. I upgraded to 5.1 for blu-rays and Netfilx, not for broadcast. I shouldn't be so disappointed. But the broadcasters should be -- they can do a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15602 of 15615 Old 02-23-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 247
So what's the deal with the new channel relocation I've been hearing about moving everything below 36 that will be happening in the foreseeable future? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LG OLED55E6P UHD TV
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD BD Player
Denon AVR-S710W Atmos AV Receiver
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box
Roku 2 Streaming Media Box
post #15603 of 15615 Unread 03-01-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
So what's the deal with the new channel relocation I've been hearing about moving everything below 36 that will be happening in the foreseeable future? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's some discussion about it in the HDTV Technical forum.

AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum

It really only affects OTA viewers, because it affects the "real frequency" RF channels, not the "virtual" channel numbers that the stations are known by. For example WRAL is known as (and will continue to be known as) Channel 5, even though it has been broadcasting on RF 48 for quite a few years now. When the "repack" happens, WRAL will get a new RF channel number in the range from 2 to 36. The repack should not have much impact on OTA viewers unless a station winds up on VHF (RF 2 through 13), which could require the viewer to get a different kind of antenna.
Daryl L likes this.

post #15604 of 15615 Unread 03-02-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
There's some discussion about it in the HDTV Technical forum.

AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum

It really only affects OTA viewers, because it affects the "real frequency" RF channels, not the "virtual" channel numbers that the stations are known by. For example WRAL is known as (and will continue to be known as) Channel 5, even though it has been broadcasting on RF 48 for quite a few years now. When the "repack" happens, WRAL will get a new RF channel number in the range from 2 to 36. The repack should not have much impact on OTA viewers unless a station winds up on VHF (RF 2 through 13), which could require the viewer to get a different kind of antenna.
Thanks for the info. As for antennas, I have continued to use the old large UHF/VHF rooftop antenna with a rotor like I have always used.

LG OLED55E6P UHD TV
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD BD Player
Denon AVR-S710W Atmos AV Receiver
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box
Roku 2 Streaming Media Box
post #15605 of 15615 Unread 03-02-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Thanks for the info. As for antennas, I have continued to use the old large UHF/VHF rooftop antenna with a rotor like I have always used.
Then you should be in good shape regardless of how the repack plays out. I have not heard that any of the stations in this market chose to give up their licenses in exchange for auction money, so stations may change RF channels, but they'll still be around.
Daryl L likes this.
post #15606 of 15615 Unread 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with RCA VH226F Antenna Rotator

Purchased the RCA VH226F Remote Antenna Rotator from Home Depot and was looking through the manual to see where it stopped in rotation. I know the Channel Masters used to stop at North,but I can't see anywhere in the documents that shows it or is it all controlled by the control unit inside?
post #15607 of 15615 Unread 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
post #15608 of 15615 Unread 04-14-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any chance WTVD goes to UHF with these changes? It's the only channel I can't reliably pull in with my current antenna.
post #15609 of 15615 Unread 04-14-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
WTVD is moving from 11 to 9, still on high-VHF. They will be joined by WNCN on 8.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #15610 of 15615 Unread 04-14-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus647 View Post
Any chance WTVD goes to UHF with these changes? It's the only channel I can't reliably pull in with my current antenna.
If you do not have a VHF hi band antenna, get one. Stellar labs makes an excellent one that I just put up myself... WTVD is not very strong. I could point my UHF antenna at Raleigh and get the UHF channels during the night, but WTVD has never shown itself for me since installing the VHF and pointing at their tower.
post #15611 of 15615 Unread 04-14-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
If you do not have a VHF hi band antenna, get one. Stellar labs makes an excellent one that I just put up myself... WTVD is not very strong. I could point my UHF antenna at Raleigh and get the UHF channels during the night, but WTVD has never shown itself for me since installing the VHF and pointing at their tower.
Stellar Labs makes 2 High VHF antennas sold by MCM. There is a large and small size and both are reportedly made very well. If you are in the fringe or a problem area, then I would suggest the larger version. And perhaps a low noise preamp. And some local poster previously stated he got better results with the antenna placed sideways or tilted upward because of the circular polarity from WTVD. But you would have to experiment there.
post #15612 of 15615 Unread 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That was me. I've got mine oriented vertically to null out WNCT on RF10, who is horizontally polarized. Otherwise their signal overloads my receivers and wipes out WTVD.

I'm very close (line of sight; I can see the tower beacons) to WNCT though. It might not be necessary further from their tower.
post #15613 of 15615 Unread Today, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WTVD is moving from 11 to 9, still on high-VHF. They will be joined by WNCN on 8.
I have to ask: if there's not another station taking over channel 11, why is WTVD moving to 9? Or is there someone else actually moving to 11? And if so, why aren't they moving to 9 and WTVD staying where it is?

It probably makes perfectly good sense, but since I don't understand it it's looking a little like musical chairs to me right now.
post #15614 of 15615 Unread Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
I have to ask: if there's not another station taking over channel 11, why is WTVD moving to 9? Or is there someone else actually moving to 11? And if so, why aren't they moving to 9 and WTVD staying where it is?

It probably makes perfectly good sense, but since I don't understand it it's looking a little like musical chairs to me right now.
There's a station in Florida that won a bid to move to high-VHF. It creates a ripple effect all the way up the east coast, especially when you add in WNCN moving to high-VHF as well. 11 will be used by WHMC, which pushes WTVD off 11 and onto 9, WHMC's old channel. That, in turn, forces WSKY off 9 and onto 13, which forces WVEC of 13 and onto 11, etc.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #15615 of 15615 Unread Today, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
There's a station in Florida that won a bid to move to high-VHF. It creates a ripple effect all the way up the east coast, especially when you add in WNCN moving to high-VHF as well. 11 will be used by WHMC, which pushes WTVD off 11 and onto 9, WHMC's old channel. That, in turn, forces WSKY off 9 and onto 13, which forces WVEC of 13 and onto 11, etc.
Thanks, that makes sufficient sense for me. Broadcast physics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception