Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 15309 Old 09-26-2004, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by scsiraid
Wonder if they will be televising the Miami-Pittsburg game here... Im a Miami fan and would love to see the game.

My brother told me the game was only being shown locally in Miami and Pittsburgh. I think he got this from the Steelers website.

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 05:43 AM

HDTV Guide

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programm...ign=trial_list

Someone was asking about an HDTV guide a few days ago and I wanted to share this guide from HDTV Magazine. It is free while in beta and the first 5,000 people to register (free) gets it for a year. The kewl thing about this guide is that you can input what HD channels you get and don't have to scroll through shows you don't get.

Jeremiah
post #1563 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jeremiah75
HDTV Guide

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programm...ign=trial_list

Someone was asking about an HDTV guide a few days ago and I wanted to share this guide from HDTV Magazine. It is free while in beta and the first 5,000 people to register (free) gets it for a year. The kewl thing about this guide is that you can input what HD channels you get and don't have to scroll through shows you don't get.

Or TitanTV, which is free (although you do have to register to customize it), not in beta, and allows you to select what channels you want in the guide as well.
post #1564 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 11:21 AM

Hi all,

I am a DirecTV customer and just recently (this weekend) upgraded to HD with an inside OTA antenna. (Terk TV5) I live in the west Cary area (55 and High House) and I can receive all OTA HD channels well except Fox and local ABC but I can adjust antenna and make them just usable... but a bit of a pain.

I am thinking about going with either an outside antenna mounted on my roof or an antenna mounted in my antic.

I prefer to hide the antenna in the attic. Will it work "good enough" in the attic (basically third floor) since I can "almost" make my inside (first floor) work or should I have it installed on the roof? I know that the roof is the best but wonder if the attic might be sufficient.

What do you guys think? Attic, roof or (maybe) just wait until DirecTV gets all locals done next year?? (schedule may slip or other issues??)

Also, any suggestions on where to buy the antenna locally (besides Radio Shack) and who can install? I spoke to someone at NowAudio (now Tweeter) and they said I can go into their store and order one but they don't stock them.

I went to the antenna site and it suggested a medium directional antenna. (I assume for the roof)

Thanks !!
post #1565 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 AM

Augie,

I think a 4 bay bowtie in your attic will work fine for all the Raleigh DTV stations. Keep the coax run as short as possible, 50-60 ft. Use RG-6 coax.
You can buy the 4-bay bowtie - order from Ace Hardware, about $25.
The 4-bay bowtie will work far better than the Terk IMO. It takes up very little space. You can see it on the Ace Hardware web site.
You can add a second 4-bay bowtie and point it at WUNC since the WUNC-TV/DT station is in the opposite direction from the raleigh stations. You can get a pushbutton coax antenna selector switch at Lowes to allow you to select either the raleigh antenna or the WUNC antenna. That is pretty much the setup I use.
That is what I think, others may have other suggestions.

Wayne E.

Wayne Estabrooks
Chief Engineer - Transmission
UNC-TV
post #1566 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Roof mounted medium directional Antenna. Did you even have to ask ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #1567 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scooper
Roof mounted medium directional Antenna. Did you even have to ask ?

If root mounting isn't an option, a medium directional antenna in the attic is the next best solution? If you want to watch WUNC and WRAL w/o having to actually exercise, there's no good solution, right?

Erik
post #1568 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM

My antenna is mounted in the attic - get all HD channels really strong - even UPN which I couldn't get with an indoor - except, of course, WUNC - which I can't even get on normal VHF NTSC. I live in the Five Points area of Raleigh, surrounded by trees and the antenna cable comes down the outside of my three story town house and into the old TWC cable box. I use the internal cableTV wiring to distribute to three coax points in the house. No amplification required, but I am using the LG set-top boxes. Saving a ton of money now there's no TWC bill! :-)

For local installers - google HDTV antenna raleigh or cary and you should get a number of qualified listings. In my case they had a number of suggestions and in the end I decided to go with Antennas Direct DB4 type of antenna and just forget about tuning in WUNC.
post #1569 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 02:47 PM

The Voom satellite guys came back out and installed an omni-directional atenna last week. I am now able to get all the HD locals including UNC, although I don't get anything on UNC until around 7pm.
post #1570 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Given the location of WUNC (or the Roanoke Rapids equivalent) in relation to the rest of the stations - you really should put your OTA antennas outside on a rotor - so you can aim it towards the direction of the station you're trying to get. Out here in Youngsville (no ATSC tuner yet, but I'm comparing the NTSC), I can get everything, but the rotor is necessary for either channel 4 or 36 to come in their best. I'm also in heavy trees - so to go with my CM 3021 UHF antenna, I also have a Winegard UHF pre-amp - with this combination, I get an excellent picture on everything except channel 40 - it still has issues with mild snow - but I point the antennas when necessary. 22 comes in pretty good when the antenna is pointed at 5,11,17,28 and 50, but it comes in BETTER pointed slightly WEST (but not as far as 4) . My gut feeling is that when I finally get an ATSC set top box, I should be able to receive everything that's at decent power.

post #1571 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Augie05
Hi all,

I am a DirecTV customer and just recently (this weekend) upgraded to HD with an inside OTA antenna. (Terk TV5) I live in the west Cary area (55 and High House) and I can receive all OTA HD channels well except Fox and local ABC but I can adjust antenna and make them just usable... but a bit of a pain.

I am thinking about going with either an outside antenna mounted on my roof or an antenna mounted in my antic.

I prefer to hide the antenna in the attic. Will it work "good enough" in the attic (basically third floor) since I can "almost" make my inside (first floor) work or should I have it installed on the roof? I know that the roof is the best but wonder if the attic might be sufficient.

What do you guys think? Attic, roof or (maybe) just wait until DirecTV gets all locals done next year?? (schedule may slip or other issues??)

Also, any suggestions on where to buy the antenna locally (besides Radio Shack) and who can install? I spoke to someone at NowAudio (now Tweeter) and they said I can go into their store and order one but they don't stock them.

I went to the antenna site and it suggested a medium directional antenna. (I assume for the roof)

Thanks !!

I'll be glad to provide the antenna and do the install for you. I run a local Home Theater company (Carolina Home Theater). Send me a PM if you're interested.
post #1572 of 15309 Old 09-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

This is not HDTV related but Im sure there are plenty of people here that would be interested. The State-Carolina game time has been set for October 9th at 6PM, and for the second year in a row, no TV!
post #1573 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 AM

I think someone at Chapel Hill doesn't want to see the heels getting slaughtered on TV. Wouldn't that be nice in HD

Go Pack

!
post #1574 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks !!

I actually live in the very same area (55 & High House). Recently bought a Channel Master 4228 from Consumer Direct off of Wake Forest road in Raleigh. If interested in purchasing from them, call before you go since they might have to have someone pick it up from the warehouse in Garner. Anyway, I installed the antenna in my attic (equivalent to 3rd floor), and can pull in all of the stations in Garner without any problems. (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) I haven't bothered trying to get UNC however.

I'd recommend trying a couple of different antennas including the one from Ace Hardware if you can find it. (I checked the one right by Harris Teeter and they did not have it in stock) Thankfully, consumer direct has a pretty good return policy if there are any problems.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
post #1575 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 AM

Kevad,

Thanks for the feedback. I just sent you a PM. (don't know if you will get it) Just wondering... did you use a tripod in the attic to mount it? How did you run the cable?

I sent you a couple of additional questions as well.

Thanks !!
post #1576 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Kevad,

Thanks for the feedback. I just sent you a PM. (don't know if you will get it) Just wondering... did you use a tripod in the attic to mount it? How did you run the cable?

I sent you a couple of additional questions as well.

Thanks !!

Replied to PM... In case anyone else was wondering, I used the Radio Shack 15-882 to mount the antenna to my attic ceiling joist.
post #1577 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Is anyone in the Cary area having problems getting WRAZ (50-1) OTA? Roughly wed-thurs of last week my signal stopped coming in. The dreaded "weak signal" message is all that I get. Typically when this has happened in the past one of three things has happened:

1) wind shifted my outdoor antenna
2) TV simply lost signal and scanning for channels again fixes the issue
3) bad weather is rolling through the area and causing signal breakup

At this point, none of those seem to be the issue. The antenna is positioned the same as always (same position for over a year with signal being fine). I am still able to get all the other channels (5.1, 11.1, 17.1 etc...). Rescanning hasn't helped and the weather was fine until the last 48 hours.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
- michael
post #1578 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 AM

All,

I am thinking about installing a UHF only antenna in my attic as suggested by Kevad above. (thanks Kevad!) One issue I have is how to get the cable from the first floor to the attic.

Well, I found this device at Radio Shack that I can use to combine my existing DirecTV sat cable (which runs thru my attic) with the UHF antenna under consideration.

It cost $24 each and will need two. Seems a bit expensive to me.

Any issues with this device? How well will it work? Are there any other, less expensive options?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=16%2D2586

Thanks !!
post #1579 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

All,

I am thinking about installing a UHF only antenna in my attic as suggested by Kevad above. (thanks Kevad!) One issue I have is how to get the cable from the first floor to the attic.

Well, I found this device at Radio Shack that I can use to combine my existing DirecTV sat cable (which runs thru my attic) with the UHF antenna under consideration.

It cost $24 each and will need two. Seems a bit expensive to me.

Any issues with this device? How well will it work? Are there any other, less expensive options?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=16%2D2586

Thanks !!

I could not get my antenna to work with my DirecTV setup when using a diplexer. It would cause me to lose the odd transponders or all transponders depending on what I was trying. I had to run a separate cable from the antenna to make everything work. I can't recommend using diplexers.

-- Greg

post #1580 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpenwell
Is anyone in the Cary area having problems getting WRAZ (50-1) OTA? Roughly wed-thurs of last week my signal stopped coming in. The dreaded "weak signal" message is all that I get. Typically when this has happened in the past one of three things has happened:

1) wind shifted my outdoor antenna
2) TV simply lost signal and scanning for channels again fixes the issue
3) bad weather is rolling through the area and causing signal breakup

At this point, none of those seem to be the issue. The antenna is positioned the same as always (same position for over a year with signal being fine). I am still able to get all the other channels (5.1, 11.1, 17.1 etc...). Rescanning hasn't helped and the weather was fine until the last 48 hours.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
- michael

Have you tried adjusting you antenna? Just becasue it has been solid for a year doesn't necessarily mean anything. This year has been a very odd year for atmospherics. I would also make sure that all of your connections are good and tight ( and dry). Nothing has change with the fox transmission so try giving some of these a shot.

Pete
post #1581 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, if you do go the diplexer route and have multiple TV locations in your house, the 5x8 multiswitches for DirecTv will allow the antenna to come in on the 5th input and then you can diplex it back out at each location you need.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #1582 of 15309 Old 09-28-2004, 06:19 PM

I live near Lochmere in Cary and was wondering what a good indoor ant would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Vanelin
post #1583 of 15309 Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by vanelin
I live near Lochmere in Cary and was wondering what a good indoor ant would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Vanelin

Vanelin,

If you're looking for the indoor type that will sit on top of your tv, the Radio Shack 15-1880 gets great reception. Especially since you are fairly close to the towers. Plus, Radio Shack has a great return policy if it doesn't work out.

As far as attic antennas go, I'd recommend the Channel Master 3021/4221 or 4228 which seem to be popular choices. (I'm happy with my 4228)
post #1584 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 05:07 AM

I haven't been able to receive WRAZ-DT (50-1) OTA for the last week either. I live in NE Chatham County. My antenna is in the attic, so it's position hasn't changed. I'm not having any problems with any other OTA channels, just FOX50. I, too, was wondering if anyone knew what was up.

Thanks,

Steve
post #1585 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFitz1
I haven't been able to receive WRAZ-DT (50-1) OTA for the last week either.

OK, so I am certain something is happening that is outside of my setup. I checked all of my connections and positioning on Tuesday and still could not get 50.1. Then last night everything went a bit crazy. As of last night, this is what I was getting:

FOX 50 - coming in on 49.2 - this was actually the HD content
ABC 11 - coming in on 52.1 - HD content
ABC 11 - coming in on 52.2 - ABC News content
ABC 11 - coming in on 52.2 - standard broadcast on digital channel
CBS 5 - coming in on 53.2 - HD content
WB 22 - coming in on 57.2 - HD content

Basically, none of the redirects to the main channel number were working. Any idea why this may have been happening? Additionally, I couldn't get NBC 17 on any of the digital channels. Can someone tell me what their other channel is? Maybe 54.1 or something.

Also, I noticed that there was HD content on WB last night. Is that new or has the Raleigh WB been broadcasting HD for a while. I don't watch many shows on the WB so I may have just missed it.

Thanks,
- michael
post #1586 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

NBC 17's HD channel is 55

post #1587 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Is there any "." with the channel 55 or is it straight "55"?

Just out of curiosity, where are the nbc towers located? I just got an HDTV tues, did a scan, a couldn't find them, but I found all the stations that mpenwell listed.
post #1588 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vanelin
where are the nbc towers located?

You can go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address. This will tell you were all of the towers are in relationship to your house. It is the "Choose an antenna" feature. It is very helpful.

Also, to be digital it would have to be 55.1 or 55.2 etc...

- michael
post #1589 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 08:02 AM

I checked with antennaweb.org and they have the NBC station from goldboro listed at 17.1
post #1590 of 15309 Old 09-30-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The station is licensed to Goldsboro but the digital antenna is on the same tower as WRAL and WTVD near Garner.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page