AVS Forum banner

Raleigh, NC - HDTV

2M views 16K replies 879 participants last post by  LaserBeamSC 
#1 ·
Hello Raleigh/Durham area AVS folks. I have re-written this initial post and will try to make it a pointer to some relevant information about our community.

*For information about MUCH more than can be pointed out here in this intial post please USE THE SEARCH. Especially once you are within a large post, such as this one then click on the "Search this Thread" button beside the Thread Tools drop-down.

*For information about QAM reception I would direct your attention to this wonderful site maintained by Erik Garci -
http://home.roadrunner.com/~res18h39/channels.htm Digital TV Channels in Durham, NC[/url]

*For information about antenna reception (Off The Air) check out antennaweb.org. Plug in your address and it will tell you what type of antenna you need and which direction to align it.

* Our local uber-HDTV station WRAL gives away free antennas. Check out Antenna Give-away

* On the subject of free antenna's scsiraid pointed out this information. CLICK HERE

* Your physical location is often helpful in troubleshooting issues and answering questions. Be sure to edit your profile and put in your town and state.

There are a ton of good posts in the forum. My intention is not to re-write everything here in this post or to try to be the decision maker on choice A -vs- B. I would rather just have this post point out fairly routine information that is well documented.

Some posts or information I would like to point out include:

* What to ask for when calling TWC to setup your new HDTV.

* What to ask for when calling for DIRECT-TV service.

Send updates via private messages to WildBill. I will try to be prompt.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have noticed wacky stuff going on at WNCN as well. They forgot to show the Preakness in HD and when I called the engineer didn't know what I was talking about so I called early for the Belmont. It seemed they were having problems then too as they said their upconverter was out. For a while they had the pre-Belmont coverage on, then the audio from Belmont (the announcers were practicing their lines) with the video from Golf then back to golf. Hopefully they will get these bugs worked out in time for the Fall season.

I too cannot get the WUNC 4-2 HD feed. I have a E* 6000 and it shows no signal strength when I tune to 4-2 and I get a blank screen. I can see the other subchannels fine. I do get a lot of jumping back and forth between remapping to 4 and showing channel 59 though but I have not worried about it yet as I don't care to watch 4 subchannels of PBS.

#3 ·
Here in Greensboro, on my Samsung SIR-T150 STB, 4-2 has never had anything on it, even though the others do. I did see 4-1 have a 16:9 show on Alaskan lighthouses the other night, the first time I had seen anything else but 4:3. The Triad UNC relay, ch 26 (32DT) is also carrying the same 4.1 channels as well.

#4 ·
At least NBC had the normal up-convert going and the decent sound for the US Open. However the EE was horrible. Kinda interesting(and sad), switching back and forth between WRAL's re-broadcast of the HD 2001 memorial Golf tournament and the live 2002 US Open.

Ah well, I will hold out hope for the US Open TENNIS. I hope CBS comes thru this year.

#5 ·
Last night I again had issues with NBC, so I re-scanned for channels using my DST3K. I then had sound for NBC. Could have been a coincidence, but we will see.

I also picked up PBS 4-2 as a channel list, (showed PBS-HD) but no picture during primetime. Later scanned again (another issue) and had picture after 11:00pm, but it was the same as on 4-1. Still don't know what's up with PBS hd. Would love to see that loop everyone is talking about.

#6 ·
The unctv.org website mentions this about the HD channel 4-2:

UNC-HD: This channel feeds a demonstration loop of high definition programs and other HD programs available from PBS. Currently there is no schedule for this channel. We anticipate that DTV Schedule in high definition will be available on a regular basis starting this fall.

I spoke with a guy at UNC and he said that the Harris is at the main HD studio now installing racks and equipment. Also, he said that they are working on building the remaining 3 out of 11 towers in Asheville, Wilmington, and I think he said Jacksonville. The 20 minute demo loop won't be out OTA until all of the towers are built and the microwave links complete. Apparently you can see the demo if you have TWCable.

#7 ·
Anyone having problems with the WTVD 11-3 signal? When I switch to this channel I get the audio from 11-2 and a black picture. When I switch away to another channel I get a flash of the weather radar and then the new channel video.

BTW, this is using a E* 6000.

#8 ·
I have the 6000 as well. It used not to do this. I am not sure if this is a station problem or something that has occurred as a result of an update some months ago.

#9 ·
I noticed this a few months ago on my 6000 and meant to call them but forgot. With no rain here for so long I really haven't wanted to check the radar in a while til the other night. I guess I will try and call them this afternoon.

#10 ·
I'm able to receive 11-3 OK on my Samsung T-150 here in Greenville. It may be an issue specific to the E* 6000.

Regards,

Gary

#11 ·
I also missed the meeting and tour, but I am now working for a local company http://www.lulutechcircus.com that in planning a technology type show in Raleigh in late September. One of the areas that I am trying to get covered is HT/HD. Check out the website to find out more about the show.

One of the areas that Lulu Tech Circus is focusing on is "usergroups". I was hoping we could make some progress on forming a Home Theater Usergroup in the Triangle. I would be willing to devote some time and I will try and get my company to donate some money/hosting to the project.

Anyone interested?

John Turner

Apex, NC

#12 ·
FYI - Fun stuff...

I was at the Durham Bulls game tonight. We had some good box seats and I noticed 3 camera's behind me. Went up with my kids and while they checked out the mascot, I checked out the cameras.

The one Panasonic had HD on the side. I went up to the camera man and said. " I guess your with WRAL, since I see your HD camera"

He said something like "Yeah, do you get the digital signal"

And I said I had been enjoying it since the 2000 Super Bowl and how I loved the WRAL broadcasts in HD.

He was real cool, let me look thru the lens, look over the camera a bit.

I don't know much about 'production' level stuff, but it looked a bit like the other two camers (nbc & abc), but of course the lens was wide angle (16x9)

The guy seemed happy to talk and truly enjoyed his work.

Side note: I had talked with I think the NBC guy a few weeks ago at another Bulls game, I asked when they were going to go all HD.

He said something like "With the camera's at 100K a piece, only the big dog (WRAL) can afford that kinda equipment." Sounded a bit like sour grapes to me.

I again don't know squat about this type of equipment, but I thought the HD camera's were around 20K? Don't remember, but I will check the WRAL site. Of course, I remember that WRAL partnered with Panasonic, so I am sure they got a deal. Gotta go watch the 11:00pm newcast.

#14 ·
Wow...I have not been around the AVS forum in a while and I come back to a RD-F local area thread! It's great to have this info exchange regarding H/DTV in this area! A few notes that I can offer...

WUNC is not YET broadcasting in HD, but should be soon. You can pick the HD "loop" up on TWC channel 201.

WRDC and WLFL should be up by the end of the year. Remember that the WB network has planned to offer up to 3 hours of prime programming in HD next year.

WRAL-DT has been adding a bundle of new HD programs to the lineup and many are on deck. In addition to the HD movie titles (Paramount) airing on WRAL-DT that you may have noticed, a new episode of "The Business of Sports" premieres every Sat. night at 7:00p. You can also catch a repeat of the episode on Tues and Thurs at 7:00p. Cross your fingers for "Cheers" in HD next year plus some more HD movie titles. Look for Top Gun in HD in the near future.

Also, great news! The (CBS) main college football game each week will be produced in HD. I have not heard any other "definite", but from my understanding CBS Sports is really pushing for HD, so get ready!

There is a daily email that is sent out with the WRAL-DT daily schedules as well as links to industry related articles. If you would like to begin receiving the "WRAL-HD Update" click on the following url
http://www.wral.com/news/632374/index.html

and then scroll down, check "WRAL HD Update" and then submit.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for your time.

Take care and have a good night fellow digital viewers,

Jimmy Goodmon

#15 ·
Hi All and Jimmy,

Since I miss the first one, did-not know anything about. I there going to be another HD get-together sometime in the near future.

So Jimmy,

Are you hinting that WRAL-DT will be airing Cheers in HD next year. I can't wait, this show give me more laughs then any other show ever on TV. And to see it in HD will be awesome. Hey looks like I be buying a lot of blank D-VHS tapes.

#16 ·
Well I'll be. A whole 'nuther side of Triangle enthusiests

I don't visit this forum very often, but I just happened by and saw this thread. I don't know if you're interested in Digital Front Projectors, but I invite you to visit this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=1210017

We will try to demo HDTV as well.

#17 ·
jgoodmon,
Quote:
WRDC and WLFL should be up by the end of the year

According to Anttennaweb.org and titantv both are scheduled to go live August 10th. You think they will miss that date?

Also, since WRAL and WRAZ are affiliated with each other maybe you can mention to WRAZ that their Black Level(contrast) or something is off and has been for quite some time. The commercials seem to look ok but that could be because they generally don't have any dark scenes but the shows dark scenes look washed out or kinda foggy. Back in the Fall WRAZ was not like this. This started sometime during the Winter. And this is only noticeable on WRAZ not WRAL, WTVD nor WNCN.

#18 ·
Any word on WRDC UPN 28 and WLFL WB 22 yet. According to Antennaweb.org and titantv.com both are scheduled to go live with their digital channel on August 10th. Thats this coming Saturday.

P.S. jgoodmon, appears that WRAZ-DT fixed their black level problem.

#19 ·
Well, It looks like WRDC UPN 28 and WLFL WB 22 aren't going to start their digital transmitions today. I've seen no signal at all from them and TitanTV as of today lists them as being Under Review. That stinks.