Well the antenna just don't work! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a while back about buying a RCA small outside anttenna and I guess it's ok for a small antenna. There is no difference between the new and my old 45 year old Channel master.

Tyler what do you think about the RCA ANT3036? It has good reviews but it's a huge antenna that I probably need being surrounded by mountains and trees.. I can get it at Wallyworld for $79.95 but Amazon has got them for $64. WM is great on returns but IDK about Amazon..as far as shipping. I heard Best Buy will match anyones price- wonder if WM will do the same. If there's another good one let me know..I just wanna do this One more time! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would go with a Winegard 7696 or the bigger 7698. You don't need the large old school antennas for Low VHF. These newer models are designed for HiVHF 7-13, and UHF. That is what you need for this area. And perhaps a Winegard 269 or 8700 preamp. And similar Antennacraft versions are HBU-33 or HBU-55. You can try the Antennacrafts from Radioshack, but best prices are probably Solid Signal or similar online vendors. Winegard has better build quality.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I would go with a Winegard 7696 or the bigger 7698. You don't need the large old school antennas for Low VHF. These newer models are designed for HiVHF 7-13, and UHF. That is what you need for this area. And perhaps a Winegard 269 or 8700 preamp. And similar Antennacraft versions are HBU-33 or HBU-55. You can try the Antennacrafts from Radioshack, but best prices are probably Solid Signal or similar online vendors. Winegard has better build quality.

Thats good to know- I really don't want a huge antenna unless I have to. I tried the HBU-33 and it didn't work for me. Even though my avatar shows Greenville, I'm actually in Pickens with a lot of mountains and trees. Does Radio shack carry Wineguard? Lot higher but an easy return.

It seems they all say from 7 & up. Does this mean I can't get channel 4? Also what is HiVHF?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi VHF channels are 7 thru 13. UHF is now limited to 14 thru 51. And WYFF no longer broadcasts on physical channel 4. The channel 4 branding is now only used for identity purposes. They actually broadcast now on UHF channel 36, which optimally requires a UHF antenna to receive. But the digital tuner displays it as 4.1. So these newer combo antennas from Winegard are ideally designed for channels 7-51. But then there's a chance the Channel Master 4228HD may work as well, for both Hi VHF and definitely UHF.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Hi VHF channels are 7 thru 13. UHF is now limited to 14 thru 51. And WYFF no longer broadcasts on physical channel 4. The channel 4 branding is now only used for identity purposes. They actually broadcast now on UHF channel 36,

Maybe the FCC should pass a rule that says that when stations do their required station identifications, in addition to displaying the city of license they have to also have a voice-over announcing the RF channel on which they are broadcasting. Something like

"This is WYFF Channel 4, Greenville, SC, broadcasting over-the-air on licensed UHF channel 36."

I'm sure the cable companies would just love a rule like that!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
or, better still, screw the cable companies! It should say this is WYFF channel 36, thanks for being here..... wink.gif

Bobby 

post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

or, better still, screw the cable companies! It should say this is WYFF channel 36, thanks for being here..... wink.gif
They were known as "Your Friend Four" for years, so I seriously doubt the Channel 4 brand is going anywhere. But they could say "WYFF-4, RF36," or something like that. Just like WRAL, WBTV, and WSOC are very well known by their analog branding of channels 5, 3, and 9. Those analog numbers still remain important branding for many stations in many markets, but it would be good to mention the actual RF channels as an assistance to those who use an antenna and don't deal with cable.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Or the FCC could do away with their mandated PSIP branding and everyone would simply get used to the new actual channel branding....

Bobby 

post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
But, then, we'd have to also identify as "83-011" on Cable for SDTV, "653" on Cable for HDTV, "123 degrees/Transponder-22 (right-hand circular), VPID 5604,.............." on DISH, etc, etc, etc.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page