Need help getting DTV! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

So I'm new here. Heard a lot about this forum in the past but just joined. Having a bit of an issue that I cannot figure out. I'll try to provide enough info.

So I've been a cable cutter for the last 2 years but decided I wanted some stations now rather then netflix so I wanted to get some local stations. So here is how it played out. I have an upstairs, 2 story apartment so reception wouldn't be an issue I think.

I have a few yrs old Vizio M320NV. I bought an RCA Indoor Antenna ANT121R and hooked it up. Vizio says my TV has an ATSC tuner inside it. I was not receiving any stations. I tried it with the antenna mounted on top of a book case about 2 feet from the ceiling and also tried it with the antenna sitting near the TV in a window. I made sure the TV tuner was set to antenna and not cable and was not able to pick up any stations.

A local friend told me to get a DTV converter box because TVs cannot tune to stations 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 9.1, etc which is what our local stations are. So I went out and bought a RCA DTA800B1 converter box and hooked it up. I still cannot pick up any stations. Tried the antenna in a few different spots and played with it a bit. I also made sure there are no splitters between the antenna and the DTV box.

I went to http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/ and my zip code is 43713. It says I should be picking up some stations. I've tried online help guides but cannot figure it out

So I know the DTV converter box works because my apartment is wired up for surround sound so there is an FM antenna on the roof. I tapped into the and ran it into the DTV box and it then picked up a few stations like 44.1, 44.2, etc but not the local 7 and 9 VHF stations.

The only thing I can think of is to return the RCA antenna and try another one as maybe it is defective. any ideas on this issue?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The only thing likely to be picked up in that area with a basic indoor antenna is a single PBS station.

Either:

1) Wait until tomorrow morning and run your TVFool plot with your exact address.

2) If you want to do it tonight, get your exact coordinates and enter them directly into TVFool's analysis function. (They've used up their daily allowance of Google geocoding accesses for the day).

Then, post the LINK to the report. Follow the instructions on that page for sharing.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So THAT'S the issue with TVFool lately. Good to know. Thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Your prospects for reception with any indoor antenna are pretty bleak (and that's being generous!). You're well south of where the generic zip code placed you.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Okay well thanks for the help!
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
I'm puzzled. Your initial post said you were in the 43713 ZIP code (Barnesville OH), but your TV Fool coordinates puts you about 30 miles south of Barnesville. Are you sure you got the latitude right? Barnesville would be about 39° 59', not 39.59°, which is actually 39° 35'. If you meant 39° 59', then that should be 39.98°, as 59/60 = 0.98 (roughly). If you did give the right coordinates, then ProjectSHO89's assessment is spot on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The trials of an indoor antenna can be tricky: I used to live with eyesight of the Empire State Building on the 8th story of an apartment building and it was always a crapshoot if I got a good signal or not [had to twist the antenna this way for these channels, that way for the others...etc]...

At the second floor with most likely an apartment building in front or behind you the chances get way less, I got the best results with a Terk antenna that looked like a fish's skeleton [can't remember the model number]

I know live in a 1st floor rear of a 5 story brownstone: not a smidge of a signal..did go to the roof with a portable TV with a digital tuner and got most OTA channels... but felt no need to run an antenna since I have cable, but now that TWC is going to scramble even clearQAM I might consider it, but the landlord is kinda of a douche about it [but I also don't want the chance of some lightning strike either eek.gif ]
post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amathias1108 View Post

Here is the link to the TVFool results

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d0559680f15c928evc
These data also OK
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List