Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 9280 Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else's ABCHD on Cox screwed up during Alias. I getting a widescreen picture squished into a 4X3 picture size? Also I'm not getting 5.1 sound like I should be. Does anyone know if this is ABC's problem or Cox's problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9280 Old 04-14-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
lvthunder,

I didn't catch Alias last night as it was a re-run. Perhaps that had something to do with it?
post #363 of 9280 Old 04-14-2003, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by doormat
Yea reallly,

And, two options will be available for copy protection interfaces between the set-top and the HDTV or other consumer electronics equipment - DVI with HDCP and 1394 with 5C (NCTA/CEA Plug and Play requirements).

It would be great to just be able to use firewire... too bad they dont say if its HAVi compatible...

I sent Cox an email asking if they would be ordering any of these. They sent me back a response (which I deleted already, sorry) that basically said they always strive to provide the best equipment for their customers, blah, blah, blah.....but currently they don't have any new HD receivers, and that if they get anything new, customers will be notified somehow. Something like that.

GO LAKERS!!!
post #364 of 9280 Old 04-14-2003, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is anyone else's ABCHD on Cox screwed up during Alias. I getting a widescreen picture squished into a 4X3 picture size? Also I'm not getting 5.1 sound like I should be. Does anyone know if this is ABC's problem or Cox's problem?

COX retransmits whatever is given to them onto a QAM carrier. They do not have the capability or equipment to change, modify or alter the broadcasters signal in any way. What you see on cable is what you would see OTA barring any signal loss issues like mountains being in the way

Re: SA3250HD
Quote:

I sent Cox an email asking if they would be ordering any of these. They sent me back a response (which I deleted already, sorry) that basically said they always strive to provide the best equipment for their customers, blah, blah, blah...

This could go a few ways... I heard they were almost out of the 5000 original 3100HD boxes, so they could buy more (new or old??) - OR - They are still waiting for Pioneer to release their HDPVR box this year and will shift back to Pioneer (heard whoever actually releases them gets a hefty contract from COX). Alternatively, the market share of boxes is being shifted back to the consumer. Best Buy and Circuit City are selling HD Digital cable boxes in several COX markets, including Oklahoma City and Phoenix. They may forgo the expenditure ($2.5 MIL last year[5000*500]) and let the retail market purchase their own equipment. Current sales of digital cable boxes go for around $500. We will have to wait and see.
New news:
Looks like NBC is testing the HD signal. Once it is established we will get NBC HD OTA and then it's feed to COX on 733. It would be interesting if NBCSHIVA or another local worker would mention upcoming testing times (3:00 AM?)even if they are low power tests.
It's been heard CBS will have an SD digital signal real soon. Following ABC and NBC, as well as FOX, WB, UPN and all the other local stations with digital non-HD signals. Once CBS is on board, it's just a few steps away from seeing an all (or nearly all) digital cable lineup available. The NBCD on 123 is a good test for this argument. At my house, they (analog vs digital)look virtually identical, but older homes with poor wiring, different parts of the valley (strong ingress from OTA signal) and multiple amped long runs (older fringe areas - i.e. towards boulder city) suffer the worst. Those with poor analog reception could benefit from "digital to the box" quality. Since analog will still be available, "digital" subs could have the entire lineup mapped over the analog numbers if analog is completely covered over. The downside is that it would a eat a LOT of bandwidth, perhaps limiting future new HD channels until some or most of the analog channels are removed. It would be a toss up that HD may lose - Deliver all digital content to 500,000 customers or deliver a new HD channel to 5000.
Once again it is all speculation, and based on rumors, whispers and news bites, but it's usually close.

vegggas
post #365 of 9280 Old 04-14-2003, 10:05 PM

Hmmm.. all digital locals... or at least the main 7 (abc, cbs, fox, nbc, pbs, upn, wb) would only eat up a little more than 1 HD channel's worth of bandwidth. I'd love to see the channels remapped over the analog signals, since I seem to get lots of interference on 3 and 5.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its all split up into 6MHz chunks. Each 6MHz chunk can carry about 30Mbit/s, or about 10-12 SD channels, or 1 HD channel (or two ugly lookin HD channels). So you'd only need to remove 1 analog channel to make room for all the digital locals, right?
post #366 of 9280 Old 04-14-2003, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you are correct about the 6MHZ allocation per analog channel and 30Mbps, etc. When I was referring to going digital, I meant the entire lineup. They can pull most, if not all, digital feeds from the sats and digital feeds from the locals and provide an entire digital lineup from source feeds to the customers set top box. This would have to be in addition to the current analog feeds, so equipment costs would be duplicated for all the recurring channels, with digital processors and FCC mandated digital emergency interrupters (?) (the things that go beep in the night and crawl across the screen when you are half asleep...) etc.
Besides bandwidth additions and equipment costs, there are the agreements that each station would have to give for rebroadcast. Digital doesn't equal analog and one doesn't apply to the other if the station is still broadcasting analog. Also retransmit is governed by either a lower budget station asking to be carried for free, OR larger stations requesting fees to be put on cable. Each case is unique, confidential and must come to an agreement before something like this would be possible.
Anyway, a few local channels would not market as well as an entire digital lineup could. Imagine an ad that says 95% digital and a few analog stations. As for remapping the channels, it would probably be done in blocks and need entire sections for the remapping to work correctly. An analog channel stuck in the middle would disrupt the mapping sequence.

vegggas
post #367 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Any word as to when the EOD will be available to everyone? Does anyone have access to it now? It is on Channel 998.
post #368 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how much EOD will cost? I received a flier in the mail but the only thing it left out was the price.
post #369 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

EOD is available in certain areas and hubs as mentioned earlier in this thread. It should be throughout the valley before the end of summer. Pricing is, as far as I know is multi optioned. One option is for subscription, like if you want HBO for EOD, you might pay a flat fee of $9.99 for all HBO programming. The other option is pay per view. Pay a fee for each program you watch. Each program has a fee from $1 - $4 depending on content. This would be useful for someone who doesn't get HBO, but would like to see the entire season of Sopranos. It is not in my area yet, but tune to 998 for more info and details.

vegggas
post #370 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't they require you to sub to the channel to get it EOD.
post #371 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 05:53 PM

Anyone know what's wrong with PBS demo 10-1 or 11-1??? It disappeared for the last 20 hours or so. Not even sound. The signal strengh from my ant. is still between 98-100% for this channel.
post #372 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lvthunder
Wouldn't they require you to sub to the channel to get it EOD.

Not quite sure what you are asking, but Ill take a guess. The way I heard it explained was if you are an HBO subscriber. You could have acces to the entire library of HBO content for a flat fee. Alternatively, you could pick each program and pay the one time fee even if you are not subscribed to HBO or whatever.
When you say "get it EOD", I'm get the feelilng you are thinking Tivo style pause and control of any live HBO or other showing at your STB. EOD is Entertainment On Demand. A library of programs already stored and being updated in a massive file system that you have instant access to at any time. Think of a Tivo or Replay server unit for the entire city that has terrabytes of harddrive space. You select whatever "recording" you want based on the current catagories and listings you want.
If you are a daytime drama fan, you could order up the entire week of shows on the weekend or catch an entire season of "24" on a sick day. Did you miss "Band of Brothers"? Watch it from start to finish whenever you want.

vegggas
post #373 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by holycowe
Anyone know what's wrong with PBS demo 10-1 or 11-1??? It disappeared for the last 20 hours or so. Not even sound. The signal strengh from my ant. is still between 98-100% for this channel.

Just checked it out 7:45PM and I see upconverted programming???
Are they filling out the demo loop with actual PBS content now??? I see the same signal on COX 731 and OTA 11.1. No problems with signal level off my 24" piece of wire connected to the wall plate. Graph shows about 40-50% with clean picture.
Also, two of the test channels above HD on COX have SD content. I clearly see nickelodian duplicated on one test channel and Discovery Health on the other. The two others are either blank or not authorized.
Somethings up...
8:00 PM update. Looks like the Demo loop is back on. Watching NJN Touring loop. Odd the OTA channels have weird (off a few hours) time displays in the data stream.

vegggas
post #374 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

What I meant by get it EOD was exactly what you said. I just didn't think that HBO would let someone buy just The Sopranos. I tried seeing what this is all about by going to channel 998, but I get an error message. This really isn't surprising to me as my box screwed up last Sunday. Also does anyone know if you are suppost to turn the box off at night. With everything I've read on this EOD I think I'll stick with TiVo. I currently have the Hughes HDVR2 DirectiVo. Hopefully Directv will offer the Home Media Option soon so I can play MP3's on it too.
post #375 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not 100% about HBO, but it's what I heard. I won't get activiation in my area until July/August, so I can't confirm that persoanlly.
I'm curious about the error message you are getting for EOD. If it's the "technical Difficulties" - "..Session Problem (3)" than the service is NOT available on your hub yet. All other messages are unknown to me... Does the card say service starts April or May 1st in your area?
Turning Off - SA and COX say to turn it off when not in use to get downloads, etc. I leave all 4 of mine on 24/7 and I have 3 different types. Things are usually ok, but I do a forced reboot and download about once a month for the heck of it.
EOD and Tivo. I have two Replay's; 1 modded to 80 hours and the other networked and not modded (I use Replay showstopper because there is no service agreement or fees and I can record any viewable source, including locals, VCR, cable, PC and other analog sources). Sometimes I'm not in the mood for what I already have or have played through what I've got. The idea of going back to see the start of a series that I overlooked earlier or that someone at worked mentioned seems like a good payoff. I don't watch too many things live anymore and miss some of the "new" shows that may become hits later and wonder what I missed.

Vegggas

p.s. the replays with network can play mp3 and swap pc files and mpegs with just a little tweaking
v
post #376 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 11:06 PM

Hey vegggas, wanna see something cool? Got a PS2?

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/qcast/qcast-1.html
post #377 of 9280 Old 04-15-2003, 11:37 PM

I don't know what's wrong! Still no PBS after re-scan. Signal show 98-100%
post #378 of 9280 Old 04-16-2003, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to drop a quick note that I had Eliab of Avical.com calibrate my Panny 53wx42. Everything went great and he was very polite and straightforward. He spent about 4 hours at my house and I am now enjoying my calibrated TV. Colors seem very accurate right now and I played a bit of Monsters Inc. and it looks Fantastic!
post #379 of 9280 Old 04-17-2003, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
I had Gregg Loewen come out last August and then again during CES for a touch up on my Sony. Man, what a difference. He spent about the same amount of time Eliab spent with you. Well worth every penny!

On another note, is there a model number for the new HD PVR Pioneer box that someone saw at CES?
post #380 of 9280 Old 04-21-2003, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The Cox website is showing prices for "Digital Gateway" as $5.00*
with
Quote:

* A minimum subscription to Cox Basic and a digital cable box required.

and also says that you need digital to get HD on the HD pricing page .
Does this mean that the pricing went down for those that wanted a more basic package just to get HD?

vegggas

p.s. rumor only!! I heard there might be another test for OTA NBC late tonight, but my source is not very reliable. If anyone is up all night, it may be worth it to scan for NBC again (both dtv channels). I'll try during Leno.
v
post #381 of 9280 Old 04-21-2003, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Vegggas, thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if Cox will be getting the NBA HD feed?
post #382 of 9280 Old 04-24-2003, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Veggas posted this in the ESPN thread in the programing forum.

Quote:

ESPN is a pay Channel. Always was and always will be. You pay for it in either a pacakge deal or al al cart. Here in Vegas, I have a choice of either purchasing ESPN SD or ESPN HD. To get ESPN HD, I do not have to already subscribe to the package with ESPN SD. This, in effect, gives me ESPN HD for $1.99 instead of ESPN sd for $1.99. What's the problem with that? If I have to pay for it anyway, I'm glad I have the HD version.

My question is do you know anybody that has done this? When I signed up they wouldn't let me get HD without expanded basic and digital cable.
post #383 of 9280 Old 04-24-2003, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Things have changed here in neon city - Go see the website
Cox Las Vegas Home

The Basic service is only $8.91.
Basic service - $8.91
ESPN SD is on the Preferred basic package where almost ALL of the networks require individual user fees, including ESPN.

If you dont want the SD version, you don't have to pay for all of those channels. But, since it is ANALOG, it can be picked up by any cable ready tuner, so they group them all together and filter them off outside of your residence if you don't want to pay for them. This is why there is packaging and grouping of Analog channels.
Also found out that the previous cable co (Prime), skimped on filters, so a good portion of the "basic" users were getting the full analog feeds without paying for service. Until the inventory was started and quality of lines were established, they had to require a preferred basic to get digital, assuming if your signal looked bad on the upper analog channels, then digital would drop out.

The gateway to digital is now $5.00 and HD requires that you have a digital feed.
Digital Gateway - $5.00* Requires Minimum of Cox Basic This sounds a bit different than what I heard a few months ago and lets HD customers be digital customers so that they get the interactive guide, music, digital PPV and EOD.
This sounds like a move to a full digital system - eventually. They still won't be able to drop the analog for a long, long, long time. But imagine if they simulcast digital feeds of the basic package, then this customer could watch the entire basic and digital lineup in digital. The preferred basic might cost too much in retransmit fees at this early stage in the game, but it looks promising for the future.

vegggas
post #384 of 9280 Old 04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Gleaming info from the website, here is how I think it could be broken down.

Basic Service $8.91
Digital Gateway - $5.00* (*Must have basic)
HDTV Converter $9.95
HDTV Remote $0.22
Discovery HD TheaterĀ® and ESPN HD (Must have Digital) $6.99
Total of 5 (for now) HD channels without the 4 for HBO and SHO

Looks like it MAY be possible to get 5 HD channels for as low as 31.07 plus the taxes each month. This is WITHOUT having to purchase any recieving equipment! If anyone would/could do it, it would probably be lvthunder

vegggas
post #385 of 9280 Old 04-24-2003, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
Gleaming info from the website, here is how I think it could be broken down.
Basic Service $8.91
Digital Gateway - $5.00* (*Must have basic)
HDTV Converter $9.95
HDTV Remote $0.22
Discovery HD TheaterĀ® and ESPN HD (Must have Digital) $6.99
Total of 5 (for now) HD channels without the 4 for HBO and SHO
Looks like it MAY be possible to get 5 HD channels for as low as 31.07 plus the taxes each month. This is WITHOUT having to purchase any recieving equipment! If anyone would/could do it, it would probably be lvthunder
vegggas

Just got off the phone with a nery nice rep... At first they didn't know... but...
If you ask a rep (NICELY!) to do a search in the system for the minimum service required for HD, then it looks like you now, ONLY need BASIC service and an HD box (plus taxes) to get HD locals!
That translates to HD for under $20
However the digital gateway is HIGHLY reccomended for the interactive program guide, access to EOD, digital PPV and the wildcard HD feeds like the NBA Allstar game etc.
Whoo hoo!!!

vegggas
post #386 of 9280 Old 04-25-2003, 07:34 PM

Yes, I can confirm what vegggas is reporting about the digital gateway package for HDTV.

I was able to switch my package to:

Basic Service $8.91
Digital Gateway $5.00* (*Must have basic)
HDTV Converter $9.95
HDTV Remote $0.22
Discovery HD TheaterĀ® and ESPN HD $6.99

in early April for the total of $31.07/monthly fee.

But this was after some very poor customer service experiences involving multiple phone calls, overcharges, and at least two or three hours of holding time over the last couple of months. The customer service reps are real hit-and-miss, but I think they are slowly starting to get it together regarding HDTV. I was going to drop Cox and stick with DirecTV but I had a hard time giving up the HD.

What I like about this package is it complements my $31.99 DirecTV Total Choice Package with little, if any, overlap of channels. This allows me to keep my DirecTivo for most channels while enjoying some HDTV content. The best of both worlds, for now. My total TV programming costs are pretty hefty with both Cox and DirecTV combined, though - probably about $72-$73/month - so I will have to pare it down, eventually. I will have to checkout the HD for under $20 package vegggas refers to, but I'm not looking forward to another customer service call.

Now if only Cox would upgrade the Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD box...
post #387 of 9280 Old 04-25-2003, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Vegggas was saying you could drop the digital gateway and Discovery and ESPN and only get the HD local channels. You would also lose the program guide and EOD. I'm going to go with Keyon for my internet access ($25 for the same 1.5 meg service) I'm going to drop down to what Dick Diablo has unless Directv gets ESPN-HD then I'll get it from them. I really like my Directv box better than the SA 3100HD.
post #388 of 9280 Old 04-26-2003, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

lvthunder,

Let me know how the Keyon thing works out. What is their mode of transmission? DSL? Will they go to 3 meg service? I just got Cox's 3 service, but it is $49 a month (they got me on that "its only $10 more a month" spiel"). Now my cable bill is over $150!!!.
post #389 of 9280 Old 04-26-2003, 01:18 PM

I just ordered ..
HD ESPN
HD Locals
HD Showtime +all digital and standard
HD HBO + all digital and Standard
HD Discovery
+ Stars and Encore
EOD
Basic cable and expanded
3mb cable modem line..

all for 107.00 a month in the Green Valley Ranch area.
I had to do a direct pay from my checking account for 1 year contract to get this deal though.

Was is a bad deal? Please help since i have time left to cancel.
post #390 of 9280 Old 04-26-2003, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's a bad deal! What else could you possibly get? You have the entire analog (preferred basic is the most expensive at $28.95) Looks like all of the digital movies, except TMC and Cinemax. You've also got 9 HD channels and a tenth coming soon. Add the cable modem service at the 3 megabyte download level and this should be in the $140 price range.
At your price, that sounds like a fantastic deal - AND you don't have to buy anything upfront (I assume you are buying and not renting the modem).
One note about EOD - it's a PPV service, so technically you have it just like the 45 PPV channels - although I heard there is some free content available.

vegggas
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page