post #451 of 9223 Old 06-13-2003, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by doormat
Replying to the last myriad of posts....

vegggas:

1. All Tivos have a single analog input, cept for the sat based ones (which have none).

My post only said the DIRECTIVOS were unable to record analog... I was unable to record anything from cable (especially networks) VHS, or DVD, so it was gone ASAP!

Quote:

In general the new HD sat boxes will be able to record 3 sources at once. HD OTA, and two HD signals from the sat.

I was referring to the Cable DVR's, but for the record, the official word on the Dish921 and others is "The ability to record TWO sources and watch a PRE-RECORDED THIRD program". Meaning, if you are recording two things at once, but don't want to watch those programs, you are S.O.L. You are unable to tune anything else on the reciever, except those two simultaneous recordings. If you are recording a SINGLE event, like a baseball game, and WATCHING CSI, then the PVR has to go and record something on HDNet, your CSI will shut off while your PVR changes channels and leave you watching what is being recorded, or give you the option to watch a pre recorded show.
The Broadcom HD chipset in HDDVR's only handles 2 digital datastreams at one time, the same as everyone else.

At least with cable, you still have 80 analog channels to watch on your TV,

vegggas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9223 Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 PM

This is a little off topic....but, why is ESPN-HD so loud? It's a bit annoying to have to turn down the volume when switching to ESPNHD from any other channel. (Cox cable-henderson)

-jb
post #453 of 9223 Old 06-23-2003, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

More slightly off topic...
Finally got the EOD service in my neighborhood. Some of the preview screens and "extras" free movies videos and other services seemed heavily compressed and soft. I ordered a movie "Serving Sara" and it was actually watchable; not nearly as compressed or soft as the previews appeared and appeared as good as channel 200 HBO. The interface is slow, and it takes 20 min to scroll through all the titles from A-Z, but there were a lot of older titles I may watch, like "Rosmary's Baby", etc.
The free stuff is worth it, like the 8-mile videos and stuff and the 24hr anytime viewing of any title, but it's going to have to be a bit faster to get a lot of use.
Just my $0.02 and waiting for HD EOD.

vegggas
post #454 of 9223 Old 06-24-2003, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree about the EOD. There is no way it is going to replace my TiVo anytime soon. To me it just looked like another way to sell PPV. They should just get rid of all the PPV stations and stick the PPV into this. I doubt it will happen though.
post #455 of 9223 Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 AM

EOD....

In some markets, HBO on demand is available for an extra monthly subscription of a few bucks. I would love to see Cox offer this as an added benefit to their EOD offerings.

Dave

Now available in living COLOR
post #456 of 9223 Old 06-25-2003, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought that Sci Atl worked through this issue and was able to present the menu in real time? My SA3000HD still jumps two hours ahead. I tried reseting it, turning the power off, turning it off at night (to allow an update), etc. To no avail. A friend of mine in San Diego has Cox cable and his box gives a menu at "real time."

Anyone know anything?
thx.
post #457 of 9223 Old 06-25-2003, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought that Sci Atl worked through this issue and was able to present the menu in real time? My SA3000HD still jumps two hours ahead.

Press the Red "C" button to go to your current time and channel...

The last I heard, it was a software copyright issue with Gemstar, the originators of the menu system that prevents systems from going to the current channel automatically.

HBO EOD: It has been mentioned and brought up as a feature, but I think they are awaiting the full roll out, before the announcement.

EOD/Tivo: I always watch the PPV movies and events through my Replay anyway. It seems impossible anymore to actually watch anything without the phone / work / knock on door / dog has to go... / wife late to sit down / etc, etc, etc, Totally distracting me from the movie. The resume feature where you get to go back for 24 hours is cool.

vegggas
post #458 of 9223 Old 06-25-2003, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I know how to do it. I was under the impression that they resolved the copyright issue (I still don't understand how having the menu 2 hours ahead evaded a copyright issue on then menu system). Anyway, my friend in San Diego has the exact some box and his menu defaults in real time. So, if they can do it, why can't we???

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
Press the Red "C" button to go to your current time and channel...

The last I heard, it was a software copyright issue with Gemstar, the originators of the menu system that prevents systems from going to the current channel automatically.

vegggas

post #459 of 9223 Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 AM

??? Channel 13 HDTV on Cox-Las Vegas

Anyone else getting intermittent pixilation/picture loss (<1 second) on Channel 13 HDTV lately??? I have noticed it the last two nights. All other HD channels seem OK and my levels are the same as they were at install 3 weeks ago. Seems like it's only on network HD feed, so maybe it is on Ch13's end and not Cox. Called in to Cox and they said everything was OK on their end....

Keith
post #460 of 9223 Old 06-27-2003, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally had a chance to go over some HDTV stuff with the TOP brass at COX. No, not the CSR's, marketing or what not, but, "T-H-E" top of the ol' food chain that makes all the decisions (and knows and likes HDTV), if you know what I mean...
There were lots of HDTV questions - AND answers. Unfortunately, to get the questions answered, there were certain bits of info that I am unable to repeat at this time, due to current negotiations and upcoming announcements.
I do have some good news that I can repeat!

1) NBC status: The fiber link to NBC is active, and it's only waiting on NBC to start sending data. NBCHD has been delayed several times and may be up within a few months.

2)Cable boxes for sale! The boxes in Phoenix are still the older boxes, so there is no reason to go down and try to buy one. Also the CSR's do not have the turn on codes for retail sales - yet. The new boxes seem to have problems with the software and the IPG and should have the bugs worked out within the next 1-2 months. Good news is that they WILL BE AVAILABLE, FOR SALE, HERE IN VEGAS! Retail sales are being setup through Best Buy and Circuit City for SA and possibly Pioneer boxes next quarter. Fot the short term, both leasing and sales of STB's will be allowed in this market.

3) MORE HDTV Channels! Agreements have been made with NBATV carriage, and it's only a short time before HDTV agreements are made for a dedicated free digital package channel (meaning, have digital service, get NBATV free.

Starz HD: Current agreement allows for immediate coverage at launch of Starz HD with NO incremental price. Translated as: if you pay for Starz digital, you get Starz HD included for free (like HBO and SHO).

More channels are in negotiations, but I'm not allowed to divulge that specific info. If you were to compare what HD channel has been available on D* for a long time (with a second ch coming soon)... Basically, there should be no exclusive HD channels on D* that we will not be seeing here on Cox cable - except maybe a few NFL ticket games.

4)HDPVR - Cox LV is VERY interested and VERY well informed with a few different choices available!!! Not allowed to say anything more...

5) Full digital lineup! Talk of remapping Analog to new Digital carriers for digital subscribers . Cox LV is VERY interested and aggressively looking into doing this. Not allowed to comment on current developments.

Also noted was that with current agreements in place, as cable channels go forth with HD, most should be available with their launch. Currently, bandwidth in Vegas is not a problem for rolling out HD.
With the launches and negotiations going on right now, there could be twice as many HD channels available by the end of the year.

vegggas
post #461 of 9223 Old 06-27-2003, 09:12 PM

veggas
briefly, why would we want to upgrade our cable boxes?

-jb
post #462 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb1219
veggas
briefly, why would we want to upgrade our cable boxes?
-jb

Multiformat HD output with downconversion - HD aspect control - HD Resolution select - HD compatible Program Guide - Firewire - DVI - Faster processor with more video memory - Digital optical and coaxial output, even from analog sources- etc.

If you just want info for Scientific Atlanta's replacement for our current 3100HD box,
Go here for new 3270HD box out soon

Or here for the already released 3250HD box

Or here for the 3250HD datasheet in PDF format

If you prefer Pioneer, which is compliant and in use in our system Go here for current Pioneer HD box

Thats a sampling, although not that brief...

vegggas
post #463 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 08:06 AM

Quote:

If you were to compare what HD channel has been available on D* for a long time (with a second ch coming soon)... Basically, there should be no exclusive HD channels on D* that we will not be seeing here on Cox cable - except maybe a few NFL ticket games.

This statement has me very excited! I'm a relative newcomer to the world of HD, but i think i can read between the lines on this one. Fantastic news vegggas, I think we are lucky to have Cox so dedicated to HD here in LV.

For anyone wondering what i'm talking about...see the last post on the previous page of this topic!

-jb
post #464 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 09:47 AM

You guys find any info on if the 3270 box is havi compliant?? I cant seem to find any info..
post #465 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Vegggas! That is some great news. I am particularly interested in the HDPVR. That is probably when I will buy my cable box. The other items, although interesting and nice, probably wouldn't lead me to buy a cable box.

I wonder why NBC is not sending their HD content? How hard can that be if the equipment is in place.....
post #466 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: Channels coming soon that were on D* - It's not concrete, but negotiations have started. Where it goes from there is not guaranateed at this time. It could take months to get an agreement, and even then, there may be a broadcast date set in the future because of previous exclusivity... Personally, I thought this would never happen. Until now, this "channel" owner had given his product away for free to D* and wanted to make up revenue by selling it to others at a premium price, comparable to HBO and SHO. With competition, comes lower prices, and in order to get his product out before everyone is in HD, the price has to be reasonable.

Re: NBC - Last I heard, was that they were waiting on an HD compatible switcher, which allows them to insert local content and advertising into the stream. I think this is over the $100k price range. AFAIK all agreements have been in place and it's just a matter of time until NBC is ready.

Re: HAVI - I'm not having any luck finding products that are HAVI compliant. This is for control of the connected device for Mits, RCA, and Hitachi TV's right? The firewire out on the cable boxes are outputs for recording the data stream to either a PC or Hard drive side car, etc. I can only find the Mits Digital VCR as a HAVI compliant device not built into a TV set. It will take several years to see this as a common interface.

Re: Cable HDPVR - These products are software based and will NOT work without a subscription provided by the cable co. Think Tivo. You can't just buy it, turn it on and record shows. You have to subscribe and get connected, via ethernet or phone, to get the guide and enable the service. Cable PVR's will do the same, except that there is a different, specific software download from each cable system via RF. You will still have to get the box and pay a monthly fee to the cable co to enable the service. For that reason it's unlikely that you will be able to actually purchase a box (or would want to at this time). once disconnected from it's cable source, it becomes a doorstop, much like a DirecTtivo without a D* subscription. You can't move it from one platform or provider to another. The good news is that most models I've seen have sidecar compatibility. Purchase a firewire drive of your choice and plug it in to manage and archive any content you want without having to modify the box or voiding the warranty.

vegggas
post #467 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 03:40 PM

That sucks about havi. Yea, I'm looking for something to hook my Mits integrated up to. Its a really great idea, controlling everything seamlessly w/ 1 remote. People would demand it if they knew about it. I'm going to have to rent a box til something with havi shows up.

And you can use tivo as a recorder w/o subscribing. But it acts more like a VCR, that is, you have to tell it when to start and stop recording. It sucks, but thats what they use as leverage. No guide data, no season pass, no remembering which shows to record, just a HD based VCR. Otherwise if Tivo went under, you'd have a $300 paperweight..
post #468 of 9223 Old 06-28-2003, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that a new Tivo? I thought most of the new units would not do anything without activation and subscription. I have a new Replay that will only work if there is a subscription. The other Replay is a digital VCR that doesn't need a sub to work and doesn't charge a fee, but it is a few years old. Also DirecTivo's used to only work with a sub to D* - Has that changed?

HAVi does have it's limitations among other brands of controllers. If your Mits TV is the Controller or BAV unit, it has to be able to control other manufacturers IAV equipment, but only do basic functions. Specialized functions are still a problem from one device to another. That's what I got out of HAvi website and discussions on the net at least.

vegggas
post #469 of 9223 Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 PM

Has anyone heard if there is a possibility of these channels getting added to Cox's line-up?

1) MTV2
2) VH-1 Classic
3) Trio
4) Noggin

These have been available on D* for a long time and seem like obvious choices to be on Cox's line-up. Any idea if these are in the works?

Now available in living COLOR
post #470 of 9223 Old 06-29-2003, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

No idea... The best thing to do is call up and make a formal request for the stations you would like added. They have to write it down, go through all the channels and submit them to the corporate offices. Then try again a few weeks later, it makes them go through the entire process again.
vegggas
post #471 of 9223 Old 06-29-2003, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Channel choice is a very weird deal. I am not exactly sure how much a few phone calls will matter. Granted a lot of phone calls will make a difference, but I think a lot depends on how much revenue the additional channel will bring to Cox. For example, for the last 4 years they had Channel 4 Padres on Cox, but now they have local access and home shopping. I have called on this quite a bit, to no avail.

However, this is the first year they have OLN during the Tour de France. I called on that last year, but how knows if it did any good.
post #472 of 9223 Old 06-30-2003, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Effective September 1, 2003, pay-per-view channels 74 and 75 will no longer be available. Special events and movies previously offered for purchase on these channels are available on digital pay-per-view channels 501 and 502. Pay-per-view channel 533 (Hot Choice) will move to pay-per-view channel 531.

This opens the door to removing more analog and getting more digital or HD channels!
One step closer to more HD!!!

vegggas
post #473 of 9223 Old 07-03-2003, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that fox is going HD, I wonder if they will be broadcasting their NFL games in HD (not their widescreen format). If so, once Cox gets Fox HD, that would be a nice option.
post #474 of 9223 Old 07-03-2003, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that all depends apon the Fox affilite here. I know last time I emailed them they had no intention on getting the equipment to broadcast 480p so I kind of doubt they will get the equipment to do 720p. I guess I could email them and ask again.
post #475 of 9223 Old 07-04-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to get a sampling of local viewers that have both Sat and Cable HD feeds. Here is the info I would like:
1) Which feeds can you watch on both systems to do an A/B comparison? (i.e. HBO, DiscHD ESPN etc.)
2) What format TV do you have (4x3 vs 16x9 vs FP) and is it 720P capable?
3) Do you have the $9 basic service with HD locals or digital package with ESPN, Disc, HBO etc.

For those that answer, you can either respond in the thread or PM me. If there is some interest in gathering more comparison data for this thread, I have an idea that I would like to share, but it has to be via PM or email only.

vegggas
post #476 of 9223 Old 07-04-2003, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
I would like to get a sampling of local viewers that have both Sat and Cable HD feeds. Here is the info I would like:
1) Which feeds can you watch on both systems to do an A/B comparison? (i.e. HBO, DiscHD ESPN etc.)
2) What format TV do you have (4x3 vs 16x9 vs FP) and is it 720P capable?
3) Do you have the $9 basic service with HD locals or digital package with ESPN, Disc, HBO etc.

For those that answer, you can either respond in the thread or PM me. If there is some interest in gathering more comparison data for this thread, I have an idea that I would like to share, but it has to be via PM or email only.

vegggas

1) I don't have any anymore.
2) I have a Sony Vega 4X3 HDTV.
3) Yes I have the $9 plan. Except it's over $20 with the box rental thrown in. I don't even have the gateway.

So what's your idea?
post #477 of 9223 Old 07-07-2003, 07:49 AM

I have always had a problem with Ch13/DT. All the others are usually fine but I constantly have video or audio breakup HD or not. Signal is usually in the 90's. Using OTA antenna.
post #478 of 9223 Old 07-07-2003, 09:05 AM

I had the same problem last night while watching ALIAS. Channel 13 does that to me from time to tome. Good signal, yet it still breaks up. Built in tuner with ota. Eastern / I215 area.
post #479 of 9223 Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

During Alias it broke up on cable too so it's probibly a channel 13 problem.
post #480 of 9223 Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 AM

My tuners built into TV. OTA Viewing for 13.1 varries also without touching
my R.S. bow antenna.
I've been unable to pull in KVBC 3.1/2.1, I think their still low power.
Fox 5 is my strongest OTA DT signal.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page