post #6001 of 9241 Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

Every so often throughout the day (watching football and the WS)

I thought you hated football?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 9241 Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

I thought you hated football?

I hate PROFESSIONAL football.
I can tolerate College Football. No bloated egos, love the bands and half time shows.
And on Saturdays, you get the Colleges.
post #6003 of 9241 Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Hey everyone.

I just moved out here from NYC and am trying to figure out what to do for HDTV. I've had a look at the websites of Cox and DirecTV and have also had a glance at the channel offerings. It looks to me like DirecTV is the way to go for the most quality HD channels in the area. I want the basics, but am also keen on HDnet and HDnet Movies. I have no experience with either of these companies, nor with satellite (I had Time Warner Cable before).

If I want to get into DirecTV, are there any big things I should be aware of that may not seem obvious. I have a patio that I can set a tripod on that faces south. Is the D* hd/dvr box worth it's price. I know from experience that I prefer the two tuners. Also, do you have to run a cable from the dish to the box or do they have wireless? Any advice is much appreciated?

One more question is who is a good internet provider? Just from my own experience, cable would be my first choice, but I'm not familiar with Cox.

Thanks,
Casey
post #6004 of 9241 Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyflavor View Post

Hey everyone.

I just moved out here from NYC and am trying to figure out what to do for HDTV. I've had a look at the websites of Cox and DirecTV and have also had a glance at the channel offerings. It looks to me like DirecTV is the way to go for the most quality HD channels in the area. I want the basics, but am also keen on HDnet and HDnet Movies. I have no experience with either of these companies, nor with satellite (I had Time Warner Cable before).

If I want to get into DirecTV, are there any big things I should be aware of that may not seem obvious. I have a patio that I can set a tripod on that faces south. Is the D* hd/dvr box worth it's price. I know from experience that I prefer the two tuners. Also, do you have to run a cable from the dish to the box or do they have wireless? Any advice is much appreciated?

One more question is who is a good internet provider? Just from my own experience, cable would be my first choice, but I'm not familiar with Cox.

Thanks,
Casey

Hi Casey.
I lived in Henderson for about seven years before moving here to Pahrump about a year and a half ago. I have had D* for about ten years now and find that it provides me with what I find to be a great HD picture. Some on this board will call D* HD-lite, but I've talked to some on this board who say the HD quality is as good as OTA.
First of all, for everything you ever wanted to know about D* HD, try

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Now as to your situation:
Wireless is not possible. For the HR20/21 dvrs, you need to have two cables run from the dish to the receiver. For the non-dvd H20/21 receiver, you only need one cable since it only has a single tuner. As far as using a tripod, I don't think that would be dependable enough to provide a stable platform, and believe me, when trying to snare five satellites, the aiming of the dish is critical. Unless you can mount the dish on the side of your apt building an aleternative would be, if you can, to secure a pole in the ground. That would be your best option for a stable dish mount. Some people have stated that they have used a pole mounted in a cement filled container, but the installer may have a problem with that as the 5 lnb dish is much bigger and heavier than the old three lnb dish.

As far as internet service, I would go with Cox. That is what I had in Henderson, but out here, all I can get is WildBlue--a sat based service, and boy do I miss the speed of cable.

I can't offer an opinion or comparison to Cox for tv service, but if you go through this forum, you will find everything from fanboys to Cox haters. You will have to make your own decision on that. But in the event that you can't get a good solution for mounting a dish, Cox may be your only choice.

And welcome to Nevada,
Rick

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6005 of 9241 Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsblaski View Post

I lived in Henderson for about seven years before moving here to Pahrump about a year and a half ago.
[O]ut here, all I can get is WildBlue--a sat based service, and boy do I miss the speed of cable.

That's what the WildBlue dealers want you to think. I cringe every time a see a WildBlue dish installed at the house of someone that's clearly in the CMA cable or AT&T DSL service area.

Even if you can't get DSL or cable, there's AT&T WiFi or fixed wireless providers like Keyon or Air-Internet.
post #6006 of 9241 Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM

I read a while back that KVBC was replacing equipment that was causing that constant audio studder on their HD signal. I was watching tonight ( via D*) and it seems the problem is still there in abundance. As before, I still cannot watch that channel in HD. If they cannot get their gear working after all this time I think they should grant everyone waivers for network feeds. (dream on)
post #6007 of 9241 Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

That's what the WildBlue dealers want you to think. I cringe every time a see a WildBlue dish installed at the house of someone that's clearly in the CMA cable or AT&T DSL service area.

Even if you can't get DSL or cable, there's AT&T WiFi or fixed wireless providers like Keyon or Air-Internet.

When we were building our house, we checked with Air-Internet. They refused to even come out to look at our location. They said they had too many problems in Artesia and weren't doing any more installs in the area. I told them that the house next door had their service and we had a better line of sight than they did, and even offered to pay for an installation even if it didn't work. No luck. (What's funny is that they had to come out and raise our neighbor's antenna when our roof went up!)
At that time, we didn't know about Keyon and we have no cable out here. ATT&T dsl is still not available at our address.
We have about eight months to go on our two year commitment with WildBlue and have already made inquiries with Keyon and will probably go with them when our contract is over. Maybe there will be other options at that time as well.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6008 of 9241 Old 11-04-2007, 06:02 PM

The audio dropout problem on NBC-HD is still there. But it's worse, because now it's accompanied by "streaking" on the left side of the picture whenever an audio dropout occurs.
I can't believe that such poor quality control is going on at KNBC. But just as their on-air news, weather and local interest, personalities have no talent, so too apparently do their engineers
post #6009 of 9241 Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:

The audio dropout problem on NBC-HD is still there. But it's worse, because now it's accompanied by "streaking" on the left side of the picture whenever an audio dropout occurs.
I can't believe that such poor quality control is going on at KNBC. But just as their on-air news, weather and local interest, personalities have no talent, so too apparently do their engineers

Is there a reason why I'm not experiencing any of these problems? I've heard several different complaints about this but I haven't had the displeasure of bad audio that others have.

On another note from KLAS' HD 11pm sports show, I found it hard to believe while they ran footage from today's Colts/Patriots game that it was presented in 4:3 SD...and very degraded SD at that. I could even see diagonal interference lines running their way up and down the picture. Same went for the subsequent game rundown of the Chargers/Vikings game. What gives? Ironically, both games were broadcast on KLAS...hmmmmm.
post #6010 of 9241 Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Isn't it time for more Cox "scoop" info from Vegggas?
post #6011 of 9241 Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoustGod View Post

Is there a reason why I'm not experiencing any of these problems? I've heard several different complaints about this but I haven't had the displeasure of bad audio that others have.

On another note from KLAS' HD 11pm sports show, I found it hard to believe while they ran footage from today's Colts/Patriots game that it was presented in 4:3 SD...and very degraded SD at that. I could even see diagonal interference lines running their way up and down the picture. Same went for the subsequent game rundown of the Chargers/Vikings game. What gives? Ironically, both games were broadcast on KLAS...hmmmmm.

Some equipment is more sensitive to this type stuff then others.
post #6012 of 9241 Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I emailed KVBC engineering and this was their response:

Thanks for the email,

It appears to be our Nielsen encoder which inserts ratings data. It will be bypassed this morning after 10am.

Mark

I haven't watched since this early this morning so I'm not sure if it's stopped or not.
post #6013 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

I emailed KVBC engineering and this was their response:

Thanks for the email,

It appears to be our Nielsen encoder which inserts ratings data. It will be bypassed this morning after 10am.

Mark

I haven't watched since this early this morning so I'm not sure if it's stopped or not.

I watched their complete primetime lineup this evening, just to see if the problem WAS indeed fixed. IT WAS. Audio and video proceeded without intrerruption or interference. What bothers me, is that they apparently would have done nothing unless viewers like us complained about it. Meanwhile the problem continued all day yesterday, and right through the Sunday Night Football telecast. Aren't any of the engineers at KVBC on duty on weekends? And if they knew what the problem was, why did they wait until 10AM to fix it?
post #6014 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

Isn't it time for more Cox "scoop" info from Vegggas?

vegggas's information has been spot on since i've been following this thread, but i wouldn't blame him if he abandoned us. there is one poster that appeared to enjoy insulting vegggas every chance he had. now you have to find out when it happens instead of preparing for an event before it happens.
i would like knowing cox's future plans as much as you do, but thanks to our local cox cynic, vegggas hasn't been back for a while.
post #6015 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo5 View Post

vegggas's information has been spot on since i've been following this thread, but i wouldn't blame him if he abandoned us. there is one poster that appeared to enjoy insulting vegggas every chance he had. now you have to find out when it happens instead of preparing for an event before it happens.
i would like knowing cox's future plans as much as you do, but thanks to our local cox cynic, vegggas hasn't been back for a while.

Or maybe nothing new is coming. They did just recently add new channels. I bet that's it until next year.
post #6016 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been working out of town for a while and just got back last week. Not having broadband access has limited my ability to read and post on AVS while I was away, and I've yet to talk to my social network to find out the scoop on upcoming events.
Looking at the system, I've noted that the CW HD is still in testing (several months now) and some of the recorded shows I have are randomly not in HD and some have had audio problems, etc. My guess they are waiting for the channel to be more stable before launching to the public. There are the other HD nets not able to be mentioned due to non-carriage deals still on the system. I can see NHL has been added and NBAHD was showing on MOJO last night. Add that to the news that InDemand networks will be showing the HD games for all the sports packages soon and you will be able to see all your HD sports based on whatever sports package or tier you get.
There are a variety of national HD channels coming soon and are being launched in various markets for testing. They are on track to launch up to 50 HD channels before the end of the year across all their systems as the infrastructure is getting finailzed. I see in my neighborhood, they have completed the upgrades to expand the bandwidth from 750 to 860Mhz and the rest of the valley will come online and be tweaked as the weeks progress.
HD Video On Demand has been launched and is working for HD movies with the library filling up in coming weeks. A ton of SD VOD has been added, including the fear.net channel movies and other Halloween type monster movies (during Halloween week) along with libraries from RHI, TBS,TCM and TNT.
This is, of course, all speculation based on what I see on my system. It won't be until the weekend before I get the chance to network with the people in the know.

vegggas
post #6017 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Thanks Vegggas, look forward to your continued updates.
post #6018 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo5 View Post

there is one poster that appeared to enjoy insulting vegggas every chance he had. but thanks to our local cox cynic, vegggas hasn't been back for a while.

If you're referring to me as the "local cox cynic", I gladly accept that name. Vegggas has been invaluable,in posting information about Cox' future plans. However;
1. His reported dates of "start ups" are very rarely accurate (although obviously well intended)
2. He NEVER finds fault with anything that Cox does. And when I and other forumites complain about Cox' service Vegggas always leaps to their defense, saying the equivalent of "Not their job,man".
That is a viewpoint I strongly disagree with. We pay COX, we do NOT pay each of the individual program providers. And that being the case, I believe that Cox must act as our ADVOCATE in all matters relating to programming and the difficulties we may encounter in receiving those programs. But they ARE NOT our advocates and frequently wash their hands of any problems and do NOT even alert the program providers that SOMETHING MAY just be wrong. One would think that Cox Communications has a helluva lot more clout with program providers than does any individual viewer. But NO, they simply "pass through" the signal to us, without regard for whether or not that signal is deficient in any way. And Vegggas is ALWAYS testifying for the defense of Cox. WHY?
post #6019 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Because, Word, your still wrong.
1. My dates are very close if not exactly quoted from public sources in the paper or trade magazines. There are exceptions however when there are unscheduled delays or a specific post someone printed from a year or so ago, where I was told at the end of the year, but the original message was intended for the end of the next year (2007). Hence the reasons nobody announces things anymore. It's far easier to make a big puffy nothing announcement of sometime in the future rather than get mauled over a specific timeline.
2. Yes, I do find fault with Cox on some things, but instead of incessantly whining about it on a public forum, I do something about it. I hand write (not a forum letter) to the public affairs address found on my bill and have had every problem resolved in a timely manner, OR I figured out where the source of the problem existed and went there to get my answers. I pay Cox to DELIVER MY CONTENT, both for broadband and video, and now very recently for phone service as well. If the services don't get to me, then I will complain to Cox. If I find an internet site that doesn't like Firefox as my browser instead of IE, I have no right or reason to complain to Cox for letting me get to that website.
Overall topic. Cox collects the signals as a MATV system (Master Antenna Tele-Vision System) and distributes them as a provided service. This service is provided so that you don't have to use an antenna, and as a bonus, they can pull in distant and exclusive stations. They are not a producer of content, but a distributer of content. It is a sad day once the distributers alter, change, filter or bychance engage in politically modifying the signal from the original source.
As with KVBC's long problem with their Dolby Digital dropout issue, just now being fixed, what else would you have suggested Cox do about it? They notified the station, the station was aware of the issue and it took them (KVBC) SEVERAL MONTHS to figure it out. Cox is not allowed to brandish sticks upon their heads to either hinder or encourage them to fix anything. It's people like Word that make cox and other providers reluctant to offer any "non-perfect" services, and even then they would complain about the content not always being in HD like A&EHD or TBS-HD. People screaming to get it and once they do, they complain that there's not enough HD, or the audio is not what they want, or they crop or stretch the picture. I guess it would be better if we asked Cox to remove the channel from the lineup until it is perfect, according to everyone's standards, and not let anyone watch the programming.
Now, as it appears with the CWHD, they have been having audio and sometimes HD problems for a long time. So, in Word's best involvement mode, Cox will not launch that channel until the CW fix their crap and have a period of time with MINIMAL FAUILURES. In the meantime, Word can complain to KVCW until they fix their crap and Cox can launch their service publicly, even with a few problems in their unmanned facility. In the meantime, I will enjoy their test HD feed of Reaper and Aliens in America, Smallville, etc. even with the sound dropouts, screeches and episodes sometimes shown in SD instead of HD. If I encounter a problem, I may go to the source and log a complaint, or just sit back and enjoy the programming that I can get.
nuff said - frosty beverage is empty
vegggas
post #6020 of 9241 Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Vegggas,
I don't want to prolong this conversation. And I won't. But I WILL say that you have confirmed every single criticism I offered. You may not feel or read it that way. But I DO.
post #6021 of 9241 Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

I am a Center Ice subscriber and last night I was looking forward to watching the Buffalo-Florida game. However, the page that listed which game was on which channel, indicated that the game was on NHL Net rather than Center Ice. I could not find this channel in the Cox lineup.

Does anyone know whether we will be getting this channel? I'm sure I can get a more accurate answer from the knowledgable people on this board as opposed to calling Cox.

Thanks,

Hask

Did you eventually find NHLNetwork on channel 316?

vegggas
post #6022 of 9241 Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Seems to be fixed. I watched "Chuck" on NBC this Monday and all looked fine to me.
post #6023 of 9241 Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Bravo, Vegggas, Bravo.

I, like vegggas, am privy to a lot of firsthand information regarding Cox here in LV. But, due to the tone of posts by one individual in this thread for the last 3 years, I stay away from posting entirely.

Try something interesting everyone: click on "Word Maestro" and select "Find more posts from..." him. Going back to the first posts he wrote in this thread and browsing forward, the negative tone and whining is intolerable. From topics like Cox, Sports packages, local broadcast issues, local news anchors, more Sports packages, and any other random item, I feel that any value he has added to this thread has been diminished many times over by all the negativity, and driven others away from wanting to participate as well, like me.

Word, I do have to admit that you have inspired one thing in me. Since you are so vocal about everything that bothers you, I am being vocal about one thing that bothers me: your incessant whining.

Television is a great thing. It gives an escape from our routine lives in 30 minute segments, 3 hour games, or 2 hour movies. But, I think that you, Word, need to step away from the TV and computer and ponder why you have so much anger and hostility for something that should be such a small portion of your existence.
post #6024 of 9241 Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM

I most certainly don't want to get in the middle of a war of attitudes here. But I do want to say how appreciative 99.9% of us are to get the little tidbits of information (both programming and technical) and the predictions regarding Cox. Thanks Vegggas!! And it's too bad that because of the negativity, trevor feels like it's not worth the hassle to post here anymore.

On a side note, but related...I've had the pleasure of meeting and working with Randy Black. You probably know him from the TV and radio commercials for the casinos in Mesquite. Here is a man that exudes a super positive attitude. No matter the day, he will always tell you that "today is the best day of his life". You can't help but be in a good mood around him. I believe that his positive energy is one of the reasons why he is so successful.

My point? Attitude is everything. Maybe a lesson can be learned by the paragraph above.

Off the soapbox and on to the fact that in the next two months, we should expect to see many more HD channels from Cox. Now that is something to cheer about!! A question though...Is there a chance that the HD On Demand service would include any of the premium content from HBO, Showtime, etc.?

Now available in living COLOR
post #6025 of 9241 Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_2k View Post

But, I think that you, Word, need to step away from the TV and computer and ponder why you have so much anger and hostility for something that should be such a small portion of your existence.

Sorry if my attitudes annoy you. But (in my professional life) , I was BOTH a Chemistry teacher and a Registered Pharmacist. And in those two professions there is NO room for error. When I purchase a product or a service, I expect that purchase to fulfill my expectations. And those expectations are to be as precise, and if I may say, (as perfect) as is possible. That holds true for everything, and every service that I purchase from the biggest to the smallest of expenditures. The things that I have complained about on this forum are things that EVERBODY is probably dissatisfied with. The only difference between they and I, is that I give voice to my complaints through this forum (you call it whining) and am not reluctant to place blame or responsibility when and where I think it should be placed.
I make no attempt to be politically correct, and consequently, if that bothers some posters, so be it. Despite my criticisms of him, Vegggas seems to be hale, hearty and continuing to post.
And I am going to continue to be critical (and whine) when things don't satisfy me. And if you're reluctant to post "tidbits of information" because of my presence, I must be much more powerful a person than I ever thought I was. Think, if you will of how you are depriving the hungry users of Cox and the cable citizens of Las Vegas of your "inside information". How much better off they would be if they had some of those pearls of wisdom. Even if they DID NOT turn out to be accurate and timely. I suggest that anybody annoyed by my posts, scroll past them, without bothering to read them, thus sparing the reader any "upset" or uncomfortable feelings. And even if they read them, no-one need respond to them if they would prefer not to.
I am forced to continue to reside in this city because of my medical conditions. And not being loaded with money, I cannot relocate to another warm climate. But I would, if I could.
But things such as NOT keeping the programmers and the cable providers "feet to the fire" has resulted in Las Vegas being in reality a second rate city, with second rate citizenry. IMO, the citizenry should DEMAND that everything be as close to perfect as possible, ALL THE TIME. And when it's not, they SHOULD "whine" loud and long about it, until things are set right.
post #6026 of 9241 Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Word I guess what everyone is saying is that all you do is complain. Try to be positive and add something for once.
post #6027 of 9241 Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM

We all best be careful, or our little "city" post will be shut down just like the HD-DVD/Blue-Ray Forum.

I come here for the inside information, the sharing of knowledge and the opinions expressed by the community. I agree with both Demondave and Word, but the worst thing that can happen to this community forum would be for us all to get caught up in each other's opinions of our various view-points and loose track of the true reasons we come here.

Please continue to share knowledge and opinions. Be vocal for what you feel would benefit the community the most, and remember that this should be a forum for enjoyment, not one where our common bond (television) should be pushed to the background in favor of chest-puffing and ego-tripping.

If we all wanted that, we could turn on the news or a presidential debate, this is just about TV people. There are so many other, better causes out there to fight this hard over.
post #6028 of 9241 Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM

We all best be careful, or our little "city" post will be shut down just like the HD-DVD/Blue-Ray Forum.

I come here for the inside information, the sharing of knowledge and the opinions expressed by the community. I agree with both Demondave and Word, but the worst thing that can happen to this community forum would be for us all to get caught up in each other's opinions of our various view-points and loose track of the true reasons we come here.

Please continue to share knowledge and opinions. Be vocal for what you feel would benefit the community the most, and remember that this should be a forum for enjoyment, not one where our common bond (television) should be pushed to the background in favor of chest-puffing and ego-tripping.

If we all wanted that, we could turn on the news or a presidential debate, this is just about TV people. There are so many other, better causes out there to fight this hard over.
post #6029 of 9241 Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Did you eventually find NHLNetwork on channel 316?

vegggas

Not until just now, thanks. Now we need to get some hockey in HD.

Hask
post #6030 of 9241 Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_2k View Post

Bravo, Vegggas, Bravo.

I, like vegggas, am privy to a lot of firsthand information regarding Cox here in LV. But, due to the tone of posts by one individual in this thread for the last 3 years, I stay away from posting entirely.

Shame on you. I cant believe you would let one poster's attitude bring you down so much. I guess the old adage of "if you cant stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen" certainly applies in your case. I too find WM annoying at times, but have found it best to just ignore his rants.(like Cox does )
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page