Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vegggas is the primary reason I remain subscribed to this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

More than anything, in my spare time, like demodave had mentioned, I try to be positive and upbeat and surround myself with such things. I will jump on this thread once a week or so and get caught up. As I was catching up last night I finally had had enough of WM, and decided to voice my opinion on it.

WM: "But Lo and Behold at EXACTLY 12:13AM this morning (Sunday) the Cable Box "caught up with" the Atomic Clock. Can anybody explain this? Or is it just another example of the exemplary dependable service provided by the good folks at Cox? (cough-cough)."

What does that have to do with HDTV here in Las Vegas? The clock was off 1 minute. Was it worth your time and effort to complain about? You seriously need to reevaluate your priorities a bit.

As for sharing info, I will try to do my best. If you miss vegggas for a bit, check the Cox national HD thread here.

Since you have so much time to watch tv WM, you should be familiar with the SNL character Debbie Downer.
post #6033 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Not until just now, thanks. Now we need to get some hockey in HD.

Hask

Hello Hask. I knew there was one other hockey fan in this town. I've been a cox sub since I moved to the valley over 10 years ago. I've been very happy with their service but the Direct HD content has finally lured me away. WOW, what a pleasant surprise!!! With the addition of so many Fox Sports HD channels, I've watch more HD hockey already this year than all of last year. Needless to say I'm quite pleased. And then yesterday I received this email:

Dear NHL® CENTER ICE® Subscriber,

We have some exciting news for our loyal NHL CENTER ICE subscribers. This season, you may have noticed some added enhancements we've been rolling out as part of your NHL CENTER ICE subscription. These added features include more games in High Definition (HD), dual feeds (home and away) when possible, and the NHL Network in both Standard Definition (SD) and HD. Here are the details ...

More games in HD*
We expect to deliver up to 12 games per week in HD by mid-November for customers with the 5-LNB Dish and a newer HD Receiver (H20, H21, HR20, HR21). As we continue to launch Regional Sports Networks in HD over the next six weeks, the number of HD games will rise steadily. Customers who haven't yet upgraded to the newer HD equipment can still view select games on Channels 94 and 95 when available. For more information on HD equipment, visit directv.com/hdcheck.

HD games in the NHL channel range (764 - 776) are represented by a "-1". For example, Channel 765 Ducks vs. Bruins would be in SD, but 765-1 Ducks vs. Bruins would be in HD (if available).

Dual Feeds
This season, we are broadcasting more dual feeds when we have them available to us. When possible, we are placing both the home and away game broadcasts in NHL CENTER ICE for you to choose from. For example, you may see the Ducks vs. Bruins on Channel 765 and Channel 766. The game on Channel 765 would be the Ducks broadcast, and Channel 766 would be for the Bruins broadcast. When possible, we will present both options to NHL CENTER ICE subscribers.

NHL Network
As of October 31, we are offering the NHL Network in both HD and SD on Channel 215. The NHL Network is available to all NHL CENTER ICE subscribers for no extra charge.

NHL Network is the first network dedicated to the NHL, giving viewers an unprecedented 24-hour all-access pass to the most comprehensive hockey coverage, both on and off the ice. You get live games, daily highlight shows, up-to-the-minute hockey news, and exclusive hockey programming and special events.

Only eligible customers with H20, H21, HR20 or HR21 Receivers, 5-LNB dish and HD Access ($9.99/mo.) can view NHL Network in HD.

Thank you for your loyalty to DIRECTV and NHL CENTER ICE. We hope these new features add to your enjoyment of another exciting season of NHL CENTER ICE on DIRECTV.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV

The dual feeds will be AWESOME! For some reason the majority of the Flyers games are feed with the others teams announcers (Perhaps a comcast thing, I don't know). I'll bet less than 10 of the 82 games last year were Flyer announcers. I'm looking forward to that feature for sure!!!

If you are an avid hockey fan, you might want to consider it.
post #6034 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Not until just now, thanks. Now we need to get some hockey in HD.

Hask

Make sure to request HDNet and Versus HD from Cox then.
post #6035 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflying View Post

Hello Hask. I knew there was one other hockey fan in this town.

Make that one more....but I have Cox.
post #6036 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_2k View Post

WM: "But Lo and Behold at EXACTLY 12:13AM this morning (Sunday) the Cable Box "caught up with" the Atomic Clock. Can anybody explain this? Or is it just another example of the exemplary dependable service provided by the good folks at Cox? (cough-cough)."

What does that have to do with HDTV here in Las Vegas? The clock was off 1 minute. Was it worth your time and effort to complain about? You seriously need to reevaluate your priorities a bit.

Apparently we believe in widely differing standards. YOU have NO business telling me to re-evaluate MY priorities, just as I would have no business telling YOU to re-evaluate yours. Precision and excellence are important to me, in every phase of my life. And that extends not only to my own behavior and accomplishments, but to those of my family, friends and anybody with whom I may do business.
That clock being "off by one minute" had to have a REASON for being "off". It wasn't "off" for the last five years and it hasn't been "off" since last week., The fact that it was so UNUSUAL is the fact that led me to comment on it. I don't know whether the Atomic Clock setters in Colorado were at fault or if Cox Cable was at fault. But SOMEBODY was. And apparently they KNEW it. That's why it was corrected, and never should have occured in the first place. Certainly, you are correct that in the course of ones life the fact that the two clocks did not coincide
is relatively meaningless. But if they CAN BE MADE TO COINCIDE, why NOT complain about it? Is it better to be wrong, and docilely quiet, instead of right, and vocal about it?
You and others probably won't believe this, but I too try to be positive and upbeat. But I can't be, where Cox Communications is concerned. They've given me NOTHING to be upbeat and positive about!!.
post #6037 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

You and others probably won't believe this, but I too try to be positive and upbeat. But I can't be, where Cox Communications is concerned. They've given me NOTHING to be upbeat and positive about!!.

If you are that unhappy with Cox perhaps you should consider another provider. Is satellite an option where you live? On the upside, Direct has no clock on the front of their box.
post #6038 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflying View Post

If you are that unhappy with Cox perhaps you should consider another provider. Is satellite an option where you live? On the upside, Direct has no clock on the front of their box.

The change to Direct TV is already in progress. And I'm quite confident that in the ensuing months there will be many customers making the same changes (where possible). D* is PROGRESSIVE, while Cox is either regressive or at best, at a standstill.
And being the "baseball lover" that I am the ABSENCE of HD baseball telecasts on Cox (other than on ESPN, Fox and recently TBS, which did NOT work correctly during the playoffs) is both unexplainable and unforgiveable. This is 2007,not 1987. And when I call "Customer Service" at Cox, I expect to receive SERVICE, not B.S, buckpassing and instructions to re-boot my receiver for ANY conceivable problem.
post #6039 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM

More NHL on D (Or should I say HD)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=106788
post #6040 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As much as we don't like what others might say, I think if youre not man enough to live in a real world with differing opinions, rants and praises, get out of internet forums.

Quit trying to make these forums for people who only agree with each other.
Heck, both Word and Vegggggas can be annoying to me, as I am to them, but let us speak our minds.

Thank You.
post #6041 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I completely agree. I don't want everyone to hold hands and sing songs about cox or any other provider. But, when one's opinion is so badly skewed to one side that you can't say something without a negative remark, then every now and then you need to reach out and give them a proverbial knock on the head.

That was my intent. I don't have the time to carry this on any longer and will only post when I have something that will benefit the group. I would hope that WM would do the same - post only when he has something to benefit the group.

I'm done.
post #6042 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone checked the Cox HD guide lately?
Channnel place holders reportedly added for 712, 729, 734.
On those channels it lists the upcoming NFL HD Game schedules.
I think you have to subscribe to the sports tier and the SD NFLnetwork to actually see them though.
NHL is assumed as next and already listed in the 800's under test accounts.

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6043 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Anyone checked the Cox HD guide lately?
Channnel place holders reportedly added for 712, 729, 734.
On those channels it lists the upcoming NFL HD Game schedules.
I think you have to subscribe to the sports tier and the SD NFLnetwork to actually see them though.
NHL is assumed as next and already listed in the 800's under test accounts.

vegggas

Haven't those "channels" been there for a few weeks now? On my system, they tell you to tune into 699 for HD on Demand. I don't see anything about NFL HD game schedules and I sub to everything you mention.
post #6044 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_2k View Post

That was my intent. I don't have the time to carry this on any longer and will only post when I have something that will benefit the group. I would hope that WM would do the same - post only when he has something to benefit the group.

That's EXACTLY where we differ. My posts being critical of Cox in any respect in which I feel their service is either deficient or totally absent, IS designed to point out those deficiencies for everyone to see. And in that sense it IS designed to be beneficial to the ENTIRE forum. Some members of this forum may be more passive than others. I don't accept mediocrity, inefficiencies or mistakes when they can be avoided by proper planning and by having proper equipment in place. And I am very vocal about it. You can do, or not do, anything you wish. But I am NOT going to change to please YOU.

I'm done.
post #6045 of 9259 Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

Haven't those "channels" been there for a few weeks now? On my system, they tell you to tune into 699 for HD on Demand. I don't see anything about NFL HD game schedules and I sub to everything you mention.

Theses are new channel paceholder adverts for NFLHD Network games. They list the complete HD schedule for this season, which is same as last year, 8 HD games to be shown on channel 729.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #6046 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My posts being critical of Cox in any respect in which I feel their service is either deficient or totally absent, IS designed to point out those deficiencies for everyone to see. And in that sense it IS designed to be beneficial to the ENTIRE forum. Some members of this forum may be more passive than others. I don't accept mediocrity, inefficiencies or mistakes when they can be avoided by proper planning and by having proper equipment in place. And I am very vocal about it. You can do, or not do, anything you wish. But I am NOT going to change to please YOU.

I'm done.

Since you [word] were a pharmacist...
So then you should be critical of the local neighborhood pharmacists (possibly like you) who sold vioxx to patients because they distributed potentially lethal drugs. To you it doesn't matter that the drug company made the mistake, becasue the patient PAID THE PHARMACIST, so the pharmacist should get all the blame. Nevermind the drug company who originated the drug. Cox is only a distributor of a premade product originated by someone else, same as a pharmacist who sells premade pills.

To keep this about something HD, I've noticed a few more channels being moved around. Some added , and ohers deleted . I lost two of the test HD channels and don't see them anywhere on the system, this usually happens right before an HD addition. I'll add more tomorrow night or Saturday Morning when I get together with the guys and find out the details.
vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #6047 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Since you [word] were a pharmacist...
So then you should be critical of the local neighborhood pharmacists (possibly like you) who sold vioxx to patients because they distributed potentially lethal drugs. To you it doesn't matter that the drug company made the mistake, becasue the patient PAID THE PHARMACIST, so the pharmacist should get all the blame. Nevermind the drug company who originated the drug. Cox is only a distributor of a premade product originated by someone else, same as a pharmacist who sells premade pills.

If a pharmacist had the technical equipment and the expertise to assay (for molecular structure) and for the actions of each drug on the human body, and he did NOT do so, then YES I would blame the pharmacist for dispensing harmful medications. But he doesn't have that capability. The drug manufacturers do, and they bear the ultimate responsibility.
However Cox Communications DOES have the capability ( but not the motivation) to monitor each and every signal it relays from programmers to its customers. And to see and diagnose deficiencies in that signal (either audio or video). Sure it would be a "big" job. But that's why we pay the Cox CABLE MONOPOLY the "big bucks". And they aren't doing it.
post #6048 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If a pharmacist had the technical equipment and the expertise to assay (for molecular structure) and for the actions of each drug on the human body, and he did NOT do so, then YES I would blame the pharmacist for dispensing harmful medications. But he doesn't have that capability. The drug manufacturers do, and they bear the ultimate responsibility.
However Cox Communications DOES have the capability ( but not the motivation) to monitor each and every signal it relays from programmers to its customers. And to see and diagnose deficiencies in that signal (either audio or video). Sure it would be a "big" job. But that's why we pay the Cox CABLE MONOPOLY the "big bucks". And they aren't doing it.

Cox is just like your Pharmicist. It could do those things in a lab environment, but could never change it on the distribution level.
Your right about "The drug manufacturers do (have that capability), and they bear the ultimate responsibility." and so does the originating stations sending out the bad signals. In your world, you are expecting a barely above minimum wage CSR to perform above and beyond what a doctorate (now required) Pharmicist would do in a similar situation.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #6049 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Word, if and when you get rain fade with Erect TV, make sure you don't blame God, go after the Erect TV quality control in your neighborhool who did not care to call the satellite controllers to increase the output of the transponders to suit your fancy.

Perhaps some SSRI's are in order?
post #6050 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

Word, if and when you get rain fade with Erect TV, make sure you don't blame God, go after the Erect TV quality control in your neighborhool who did not care to call the satellite controllers to increase the output of the transponders to suit your fancy.

well, if he does switch, since this is a LV HD forum, no matter which provider, we will still have to deal with his rants about them too. But, since 90% of the people in here have Cox as their sole provider, less people will take offense at his opinions.
post #6051 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Word, if and when you get rain fade with Erect TV,

I used to have Dish Network for six years and I've had DirecTV for six months, not once did I have a problem with rain fade...perfect picture during the few times it actually rains out here!

ÂTelevision broadcasting represents the highest and best use of the spectrum in the public interestÂ
post #6052 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:

No rain fade (or dust fade) out here in the wilds of Pahrump, even during the last gulley washer and 60+ mph winds we got during the past month.
If we lived in Florida, it might be a different story.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6053 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM

I already have a D* receiver (SD) and its connected to my SD television. I am merely "upgrading" to their HD service for my HDTV (which, at present, is using the Cox connection). I live in L.V. for 11 years and lived in the Phoenix area for two years before that. I have never encountered "rain fade". Not even ONCE.
I also have friends and some family living in cities throughout the U.S. that have much more in the way of inclement weather than we do here in L.V. People in NY, Phila, Chicago and Miami, have also NOT spoken to me about even ONE "rain fade" outage. And even if does occur here, the frequency of such interruptions will be far less than the # of times Cox Cable users must tolerate their B.S.
post #6054 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Dish and had Erect Tv, trust me, even with perfect alignment, rain fade exists.

Its pretty cool though, turn of the TV and watch the real HD light show outside.
post #6055 of 9259 Old 11-09-2007, 03:30 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Another unannounced speed upgrade? (middle tier)

post #6056 of 9259 Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Somehow my computer got all "screwed up" and although i have been "Word Maestro" up to now, I will now be known as "umpsie". But I will continue to be my same old annoying self.
post #6057 of 9259 Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I have Dish and had Erect Tv, trust me, even with perfect alignment, rain fade exists.

Its pretty cool though, turn of the TV and watch the real HD light show outside.

If you've lost your sat signal, you might want to have your equipment checked. Seven years in Henderson and 1.5 years in Pahrump and we never lost D* signal due to rain. We did, however, lose our Cox cable modem numerous times.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6058 of 9259 Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsblaski View Post

If you've lost your sat signal, you might want to have your equipment checked. Seven years in Henderson and 1.5 years in Pahrump and we never lost D* signal due to rain. We did, however, lose our Cox cable modem numerous times.

Consider where he's coming from. He's a Dish Network sub. A signal strength of 20 is actually considered a "good" signal level on their HD satellite.
post #6059 of 9259 Old 11-10-2007, 12:48 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpsie View Post

Somehow my computer got all "screwed up" and although i have been "Word Maestro" up to now, I will now be known as "umpsie". But I will continue to be my same old annoying self.

Mabey Word Maestro was deleted by a moderator due to exceeding the allowable annoyance threshold for avs?
post #6060 of 9259 Old 11-10-2007, 01:28 PM

So...

I'm watching ESPNHD, enjoying college football and getting ready for the next game (whichever it is) and then BOOM, ESPNHD BLOCKED OUT. "This program is not available in your area. (727)" WHAT THE _ _ _ _!!!!

Of course, the mental midget answering the phone after a few zillion levels of menu hell, has no clue. According to the TV guide for our time and location we're supposed to get either Florida State @ Virginia Tech - or - Illinois @ Ohio State. WE GET NEITHER!

So then I find FSU @ VT on Channel 210, but its SD and DTV SD Sucks _ _ _.

I look at the cox listings and cox subscribers are getting FSU @ VT, at least according to the website.

So how come the entire HD Channel is blocked out? Which ****** decided Las Vegas was a local market for a Florida, Virginia, Illinois or Ohio? Did MLB buy the NCAA?

Who do you think it is, ESPN? or DTV?

"Everywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time."
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page