AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadowe View Post

So...

I'm watching ESPNHD, enjoying college football and getting ready for the next game (whichever it is) and then BOOM, ESPNHD BLOCKED OUT. "This program is not available in your area. (727)" WHAT THE _ _ _ _!!!!

Of course, the mental midget answering the phone after a few zillion levels of menu hell, has no clue. According to the TV guide for our time and location we're supposed to get either Florida State @ Virginia Tech - or - Illinois @ Ohio State. WE GET NEITHER!

So then I find FSU @ VT on Channel 210, but its SD and DTV SD Sucks _ _ _.

I look at the cox listings and cox subscribers are getting FSU @ VT, at least according to the website.

So how come the entire HD Channel is blocked out? Which ****** decided Las Vegas was a local market for a Florida, Virginia, Illinois or Ohio? Did MLB buy the NCAA?

Who do you think it is, ESPN? or DTV?

ESPN HD is blacked out because the Ohio State game is on in HD on channel 13 locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM

ESPN HD on Cox simply has a black screen with no sound. So Cox subscribers also have the HD version blacked out. Ch 30 ESPN is fine with the FSU/VT game in SD.

George, why is Las Vegas blacked out from the HD version of the FSU/VT game? Why does it matter that Ch 13 is showing the other big game in HD?

Now available in living COLOR
post #6063 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

ESPN HD on Cox simply has a black screen with no sound. So Cox subscribers also have the HD version blacked out. Ch 30 ESPN is fine with the FSU/VT game in SD.

George, why is Las Vegas blacked out from the HD version of the FSU/VT game? Why does it matter that Ch 13 is showing the other big game in HD?

There is no HD version of the FSU/VT game. Anywhere. We can't be blacked out of something that doesn't exist.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3...bc330pmhz1.gif
post #6064 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM

I would think that the game would still be on ESPN HD with the sidebars.

Now available in living COLOR
post #6065 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Apparently it Ok to complain about a football game blackout in Las Vegas. But when I complain about baseball blackouts, that classifies as "whining".
post #6066 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

Mabey Word Maestro was deleted by a moderator due to exceeding the allowable annoyance threshold for avs?

As you can see from the attached user name, YOU'RE WRONG!!
post #6067 of 9261 Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Another unannounced speed upgrade? (middle tier)

Its possible that its the "ReadyBoost" or whatever Cox calls it. Its supposed to allow for faster burst speeds. They rolled it out a while ago and then unrolled it (I think it broke or something) and now maybe its back. I cant tell because I'm on a commercial 10/1 account.
post #6068 of 9261 Old 11-11-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

Consider where he's coming from. He's a Dish Network sub. A signal strength of 20 is actually considered a "good" signal level on their HD satellite.

If you read my post correctly, I stated that when I had Erect TV, I had the same rain fade problems.

So there, Georgie.
post #6069 of 9261 Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

I have Dish and had Erect Tv, trust me, even with perfect alignment, rain fade exists.

Its pretty cool though, turn of the TV and watch the real HD light show outside.

To refresh Georgies memory.
post #6070 of 9261 Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:

If you read my post correctly, I stated that when I had Erect TV, I had the same rain fade problems.

So there, Georgie.

To repeat:
If you've lost your sat signal, you might want to have your equipment checked. Seven years in Henderson and 1.5 years in Pahrump and we never lost D* signal due to rain. We did, however, lose our Cox cable modem numerous times.

And:
No rain fade (or dust fade) out here in the wilds of Pahrump, even during the last gulley washer and 60+ mph winds we got during the past month.
If we lived in Florida, it might be a different story.

And finally, to paraphrase you...So there, Froggy.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6071 of 9261 Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoustGod View Post

To quote you:

I have Dish and had Erect Tv, trust me, even with perfect alignment, rain fade exists.

"...rain fade exists." suggests a current situation. You stated "Erect Tv" was a past situation by use of the word "had". In either case, you never specify "rain fade" being pertinent to Dish or DirecTV with that sentence. We can only read what you write, not what you thought you wrote. I read it the same way George did. Spend less time with the corny "mis-spelling" routine and more time with useful commentary.

With Direct Tv and Dish Network, I have experienced rain fade.

Just because you did not, it doesn't mean it does not exist.

post #6072 of 9261 Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Another unannounced speed upgrade? (middle tier)

Maybe I am being affected - I tried to download Service pack 2 for windows XP and for the first minute or two I was getting 1.5MB/s or 12Mb/s. Then it slowed back down to 1.1MB/s. It might have been possible to get faster speeds but I think my CM only has a 10Mb/s port (how I got 12Mb/s I dunno).
post #6073 of 9261 Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Maybe I am being affected - I tried to download Service pack 2 for windows XP and for the first minute or two I was getting 1.5MB/s or 12Mb/s. Then it slowed back down to 1.1MB/s. It might have been possible to get faster speeds but I think my CM only has a 10Mb/s port (how I got 12Mb/s I dunno).

Which browser are you using?
I.E. 7, Netscape, Firefox, or some other?
post #6074 of 9261 Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the NFL Network games being advertised for channel 729 will only be active during the game broadcasts as a "special channel" or will channel 729 be the NFL Network 24/7 starting next Thursday?
post #6075 of 9261 Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Does anyone know if the NFL Network games being advertised for channel 729 will only be active during the game broadcasts as a "special channel" or will channel 729 be the NFL Network 24/7 starting next Thursday?

The only thing that the NFL Network broadcasts in HD are it's package of live games (which we are getting anyway) and the "NFL Replays" they show two days a week. Everything else is SD. It would really be a waste of bandwith to have the channel 24/7.
post #6076 of 9261 Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
More new Directv channels today:

* 299: Nickelodeon (NIK1HD)
* 325: Spike HD
* 327: Country Music Television (CMTHD)
* 331: MTV HD
* 335: VH1 HD

Regional Sports Channels:

* 620-1: Comcast Sports Net New England HD
* 630-1: FSN South HD
* 631-1: SportsSouth HD
* 632-1: Sun Sports HD
* 634-1: FSN Florida HD
* 637-1: FSN Ohio HD
* 638-1: FSN Cincinnati HD
* 641-1: FSN North HD
* 644-1: Altitude HD
* 645-1: FSN Rocky Mountain HD
* 649-1: FSN Arizona HD
* 651-1: FSN Northwest HD
* 654-1: FSN Bay Area HD
post #6077 of 9261 Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

The only thing that the NFL Network broadcasts in HD are it's package of live games (which we are getting anyway) and the "NFL Replays" they show two days a week. Everything else is SD. It would really be a waste of bandwith to have the channel 24/7.

That's not accurate. There is other HD content on NFL Network like the NFL Films documentary series America's Game.
post #6078 of 9261 Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

More new Directv channels today:

* 299: Nickelodeon (NIK1HD)
* 325: Spike HD
* 327: Country Music Television (CMTHD)
* 331: MTV HD
* 335: VH1 HD

Regional Sports Channels:

* 620-1: Comcast Sports Net New England HD
* 630-1: FSN South HD
* 631-1: SportsSouth HD
* 632-1: Sun Sports HD
* 634-1: FSN Florida HD
* 637-1: FSN Ohio HD
* 638-1: FSN Cincinnati HD
* 641-1: FSN North HD
* 644-1: Altitude HD
* 645-1: FSN Rocky Mountain HD
* 649-1: FSN Arizona HD
* 651-1: FSN Northwest HD
* 654-1: FSN Bay Area HD

What happened to the Regional Sports Channels such as MSG, FSNY, SNY, Fox West and Fox "Prime Ticket"? Or did you mean to list ONLY the new ones instead of ALL of them?
post #6079 of 9261 Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's just the new channels added today.

And they added more...

* 669-1: RSNaHD
* 648-1: FSN Midwest HD
* 646-1: FSN Utah HD
* 639-1: FSN Houston HD
* 642-1: FSN Wisconsin HD
post #6080 of 9261 Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.onetrak.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=2870

Quote:

Cox ramps to 1 Ghz, revamps backbone under EON plan
Karen Brown
Friday, November 09, 2007

For Cox Communications Inc. bigger will be better for its core network infrastructure – and that includes a move already under way to raise plant bandwidth to 1 Gigahertz across the board, take over operation of its own backbone fiber network and consolidate linear TV and video-on-demand services in two national hubs.

The MSO revealed some details about this initiative – dubbed the Extendable Optical Network – at a media briefing Wednesday in Rhode Island.

Chris Bowick, Cox’s senior vice president of engineering and chief technology officer, said the ambitious plans was aimed at moving Cox into the 2010 service world, a place that will require far more bandwidth and diversity of content. Cox’s marching orders from now until 2010 include:
scale back the analog channel count from 74 to 68
increase standard definition channels from 110 to 200-plus
raise HD channels from just 8 in 2006 to 100-plus
boost data bandwidth to 25 Megabits per second downstream, 4 Mbps upstream.

Enter EON, to provide the bandwidth in backbone and last mile as well as a new, more flexible and agile architecture – which Bowick dubbed “flexiagile.”

Starting in the last mile, bigger bandwidth is in the offing by cutting down on the size of nodes serving individual homes and boosting the overall plant capacity to 1 Gigahertz. At present Cox’s node size is about 620 homes offering between 750 and 860 Megahertz of total bandwidth.

Cox’s plan is to move its plant nationwide to 1 Gigahertz capacity – the first major MSO to take that step – and cut node size down to 310 homes initially. Eventually, the node size will reach a maximum 250 homes, Bowick said.

Bowick would not reveal how much it will cost to move to 1 Gigahertz across Cox’s markets, but he did note it was “not as expensive as you might think it would be.”

He gave a further hint at the cost range by noting that in comparison to Verizon Inc.’s $750 to $800 per home expense to build the base FiOS fiber-to-the-home network, Cox’s 1 GHz upgrade “wouldn’t be even close to that."

The 1 Gigahertz upgrade has already been completed in 70% of Cox’s markets, with almost no customer disruption, Bowick said.

Switched digital video, meanwhile, has been launched in two systems, and a third will be added in 2008. Switched digital video’s biggest attraction is the fact that it can offer virtually unlimited channel capacity, given it delivers into the home only the channels being viewed, rather than the entire channel lineup.

“We have taken a tack with switched digital video of a look see,” Bowick said. With the three launched markets planned “we will see how it goes.”

Cox also plans to start trials of Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) 3.0 in 2008. The new technology in its final iteration can deliver more than 160 Mbps downstream and 100 Mbps upstream.

Elsewhere, Cox also is eying the video bandwidth savings using MPEG-4. While the compression codec won’t be accessible to homes with older digital set-top boxes, MPEG-4 “plays beautifully in the 850 to 1 Gigahertz realm,” he noted.

Cox grows its own backbone

Nor is the capacity increase just to be found in the last mile. At present, Cox’s backbone network is operated by partner Level 3 Communications, with Cox paying on a per-bit basis. But in the past year traffic has doubled and the cost per bit for transport has dropped, Bowick said.

In response, Cox also has plans to up its national backbone game. It will create its own 18,000 mile backbone network using Level 3 dark fiber under a long-term indefeasible right to use (IRU) lease. That means hiring technicians to oversee the network and buying transmission gear to light it, but in the end Cox ends up with a network that costs less to run and is much more flexible – and using dense wave division multiplexing it can scale capacity on the backbone, Bowick said.

“Now we need to take a new look at the national infrastructure and own, if you will, that national infrastructure,” he said.

As with the 1 GHz upgrade, Bowick declined to offer any cost figures for the switch to a Cox-run fiber backbone. But he said the numbers did make sense given the projected expense under the managed fiber contract with Level 3.

“We looked at the OPEX verses CAPEX and it was a tremendous payback,” Bowick said.

Video delivery is also getting an architectural makeover, moving from a scheme whereby each Cox system manages and distributes linear and VOD content to a more central distribution, with two hubs delivering content to all markets.

Those two super hubs – the main one in Atlanta with a backup in San Diego – will be the aggregation points for the content. In doing so, Cox eliminates a lot of duplicate video processing and server storage for VOD content, Bowick said.

Plans are to turn up the super headends this month.

All in all, 50% of the EON upgrades have been completed, and Bowick said most of the rest of the work will be completed at the end of 2008.

Vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6081 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

That's not accurate. There is other HD content on NFL Network like the NFL Films documentary series America's Game.

It's still a waste of bandwith.
post #6082 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So it's going to take Cox until 2010 to reach the HD capacity Directv has now? Also do you know who that third market is they want to test SDV with is? I also kind of wonder how they plan on reducing the size of the nodes. That sounds like the painful part. Are they going to have to go around town tearing up a bunch of roads to create these new nodes. I also can't see why it is taking them so long to get rid of the analog channels. Hopefully Cox can deliver all this stuff.
post #6083 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM

adding band width makes sense because cox is adding more hd channels. limiting the number of homes on each node to 250 will guarantee a stronger signal... that's a good thing.
what i didn't understand is if all this talk about the expenses cox is incurring a preparation for another price increase?
post #6084 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course prices will go up. They always go up. All the TV providers prices are going up. You don't expect Cox to lose money to give you more channels do you.
post #6085 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

So it's going to take Cox until 2010 to reach the HD capacity Directv has now?

No, That's the endgame to fully reach 1Ghz bandwidth across their entire national network. HD channels are a byproduct of bandwidth allocation and they plan on delivering all the main national HD channels very soon.

Quote:

Also do you know who that third market is they want to test SDV with is?

No, it has not been disclosed to the public press.

Quote:

I also kind of wonder how they plan on reducing the size of the nodes. That sounds like the painful part. Are they going to have to go around town tearing up a bunch of roads to create these new nodes.

It has already been underway in LV for sometime now (think of all the new neighborhoods already done). It does not usually require tearing up right-of-way areas for older areas and nodes are added through the neighborhoods branching of cables converted to fiber via conduit.

Quote:

I also can't see why it is taking them so long to get rid of the analog channels. Hopefully Cox can deliver all this stuff.

Thanks to the FCC's Martin, they won't be able to remove analog for several years. He is mandating that cable has to carry all the local channels (including the shopping, religious, educational, and frivolous others) with their main digital channel including all subchannels converted to analog as well as natively in digital. That list in Vegas and many other cities is around 50 analog channels.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #6086 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Of course prices will go up. They always go up. All the TV providers prices are going up. You don't expect Cox to lose money to give you more channels do you.

i'm sure you meant what you said to be taken with the sarcasm it was intended, but in the few markets where there is competition among cable companies, the prices are much lower and they still make money. i wonder how they manage that?
post #6087 of 9261 Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Thanks to the FCC's Martin, they won't be able to remove analog for several years. He is mandating that cable has to carry all the local channels (including the shopping, religious, educational, and frivolous others) with their main digital channel including all subchannels converted to analog as well as natively in digital. That list in Vegas and many other cities is around 50 analog channels.

vegggas

That really sucks. There aren't 50 OTA channels around here even if you count all the sub channels are there.
post #6088 of 9261 Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Huh? Vegggas, are you sure you read Martin's rulemaking right? I read it as, "as long as you offer any analog channels in any shape or form, you must provide must-carry, religious, etc." A few of the news websites I read also interpreted that way.

DOCSIS 3.0 wil be a welcome sight - channel bonding and the better upstream modulation (found in DOCSIS 2.0 which never got anywhere) for faster speeds will be nice. Cox will be able to compete with FIOS - sorta. Verizon just the other day annouced they're rolling out GPON instead of BPON, so the fiber ring that was 600Mb/s for 32 homes will now be 2.5Gb/s, providing speeds of up to 200Mb/s per user. Verizon overbuilt their network anyways - if they were to use an SDV type setup instead of broadcasting all of their channels at once over a single strand, they could cut their deployment costs by 20%.

Cutting node size in half is a great start. Especially when nodes get down to 250 homes, then you couple that with an all digital distribution, SDV and MPEG 4 and you get practically unlimited channels - even in HD.

The fact that Cox is addressing both the last mile and the entire network is good. Though with storage so cheap, I really wonder about only having two VOD centers. Unless they plan on doing the remote DVR stuff that Comcast wanted and then bailed on because content providers didn't approve, they can have everything in HD locally - or at least in more than two places (Atlanta is running out of water and SD just had all those fires - great choices Cox!).
post #6089 of 9261 Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:

Word, if and when you get rain fade with Erect TV, make sure you don't blame God, go after the Erect TV quality control in your neighborhool who did not care to call the satellite controllers to increase the output of the transponders to suit your fancy.

You know not what you speak. I lived in Las Vegas for 16 years and had Primestar, then DirecTv for several years and never lost signal. Cox on the other hand had an outage almost every month.
post #6090 of 9261 Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramus8 View Post

You know not what you speak. I lived in Las Vegas for 16 years and had Primestar, then DirecTv for several years and never lost signal. Cox on the other hand had an outage almost every month.

I've posted similar statements to Froggy. I don't think we'll get a response since I don't believe he deals with facts--only (his) opinions. I suggested that he should have had his equipment checked. Seven years in Henderson and 1.5 years in Pahrump and I never had a rain fade with D* but did lose my Cox cable modem on more than one occasion.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page