post #6091 of 9391 Old 11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsblaski View Post

I've posted similar statements to Froggy. I don't think we'll get a response since I don't believe he deals with facts--only (his) opinions. I suggested that he should have had his equipment checked. Seven years in Henderson and 1.5 years in Pahrump and I never had a rain fade with D* but did lose my Cox cable modem on more than one occasion.

I really do not understand your guys logic. Just because you've never experienced rain fade, it does not mean it does not exist.

You'd have to be watching TV at every storm we get which is rare to begin with for the last 10 years. As for Cox, never had an outage when we had a storm.

But you see, I'll never come here and state as a fact that Cox does not have outages during storms. I was not watching TV during EVERY storm we had for the last 10 years nor did I have their service for the last 10 years.

Please people, get some logic in your thinking process. You are quite embarASSing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 9391 Old 11-17-2007, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

I really do not understand your guys logic. Just because you've never experienced rain fade, it does not mean it does not exist.

You'd have to be watching TV at every storm we get which is rare to begin with for the last 10 years. As for Cox, never had an outage when we had a storm.

But you see, I'll never come here and state as a fact that Cox does not have outages during storms. I was not watching TV during EVERY storm we had for the last 10 years nor did I have their service for the last 10 years.

Please people, get some logic in your thinking process. You are quite embarASSing.

I never said there was no such thing as rain fade. I did say I had never experienced any, even in the worst storms, few that there are, since I've been in Nevada. Since I never had any rain fade problems and you state that you did, I only suggested that it was possible that it could have been due to equipment problems.
Even if someone experienced rain fade with every major storm, that would amount to what--about two or three times a year?
As I said, I experienced cable modem failure more often than that.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #6093 of 9391 Old 11-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Why does Discovery HD (Cox -Channel 700) look better than ANY OTHER HD station?
post #6094 of 9391 Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 AM

Just plugged in an external hard drive using firewire and re-booted everything but it doesn't see it at all and ask to format it. Anybody have any tips or suggestions on how to get it going thanks

Anybody know when HBO & Starz On-Demand in HD will be available in Vegas I know its available in sad diego etc. etc. but when in vegas

Thanks
post #6095 of 9391 Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 AM

whoops sorry on cox and on SA8300HD in Vegas
post #6096 of 9391 Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM

I am pretty sure that you have to use eSata not firewire.

Keith
post #6097 of 9391 Old 11-18-2007, 04:29 PM

That is correct. To add an external drive, you have to use eSata.

The easiest way to add more space to the 8300HD is by getting the Western Didgital "My DVR Expander". When you purchase it from WD's store, you will get the drive, eSata cable and instructions. It could not be any easier.

Western Digital Product Page

If you are a do-it-yourself kinda person who wants to do this from scratch, there is an entire thread devoted to adding an external drive.

AVS Forum - 8300HD eSata Drive Instructions and Tips

Now available in living COLOR
post #6098 of 9391 Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

So did anyone watch the Rebel game on Saturday night. What a hatchet job Cox did to that signal. The game was evidently shot in HD to show on Channel 4 in San Diego. So Cox took the 16x9 picture and squished is to SD 4X3. I couldn't even make out the score on my parents 40" LCD when I was within 2' without using the TV to stretch it back to 16X9. Too bad they didn't just show the HD feed. It was kind of funny to watch the SD commercials with the bars on the left and right on a old school 19" TV when we were eating dinner.
post #6099 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

So did anyone watch the Rebel game on Saturday night. What a hatchet job Cox did to that signal. The game was evidently shot in HD to show on Channel 4 in San Diego. So Cox took the 16x9 picture and squished is to SD 4X3. I couldn't even make out the score on my parents 40" LCD when I was within 2' without using the TV to stretch it back to 16X9. Too bad they didn't just show the HD feed. It was kind of funny to watch the SD commercials with the bars on the left and right on a old school 19" TV when we were eating dinner.

This is how Cox showd every Padres game on channel 96 this past season. They squished the HD 16x9 feed in to a SD 4x3 presentation. Obviously, Cox Las Vegas shoud've either shown the HD feed on a HD channel, or grabbed the SD feed from San Diego. And yes...there is a SD feed available because I've seen it on MLB Extra Innings while at the club bar in Chase Field in Phoenix. I was truly surprised that nobody at Cox ever caught that they were airing the wrong feed of the Padres games. Obviously, that same engineer hooked up the Rebels game with the same wrong feed. Maybe Vegggas can inform his Cox buddies of the error so that it doesn't happen next year.

post #6100 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

This is how Cox showd every Padres game on channel 96 this past season. They squished the HD 16x9 feed in to a SD 4x3 presentation. Obviously, Cox Las Vegas shoud've either shown the HD feed on a HD channel, or grabbed the SD feed from San Diego. And yes...there is a SD feed available because I've seen it on MLB Extra Innings while at the club bar in Chase Field in Phoenix. I was truly surprised that nobody at Cox
ever caught that they were airing the wrong feed of the Padres games. Obviously, that same engineer hooked up the Rebels game with the same wrong feed. Maybe Vegggas can inform his Cox buddies of the error so that it doesn't happen next year.

I don't believe it's an error.

That "squished" HD feed can be manipulated by your TV to produce a full screen 16:9 picture with NO distortion by simply going to the "expand mode".
That squished picture (although occupying a 4:3 window) is taller and thinner than the ordinary 4:3 image. thus when expanding it to fill the entire screen, the picture appears in proper dimensions (no stretching at the sides). Of course, it's not true HD, but it DOES BECOME a full sized picture with NO distortions. I don't think their are too many things that Cox does right. But THAT WAS one of them.
post #6101 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

I don't believe it's an error.

That "squished" HD feed can be manipulated by your TV to produce a full screen 16:9 picture with NO distortion by simply going to the "expand mode".
That squished picture (although occupying a 4:3 window) is taller and thinner than the ordinary 4:3 image. thus when expanding it to fill the entire screen, the picture appears in proper dimensions (no stretching at the sides). Of course, it's not true HD, but it DOES BECOME a full sized picture with NO distortions. I don't think their are too many things that Cox does right. But THAT WAS one of them.

I would agree with you if it was a digital channel. This is an analog channel. My 4X3 SDTV that I bought 5-10 years ago don't stretch. They either need to letterbox it, make it an HD channel, or center crop the image.
post #6102 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

I would agree with you if it was a digital channel. This is an analog channel. My 4X3 SDTV that I bought 5-10 years ago don't stretch. They either need to letterbox it, make it an HD channel, or center crop the image.

You can agree with me, or not agree with me as you see fit. But I KNOW what I saw on my TV this past season.
And why are you talking about an SDTV on an HDTV forum?
post #6103 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And why are you talking about an SDTV on an HDTV forum?

Because I don't have a link to a Vegas area SDTV forum.
post #6104 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM

I actually liked being able to stretch the Padres game to make it at least 16x9. I could see that being very annoying if you didn't have a 16x9 TV though.
post #6105 of 9391 Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Why does Discovery HD (Cox -Channel 700) look better than ANY OTHER HD station?

Because that is the one they show at the Cox service center. Speaking of which when did that service center on Rancho become like the DMV? I went to go drop my SA8300HD since I went back to DirecTV, and I had to wait an hour. They give you those little numbers exactly like the DMV.
post #6106 of 9391 Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 AM

I've tried 8 ways from Sunday to get my Scientific-Atlanta HD to recognize an external drive with the e-sata cable (see previous post)

I always get the message "Attention: The external recording device is not functioning properly. Check to make sure the power and data cables are plugged in properly."

any tips or ideas?? do I need to upgrade the software on the 8300? if so how?

Thanks
post #6107 of 9391 Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Another Quick question for cox las vegas. When will HBO STARZ etc be available in HD in demand? e.g. on channel 699?

i believe cox are releasing more hd channels next month (december) hgtv hd a & e hd etc etc

thanks
post #6108 of 9391 Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy123 View Post

Another Quick question for cox las vegas. When will HBO STARZ etc be available in HD in demand? e.g. on channel 699?

i believe cox are releasing more hd channels next month (december) hgtv hd a & e hd etc etc

thanks

Where did you get this information, or is it just speculation?
post #6109 of 9391 Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy123 View Post

thanks

I don't know where you have been, but Cox has been showing A&E HD since the first week in October.
post #6110 of 9391 Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
just posting because this thread is dead.
post #6111 of 9391 Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is the latest hi-def stb that Cox offers?
post #6112 of 9391 Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

What is the latest hi-def stb that Cox offers?

As far as I know, they are still distributing 8300HDs.
And since Scientific Atlanta has stopped manufacturing them, all of the units from Cox are re-furbished.

Good luck!!
post #6113 of 9391 Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

As far as I know, they are still distributing 8300HDs.
And since Scientific Atlanta has stopped manufacturing them, all of the units from Cox are re-furbished.

Good luck!!

i guess you don't know everything after all... they are using the 8240hdc. the "c" is for a cable card slot.
post #6114 of 9391 Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM

For more info:

Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC PDF

A couple interesting things...It can only receive QAM digital, no analog. Which of course is not a problem on the Cox system since all analog channels are simulcast in digital. The other thing I find odd...the HD is still only 160 GB. With hard drive prices coming down and capacities going up, I would think that they would at least double the HD size since this is the newest model they are sending out to cable companies.

post #6115 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo5 View Post

i guess you don't know everything after all... they are using the 8240hdc. the "c" is for a cable card slot.

forgive me for being naive, but other than a gov''t mandate, why does this box need a cable card slot since it is , by definition, a cable company decoder box. I understand the need for cable cards for Tivos, PC tuners, and non cable company hardware, but what will be the usability for the card in this particular Cox cable box?
post #6116 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no reason other than the government mandate. The CableCard boxes work exactly the same as the non-CableCard boxes.
post #6117 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo5 View Post

I don't believe I ever claimed to "know everything".
But I do know what's important and what's window dressing.
All of these acronyms (thrown around with abandon-with absolutely no reference to what they mean) is IMO, "WINDOW DRESSING". Used ONLY to impress other readers. Something I cannot, and would not wish to do, if I could.
post #6118 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

forgive me for being naive, but other than a gov''t mandate, why does this box need a cable card slot since it is , by definition, a cable company decoder box. I understand the need for cable cards for Tivos, PC tuners, and non cable company hardware, but what will be the usability for the card in this particular Cox cable box?

i asked the same question when i was given this stb. no one seems to know at the office where i picked it up.
post #6119 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

The government mandate is the reason for the slot. The purpose of the mandate is to put third party boxes on par with the box you can get from the cable company. If you've dealt with cablecards you will quickly find out the cable company hates them and a bunch of them are defective. My mom had one of her cards brick on an update Cox pushed out. It took 3 people from Cox on 2 separate occasions and me telling them what to do to get it fixed.

BTW does anyone know how much the M-Cards cost compared to the S-Cards? do they charge you 2 digital gateway fees like they do if you get two S-Cards?
post #6120 of 9391 Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I don't believe I ever claimed to "know everything".
But I do know what's important and what's window dressing.
All of these acronyms (thrown around with abandon-with absolutely no reference to what they mean) is IMO, "WINDOW DRESSING". Used ONLY to impress other readers. Something I cannot, and would not wish to do, if I could.

i have no idea what you mean by "acronym", since i didn't use any. i just responded to your statement
"As far as I know, they are still distributing 8300HDs. And since Scientific Atlanta has stopped manufacturing them, all of the units from Cox are re-furbished. Good luck!!".

as you now know, cox is not supplying refurbished set top boxes.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page