post #6211 of 9226 Old 12-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

The coolest thing from the article?

The agreement will allow Cox subscribers to remotely record TV programs on digital video recorders through the My TV Guide product, which lets subscribers access DVRs located in their homes via an Internet connection...We're also happy that our new agreement includes select My TV Guide features and services, like remote record, which Cox may begin to deploy in the months ahead.

I have been waiting for this feature ever since I rented my first DVR from Cox. They say that deployment for those with the Scientific Atlanta DVR's will begin in early 2008. Maybe Vegggas can shed some more light from his sources as to when it may happen in Vegas.

As nice as this sounds if you google gemstar cox and guide you will find that this announcement was made sometime in 2006 and nothing happened.

Gemstar has nice looking guides. Some older crt monitors had them built in. However it seems that cox is a little slw when it comes to rolling out new products. I believe this has somerhing to do with the fact that the dish workd has more direct competetion as a customer can get either service anywhere. Cable has less motivation to change and offer mre and better as there are rareky mre than one provider in one area.

My father in canada has a dwcent gemstar based guide but it is nothing compared to tivo.
No tivo suggestions for cox customers i guess.

Btw. Discoverys new hd channel looks pretty darn good. Watching it right now.
o

for a great CONTENT focused iPhone and gadget blog please visit:
www.theiphoneblog.info

content is the focus so my articles are well written
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Time for some whining.

Cox (or somebody) does it again!!

This morning (and up to this moment) Fox HD, CBS-HD and ABC-HD are all presenting a marvelous TOTALLY BLANK SCREEN on Cox Cable. I won't bother calling Cox about it, because I don't have the patience to wade through the many menu layers until you can finally reach a CRS person.
But since Cox doesn't charge "extra" for local HD service, they are very rarely in a hurry to fix what's wrong.
You think the public would be a bit more agitated if it were "Super Bowl Sunday"?
post #6213 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM

i am currently experiencing my third outtage in two weeks now. this is strange because i live in a built area of town without alot of new construction (jones and charleston) and cox knows nothing.

so there you have it.

how much credit can i get for these outtages. last time they gave me $6 a day times 2 days as that is what i am pro-rated for...

so what should i do?

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6214 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that all depends. Do you know why it keeps going out? Look and see what the tech does. When I first moved in my house every time it rained for the first three years the connection out in the street would fail. The guy would cut the end off and replace it and it would work again. Luckily they finally got a connector that works now. You can either keep Cox and call and complain (maybe they'll give you free programming) or cancel and get Directv or Dish.
post #6215 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know which sat and transponder our HD locals come from on Directv?
post #6216 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

Well that all depends. Do you know why it keeps going out? Look and see what the tech does. When I first moved in my house every time it rained for the first three years the connection out in the street would fail. The guy would cut the end off and replace it and it would work again. Luckily they finally got a connector that works now. You can either keep Cox and call and complain (maybe they'll give you free programming) or cancel and get Directv or Dish.

no, my setup is now 110% of what it can be. i am a pretty technical guy, and i had senior techs out to my house a few times to get things working.

this problem puts more than one person out in my area... as in dozens of houses go out.

no one knows why and they are calling it "unplanned outtages" which is an oxymoron if you ask me.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6217 of 9226 Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

As to SDV no Cox doesn't use it here yet. My parents have both a S3 and TiVo HD and they get all the new stations. My mom who has the S3 I have to reboot the system to get the new channels or when Cox moves the channels around. My dad's TiVo HD with the M stream card doesn't need to be rebooted.

Rebooting my Tivo S3 does not bring up the new HD channels.

I only subscribe to Cox Limited Basic Service channels 2-17 (not Expanded Basic channels 18-69, 95-98) and HD channels. I wonder if that could somehow be related to not getting all HD channels. Some of the new HD channels appear to be HD versions of Expanded Basic ones. It is hard to find a knowledgeable Cox customer service rep.
post #6218 of 9226 Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Direct HD locals Las Vegas spot beam is on the 99 sat. I belive there is only one transponder lit and that's ours.
post #6219 of 9226 Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post

I only subscribe to Cox Limited Basic Service channels 2-17 (not Expanded Basic channels 18-69, 95-98) and HD channels.

What HD channels are you getting? Local only, or some of the other HD channels?

Cox installs a filter on your line to prevent you from getting channels 18-69. I dont know if it blocks the upper channels (70-135). You can try tuning channels 95-98 and see what happens. If you cant get those channels its likely the filter is blocking them.
post #6220 of 9226 Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM

24hrs has passed since the first outage.
Still no ABC-HD from Cox.

Not that I find anything worth watching on ABC today, but such an outage from a major network and a major cable provider is INEXCUSABLE.
post #6221 of 9226 Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

What HD channels are you getting? Local only, or some of the other HD channels?

Cox installs a filter on your line to prevent you from getting channels 18-69. I dont know if it blocks the upper channels (70-135). You can try tuning channels 95-98 and see what happens. If you cant get those channels its likely the filter is blocking them.

I get all local and non-local HD channels except 701 HDPPV, 702 NGCHD, 703 HSTRYHD, 707 AETVHD, 722 TLCHD, 723 HGTVHD, 724 FOODHD, 726 TBSHD, and 727 DSCHD.

Yes I know I have a filter on my line. I receive channels 1-17, 95-98, 102, 108, 110-112, and 121-129.

I am trying to insure that I receive all HD channels I am entitled to receive with Cox Limited Basic Service. I also subscribe to HBO, Cinemax and Starz and get all SD and HD versions of those channels. The Cox CSRs I have spoken with seem uninformed and just want to send a tech to my house.
post #6222 of 9226 Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I get all local and non-local HD channels except 701 HDPPV, 702 NGCHD, 703 HSTRYHD, 707 AETVHD, 722 TLCHD, 723 HGTVHD, 724 FOODHD, 726 TBSHD, and 727 DSCHD.

Yes I know I have a filter on my line. I receive channels 1-17, 95-98, 102, 108, 110-112, and 121-129.

I am trying to insure that I receive all HD channels I am entitled to receive with Cox Limited Basic Service. I also subscribe to HBO, Cinemax and Starz and get all SD and HD versions of those channels. The Cox CSRs I have spoken with seem uninformed and just want to send a tech to my house.

You wont get any on demand AFAIK due to the cable card the TIVo uses being one way only, unable to send requests out to cox cable like the cox boxes do.

Also, take note that every channel you DONT Get is a channel added since october of 07, all the new goodies that happened recently.

That seems like too odd a coincidence to me.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6223 of 9226 Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone in Vegas interested in a pair of B&W 801 F speakers?
post #6224 of 9226 Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM

What the hell is going on with ABC-HD on Cox?

For a full three days now, there has been no HD signal on Channel 732. Two days of a blank screen, and this morning an SD signal (480i) is appearing on Channel 732.
This is quality control? This is what a "so called" major city is capable of? In most other Metropolitan areas, you are unfortunate if you lose a signal for 3 minutes, let alone 3 days. This is ridiculous.
And nobody seems to know anything. Cox doesn't know, and ABC is unreachable.
Yes, I know we don't pay "extra" for our local HDs. But maybe if we did, the quality control would be far more up to date.
post #6225 of 9226 Old 12-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven View Post

You wont get any on demand AFAIK due to the cable card the TIVo uses being one way only, unable to send requests out to cox cable like the cox boxes do.

Also, take note that every channel you DONT Get is a channel added since october of 07, all the new goodies that happened recently.

That seems like too odd a coincidence to me.

I realize Tivo is one way only. I am not interested in on demand. I just want to be sure I am receiving all the HD channels I am entitled to. I think the one new channel I have started to receive since 10/07 is 734 KVCWDT.
post #6226 of 9226 Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I realize Tivo is one way only. I am not interested in on demand. I just want to be sure I am receiving all the HD channels I am entitled to. I think the one new channel I have started to receive since 10/07 is 734 KVCWDT.

right... but i think that most of those HD channels that you dont get started the first week of october.

I recall ordering D* thinking i would get great HD and SD channels... i ordered that the last week of september. I cancelled it before october, and the first week of october we got the first run of new HD on cox (that was A&E, Nat Geo, History and one other i cant think of)

the others were TBS which came late oct for the world series... then the others.

Anyhow, i dotn know much about HD, just giving my opinion

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6227 of 9226 Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:

I recall ordering D* thinking i would get great HD and SD channels... i ordered that the last week of september. I cancelled it before october,

Why did you cancel D*?
post #6228 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

Why did you cancel D*?

we watch ALOT of fox new channel and other standard def channels, and we noticed after the D* install the quality on these channels is far less than what it is with cox cable.

My setup was as good as it gets. A fresh D* install with a perfect cable setupm both outputting to my 60 inch sony SXRD set with HDMI so i could cycle between the two pictures.

After the install, i put on two channels i watch alot. Discovery HD theatre and fox news. I wasnt surprised that the HD channel looked fine, but fox looked:

-washed out
-lower res (pixilated almost)
-sounded worse.

I asked the installer about why fox news looked this way (he does NOT have cox cable) and he told me that fox news on cox cable is an HD channel.

Odd because you know... THERE IS NO HD VERSION OF FOX NEWS... JUST FOX BUSINESS. And as of end of september, there was no fox business channel, it had not launched.

So that tells you how HE saw the picture. He was convinced that cox had an HD signal for a channel that only broadcasts SD to anywhere right now.

I tinkered to no end for the next two days, trying to get the best settings for my setup. I called D* and got several levels into the tech support when i found out that D* at the time was broadcasting mpeg2 signals which were poorly displayed on my screen... the D* tech support told me (and i read some online sources) that this is a limitation of sat. right now so they can offer so much SD and HD at once... and that given a few years this will likely not be an issue.

since the cable co. only has to worry about so much bandwidth for so many people (as they only offer so many channels) they can offer a better picture on SD channels even though they claim all channels are now broadcast digitally.

long story huh?

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6229 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I called D* and got several levels into the tech support when i found out that D* at the time was broadcasting mpeg2 signals which were poorly displayed on my screen... the D* tech support told me (and i read some online sources) that this is a limitation of sat. right now so they can offer so much SD and HD at once.

A long story and a very sad one. D*s new HR20DVR, works beautifully, and receives MPEG-4 technology. I wanted D* for its sports coverage. Which neither Cox nor Dish can possibly equal. I'm not very interested in watching Bill O'Reilly in the clearest picture possible.

Did you have the new 5LNB dish installed with your receiver? I may be wrong about this, but I believe that without such a dish, your system cannot receive MPEG-4.
By the way, its now been 4 full days and the good folks at Cox Cable have been unable to overcome the difficulties of receiving ANY HD signal from ABC.
No information is available about the problem, only that the Cox "engineers" are working on it. Apparently they work VERY, VERY slowly.
post #6230 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:

A long story and a very sad one. D*s new HR20DVR, works beautifully, and receives MPEG-4 technology. I wanted D* for its sports coverage. Which neither Cox nor Dish can possibly equal. I'm not very interested in watching Bill O'Reilly in the clearest picture possible.

Did you have the new 5LNB dish installed with your receiver? I may be wrong about this, but I believe that without such a dish, your system cannot receive MPEG-4.
By the way, its now been 4 full days and the good folks at Cox Cable have been unable to overcome the difficulties of receiving ANY HD signal from ABC.
No information is available about the problem, only that the Cox "engineers" are working on it. Apparently they work VERY, VERY slowly.

I did have the 5 signal dish. I also had the new dvr etc. Dunno i guess better the devil i know personally.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6231 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I think the one new channel I have started to receive since 10/07 is 734 KVCWDT.

And KVCWDT is unencrypted, which is why you get it.
post #6232 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

So that tells you how HE saw the picture. He was convinced that cox had an HD signal for a channel that only broadcasts SD to anywhere right now.

Either that or he's completely blind. I'm convinced it's the latter as I have NEVER confused any of Cox's SD channels with HD. Most are not of bad quality, but NONE are anywhere near HD quality.
post #6233 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

Either that or he's completely blind. I'm convinced it's the latter as I have NEVER confused any of Cox's SD channels with HD. Most are not of bad quality, but NONE are anywhere near HD quality.

Or because he had nothing to compare that as signal to other than d*
I dont care as it wasn't going to get any better no matter what his level of uderstanding of hd or sd.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6234 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Doesn't ANYBODY know what the problem, is with ABC-HD on Cox??
post #6235 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:

i am sure that this isnt the answer you want, but ABC works fine for me.
I had an outtage on it about 3 days ago, but i just put it in picture in picture and it is working ok.

have you rebooted your box? Try that... or get a new box from cox. I replace my DVR about once every 4-6 months and all my "problems" go away.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6236 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i am sure that this isnt the answer you want, but ABC works fine for me.

Channel 732 is not showing the HD feed like it should. It's SD only, so it's not working "fine".

Quote:
have you rebooted your box? Try that... or get a new box from cox. I replace my DVR about once every 4-6 months and all my "problems" go away.

This is a system wide problem. Rebooting the box will accomplish nothing. We just have to wait until it's fixed. The picture is pretty crummy on the NBA games today.
post #6237 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Channel 732 is not showing the HD feed like it should. It's SD only, so it's not working "fine".

This is a system wide problem. Rebooting the box will accomplish nothing. We just have to wait until it's fixed. The picture is pretty crummy on the NBA games today.

wow... well you sound annoyed. ABC has some flaky HD indeed. I noticed that shows like dancing with the stars always sound like they are in a tin can.

I didnt notice that it wasnt working right in HD. seems like maybe ABC isnt sending out an HD feed?

Can anyone with D* let us know?

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6238 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yesterday I kept getting dropouts recording the how the grich stole xmas using the Dish DVR. Watching it directly using the TV exibited the same problem.

This using an unamplified channel master stealth antenna.
All other channels from the same tower were fine.
post #6239 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didnt notice that it wasnt working right in HD. seems like maybe ABC isnt sending out an HD feed?

It's a Cox problem. The OTA feed is fine.
post #6240 of 9226 Old 12-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

It's a Cox problem. The OTA feed is fine.

so the OTA HD is ok? Or just the SD... as the SD signal is being send over the HD channel...

www.theiphoneblog.info

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page