Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6271 of 9221 Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be hanging around with the local crew of industry techies tomorrow and hope to have comments, answers, and tidbits on Monday before I leave again. I better make it back for CES!

vegggas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 9221 Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

The blurring you describe on CBS is related to their old (by todays standards) transmitter encoder that takes the network feed from 40Mbps down to a broadcastable 15 to 18Mbps per signal. They were the first local broadcaster to get their encoder, and it is also the oldest and least efficient. The latest ones can take that same network feed and reduce it down to less than 13Mbs and still look better than their current one at 16Mbps.

vegggas

The blurring is caused by an incorrect setting used in the Harris Flexicoder the station is apparently using. The manual for the Flexicoder even states that this setting should not be used, though for some reason it is enabled by default. My canned answer any time this issue is brought up:
Quote:

Blurring on high-motion shots is almost certainly due to your local affiliate using an improperly-configured Harris Flexicoder. The station's engineer needs to go into the config for the encoder and set the prefilter (aka "prefilt") to 1 or disabled. Having it set to 0 or adaptive causes the encoder to blur when high motion is shown, such as a fast pan across a detailed screen, or a logo flying across the screen after a replay or whatever. This issue (and the fix) is known by all the networks, and the station engineer should be able to contact the network's engineering department to confirm this.

I would highly suggest contacting the station's engineering department and bringing this up. We had to do it for the NBC, CW, PBS, and independent stations here in Phoenix, and all of them adjusted the setting and we are now blur-free.
post #6273 of 9221 Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

Do you have a high speed internet connection?

If yes, DirecTV has On Demand. For the most part the selection is better than what's on Cox, but no Howard TV yet.

Could you elaborate on that? Would I have to watch the movie on my computer?

Hask
post #6274 of 9221 Old 12-30-2007, 08:03 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

... Once I connected the computer directly to the modem, bypassing the router, the speeds jumped to "normal" levels. I went out and bought a new router, making sure that it said "Vista compatible" on the box. I haven't had any speed issues since. So my advice would be to connect the laptop directly to the modem and see if your speed jumps.....

thanks bruin for the advise. I connected the new Vista laptop with wired ethernet to the router and the speeds were normal again. I suppose the issue is related to the built in wireless card in the machine. I have updated all drivers but still have the wireless speed problems. Will look into updating the router firmware also.
post #6275 of 9221 Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Word,
I'm glad you got a chance to compare signals, but you do understand that the differences that you saw were related to the networks and had noting to do with Cox, right?

vegggas

Since you are comparing different networks, you may be correct.
However, what explanation accounts for the following?
Lets assume you restricted your viewing to only one network. Lets say it was NBC. If one further assumes that the signal emanating from NBC is picked up by Cox/D*/and Dish, and sent out to the public via their individual facilities, .....why, if the quality of the signal is only determined by NBC, is there a discernible difference between the video and audio provided by Cox, D* or Dish?

Now a viewer may feel that any one of those three entities provides the best HDTV experience. Which of the three they think is best, is of little consequence. Nevertheless, if the source (NBC) of the signal is the same in every case, those discernible differences MUST be the result of signal processing (or lack thereof) by the company which delivers the signal to the viewers home.
post #6276 of 9221 Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 AM

HiHo,

I've phoned and just emailed Cox about the digital feed of FOX. It's been out for about a week now, maybe more. The phone conversation took about 10 minutes to get the person on the other end to figure out how I'm able to watch HD without one of their digital cable boxes. After that she said that, yes channel 735 (5-1) is out and they are working on fixing it. I will let you know if I hear back from the email I've sent them.

I get my HD from their basic cable ran through a samsung HD tuner.
post #6277 of 9221 Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 AM

Interesting.

I'm watching Fox-HD right now (channel 735) and it looks fine to me.
post #6278 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Could you elaborate on that? Would I have to watch the movie on my computer?

Hask

No you hook the receiver up to the internet and it downloads there and plays on your TV. You need one of those MPEG4 receivers though.
post #6279 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Maestro View Post

Since you are comparing different networks, you may be correct.
However, what explanation accounts for the following?
Lets assume you restricted your viewing to only one network. Lets say it was NBC. If one further assumes that the signal emanating from NBC is picked up by Cox/D*/and Dish, and sent out to the public via their individual facilities, .....why, if the quality of the signal is only determined by NBC, is there a discernible difference between the video and audio provided by Cox, D* or Dish?

Now a viewer may feel that any one of those three entities provides the best HDTV experience. Which of the three they think is best, is of little consequence. Nevertheless, if the source (NBC) of the signal is the same in every case, those discernible differences MUST be the result of signal processing (or lack thereof) by the company which delivers the signal to the viewers home.

You answered your own question at the end of your message.
First, lets rephrase that local stations are not "picked up" by the providers, but are "Delivered" to the providers by the stations based on retransmit contracts - There is a big difference.
Local stations deliver their signal to all the other providers and OTA users. The OTA signal AND cable signal is directly controlled by the local station (ABCHD went down on Cox because ABC had a failure of thier delivery equipment during their studio move and had to get equipment flown in over the holiday) That same signal sent to DirecTV can be RE-ENCODED, RE-SIZED and RE-COMPRESSED from that original signal to fit on their sats in a different mpeg format that is not the original signal anymore. This is why as long as it has been available, there have been no discernable differences between OTA and Cox delivered signals.
The last factor is the tuning and local delivery and display method in the home. Where is the signal tuned depends on a STB, or internal tuner for OTA. Those with internal QAM (Cable tuners) and 8VSB (OTA tuners) see the exact same signal quality between the two outlets. Using a STB to tune an OTA signal or from Cox has the added difference of the STB outputs, the connection method used and the TV's input processing or lack therof on varying inputs. Most STB's outputs are very similar between HDMI and Component connections, but most TV's will do some processing on the component connection, but not on the HDMI connection. Getting all your inputs calibrated helps this dramatically.
As for STB's, each one will have a unique look, similar to how different DVD players look different with the same DVD. SA STB's have been reported as being softer than other STB's as they usually do processing in the analog demain (softer image, but with more detail), while Dish's STB's have been reported as having much harder contrast, eliminating many fine details or thin lines, while emphasizing thick lines with hard edges (harder image with less detail). DirecTV's STB's have been more middle of the road providing decent quality and output that is pleasing to the eye for most users. Until recently, DirecTV used OTA tuners for local HD channels, but their newest STB's will only get the signal from the sat after it's been re-encoded and converted to Mpeg4 format.

vegggas
post #6280 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

As touched on in the previous email, the problem with ABCHD over Cox was a result of the local KTNV station moving to it's new HD studio (both studios are located at Desert INN and Valley View right next door to each other) and having a problem sending a transmitable signal to Cox after the move. KTNV had to get replacement equipment flown in over the holiday to again deliver a signal that was able to be transmitted over Cox's network. Note that the traffic channel was down at this time as well.
Cox had to take KTNV's analog signal, which they do process to digital for their analog to digital simulcast and insert it in that slot to show SD progamming until KTNV was able to replace the equipment.

vegggas
post #6281 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned earlier in this thread Cox as an agreement to make the Passport Echo version of the IPG the standard version of an IPG in all markets. Passport echo is the standard interface used in Motorola markets, but is being ported over to SA markets. it will also be their OpenCable interface for TV's and STB's using OpenCable standards.
Expect changes to be made sometime in the first half of the year (or earlier if we are a test location). Cox has been granted a patent license to modify and have a unique looking interface, but that may take a bit longer to develop, but some of the first features users will notice are the enhanced search by letter or keyword functions for both the IPG and VOD (SARA only usues letter search for VOD), Use of TV-Guide online profiles, search and remote scheduling, and caller ID and other interactive applications.
More specifics after CES

vegggas
post #6282 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Local system upgrades to increase bandwidth up to 1Ghz were delayed, but completed recently as they pushed to complete Boulder city's structure to be the same as Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, SW Las Vegas and Henderson plants. Due to the few weeks delay in completion, major launches of HD channels were also delayed, but should continue in January (after CES). Expected HD lineup should include all of the currently available nationally contracted HD channels, with a possible chance of a new premium HD channel tier available (think OC).
With Las Vegas hosting CES private HD channels and communication logistics, don't expect to see any public release of channels until after CES.

vegggas
post #6283 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just looked on my IPG and HD on Demand. I can currently choose any of 50 different HD channels or movies instantly. Of course, 23 of those are HD movies that are instantly available on demand. 1 is a PPV event channel. 1 is NFLHD channel that doesn't broadcast unless there is an HD game on. NBAHD is on Mojo, but at least Mojo shows HD content when there are no games available.
That leaves 25 linear HD channels currently available here on Cox Las Vegas as of the end of 2007. Fuzzy math (as once defined by DirecTV with 100's of HD channels available and comcast of up to 800 channels) says that there are 50 HD channels available by the end of 2007. Although that seems low, I seem to have a hard time watching what I want without 3 dual tuner HDDVR's already. As I posted above, expect that count (real and virtual) to go up dramatically over the next few weeks after CES.

Happy new year and I will be back (hopefully) for CES coverage.

vegggas
post #6284 of 9221 Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

With Las Vegas hosting CES private HD channels and communication logistics, don't expect to see any public release of channels until after CES.
vegggas

If I recall , last year, the HDNet channels were available unencrypted on local QAM during last years CES, but that may just be my "fuzzy" memory.
post #6285 of 9221 Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew what the newest and/or best Cox HD set top box is. I have the Explorer 3100HD right now and it has some major problems, like when I change channels fast it re-boots. I am not interested in the DVR version for this TV, just the regular box. Thanks in advance for any advice.
post #6286 of 9221 Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM

I have a question regarding cox services... and no one can answer it within cox:

what is up with the cox cable IPG (interactive program guide)?

Months and months ago (almost an entire year) it was announced that cox and tivo were in partnership to deliver tivo services over subscribers existing DVR Boxes... comcast cable customers in the northeast (new england i think to be correct you can see a video of it here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0)
already have the service.... so where is the new guide for cox cable?

Someone posted here in this thread that there is a renewal of a deal with gemstar/tvguide but those deals dont pan out.

i like all my technology new as it can be... we (my wife and I) have always had the newest and best so to speak... and i cant stand the old guide that cox las vegas uses.

I know i could drop $300-$400 on a tivo box, but i dont want to give up vod... as low resolution as it is, it is NICE to be able to throw on some sugary kids show for the kids when they visit around the holidays, and i like the idea of HD on demand.

any info on this?

p.s.
check out that link. tivo looks so slick as opposed to the cox guide... makes me jealous.

for a great CONTENT focused iPhone and gadget blog please visit:
www.theiphoneblog.info

content is the focus so my articles are well written
post #6287 of 9221 Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Here is an odd one, my dad got a new cable box. The front says Explorer 3250HD. The back looks like a regular 3250. No component output, no firewire output, etc. Whats up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven View Post

I have a question regarding cox services... and no one can answer it within cox:

Months and months ago (almost an entire year) it was announced that cox and tivo were in partnership to deliver tivo services over subscribers existing DVR Boxes... comcast cable customers in the northeast (new england i think to be correct you can see a video of it here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0)

Someone posted here in this thread that there is a renewal of a deal with gemstar/tvguide but those deals dont pan out.

i like all my technology new as it can be... we (my wife and I) have always had the newest and best so to speak... and i cant stand the old guide that cox las vegas uses.

I know i could drop $300-$400 on a tivo box, but i dont want to give up vod... as low resolution as it is, it is NICE to be able to throw on some sugary kids show for the kids when they visit around the holidays, and i like the idea of HD on demand.

any info on this?

p.s.
check out that link. tivo looks so slick as opposed to the cox guide... makes me jealous.

Wait for the fourth generation TiVo? Maybe 2009? Who knows. It will have dual mode OCAP and TiVo.
post #6288 of 9221 Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven View Post

any info on this?

p.s.

You may want to read Vegggas' post above. #6289.
post #6289 of 9221 Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 PM

I have the ancient 3250HD box from Cox. How do I eliminate sidebars with this unit? I've tried the suggestions from vegggas' thread concerning the 8300 (the press guide/info buttons method) with no reaction from my STB. Any suggestions or do I need to switch this box out for a newer model?
post #6290 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoustGod View Post

I have the ancient 3250HD box from Cox. How do I eliminate sidebars with this unit? I've tried the suggestions from vegggas' thread concerning the 8300 (the press guide/info buttons method) with no reaction from my STB. Any suggestions or do I need to switch this box out for a newer model?

Since sidebars/columns are there because there is no actual video data to fill them in on a 16x9 display, the only thing you can do is hit the HD Zoom or # button on the Cox remote, or the screen/aspect button on your TV remote. That should stretch the picture for you.

If that doesn't seem to be helping, try the "settings" suggestion on page 24/25 in the user guide below:

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/pro...dfs/752313.pdf
post #6291 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just looked on my IPG and HD on Demand. I can currently choose any of 50 different HD channels or movies instantly. Of course, 23 of those are HD movies that are instantly available on demand. 1 is a PPV event channel. 1 is NFLHD channel that doesn't broadcast unless there is an HD game on. NBAHD is on Mojo, but at least Mojo shows HD content when there are no games available.
That leaves 25 linear HD channels currently available here on Cox Las Vegas as of the end of 2007. Fuzzy math (as once defined by DirecTV with 100's of HD channels available and comcast of up to 800 channels) says that there are 50 HD channels available by the end of 2007. Although that seems low, I seem to have a hard time watching what I want without 3 dual tuner HDDVR's already. As I posted above, expect that count (real and virtual) to go up dramatically over the next few weeks after CES.

Happy new year and I will be back (hopefully) for CES coverage.

vegggas

If you want to play that game, DirecTV recently added HD Movies On Demand. (Evan Almighty, The Host, and Mr. Brooks are currently available.)
post #6292 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Are those streamed over the net like other D* VOD content? If so, it won't take long for Cox, Comcast, TWC, etc. to decide that the traffic from DirecTV is degrading the service of their network and start shaping it like many already do for P2P and VOIP.
post #6293 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Are those streamed over the net like other D* VOD content? If so, it won't take long for Cox, Comcast, TWC, etc. to decide that the traffic from DirecTV is degrading the service of their network and start shaping it like many already do for P2P and VOIP.

Yes, they're delivered over you net connection. And I agree with you assessment, so people ought to support net neutrality if they want choices in innovative net content.
post #6294 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM

cox does not block any p2p traffic though. They do cripple usenet though limiting news servers to about 125k max. My old ISP in Canada let usenet connections go up to 1 meg download speeds.

Of all the lame cox policies the capped news servers are IMO the worst of it.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6295 of 9221 Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM

As to Usenet... Newsleecher $29.95 first year, free from then on.

http://www.newsleecher.com/?src=inprog

Newshosting.com $14.95 month.

http://newshosting.com/

8 threads, Unlimited speeds per thread, Unlimited transfers, 45+ days retention, 99% completion rate. Totally max out a 10+meg connection.
1.32MB/s...up to 2.5MB/s with burst.

It sucks having to pay but Cox gave up any real attempt at Newsgroup service years ago and this will pay for itself every month no matter what you collect!

Primet
post #6296 of 9221 Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

KTNV HD has been down for me for about 24 hours on both D* and OTA ATSC.

Anybody else experiencing this? What about on Cox?

Quietly rooting for the glorious comeback of the MCE2005 UI in the new Vista Media Center.
post #6297 of 9221 Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 PM

13 is out on Cox too.
post #6298 of 9221 Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM

good deal. I may check it out. What gets me is that afaik newsgroups are pretty self explsnitory and should be one of the easiest things they can run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primet View Post

As to Usenet... Newsleecher $29.95 first year, free from then on.

http://www.newsleecher.com/?src=inprog

Newshosting.com $14.95 month.

http://newshosting.com/

8 threads, Unlimited speeds per thread, Unlimited transfers, 45+ days retention, 99% completion rate. Totally max out a 10+meg connection.
1.32MB/s...up to 2.5MB/s with burst.

It sucks having to pay but Cox gave up any real attempt at Newsgroup service years ago and this will pay for itself every month no matter what you collect!

Primet

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6299 of 9221 Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 PM

last night i noticed that cox channel 732 (abc hd) is no longer listed as an hd channel.

Anyone else notice this? I was watching local news. The logo said hd on it but the guide is stated as simply "abc"

Every other channel on the hd tier is listed as:
"---HD" ad in "nbchd" "foxhd" ect.

So did cox just give up on abc for now?

And this started a few weeks after abc started to broadcast local news in hd.

www.theiphoneblog.info

post #6300 of 9221 Old 01-05-2008, 09:25 PM

I have 4 different family members with TVs that have digital tuners in them and no STB. At two locations near Lone Mountain, neither TV picks up any of the HD channels on the Cox cable wire. At the other 2 locations near Craig and US95 they can pickup the HD signals on 3.1, 8.1, etc. using the Cox cable wire.

Does anyone else see this kind of spotty support for the HD channels on Cox's system?

Does anyone pickup HD channels on Cox's system without a STB near Lone Mtn?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page