1Likes

post #8011 of 9259 Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Edited my post above. San Diego they are Plus Pak Channels.
I still dont think they will make us pay extra. Before I forget we are not using SDV.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9259 Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post
I still dont think they will make us pay extra. Before I forget we are not using SDV.
Let us know when they go live, if your TiVo will tune them. Is it a TiVo Premier?

Chances are good that the frequencies are above 860MHz and I've seen it posted the "Plus Pak" is an additional $5.00/mo.

vegggas would probably know for sure.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8013 of 9259 Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Let us know when they go live, if your TiVo will tune them. Is it a TiVo Premier?

Chances are good that the frequencies are above 860MHz and I've seen it posted the "Plus Pak" is an additional $5.00/mo.

vegggas would probably know for sure.
Sure I or someone else will let the world know when the new channels are active or if you listen closely you might be able to hear the cries of joy all the way in Pheonix. It is an old tivo HD I have hope to build a htpc with a ceton card soon to replace it.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #8014 of 9259 Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Sounds about right - 30 to 50 new HD channels by end of 2011 as they have been announcing for the last several years with the completion of the EON project that effectively upgraded every bit of their nationwide and local networks to handle CATV frequencies to 1Ghz.
The Trio Guide Plus pack is an inclusive package that has about 30 (at launch and up to 50? soon after) additional HD channels, new multi-room hardware and IPG in a complete package. As I posted earlier, Cox is bullish in rolling this out to most of their footprint by the end of the year. There are no specific details about marketing, other than a single package of hardware and associated services. There have been press releases about Cox and Tivo and merging some of the Cox services onto Tivos, but details about seeing the new channels on an old Tivo are pure speculation at this point.

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #8015 of 9259 Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Sounds about right - 30 to 50 new HD channels by end of 2011 as they have been announcing for the last several years with the completion of the EON project that effectively upgraded every bit of their nationwide and local networks to handle CATV frequencies to 1Ghz.
The Trio Guide Plus pack is an inclusive package that has about 30 (at launch and up to 50? soon after) additional HD channels, new multi-room hardware and IPG in a complete package. As I posted earlier, Cox is bullish in rolling this out to most of their footprint by the end of the year. There are no specific details about marketing, other than a single package of hardware and associated services. There have been press releases about Cox and Tivo and merging some of the Cox services onto Tivos, but details about seeing the new channels on an old Tivo are pure speculation at this point.

vegggas

Does that mean older (20 years) homes need new interior cable runs?
post #8016 of 9259 Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

Does that mean older (20 years) homes need new interior cable runs?

Every situation is different. Most modern coax cable is fine, but some cables have more roll off at higher frequencies than others that will result in the higher channels with less signal at the receiver for those channels, and too much signal for the lower channels. A bigger factor is the passive devices used in the home, such as splitters, connectors, etc. A potential big problem for homeowners will be situations where they bought some sort of house amp that is only rated to 750 or 860 Mhz and have a sharp rolloff after the stated spec. I've seen homes and situations where there is a 20 dB swing from the lower channels to the upper channels due to cabling and devices on the lines.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #8017 of 9259 Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

my bill is already sky high since my contract pricing expired..went up $50 month....I've got to scale back some of my programming. feel like they've raped me.
post #8018 of 9259 Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:

vegggas

How about HBO On Demand in HD? Is that even available anywhere?

Hask
post #8019 of 9259 Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post

Hask

As far as I know, HBO does not supply HBO On Demand content to anybody anymore. It was available a long time ago, but was removed by HBO for unknown reasons. Just to let you know, the majority of On Demand content is supplied and controlled by the originating provider through an automatic server that the content provider manages and controls. The Cable company usually has an agreement to offer the On Demand content, but that content is managed by the originator, in this case HBO.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #8020 of 9259 Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:

As far as I know, HBO does not supply HBO On Demand content to anybody anymore. It was available a long time ago, but was removed by HBO for unknown reasons. Just to let you know, the majority of On Demand content is supplied and controlled by the originating provider through an automatic server that the content provider manages and controls. The Cable company usually has an agreement to offer the On Demand content, but that content is managed by the originator, in this case HBO.

vegggas

I checked with a friend who lives in ZIP 91311 (L.A. area). She has AT&T Uverse and she says they have 7 different HBO channels in HD, with East and West coast feeds for each (channels 1802-1815). I double checked this on their web site and it is true, so obviously it is available.

Hask
post #8021 of 9259 Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked with a friend who lives in ZIP 91311 (L.A. area). She has AT&T Uverse and she says they have 7 different HBO channels in HD, with East and West coast feeds for each (channels 1802-1815). I double checked this on their web site and it is true, so obviously it is available.

Hask

Not sure what you are comparing? You specifically asked about HBO OnDemand,
Quote:

Hask

and that was what I responded about - HBO removed OnDemand HD from service providers. If you are NOW asking about the HBO suite of 15 varying programming channels, such as the ones we have currently in SD from 200 - 214, then that is a different conversation altogether. Cox does have HBOHD 1 & 2 right now in Las Vegas and used to have HBO WestHD but dropped that to add a different HD movie channel a while back. Is Cox going to add more HBO HD channels? - Probably. When? Probably with Trio and the Plus Pak channel launch later this year, but it has not been announced yet, so its all speculation.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #8022 of 9259 Old 11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Isn't the plus pack using MPEG4 AVC (H.264) as well? Cox can get away with putting more channels in at the same quality level per QAM.
post #8023 of 9259 Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Isn't the plus pack using MPEG4 AVC (H.264) as well? Cox can get away with putting more channels in at the same quality level per QAM.

I don't think so. I believe it will be Mpeg2 with the latest generation real time high end encoders out of the source feeds in Atlanta. Those feeds, which, from what I've seen in trade show product demos are comparable to mpeg4 encoders in quality and compression from just a few years ago. The feeds are all fed from Atlanta (with San Diego as a secondary backup) now and have to keep a consistent format so that all markets can use them. Mpeg4 may be in the near future, but has not been announced yet, so I don't know what equipment they may use.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #8024 of 9259 Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you are comparing? You specifically asked about HBO OnDemand,

and that was what I responded about - HBO removed OnDemand HD from service providers. If you are NOW asking about the HBO suite of 15 varying programming channels, such as the ones we have currently in SD from 200 - 214, then that is a different conversation altogether. Cox does have HBOHD 1 & 2 right now in Las Vegas and used to have HBO WestHD but dropped that to add a different HD movie channel a while back. Is Cox going to add more HBO HD channels? - Probably. When? Probably with Trio and the Plus Pak channel launch later this year, but it has not been announced yet, so its all speculation.

vegggas
Sorry I was unclear, I am talking about HBO HD On Demand, which is available on AT&T Uverse, at least in Southern California. Here is the list, for Zip Code 91311, copied and pasted directly from the AT&T Uverse web site. Obviously it is available.

Hask

1802 HBO HD HBO HD

1803 HBOHDW HBO HD - West

1804 HBO2HD HBO2 HD

1805 HBO2HW HBO2 HD - West

1806 HBOFHD HBO Family HD

1807 HBOFHW HBO Family HD - West

1808 HBOSHD HBO Signature HD

1809 HBOSHW HBO Signature HD - West

1810 HBOCHD HBO Comedy HD

1811 HBOCHW HBO Comedy HD - West

1812 HBOZHD HBO Zone HD

1813 HBOZHW HBO Zone HD - West

1814 HBOLHD HBO Latino HD

1815 HBOLHW HBO Latino HD - West
post #8025 of 9259 Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

I don't think so. I believe it will be Mpeg2 with the latest generation real time high end encoders out of the source feeds in Atlanta. Those feeds, which, from what I've seen in trade show product demos are comparable to mpeg4 encoders in quality and compression from just a few years ago. The feeds are all fed from Atlanta (with San Diego as a secondary backup) now and have to keep a consistent format so that all markets can use them. Mpeg4 may be in the near future, but has not been announced yet, so I don't know what equipment they may use.

vegggas

OK Thanks. I was curious - a while ago (2007?) a higher up at Cox said that the 850MHz+ range and MPEG4 work well together. Presumably because the cost of upgrading the plant to the full 1GHz range could be recouped by cramming more channels into those same 6MHz/30Mb/s blocks (say, 15 instead of 10-12 SD, and 4 instead of 3 HD).
post #8026 of 9259 Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I was unclear, I am talking about HBO HD On Demand, which is available on AT&T Uverse, at least in Southern California. Here is the list, for Zip Code 91311, copied and pasted directly from the AT&T Uverse web site. Obviously it is available.

Hask

1802 HBO HD HBO HD
1803 HBOHDW HBO HD - West
1804 HBO2HD HBO2 HD
1805 HBO2HW HBO2 HD - West
1806 HBOFHD HBO Family HD
1807 HBOFHW HBO Family HD - West
1808 HBOSHD HBO Signature HD
1809 HBOSHW HBO Signature HD - West
1810 HBOCHD HBO Comedy HD
1811 HBOCHW HBO Comedy HD - West
1812 HBOZHD HBO Zone HD
1813 HBOZHW HBO Zone HD - West
1814 HBOLHD HBO Latino HD
1815 HBOLHW HBO Latino HD - West

You don't show any On Demand in that list, only linear channels.
Again - You are saying two different things.
You are writing that you are asking about HBO On Demand HD, which is where you pick from a list of HBO shows from all of the HBO HD catalog. HBO removed the HD catalog source for On Demand about two years ago and there is no longer any HD On Demand, only SD On Demand from HBO.
You then list the seven linear HBO HD channels with a duplicated East and West coast feeds (they are not On Demand) From ATT Uverse. These are specific programming HBO HD channels with a 24 hour schedule, just like the original HBO. Cox has these same exact channels in SD from 200 - 214 to give you an idea of what those channels are.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #8027 of 9259 Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM

I got another lineup update from tivo and it deleted all the channels that were put in a few days ago. Maybe it was published early or something. Sorry if I raised anyones hopes.

post #8028 of 9259 Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Does anyone have an index of the bitrates that Cox uses on its HD channels? I would be very interested to see under the hood, so to speak, at the bitrates. It looks much better than dish network hd does.

Jason
post #8029 of 9259 Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of them are 3-packed into the 38Mb/s QAM channels with high-end encoders using VBR statmuxing techniques. Average bitrate would be about 12Mb/s. Dish Network's channels are 8 packed into 43Mb/s transponders using MPEG4, giving about 5Mb/s average. MPEG4 is somewhat less than twice as efficient as MPEG2, so there is going to be a noticeable advantage for Cox.
post #8030 of 9259 Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
KGNG adds another sub

Some months ago, the owner of KGNG mentioned that six subs was the probable maximum he wanted on the station. That has now been exceeded with the addition of VMAS on KGNG 47.7. First impression is that this is yet another Hispanic channel, but does include some Englaish language programming. The KGNG website does not yet reflect the addition of VMAS or 47.7, but does mention that KGNG is the first Las Vegas station with seven sub-channels.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #8031 of 9259 Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Las Vegas OTA broadcasters and their sub-channels total 48 (42 digital and 6 analog). And more are expected soon. Viewer cost: FREE

Cox limited basic cable has only 19 Las Vegas OTA broadcasters or sub-channels (40% of available total). Viewer cost: $16.99 monthly.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #8032 of 9259 Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Las Vegas OTA broadcasters and their sub-channels total 48 (42 digital and 6 analog). And more are expected soon. Viewer cost: FREE

Cox limited basic cable has only 19 Las Vegas OTA broadcasters or sub-channels (40% of available total). Viewer cost: $16.99 monthly.

The cost of not having to fiddle with an antenna: priceless

post #8033 of 9259 Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The cost of not having to fiddle with an antenna: priceless
Do you really want someone in Atlanta choosing what local Las Vegas channels you can watch? FREEdom of choice is priceless.

post #8034 of 9259 Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

cant live without HBO and Showtime...Boardwalk Empire and Dexter are hands down the two best series on TV bar none.
post #8035 of 9259 Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:

You don't show any On Demand in that list, only linear channels.
Again - You are saying two different things.
You are writing that you are asking about HBO On Demand HD, which is where you pick from a list of HBO shows from all of the HBO HD catalog. HBO removed the HD catalog source for On Demand about two years ago and there is no longer any HD On Demand, only SD On Demand from HBO.
You then list the seven linear HBO HD channels with a duplicated East and West coast feeds (they are not On Demand) From ATT Uverse. These are specific programming HBO HD channels with a 24 hour schedule, just like the original HBO. Cox has these same exact channels in SD from 200 - 214 to give you an idea of what those channels are.

vegggas

Sorry, I was just focusing on the 4 digit channel numbers and got confused.

Hask
post #8036 of 9259 Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
does cox offer us multi-stream cable cards yet?
post #8037 of 9259 Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

does cox offer us multi-stream cable cards yet?

They have for a long time. I've been using one for a few years now...
post #8038 of 9259 Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

happy thanksgiving everyone !

just as a reminder...free Starz programming on Cox Wed 11/24 to Sunday 11/28.
post #8039 of 9259 Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

happy thanksgiving everyone !

just as a reminder...free Starz programming on Cox Wed 11/24 to Sunday 11/28.

Now that's a nice Happy TG greeting! Thanks so much for reminding us!

Happy Turkey Day everyone!
post #8040 of 9259 Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

They have for a long time. I've been using one for a few years now...

talk to me goose!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page