Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #9151 of 9259 Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hay folks I need your help. I have been having trouble with signal break ups with my direct TV local channels.
When I view the satellite signal it is strong at 90. My local recording sometimes not always break up after 8: 00 PM
They break up on NBC channel 3 and CBS channel 8 Recordings during daytime hours are rock solid on these channels.
My question is are people in Las Vegas using direct TV Have the same issues?
Has the dropouts been more frequent since about November 1 St.
The tonight show and Saturday night live are a crap shoot often not viewable.
To make maters worse I changed to a Whole house DVR about the same time.
I need folks help to try and pin point the problem before calling Direct TV. Any help would be appreciated.
NOTE: Early on in the digital transition n Las Vegas the locals stations lowered signal power as a cost savings.
I know that the locals are spot uploaded to the satellites then beamed down so I am wondering if anyone else is see issues.

HDTV is clear get the picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9259 Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Waiting patiently for a signal on KVTE 35.1 now that they're licensed. It could be a long wait before that station lights their digital facilities, and with what programming source(s). Their analog transmitter has not, to my knowledge, been in the on position in many months.

I'm curious as to where you find your information about KVTE. The only filing they've had recently with the FCC is for a Silent STA last month, which they claim they should have filed last June, when the station "went off the air". (They've been off the air for several years now.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9153 of 9259 Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

I'm curious as to where you find your information about KVTE.)

It was posted on Rabbit Ears.info's FCC Updates about the 4th of this month. I don't find it now as I look back, but see some similar call letters. It may have been the same time that Rabbit Ears.info added KVTE to the market listings for Las Vegas.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9154 of 9259 Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If I had to guess, you may have seen KVTU-LP (Los Angeles) and mistaken it for KVTE-LP (Las Vegas). Easy enough of a mistake to make.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9155 of 9259 Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
CH3's digital is on actual CH2. It is a difficult channel to receive as it is very susceptible to interference. I have heard from more than one person that they can get all channels except for CH3. CH8.3 anyway I see breakup on occasion. Don't know if that is source, local transmission, or my roof top antenna. Last I knew Direct TV pulled locals from antennas and piped them up to their uplink facilities in Wyoming.
post #9156 of 9259 Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks OTA junky for your reply. Yep channels 3 and 8 are my problem. If direct tv uses antenna feeds the problems maybe local. Seems worse since November. I need Direct tv for the Sunday football ticket. I am really losing WAF Wife Acceptance Factor fast. I am sure cox get a fiber feed to its head end so they probably don't have issues. I use an attic antenna for my other TV's and getting all the locals was a cluster for me In North Las Vegas. I got the antenna pretty close on my OTA but move that antenna 1/2 inch and the struggle is on.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #9157 of 9259 Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 PM

jdallaire, Not a problem. As you know digital reception is a Pain in the A--. I have a UHF only antenna aimed at Mt. Potosi for CH18 out of Pahrump. I thought I had it peaked up. I then tried tvfool.com . I got under my mast with a compass and aimed it per their given heading. My signal went up quite a bit. Could be worth a shot with your attic antenna if you like to tinker.
In case you don't know, their are two mountain sites for Las Vegas. CH8 and CH3 are on opposing sites. TV fool will (should) give you separate magnetic headings for each of those stations. If you give your exact address and split the difference in headings, it might help.
post #9158 of 9259 Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

KVPX 28.1 is off-air Monday morning, leaving their viewers with just one avenue for watching Son Life Broadcasting. SBN continues to pump out wattage on KEGS 30.3.

KVPX 28.1 returned to air status by mid day Tuesday the 18th.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9159 of 9259 Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 PM

OK, so I didn't hang out long enough to watch a commercial break, but is Antenna TV gone from 3.3? Flipped by a couple of times. My shows weren't there. Looks like movies.
post #9160 of 9259 Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Junkie View Post

OK, so I didn't hang out long enough to watch a commercial break, but is Antenna TV gone from 3.3? Flipped by a couple of times. My shows weren't there. Looks like movies.

Antenna TV appears to still be on KSNV 3.3 Saturday morning.

post #9161 of 9259 Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Thanks RD! Maybe they changed their schedule. Their guide shows two of my favorite shows are gone from 6pm-8pm.
post #9162 of 9259 Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Junkie View Post

Thanks RD! Maybe they changed their schedule. Their guide shows two of my favorite shows are gone from 6pm-8pm.

I think they re-did their schedule recently. My local Antanna TV is not always on the national schedule, but I have seen the same thing happen recently.
post #9163 of 9259 Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

The over-the-air signal of KMCC 34.1 and 34.2 pulled another disappearing act Saturday, and remain hidden Sunday morning.

Saturday afternoon the automation system of Movies+ on KGNG 47.5 went to black after a commercial just before 5 pm, and stayed there until 6pm, resuming programming with T J Hooker.

KMCC was back to normal Tuesday morning.

post #9164 of 9259 Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Tuesday afternoon finds KBLR displaying to their rf frequencies, Telemundo on 40.3 and Exitos on 40.4. Their colorbard (psip SOI) is not broadcasting on either the rf 40.5 or usual display channel of 39.3.

Wednesday morning: KBLR coniues to display to their rf channels, 40.3 Telemundo, 40.4 Exitos, and back again is 40.5 for the beautiful colorbars. Program descriptions are missing from all three of their psips for each sub-channel.

By Wednesday early afternoon, KBLR was back displaying properly on 39.1 and 39.2. Program data is restored to the psip's. Lost in the shuffle is the colorbars, not showing up on either 39.3 or 40.5.

post #9165 of 9259 Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Escape and Grit may be coming to an over-the-air tv screen near you. Both new diginets are expected to launch this year. More here: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75288/two-new-diginets-to-launch-this-summer#.Uz2bCUlbv4s.facebook

And let's not forget the Sony GetTV network that's expoected to arrive in the Vegas Valley some time in the future. So where will these new diginets land? The area low power stations (LPTV) have lots of expansion potential for new sub-channles. But these three new diginets are looking for bigger fish. Locally, KVVU 5.3, KTNV 13.2, KINC 15.3, KVMY 21.3, and KBLR 39.3 are prime locations for a potential diginet wanting location, location, location.

Sometime prioir to 2016, I expect that Bounce on KGNG 47.3 will be lured away to a major local station that can provide greater signal reach than a LPTV station.

There's a long list of smaller diginets that may find a home here on the LPTV stations, provided they can cut a lucrative deal or pay the months air-me-for-a-fee contract. Some of these diginets have been here before, such as Cubana, Punch, Mega, Mexicanal, Untamed Sports, and others.

post #9166 of 9259 Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Friday evening KLSV 50.1 vanished taking down their service for Jewlery TV. Infomercials continue on 50.3. Are they perhaps gearing up for another Ultra HD demo broadcast for the National Association of Broadcasters Convention nest week?

KHMP 18.1 seems to be shooting blanks Saturday morning. Their bottom of the screen logo bug continues without programming.

KNBX 31.4 has modified their ID graphic. It now makes no reference to their former dual home on both 31.3 and 31.4. It has also added a very muted color moving graphic.

post #9167 of 9259 Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Whatever is left of KTUD-25, which shut down last year, is now part of Mako (KVPX-28, KEGS-30, KNBX-31). I had heard that the KTUD facilities on the peaks above Henderson had been stripped of their equipment. So what did Mako get from this deal? Just their license? Will Mako actually rebuild the station with an rf20 signal display to 25 as KTUD had done? Or did Mako buy the license for one of their existing local properties (better license or dial position, etc.)?

The National Association of Broadcasters begins their annual convention today at the Las Vegas Visitors and Convention Center. Anyone attending?

KHMP 18.1 resumed programming early Monday afternoon after taking the weekend off.

post #9168 of 9259 Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Monday evening HOT on KNBX 31.4 spent a long time stuck on their ID graphic, then over an hour in black. This morning they're back to normal.

Aviva on KGNG 47.2 went missing Monday evening, and remains absent Tuesday morning. They returned to service by Tuesday afternoon.

Titan Broadcast Managemt (no stations owned locally) has added The Works to 6 of their stations in some major cities. Titan is the launching pad for the network. http://www.theworksnetwork.com/ The Works now has been added to Phillidalephia, Chicago, New York, Los Angels, Boston, and San Francisco. Great potential for a Vegas station to add this new diginet. The above website may be for a same name overseas network and not the US network.

Jewelry TV, KLSV 50.1, remains silent. My hunch is that the network and the sub-channel will return next week.

post #9169 of 9259 Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

KBLR has re-ignited their 39.3 sub-channel. Now KBLR 39.3 offers us non-cable subscribers the programming of ION. The sub-channel was last programmed with colorbars that disappeared several days ago. Prior to that it was home to SOI, a short lived (in Vegas) Hispanic diginet.

Also this afternoon, Biltmore has re-instated their Jewelry TV service on 50.1. It was off air for about a week, presumably because of the National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas.

post #9170 of 9259 Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

From the rumor mill, I hear that Mako Broadcasting bought shuttered KTUD-25 for a mere $65,000. For that small price there couldn't be anything more than the station license. Hopefully Mako will build out the facility with new equipment and bring the Vegas Valley a few more networks presently missing. A new set of call letters seems likely for KTUD. Now that Mako has KTUD-25, KVPX-28, KEGS-30, and KNBX-31, there is plenty of additional bandwith for more reasonable programming.

post #9171 of 9259 Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The forever silent KVTE-LP 35 has filed for a STA at 101 Convention Center Drive to go digital. Will they really go on the air?
post #9172 of 9259 Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post

The forever silent KVTE-LP 35 has filed for a STA at 101 Convention Center Drive to go digital. Will they really go on the air?

KVTE has actually kept their progress quiet, yet I believe they will show up on the digital airwave this year. The ecnomy has improved quite a bit since their analog days.

The strong gusty winds of today may be to blame for THIS on KVCW 33.2 being off. It looks like a break in the sat reception chain to the transmitter. The wind may also be the culprit for KMCC 34.1 and 34.2 taking some time off this afternoon.

post #9173 of 9259 Old 04-13-2014, 02:14 PM

They did admit to the FCC that the FCC was never notified of their silent operation for over 9 months.

Silent Stations

Pursuant to Section 73.1740 of the Commission's rules, broadcast stations may remain silent for up to 10 days without Commission authority. If the station is or will be silent for up to 30 days, the Commission must be notified (by letter) that the station is silent. If the station will be or has been silent for more than 30 days, the licensee must request Special Temporary Authority (STA) to remain silent. However, the Commission can not grant an STA to remain silent unless the reason for the station's silence is beyond the control of the licensee. A request for an STA to remain silent may be either electronically filed or submitted in letter form. The request must be signed by an officer or director of the licensee. If the request is submitted in letter form, an anti-drug certification must be attached and signed by an officer or director of the licensee. There are no filing fees associated with a request for an STA to remain silent.

Silent STAs, at the staff's discretion, may be granted up to 180 days. If a station is or will be silent beyond the expiration of its STA, a request to extend the STA must be submitted at the time of expiration. The requirements for extension of an STA to remain silent are the same as the for the initial request. However, a licensee must explain in the extension request what efforts it has made to return the station to operation during the period of its STA and why an extension is needed. Stations may remain silent for no more than one year. The licenses of stations remaining silent for more than one year are considered by the Commission to have automatically expired as a matter of law pursuant to Section 312(g) of the Communications Act.

The staff maintains a list of stations that have been silent for at least 2 months. Be advised that the fact a station is silent does not automatically imply that the station is available for purchase from the licensee.

Please provide a justification for the request

Date Station has gone / will go silent: 06/06/2013 (mm/dd/yyyy)

I hereby certify that the statements in this application are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief, and are made in good faith. I acknowledge that all certifications and attached Exhibits are considered material representations.

Typed or Printed Name of Person Signing
NATHAN DRAGE Typed or Printed Title of Person Signing
PRESIDENT
Signature
Date (mm/dd/yyyy)
02/18/2014
WILLFUL FALSE STATEMENTS ON THIS FORM ARE PUNISHABLE BY FINE AND/OR IMPRISONMENT (U.S. CODE, TITLE 18, SECTION 1001), AND/OR REVOCATION OF ANY STATION LICENSE OR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT (U.S. CODE, TITLE 47, SECTION 312(a)(1)), AND/OR FORFEITURE (U.S. CODE, TITLE 47, SECTION 503).

Exhibits
Exhibit 1
Description: JUSTIFICATION

THE STATION IS SILENT DUE TO LOSS OF TRANSMITTER SITE. THIS REPORT WAS INADVERTENTLY NOT MADE EARLIER.
post #9174 of 9259 Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Our new ION affiliate, KBLR 39.3, could pump an additional 250kbps into the stream for an improved picture quality. Currenly the sub-channel seems to have a little too much motion pixelation even for my taste. That's a very small amount of bandwidth that should do little harm to the stellar quality of the main Telemundo service on 39.1 or Exitos on 39.2.

post #9175 of 9259 Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, KVTE-35 is plodding along towards bringing their station to the digital dial. They indicated their deal to place their transmitter stick downtown went south, and are now applying to locate it near West Charleston and Lindell. Meanwhile, KTUD-25 is being resurrected from the dead under steerage by Mako Broadcasting. And still meanwhile KGHD, who brought us that great Franken FM station on analog channel 6 last year, still intends to bring their station to digtal channel 38.

KGNG still has a construction permit for channel 26.

post #9176 of 9259 Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 PM

The KVTE application is on the roof of a one story store. I do not see a 36 ft tower on the site
post #9177 of 9259 Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Silent Saturday Strikes Again!

Down for the count for lack of service at nnonish today are KNBX 31.2 The Walk, and KGNG 47.8 The Walk simulcast of KNBX.

post #9178 of 9259 Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Yesterday morning I settled in to view a rare old western on KHMP 18.2 through their America One service. The flick was Sundown Saunders, which I've never viewed. Thirty five minutes into the movie, that feature breaks for a commercial block. When that completed the station cut away from the resumption of the movie and joined-in-progress programming of TUFF, the same as aired on their KHMP 18.4. Why? KHMP 18.2 remians feeding TUFF programming Tuesday morning. as it did all last evening. Yeah, I know that America-One is also found on KHMP 18.3, but I've noticed that it airs only the network commercials and not the local commercials of KHMP, or did at one time.

Beginning with the afternoon programming on KNBX 31.4 (HOT), and continuing throught the nighttime hours yesterday, the station spent a good deal of thime frozen on a picture, ID graphic, or in black. I really like the public domain programming aired by History of Television (HOT) on KNBX, but the constant technical glitches are not helping to attract viewers. Recently, the station changed their ID graphics, and reference to HOT is now missing, as they do not have logo bugs throughout the programs. In spite of the technical problems, we are lucky in Las Vegas to have the network service, as they only air in three other markets.

Such is life in the fast lane of Vegas over-the-air television.

post #9179 of 9259 Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Liked: 15
Indeed a dynamic TV market. Howard Hughes' ghost must be there. Lots of stories when he owned KLAS, he'd tell them to show some other movie instead of what was scheduled. Or, because he'd been asleep then it started, he'd have them break from the movie in progress and start it over again!
post #9180 of 9259 Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Sub 50.3 where are you? KLSV's 50.3 infomercials is quiet this Saturday morning. No PSIP, and no programming.

It returned by noon on Saturday.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page