1Likes

post #9241 of 9262 Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
KVPX-28 has gone into hiding Saturday.

The American Sports Network is beginning to show up on sub-channels ina few markets. This network has sports from various leagues undercovered by the likes of the major networks or ESPN. Here's the interesting fact. It is owned by Sinclair, who also own KVCW-33 and KVMY-21 Las Vegas. Could American Sports Network suddenly appear on either of these channels? The basic info I find suggests this is not (yet) a 24/7 diginet, but a delivery system for specific games to be carried on Sinclais existing channels and sub-channels.

Today, August 30th, is the first game day for the network, according to one source, and KVMY 21.1 is airing an American Sport Network game this afternoon at 4 o'clock.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.

Last edited by rdvegas; 08-30-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 9262 Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sinclair to Acquire KSNV Las Vegas For $120 Million

Grabs NBC; will sell a current Vegas TV license and air either CW or MNT as a multicast

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...million/133603
post #9243 of 9262 Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
Grabs NBC; will sell a current Vegas TV license and air either CW or MNT as a multicast

Like a vulture on roadkill.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9244 of 9262 Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Bad news, channel 3 has the BEST news ever. I was a big KTVU-Oakland fan back in the 80's and channel 3's news is just as good. I predict its demise as soon as sinclair takes over.

This is really sad.
Get ready for twisted propaganda from Channel 3 news.

Last edited by foghorn2; 09-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
post #9245 of 9262 Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
Like a vulture on roadkill.
So what does it mean for us, the consumers?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #9246 of 9262 Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
It's too soon for anyone to have all the answers. Sinclair mentioned they would have 2 stations, selling the 3rd one off, and possibly move the sub-channels from that 3rd to one of the remaining. KSNV-3, KVCW-33, and KVMY-21 each have a total of three channels, equalling a grand total of 9 streams. Is Sinclair thinking of placing all of these 9 on just the remaing 2 stations: such as 4 on channel 3 and 5 on cnhannel 33? That doesn't sound good. Or will Sinclair leave the sub-channels where they are currently, and only consolidate the dot one of the third station (CW or MNT) onto the remaining Sinclair stations.

Maybe Sinclair is thinking about a frequency swap between KSNV rf 2 and KVCW rf 29, or KVMY rf 22. Moving KSNV off of reception prone rf 2 does make some sense.

What will become of the emerging news channel lineup KSNV has been improving for some time? Sinclair is not known as a great newscast corporate owner. Remember those newscasts (term used lightly) a few years ago on KFBT-33 and KVWB-21 before each station switched their call letters. At that time Sinclair was a warmed over Fox Broadcasting news format in flavor that left a bad taste in many viewers mouth locally. What will become of the on-air talent at KSNV? Pink slipped, pay reduction, or promoted?

Who will buy the remaining channel? Perhaps Nexstar.

All of the chips are now in the air and have yet to fall where they may.

post #9247 of 9262 Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
What it may mean is instead of watching propaganda-less unbiased neutral news reporting, you will get the news presented from the pointed view of the lord, king, master who controls the channel.

Look up Sinclair's behavior in the past, its all over the net.
post #9248 of 9262 Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

After 7 days of hiding in the dark recesses of the television alley, KVPX-28 chose to return to broadcasting Saturday.

post #9249 of 9262 Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Sinclair, and their new American ports Network Saturday sports, is getting plenty of flack from viewers in various markets. Sinclair is pre-empting the programming of METV, Antenna TV, This, or whatever else Sinclair can to force feed their ASN games upon unwanting viewers. For us here in the Vegas Valley, we are thus far saved from losing a diginet's programming for these less than stellar games. The schools represented are virtually unknowns here. Did you see the football matchup Saturday between Westside Kindergarten Nappers and the Cordon Blu Knives?

post #9250 of 9262 Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I cannot find kvbc channel 3 using any ota antenna (attic/roof mount not possible ) on any tv in my house. I live in NW area. am I too far away from their broadcasting tower?

Last edited by gvc; 09-08-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #9251 of 9262 Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post
I cannot find kvbc channel 3 using any ota antenna (attic/roof mount not possible ) on any tv in my house. I live in NW area. am I too far away from their broadcasting tower?
First question to ask you, is your tv set to cable or antenna reception? Are you using a Low VHF antenna for channel 2 virtual channel 3 KSNV? Very few UHF antennas will work for KSNV if you are more than 20 miles distant from the transmitter on Black Mountian.

post #9252 of 9262 Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
First question to ask you, is your tv set to cable or antenna reception? Are you using a Low VHF antenna for channel 2 virtual channel 3 KSNV? Very few UHF antennas will work for KSNV if you are more than 20 miles distant from the transmitter on Black Mountian.
I had to switch to antenna input. I had been using cable as I was getting free local channels through cox until I had an internet problem and whatever he did at the street shut off any tv signal coming from the wall cable connection. Trying to dial in all locals has been frustrating because of the different signal strengths for the different stations depending on which way I point the tv antenna, but channel 3 is the only one that never tunes in.
post #9253 of 9262 Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

3 is difficult, I have to attenuate the signal to be able to pull it in, fine balance because if I attenuate too much, I will loose the 47.x channels. I'm in the ST. Rose area not too far and not too close with a bird looking OTA antenna on the exterior wall 2nd floor height.
post #9254 of 9262 Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I had to switch to antenna input. I had been using cable as I was getting free local channels through cox until I had an internet problem and whatever he did at the street shut off any tv signal coming from the wall cable connection.

The tech mostly likely put a trap on your line. It's supposed to be there when you only sub to internet and not TV, so he didn't do anything wrong or shady. It should have been there all along, but obviously wasn't. That's why you were able to pick up the locals via Cox's line and can't now.
post #9255 of 9262 Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
gvc
Advanced Member

I dont suppose Cox would have a special non-advertised tier that allows locals only over cable without having to get a box?
post #9256 of 9262 Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

The 15th of September finds KLSV 50.1 gone. That's the Jewelry TV service offered locally by Biltmore. It will probably pop back up soon. KLSV 50.3 continues away, as usual.

KHMP-18 continues with their silent treatment. That took down America One, AMG, and TUFF diginets here in the valley.

The build-out of the sub-channels on KEEN-17 continues in a holding pattern. At one time KEEN was offering 5 sub-channels, but has withered to just three.

KHDF-CD 19 continues to billboard "for lease" on their dot 2, 3, and 4 sub-channels. With only one taker during the years they have offered these sub-channels, one must think they are asking too much in return for the audience size. It must also be noted that some tuners are not currently able to tune to the sub-channels offered by KHDF for reasons of something within their PSIP.

Mysteries continue in the wake of the Sinclair takeover of KSNV and the announced sell-off of either KVCW-33 or KVMY-21. What will become of the services and sub-channels of the sold-off station? And why did the FCC allow Sinclair to grow to such a huge corporation when they have such a very lackluster reputation. Palm greasing, perhaps? Who, if anyone, has nibbled at the soon to be abandoned station? Las Vegas being a sizeable market should bring a few bidders.

Both KVTE-35 and KGHD-38 are fighting the FCC clock. Will they actually transmit someday?

And what about the rebirth of KTUD-25? Will their owner, Mako, rebuild the transmitter site and bring that station back on the air? If so, will they rebrand to erase connection with the bankrupt KTUD of last year?
foghorn2 likes this.

post #9257 of 9262 Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I dont suppose Cox would have a special non-advertised tier that allows locals only over cable without having to get a box?
COX offers a limited basic service with some of the local stations plus shopping channels. However, I believe it reuires a box for each connected tv. Because COX does not offer all local stations, I suggest calling Mr. Antenna and seeing what he suggests for your location. A one time charge might be better than paying COX an arm and a leg each month for limited service.

I dropped COX several years ago, and now receive over 60 channels of entertainment free with a roof-top antenna.

post #9258 of 9262 Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is a good hd setup box that I can get from Cox here in Vegas? Non dvr
post #9259 of 9262 Old 09-15-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post
What is a good hd setup box that I can get from Cox here in Vegas? Non dvr

I don't sub to COX for TV, but I'm going to assume that they probably only have one box to offer.
post #9260 of 9262 Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

This Thursday finds KMCC-34 not making it through the airwaves.

post #9261 of 9262 Old 09-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

KMCC's trio of channels remians blank this Sunday at my home. Anyone seeing their ota service in the Vegas Valley? Also related to KMCC, I received a note from that station that Weather Nation will not be added to their 34.3, as was announced 2 years ago, and reflected on the Weather Nation list of affiliates. What may seem strange, their own PSIP for 34.3 only started including Weather Nation program data several months ago. So does Cranbston have something up their sleeve to replace the simulcast of COOL? Or are we stuck with two streams of the same service on both 34.2 and 34.3?

KNBX 31.4, history of Television, has been sitting in black since Friday evening. KNBX 31.2 was showing an error warning alert much of Saturday evening, while their simulcast on KGNG 47.8 stayed with the normal program. Automation is so reliable at times. KHMP-18 had their own reliability issues in August, which took the station off air with a STA until fixes can be applied. KTUD-25, KVTE-35, and KGHD-38 also remian off air. Analog KGNG 47 remains broadcasting, counting down their days until the final FCC mandated analog shutdown on 1 September 2015.

post #9262 of 9262 Old Today, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

With so much available sub-channel space going unused in Las Vegas, we wait for our local broadcasters to get off their duffs and bring diginets like Grit, Escxape, Soul Of The South, Works, and even Weather Nation, among others, to our highly rated market. But wait, there's more! Weigel, those behind METV, launced a new sub-channel network called Hereos and Icons. Read this and tell me if you's like to see that network added to Las Vegas OTA signals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...html?track=rss

Watch them grow their affiliate base here: http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...roes+%26+Icons

Last edited by rdvegas; Today at 09:56 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page