Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 318 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #9511 of 9540 Old 03-20-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Escape will be added to KVVU 5.2 soon, according to the following article. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/8...0soG0.facebook

Not sure what will happen to Weather 24/7. It could move to 5.3, or disappear.

What, if anything, does this announcement have to do with Fox BUZZR launching soon on many Fox owned stations.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.

Last edited by rdvegas; 03-22-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9540 Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

For Las Vegas, Spring always seems to arrive earlier than in the rest of the nation. This Spring shapes up to be a very busy launch period for several diginets. Among them are LAFF, BUZZR, and DECADES. Other diginets, such as Escape, Grit, Heroes & Icons continue to hammer out affiliate contracts as they reach further and further into the heartland of the nation.

Looking at the sub-channel capacity and sub-channel availabilities in Las Vegas seems to indicate there is plenty of expansion room. KSNV-3, KLAS-8, KLVX-10, KVCW-33, and KBLR-39 seems to be tapped dry. It doesn't appear likely they will crowd another sub-channel onto their transmitters.

Those local stations that do have sufficient room for additional sub-channels are many. Full power KVVU will add Escape very soon to their 5.2, and then could mover their weather 24/7 service over to 5.3, or use that space for some other network. KTNV is sitting on their 13.2 presntly with an ABC SD feed, which is thought by some to be aplaceholder for the ABC LAFF network coming soon. KINC-15 could add a 15.3 once again if they find a network partner thatis a good match for themselves. KVMY-21 has plenty of room for additional subs; perhaps four. Dare I dream future home for Decades, Buzzr, Justice. I believe that full power KBLR-39 is maxxed, but could squeeze in a fourth feed from some needy network.

The LPTV stations are wide open for additional subs. KEEN-17 dropped back to just their main channel recently, thus making room for a potential 7 sebs. KHMP-18 could revitalize their signal by adding subs on the dot 2 through dot 8. KHDF-19 could replace their "for lease" signs on their subs for an additional 3 programmed channels. KLVD-23 could add subs on their dot 3 and dot4 easily. KELV-27 could pump up their services with the addition of networks on their dot2 and dot 3 without affecting their HD dot one feed. KVPX-28 has the potential of adding 7 additional subs ( or simulcasts of Swaggart). KEGS-30 might add a dot 7 and a dot 8. KNBX-31has potential for networks to be added to their dot5 through dot 8. K41IO-41 has the room, if not the ambition, to add subs to their dot 2 through dot 8. K43FO has room for one more sub-channel on their dot 8. And finally, KLSV-50 has potential to add subs to their .4 through dot 8.

Then there's the dark horses still in the digital game. Those are KVTE-35 and KGHD-38. Will they ever transmit a digital signal? When and what?

In a selfish way, I'd like to see KGNG flip the switch to their channel 26 transmitter and use the virtual display function to place 3 or 4 of the currently channel 48 subs on channel 26. That move would place a couple of respected diginets down nearer to the main body of high caliber programming, and away from the religious channels now associated with higher channel numbers (except for KBLR-39)

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9513 of 9540 Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Retro doesn't often add programs to their schedule, seemingly only informercials.. The next major event for the Luken network is the addition of Police Surgeon airing weeknights in two half hour back to back episodes from 7 - 8 pm on KGNG 47.4.

Estrellaon KSNV 3.2 must be lost. Al least Sinclair doesn't seem to know upon which channel Estrella broadcasts. Yesterday I spotted yet another station ID for the KSNV 3.2 sub-channel for Estrella point out that they air on KVCW 33.2. WRONG!

The pixelation issues on KVMY 21.1 and 21.2 seem to have resolved themselves.

KVCW 33.2 this morning during Cougar Town had plenty of issues. These issues were an anotomation system that didin't seem to know what should come next or what just aired. Because of the early hour, 4 am, I doubt there was more than one person in master control. And they were probably monitoring the other 7 sub-channels under Sincalirs thumb in Vegas.

The Las Vegas KMCC-34 5kw retransmitter seems to be still down. The only signal I sniff from Cranston must be from Dolan Springs, but is not sufficient to display a signal.

MiCasa remains missing from KGNG 47.2. MiCasa reappeared by primetime Wednesday evening.

The non-essential video of Coyote on KEGS 30.6 has been absent for several days.

Last edited by rdvegas; 03-25-2015 at 08:20 PM.
post #9514 of 9540 Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I've yet to discover anyone in the Vegas Valley that can receive KPVM-46 from Pahrump. There signal is puny, even for a LPTV station, pumping out 5kw only. Yet this small town station is attempting to do things well by providing 4 channels of entertainment. Their 46.1 Airs a local Pahrump newscast at 5 pm, and plenty of inexpensive to acquire programming for the majority of the dayparts. This includes an overnight dosage of Arts, which I assume to be Classic Arts Showcase.

Up the sub-channels on their dot 2, KPVK Airs THIS TV The dot 3 airs The Family Channel with their blend of inexpensive programming. KPVM 46.4 is home in Pahrump for DrTV, a relatively new diginet focused on health and fitness.

Even if KPVM were transmitting at max LPTV power, their signal could only reach a smattering of Vegas people. Therfore, my desire is for an existing Vegas station to retransmit 46.1, 46.3, and 46.4 into the Vegas Valley. The Vegas station would use the virtual channel designation of KPVM channel 46 assignment, thus keeping their identlity. The Vegas station and KPVM would share the expense burden of adding STL equipment to pump the signal to the Vegas transmit site. KPVM would benefit from a much wide audience and probable more advertising dollars, while the Vegas station could simply charge KPVM a fee for local carriage.

This seems like a good match up for Mako's KVPX-28, or Biltmore's KLSV-50.
foghorn2 likes this.

Last edited by rdvegas; 03-28-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #9515 of 9540 Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

KEGS 30.4 lost the video to Rev'n, and is presenting the network audio in a solo this weekend.

Sinclair, or their KSNV puppet, continues to anger viewers by pre-empting the great programming of GET TV with ASN sports broadcasts. I really don't have anything against the ASN games, only their placement on sub-channels not intended for sports. Locally, Sinclair and KSNV should not have games on 3.3. Let the movies flow from GET TV. They should pre-empt the minimal schedule of KVCW 33.1 and KVCW 33.2, until such time as Sinclair authorizes their Las Vegas O&O stations to launch a seperate sub-channel dedicated to their ASN games.

Yeah, Cranstons' three channels on KMCC are still absent in the Valley. Maybe Sinclair should work out a management agreement with Cranston. No, wait. That's two negatives working together.

post #9516 of 9540 Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Checking the Las Vegas Valley ota dial today, you'd probably be correct in assuming that the Fools are out one day early. Eleven of our sub-channels are non-functioning for various reasons. KHMP 18.2, 18.3, 18.4; KHDF 19.2, 19.3, 19.4; KEGS 30.4; KNBX 31.4; and KMCC 34.1, 34.2, 34.3 are all less than great examples of local television today. Where's the station owners and engineers?

Last edited by rdvegas; 03-31-2015 at 07:03 PM.
post #9517 of 9540 Old 04-03-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Another individual and myself have noticed that the aspect ratio seems to have changed on KTNV 13.3 Heros & Icons. It now seems that the user must manually adjust the setting from the default for a useable image.

Escape is set to launch soon on KVVU 5.2, according to Meredith. Escape has stated they transmit a 16x9 signal to their affiliates. However a number of complaints on thhe Escape Facebook page indicates that either the networ or the local affiliate is screwing with the aspect ratio. We'll have to wait and see what KVVU does to the transmitted signal from Escape, a station owned by Katz. Katz also owns GRIT, which is also receiving the same type of complaints about that networks' image.

Rev'n, KEGS 30.4, seems to still be an audion channel. Is it Mako's KEGS problem, or is the problem from Lucken? Other Rev'n affiliates are experie3nceing audio and video problems, as well.

Cranston's KMCC is still down. This appears to be the Vegas Valley on-channel repeater, and not whatever Cranston uses at Dolan Springs or in Laughlin. Cable viewers seem to be unaffected.
foghorn2 likes this.

post #9518 of 9540 Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
Escape is set to launch soon on KVVU 5.2, according to Meredith. Escape has stated they transmit a 16x9 signal to their affiliates. However a number of complaints on thhe Escape Facebook page indicates that either the networ or the local affiliate is screwing with the aspect ratio. We'll have to wait and see what KVVU does to the transmitted signal from Escape, a station owned by Katz. Katz also owns GRIT, which is also receiving the same type of complaints about that networks' image.
I live in Dallas, and the aspect ratios of Escape (on KUVN) and Grit (on KSTR) appear to be normal now. My local affiliates (both Univision O&Os) are airing the Katz nets (Bounce, Escape, and Grit) in their proper 4x3. For instance, 1.33:1 syndie prints of movies air in the proper 4x3 format as opposed to stretched widescreen in 4x3 letterbox (that's how Escape and Grit used to be; Bounce NEVER had that issue on the old and new Dallas affiliates).

dtv_junkie87
post #9519 of 9540 Old 04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
I live in Dallas, and the aspect ratios of Escape (on KUVN) and Grit (on KSTR) appear to be normal now. My local affiliates (both Univision O&Os) are airing the Katz nets (Bounce, Escape, and Grit) in their proper 4x3. For instance, 1.33:1 syndie prints of movies air in the proper 4x3 format as opposed to stretched widescreen in 4x3 letterbox (that's how Escape and Grit used to be; Bounce NEVER had that issue on the old and new Dallas affiliates).

dtv_junkie87

Thanks for your input.

post #9520 of 9540 Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The 2015 National Association of Broadcasters annual convention is under way at the Convention Center. You'd think that our Valley broadcasters would be pulling out all stops to look their best for all the big corporations and atendees in town. That doesn't seem to be the case, however. KMCC-34 is still hiding in the closet. KHMP-18 is still shooting blanks on three of their four sub-channels. KHDF-19 is still hawking their subs for lease on three of their four channels. KEGS-30 is still playing radio operator with their Luken feed of Rev'n on 30.4. But the thorn under our saddle is the lack of professionalism excersized by Sinclair in the operation of KVMY-21. Several weeks ago, pixelation started to appear at an alarming rate while attempting to view Antenna TV on 21.1 or COZI on 21.2. That is now their norm, it would seem. KVMY-21 operates on rf channel 2, the old location for KSNV-3 before the big Sinclair channel swap last Fall. That station seldom ever had a pixelation problem with their two SD subs or their HD NBC feed. So, what is the cause for the poor images on KVMY? Bandwidth, or the lack of proper bandwidth allocation to their two sub-channels? Without a working TSReader, I can't see their allocation. But it seems that Sinclair is starving the two subs they have, and sending a major amount of bandwidth to the unused null stockpile. But for what purposes? Are they secretly testing several subs prior to releasing them onto the general public. I don't think so.

post #9521 of 9540 Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

KHDF-19 (Una Vez Mas) is changing something this morning on their sub-channels. For several year their 19.2, 19.3, and 19.4 have not been tunable on many receivers. Today those subs have popped up on several of my tv's. Maybe they noticed that no one has called their phone number wanting to lease those channels. They essentially were advertising on a digital page not seen by hardly anyone, until today. Perhaps we'll se some actual programming on these subs soon.

Meanwhile, the Scripps merger with Journal Broadcast (KTNV) is supposed to be completed, yet their is no announcement that KTNV 13.2 will carry the ABC/SCripps LAFF diginet at next weeks national launch.

post #9522 of 9540 Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KHDF 19.1 is broadcasting in 720p HD but with stretched programming
post #9523 of 9540 Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 AM

Liked: 10
I get Cox cable without a cable box and was receiving COZI TV on 21.2 and Antenna TV on 21.1. This morning I received them fine, since at least 5 pm both channels are gone, I re-scanned with my TV and the channels are no longer there. Anyone have any idea if I will be able to get COZI and Antenna anymore?
post #9524 of 9540 Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 AM

Liked: 10
COZI and Antenna TV are back on 21.2 and 21.1 this morning after disappearing yesterday afternoon and evening.
post #9525 of 9540 Old 04-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
David, Good to see your 21.1-21.2 post. Same thing happened to me yesterday. Guess I need to re-scan again today and see what happens.
post #9526 of 9540 Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

As often as I check through the ota channels, I did not notice Antenna or COZI missing yesterday.

The "For lease" billboards have returned mid-Saturday to the three sub-channels of KHDF. Maybe their phones will light up now with calls from hopeful tenants.

Saturday is usually a good movie day for GET TV viewers. Not in Las Vegas, howevere. We were mistreated by Sinclair's ASN coverage preemption of GET for Women's Lacross. Really? I heard that Sinclair released on of the local station managers. That can't be a good sign of the direction Sinclair is taking with their local properties.

After some finger pointing as to whose to blame, the video has been restored to Rev'n on KEGS 30.4.

No audio or video on Coyote on KEGS 30.6.

Frozen image on HOT on KNBX 31.4.

Last edited by rdvegas; 04-11-2015 at 05:42 PM.
post #9527 of 9540 Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
rd, 21.1 and 21.2 were missing from Cox. I switched over to the rooftop to watch 21.1 last night.
post #9528 of 9540 Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The two near image sub-channels of Daystar's KLVD 23 are misssing Sunday morning.

Thanks, OTA junkie, for the clarification on the KVMY issue.

post #9529 of 9540 Old 04-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Greeting AVS Members
I'm no longer getting lower VHF in the Anthem Highlands area (South West Henderson). I'm going to replace the balun on my OTA antenna to see if that's the problem. I have read several posts on the internet about TV stations moving away from low VHF stations. Any truth to this? Appreciate your feedback.
post #9530 of 9540 Old 04-12-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Greeting AVS Members
I'm no longer getting lower VHF in the Anthem Highlands area (South West Henderson). I'm going to replace the balun on my OTA antenna to see if that's the problem. I have read several posts on the internet about TV stations moving away from low VHF stations. Any truth to this? Appreciate your feedback.
The only Low VHF station in the Vegas Valley is KVMY rf channel 2, or virtual display channel 21. This is the former rf channel of KSNV, which moved to UHF this past Fall.

post #9531 of 9540 Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

A tip from Cigar Time Ron told me that KNBX has activated a 31.5 sub-channel. No programming yet, but their PSIP indicates "FamCh". We'll be checking them frequently for programming.

Colorbars were added late Sunday evening. No audio tone yet.

Last edited by rdvegas; 04-13-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #9532 of 9540 Old 04-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
The only Low VHF station in the Vegas Valley is KVMY rf channel 2, or virtual display channel 21. This is the former rf channel of KSNV, which moved to UHF this past Fall.
What about 3.1 NBC and 5.1 FOX?
post #9533 of 9540 Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KSNV is on RF 22, KVVU is on RF 9.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9534 of 9540 Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KSNV is on RF 22, KVVU is on RF 9.

- Trip
Thanks Trip
RF is the old station designation isn't it? In other words that's the station number if you are using an older TV. I have a modern TV
post #9535 of 9540 Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

RF means the channel the station is transmitted on. So KVVU is transmitting on channel 9, but your TV scans it in and displays it to you as 5-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9536 of 9540 Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Almavision, on KEGS 30.2, is locked up ona DISH Network "no programming authorized" graphic. Coyote FM country music on KEGS 30.6 lost their video days ago, then more recently lost the audio. The force behind this Coyote simulcast stated from the beginning that the service was a test. Maybe the test has completed. Cranstons KMCC-34 is still without a Vegas Valley signal on their three subs. Perhaps all the NAB attendees won't notice our lack of professionalism.

KLVD-23 Daystar returned to air MondaY after taking the Sabbath off.

LAFF, the comedy network from the team of ABC and Scripps is set to launch nationally this Wednesday. The network has about 30 affiliates lined up, but our Las Vegas Scripps/Journal KTNV-13 is still missing from that list. May 26 is the national launch date for the new CBS Decades network, but again, no local Vegas affiliate has been mentionewd. Another 2015 diginet launch is on the horizon for Fox Buzzr, a game show network. Yet again, no local affiliate has surfaced. Perhaps Vegas viewers should be happy that we did snag an affiliation with IQRA on KEGS 30.5.

Biltmore's KLSV-50 is sporting new PSIP identifiers for their three channels today.

Last edited by rdvegas; 04-14-2015 at 08:05 AM.
post #9537 of 9540 Old 04-15-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
RF means the channel the station is transmitted on. So KVVU is transmitting on channel 9, but your TV scans it in and displays it to you as 5-1.

- Trip
Thanks for posting Trip, it's appreciated
post #9538 of 9540 Old 04-16-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a great expeerience Wednesday attending the National Association of Broadcasters Convention here in Las Vegas. Later I caught up with a local and four out-of-towners all in the tv biz. TV talk, food, and laughs. We needed Trip Erickson in attendance to keep us on track, however.

Yes, MiCasa 47.2 and PBJ 47.6 seem to be down for the day.

Last edited by rdvegas; 04-16-2015 at 04:46 PM.
post #9539 of 9540 Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Haha, sorry I couldn't make it. The FCC sent a group to NAB but I was not among them.

I'll make it out there again one day!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9540 of 9540 Unread Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

It has now been one month since Cranston's KMCC sputtered to a stop in Las Vegas on their channel 34 repeater above Henderson. The three sub-channels have not been viewable in the Valley during that time. KGNG-47 seems to have some kind of issues with MiCasa on 47.2 and PBJ on 47.6. All of their other subs seem to be purring along well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page