Las Vegas, NV - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I'm saying is the SA3100HD when KTNV switches from the network feed which is in DD5.1 to the local commercials (the 14X9 picture and DD2.0) the picture would go black after a couple of seconds and no sound. I would have to do a channel change up and down to get the picture back. Then when they would switch back to the network feed I would have to do the same thing. Am I the only on experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 08:40 AM

During SuperBowl the first half came in terrific in HD. Then it started to break up every couple of minutes. Had to go to regular channel to watch the second half. Later I checked when Alien came on and it seemed to be OK again. Using a Hughes E86 and OTA antenna. Anyone else experience this? Embarrasing because I had a few people in to watch in HD. They weren't impressed!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lvthunder
What I'm saying is the SA3100HD when KTNV switches from the network feed which is in DD5.1 to the local commercials (the 14X9 picture and DD2.0) the picture would go black after a couple of seconds and no sound. I would have to do a channel change up and down to get the picture back. Then when they would switch back to the network feed I would have to do the same thing. Am I the only on experiencing this?

I experienced the exact same thing. Anyone know what causes this? Is this an inherent problem of the SA3100HD box?

Anyway, I thought ABC did a fair presentation of the Superbowl in HD. The picture was good, but I thought the audio-sync was a little off, especially at the start of the game. It didn't look like they filmed the game differently to take advantage of HD (which, of course, they couldn't). I would have liked to have seen them zoom out a little to show more of the field. Still, a good watch, and a good game (if you're not rooting for the Raiders, which my wife was).
Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by bcoombs
I experienced the exact same thing. Anyone know what causes this? Is this an inherent problem of the SA3100HD box?

Something happened to me during Alias last night (I am using the SA3100HD). It would go black and I would have to change the station and come back for it to "correct". I originally thought that the digital station when out and starting watching Alias on the regular station and then when I went back to the digitial station it was back on.

I was watching the Super Bowl at a friends house OTA and the dialogue did always match the picture. Particuarly when Al and Madden were speaking in the particular shot.

All in all it was great however. I love sports in HD!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

KTNV seemed to have some problems with the transmitters during the game. The signal dropping out and then the changing signal formats were causing problems for all local users using both OTA and cable. When that much data is being sent, and then it gets corrupted like it was doing all night, the end devices usually need a reset to get the stream synced up again. I heard from a user with just a digital TV tuner, that the same thing was happening to him too.
Nothing like a"trial by fire" HD release from our local affiliate
Hope it gets better soon, cause when it looked good, it looked really good.

vegggas
Old 01-28-2003, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think they did a good job with what they had to work with. From my understanding the audio sync problems were country wide so it wasn't KTNV screwing it up. I only problem I had was when they switched to the local commercials. I had the same problem with Mission Impossible on Saturday. I think if they could send 5.1 with the local commercials it will fix some of the problems. Even if they only use two of the channels. I'm not sure if that's possible though.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:36 AM

Does anyone know if the new boxes that may hit the streets soon (Pioneer?) would have the same problems? If it's a problem switching audio modes, it would seem like it could be fixed somehow.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'll start a thread in the hardware section and ask people in other markets if this is happening to them.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:16 PM

Great idea.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The basic premise for digital transmission is that the receiving mechanism will lock onto a digital stream and not vary from that signal type. If the digital signal changes, very few, if any, pieces of consumer equipment will automatically renegotiate the handshake for a different protocol. If you watch a station that never changes its formats, like Discovery HD, then there will be no blackout problems. However, the current 3100 box does suffer from the audio dropout bug that leaves the picture without a digital audio output, but it's not related to the complete blackout issue we saw on Sunday.
Will the new Pioneer boxes fix this??? Since the same symptoms were seen on many different types of hardware and signal transmission types, it is not probable, but we can always hope.
lvthunder, if you do start a thread about hardware, please provide a link here. I don't always check the other parts of the forum since I've subscribed to this thread and can pick up my email links from anywhere and view them remotely.
thanks
vegggas
Old 01-28-2003, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that ABC is done (although there are some bugs), what is next for Cox? HDNET, NBC, FOX (480p is better than 480i)?

Does anyone know?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11
My hope would be NBC.

I just played catch up on the thread. I'm not a big football fan, but I enjoyed just watching ABC/KTNV roll out HD. My roommate, who is a big fan but not much of a TVhead commented that ABC finally give CBS a run for the money.

I am very excited about the Pioneer box. I'm sorry I missed this at CES. I can't wait to get rid of the SA box. I was seriously considering a JVC D-Theater deck to record, but the lack of a DVI port on my TV kind of kills that idea. Too bad it doesn't have component out as well.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2003, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tallen234
Now that ABC is done (although there are some bugs), what is next for Cox? HDNET, NBC, FOX (480p is better than 480i)?

Does anyone know?

Actually COX has nothing to do with ABC, NBC, FOX, or any other local HD channels. They just pass through whatever is given to them from the local station. NBC has been "repairing" and waiting on one more part for several months now... Their channel was allocated and is in the lineup, but just not seen with standard boxes. ABC was actually added to the lineup a long time ago and then taken away from the lineup because their feed was really bad. They were reinserted again during the Nov 15th realignment, and last week the station started broadcasting real HD content. As far as FOX is concerned, I think they are playing the waiting game. Some of the other local channels have not signed retransmit agremments with COX, so they can't be retransmitted in theri digital format (even though most are all still very poor and none are HD yet)
I heard that a few studios will be sending out more HD only channels soon via their Sat feeds to operators. Some big names like ESPN (EXPN?) HD extreme, Hallmark and Lifetime are almost ready to get picked up. A few rumors were heard about HDNET, and another one or two movie channels is possible. Once those are available, it all depends on if the local COX operator actually is going to pay to carry those channels. As far as I know, currently Las Vegas has all of the HD channels that are available that do not have an exclusive contract with a dish provider or a retransmit agreemnet that has not been finalized.
My speculation is that we may also see some of the "Super Stations" go HD soon. Stations like WGN and TNT could send HD feeds, especially when they offer their local sports programming. Also, an HD PPV channel would be nice, but I don't think the provider (IN DEMAND) offers this yet.
The only KNOWN thing locally for COX right now is the EOD rollout that is for instant PPV programming that enables VCR functionality to your purchase. Henderson is already working and has been in testing for a few months.

Vegggas
Old 02-01-2003, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually HDNet movies could be picked up by Cox if they wanted to. There is no exclusivity with that one.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey vegggas,

Any word on Cox beta testing the new HD PVR? or any PVR for that matter.....
Old 02-06-2003, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

No news on hardware PVR yet, just Entertainment On Demand - PVR style control of choice movies and shows.
No news on HDNET yet - Hmmm, doesn't their sat exclusivity end March 31st and then Charter starts their cable broadcast soon after???

Here's some news...

Wait for it...

Watch this weekend...

Be sure to surf through ALL of your channels in the 700's

vegggas
Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 AM

The suspense is terrible . . . I hope it'll last.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

What a tease!

You would think that if Charter gets HDnet, then Cox should follow...
Old 02-07-2003, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Update on PVR - Cox in Gainesville Florida have started using the SA8000 digital PVR as a full release product - More markets to follow during 2003. Hopefully the market responds well and it will hit other markets soon. Still no news on HD PVR testing.
In Demand PPV announced HD PPV starting in April with "Big Fat Greek Wedding", "Road to Perdition" and the "The Tuxedo" as first HD PPV releases. No confirmation if Vegas will have that HD service, but everything looks good and they do use In Demand as their PPV provider.
HDNET - When Charter actually begins broadcasting, Cox might also work out a nationwide deal. Following the past performance of Cox and HD, they just happen to throw stuff out there without a lot of fanfare or advanced notice. Suddenly a channel appears where there used to be nothing. Same scenario applies to other channels coming soon (real soon?). Seems like Cox doesn't want to announce something they can't backup, so they just remain quiet and see what happens (Less Talk, More Action?).
No matter what - Things are looking brighter over the next few months!

vegggas
Old 02-07-2003, 10:52 PM

Anyone getting ABC digital over the air? Is 3-1 supposed to be on ch2?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:06 PM

basic,
There are three OTA HD stations in LV.
ABC KTNV-DT ch 13-01
CBS KLAS-DT ch 8-01
PBS KLVX-DT ch 11-01

Hopefully channel 3 will decide to join the HD crowd.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

So,
Does everyone like the HD NBA channel or what? No one else has posted yet, so I guess I will start things off.

Looks great at my house!

vegggas
Old 02-08-2003, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveRS
basic,
There are three OTA HD stations in LV.
ABC KTNV-DT ch 13-01
CBS KLAS-DT ch 8-01
PBS KLVX-DT ch 11-01

Hopefully channel 3 will decide to join the HD crowd.

Sadly, the last I heard is that they (NBC channel 3) are only going to be broadcasting Standard Def 480i for the forseeable future. It also appears that FOX is doing just 480i too, not their widescreen format or whatever it's called. As far as all other local channels, nobody has stepped up with HD content other than the three listed above in StevRS' post and none seem to be willing to make the leap right now. It's been rumored that Cox has no plans to carry the digital versions of a local channels if there is no benefit in signal other than just to have a digital signal (i.e. no HD, no carry). They usually get direct analog feeds from them that look great, but the digital signals suffer from upconversion and reliability issues. We will have to hope Cox gets more national HD feeds while the local stations sit around and play the waiting game.

vegggas
Old 02-08-2003, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I missed it. Is the channel there for good or was it just for the all star game.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

lvthunder,

The game tonight will be in HD. Last night's slam dunk and three-point contest looked very nice.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

lvthunder,
You should be able to see the test bars right now, and the game starts again tonight at 5:00PM, possibly much earlier for content. I missed the first half last last night because I was out. As far as how long it lasts, it may just be for this weekend - for now. This was a TNT HD special event partnered with In Demand PPV (free view). What I, and many others, are hoping is that TNT goes HD all the way very soon. These are TNT cameras and they do sporting events and other programming. If they lease more sattelite space to transmit HD, then we have a new channel!
Also, since we saw In Demand's HD PPV feed, we should be able to get the HD PPV channel when it debuts next month.

vegggas
Old 02-09-2003, 05:28 PM

Vegggas

Thanks for all the info. I saw a glimpse of the all star hoopla last night...looked good. I'll check out the game tonight.

I'm hoping like heck that Cox picks up ESPN-HD. Sports in HD is a match made in heaven!

-jb
Old 02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's after 5:00 and the game is on! Channel 735 in HD!

About ESPN HD that has been the rumor for a long time. I think that it will be distributed by everyone, so as soon as it is available, it should be here.

vegggas
Old 02-09-2003, 08:08 PM

I spoke to the Fox engineer a coupld of weeks ago and he said that they will only do 480i until Fox forces them to do 480p. He said that ALL Fox stations doing digital are supposed to do 480i AND 480p. He said until they hear from Fox they will not do 480p for the next 18-24 months.

Does anyone know the contact number or address for Fox so we can tell them about KVVU?

Toby