AVS Forum banner

Las Vegas, NV - HDTV

1M views 12K replies 445 participants last post by  cpwjgeiger 
#1 ·
I know, I know...We have many active threads about the area, but I just figured it would be nice to start a monthly thread. Anyways, here are a few things I think are worth additional input/discussion:

1. Status of local OTA live dates

2. Cox Cable and HD

3. Recent addition of local channels to the directv line-up

4. Antenna reception in different parts of the valley

5. Amount of Las Vegas AVSForum HDTV Members?

So, anyways, here goes nothing....

Trevor_2k

See less See more
#3 ·
I normally don't even attempt to watch ch 13 just because it bothers me so much that a station would think that a zoomed analog image made to fill the screen (almost) would be satisfactory.

Monday night, while one of my favorite movies of all time is playing in HD everywhere else in the country, I decided to give 13 a try. 13-1 is an analog 14:9 zoomed image but they got the sound okay. 13-2 was full screen 16:9 but it was a stretched analog image as well without the DD audio. Well, at least it was the first time I saw a picture on 13-2, but it still irked me that I can't enjoy the wonderful (although sporadic) programming that abc offers in HD. When are they going to get it together???

Trevor_2k

#4 ·
When I watch 13.2 it isn't zoomed. It's just a 4:3. I haven't checked recently but most of the time I don't get a picture on 13.1. I just get sound. The only time I got a picture was the first day they were on the air. After that just the sound. Channel 13 said it would be a couple of months before they are able to send out an HD signal. They must be missing a piece of equipment.

#7 ·
So in Vegas OTA we have ABC (12), PBS (11), and CBS (7)... is that it for now? The TitanTV schedule includes a line for channel 40, KBLR-DT, a Spanish station. Is it on the air?

Most of the HDTV schedules don't mention it, but at 8 pm today (Sunday), there should be a HDTV broadcast of Nature on PBS.

ABC works fine for me, such as it is. I get a horizontally stretched picture on 12-1, and a 4:3 picture on 12-2, with sound on all subchannels though louder on 12-2. I use an accessDTV card in my PC. There is never any real HD on ABC Vegas, right?

#8 ·
Ok, from another Vegas person thinking about D* v. Cox Cable.

I heard a rumor that on a News report on Channel 13, Cox Cable was testing their HDTV box in Vegas. Any word on when Cox will switch to HDTV? Or would it be worthwhile to buy D* for a year and then decide whether or not to switch back to Cox.

Thanks,

Tim

#11 ·
On the HD FAQ page on their website, Cox says:

Quote:
Cox will offer your local programming. Cox plans to offer the high-definition signals of your local network broadcasters such as NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. Satellite providers send one set of signals to all of their customers across the nation. This is a drawback because they can only carry so many signals due to bandwidth limitations. In order to watch local network affiliates like NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc., some satellite customers may have to switch from their dish to an antenna, or otherwise watch the network broadcasts from a different region.

Cox could have said that more forcefully, like so:

Even if it's impossible for you to receive local stations over the air in your location, such as in the shadow of Black Mountain, your friendly local Vegas stations will deny your petitions for waivers, so you will NOT be able to receive the single national feeds, whether SD or HD, from your satellite company. MOOHOOOHOOOOHOOHOHAHAHAHA. Those who cannot receive some or all of the broadcast networks over the air must buy their service from Cox (or black market Canadian satellite) or go without those channels.

The Cox box will output 1080i. You can't even record the local HD stations (using PC cards like HiPix now or HD PVR's in the future) without being able to get 8vsb. Do you think there's any chance a 8vsb line will be left exposed inside the box?

#13 ·
I Just got a response to my email to Cox:

Thank you for contacting us. HDTV will be available on selected channels on July 1, 2002. The HDTV converter will be an enhanced version of the digital converter and will cost $10 monthly to rent. We have not been informed of a waiting list. From what we know the service will be available to all interested. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact customer service at 702.383.4000. Thank you for your time.

#15 ·
Hmmm, it occurs to me that someone could get into HDTV for the first time with a very minimal investment using Cox, which is what they claimed. A 21" CRT computer monitor ($550), a component to RGB converter ($100ish), and a Cox HD subscription would be all that's necessary for the video, and then for sound maybe a home-theater-in-a-box ($600ish.)

#16 ·
Yeah, it appears that the cable route will be cheaper upfront as you do not have the purchase the STB. Even if Cox charges $10 a month rental for the box you would have to have the box for 4 years or so before it will begin to look silly. Also, if there are any upgrades or such, you can just get a new box from Cox. Particularly, if they are going to be using the Explorer 8000 with HD!

#18 ·
ok everyone, its official, cox is now offering HD in vegas. Heres the deal. if you already subscribe to digital cable with the movie channels then they will swap out one of your digital boxes for $50 for the install and you do not have to pay any additional monthly charges. however, if you want discovery HD channels then it is an extra $5 a month. now if you dont have digital, i believe to get the HD box it will be an extra $10 a month along with the $50 install charge. im kinda upset by the fact that its a $50 charge just to swap out my current digital box for the new HD box. they stated that its a technical install that will take over an hour to get set-up. i thought all that would need to be done is just pluging in the component cables and youre off. well see what happens. im getting my install done on monday.

#24 ·
Hey Vegas Folks, thanks for the info about OTA in your city. Am coming there for a small geek convention in August and was thinking about showing my colleagues HiDef - if I packed up my PC (which I could use for my presentations anyway) and also brought my LT150, I'd be able to setup just about anywhere. Will be in the Orleans (and some banquet rooms) for our meetings - I guess the Cox stuff is out, but I'd bring along the trusty RS DBT and hopefully can tune in the OTA stuff just fine.

Does anyone there have a D-VHS they could bring over to watch a World Cup match? I should have a match available and in-hand by then.

#25 ·
I have a JVC HM-HD-30000U HD D-VHS VCR with a D-Theater tape (X-Men, with T2 and U-571 on the way.) I also have a HTPC with HDTV card (and firewire card), but I would be less willing to bring it since I would probably miss some scheduled recordings.

#26 ·
Whats with channel 13 these days? I have tried to watch some content but I can't get a proper signal at all. Before I could get their analog signals on 13-1 and 13-2, now nothing. Channel 8 is broadcast from the same spot and I can pick them up fine...Anybody have any ideas?

Trevor_2k