WKYT CBS Lexington signal in Louisville? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to get WKYT (CBS Lexington) in the Louisville area, specifically Prospect, off an outdoor antenna? If so, what are the best antennas/setup to make this possible? I think the tower is about 75 miles from my home.
I've used an indoor antenna that brought in pretty much all of the local Louisville channels fairly well.
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Ok ... not sure why this needed to have two new threads started but here's my take.

1) It may be possible, but ...

2) WKYT is on ch36 (UHF) and the official service contour crosses "line of sight" ~10-15 miles from Prospect.

3) WKRC (Cincy) in on ch12 (VHF) and the official service contour crosses "line of sight" ~ 20 to 25 miles from Prospect.

That being said, over the years, I've had very good luck doing what you hope for in reverse (pulling in WLKY from the fringe,) but I suspect that I got a bit lucky terrain-wise ... and I'm a wee bit closer to the contour ... and I don't have a lot of urban sprawl nearby.

In short, all you can do is try ... I'd recommend an 8-bay UHF antenna + Preamp for a WKYT attempt, or a VHF-hi yagi for WKRC ... Either way, It's a toss up, and I would expect atmospheric conditions to play a large role. ... If you were a bit farther out in the boonies ...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
At 75 miles it may be possible with a 91XG UHF antenna and good low noise preamp such as Kitztech 200. And there is a lower priced version of this antenna from Solid Signal for $49. But it also depends on how that station transmits their signal regarding power level and directional pattern.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

At 75 miles it may be possible with a 91XG UHF antenna.

A fair choice ... I've been out of the antenna buying racket for too long, everything looks like it pretty much gone to heck since the demise of "the real" Channel Master co.

Anyway ... for WKYT (and other Lex stations) from Prospect, KY its looks like a toss up between the 91XG and the Winegard HD8800. On paper, the 91XG is clearly the better choice above RF Ch36, the HD8800 would be better below RF Ch36. These two antennas seem to be pretty much equal @ Ch36. The 91XG might have a slight edge. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any other antennas, especially at the current prices eek.gif ... viewer's choice.

BTW: For reference, the Lexington stations are on RF 42(KET), 40(WTVQ/ABC), 39(WLEX/NBC), 36(WKYT/CBS/CW), and 31(WDKY/FOX.)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page