DTV reception in high RF environment - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just meant that a channel-specific yagi would have less sensitivity on other channels, which would help prevent overload. Most of the "gain" would be on or near the specific channel.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I just meant that a channel-specific yagi would have less sensitivity on other channels, which would help prevent overload. Most of the "gain" would be on or near the specific channel.

Since his biggest hurdle is receiving the desired adjacent channels to the powerful local one, how much difference in reception would reasonably be expected between them and the desired channel? Would it be any more than a few fractions of a dB, even for channel-cut Yagi?

A channel-cut Yagi for 7 would drop off in channel 8, however a channel-cut Yagi for channel 9 would still receive 8 almost as well, would it not?

Is this a dead horse that's still getting kicked around?
post #33 of 35 Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wasn't really thinking about adjacent channels when I wrote that.....more about overload in general.
I seem to remember thinking about the channel-cut yagi as the "deletion antenna" (for want of a better term), or the "opposing" channel antenna, which would point at the stronger station, and be mixed back in, out-of-phase, to try and lower the too-strong signal.

This stuff gets pretty complicated. Sometimes the fix is just too expensive.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #34 of 35 Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 73
lol... Might be cheaper for the OP to just pack up and move 40-50 miles north and buy a place on a hilltop with a good view in both directions.
post #35 of 35 Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, what can I say about the fickle finger of TV reception. Thanks to everyone for the input on tropo-ducting. Since the weather cooled and for several weeks now I have been able to watch RF32, Fox 31 from Denver on a fairly regular basis. We get to see Denver news which is a treat to see a major market production. At other times RF34, Ch2 has come in as well but on a less regular basis. In spite of local Ch 8 I did get a lock on 7.4 but never saw any video. The other TV channels that came in briefly were Ch 6 PBS and Ch 20. Thanks to everyone that offered input for this project. I'm a ham and it's been fun just to see what I could put together to get some reception from Denver in spite of a bad location. It's the thrill of the hunt. 73s!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page