Best indoor antenna for UHF and Hi VHF? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to AVS (and to OTA) and could use some help in selecting an indoor antenna. I live in a multistory condo so an outside antenna is not an option. We live on the ground (not basement) floor. Our TV is in the living room in the Northeast corner of the room (but its not the Northeast corner of the building). There are windows facing North and West in the Northwest corner of the room, though it looks like the main towers are about 28 miles away to the Northeast. Here are my tvfool results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae0fdf9c3593

It seems most of the channels we want are UHF but two channels we want (ABC and FOX) are Hi VHF. We have an old analog television for now but hope to save money from cutting the cable cord in order to buy an HDTV down the road. We have a Roku box but still would like OTA for some live broadcasts. We may buy a used TiVo HD off eBay to record the broadcasts.

I've heard good things about Mohu Leaf but am concerned it won't pick up the VHF. I'm also wondering if there's a way to position the antenna so it works well but we don't have a lot of cable strung up in the room. Would love your advice on which antenna to get--thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I would go to Costco and try the amplified Winegard Flatwave instead of the Mohu Leaf. It is more reasonably priced at $48 and may possibly perform better on HiVHF. Easy to return. But the similar Mohu Leaf Ultimate is sold at Walmart for $79. But even better I would try the Terk HDTVa from HHG or Fry's. It has rabbit ears which will work better for HiVHF, as well as a good UHF element also.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the info. Just a few questions....

--I will definitely check out the amplified Winegard at Costco...from what I can tell on the Winegard website, it looks like the latest amped flatwave model is the 5500A--is that the one you mean? (I think Costco calls it the 5500C.)

--If that doesn't work, is there a reason you suggest the Terk HDTVa from Fry's or HHG, vs. Amazon? I only ask because I can't seem to find it on those sites, Amazon is selling it for about $37, and I'm a Prime member so get free 2-day shipping (at least from them to me).

--Finally, I think the Leaf or Flatwave or omnidirectional, and the Terk HDTVa is directional....it looks like all the channels I want are coming from one direction which could make a directional work without constant fiddling. I just wonder about how to place something a little bulkier like that if it doesn't work well sitting on top of my TV. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the help.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the Terk HDTVa will definitely be cheaper to purchase from Amazon, especially with free shipping. I think it may work better for the HiVHF because it has the rabbit ears which are designed for that. Those flat antennas are mainly optimized for UHF. But the Costco version of the Winegard is the same Flatwave amplified design, but better price. And I would not place the antenna near the TV because it is subject to interference. Add an extension coax cable with a barrel splice and search for the sweet spot in the room with the strongest signal.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

That makes sense. I have a dumb question, though....I currently have Time Warner Cable, and won't be cutting the cord until I know the new setup can work. If I just plug in a coax cable to the antenna feed on the wall, will that give me a true test of the antenna? Will it not work at all because TWC has set it (have they?) to feed from their service? Is there something I need to do first in order to test these out?

And be kind...I admitted it was a dumb question!
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Somewhere in the attic or outside the house you will have to disconnect the Time Warner cable and connect the antenna cable into the line. Then the in house cable wiring should work. It just has to be disconnected from Time Warner and hooked up to the antenna. Now if there is a junction box somewhere, it could weaken or block the antenna signal unless an amp may need to be in place.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually just disconnect the Time Warner cable from the back of the TV and connect the indoor antenna directly into the back of the TV. Same coax input connection. Then be sure and go into the settings menu and switch from cable to antenna/OTA. Then run another channel scan. This is crucial. Move the antenna around until you find a sweet spot for strong reception. As I said, you may need to add extension coax cable with a barrel splice to have more flexibility to find the best spot. RG6 cable is best.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM

I have a Mohu Leaf and it picks up my only VHF station on VHF channel 11 with no problem. In fact the VHF channel has a stronger signal than some of the UHF stations which are the same distance away (about 22 miles).

You may have to buy and try several antenna before finding the bet one. You can return the Leaf within 30 days if you find it does not suit you.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsear View Post

It seems most of the channels we want are UHF but two channels we want (ABC and FOX) are Hi VHF. We have an old analog television for now but hope to save money from cutting the cable cord in order to buy an HDTV down the road. We have a Roku box but still would like OTA for some live broadcasts. We may buy a used TiVo HD off eBay to record the broadcasts.

If you expect to use your old analog TV to tune digital channels, you will be in for a surprise.

You will need a D2A adapter (CECB) that will be, basically, a cable box for OTA to convert the ATSC signals broadcast into NTSC that your old analog TV can understand, as well as the antenna.

Cheers!
-Doug
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page