Topeka, KS - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2382 Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this over in the Kansas City thread, but I thought you all might be interested over here too:

Quote:

Sunflower BB in Lawrence launched their HD rollout yesterday. I picked up my Motorola 5100 box after work, and the CSR said they are going fast.

Just got it hooked up late last night, and it took a little while to get my TiVo rigged into the system, so I haven't seen much yet.

BUT - DiscoveryHD looks AWESOME! It was like watching a photograph with motion. I still have to figure out why the analog stations look so bad thru the component inputs while they are acceptable over the s-vid through the TiVo...

If you have any questions, send them my way - I'll try my best to answer them (perhaps even correctly )

-MCupps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2382 Old 07-02-2003, 08:04 PM

Hey Jeff Groves, how are things going with you?

Did you guys get the new Harris IRD from CBS yet?

All of the stations in Omaha, both commercial and PBS, are now broadcasting a digital signal.

We are now running two IOTs at 700kW ERP. The terrain here seems to be quite favorable for digital broadcasting. When we first went on the air running at the 250kW level, we were being received over 70 miles away with attic antennas.

Give me a landline, would like to talk shop about Dolby E.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #273 of 2382 Old 07-02-2003, 08:57 PM

Welcome to the Topeka Thread Mike.
Glad to see at least some of the stations are going to full power. On a rare night I can pull in KY3 out of Springfield MO. Omaha is a little farther away but at 700kw it might be possible to get you here. Unfortunately I'm working evening this week and don't have another day off til next Tuesday. I'll try to pull you in then and let you know if I do. I'm in Kansas City's DMA but since KCTV sucks and doesn't do HDTV I get CBS from WIBW. You are at digital channel 45 right?

Glenn
post #274 of 2382 Old 07-03-2003, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

We are digital Ch. 45, re-map to 3-1. Broadcasting 11AM - 11 PM daily.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #275 of 2382 Old 07-03-2003, 11:33 AM

Sorry that this is a Kansas City issue in the Topeka thread, but...

Mike,

Do you know Dan Somes at KCTV5 CBS in Kansas City? If you do, he is stating that they will be doing HD by year end. Some of us are finding this hard to believe and think this is a ploy to stop the complaints and articles in the Kansas City Star.

Is he personally for or against HD? Are his hands really that tied with Meredith, or could we have had CBS HD much sooner if he fought for it?

Just wondering,
Tim
post #276 of 2382 Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 AM

No, I don't know that gentleman. I don't think I will touch this subject even with a 10 foot sentence. Sounds like this is a very hot issue that I best stay out of.

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #277 of 2382 Old 07-03-2003, 02:08 PM

I understand. Congrats to you and Jeff for being in smaller markets and broadcasting CBS HD. Keep up the excellent work!! It is very appreciated.

Your stations MUST eventually have some kind of "ripple effect" on this situation. When the CBS stations in Phoenix and Kansas City look around, they must be saying "Hey, everyone around us doing HD, we should too!!"

Wishful thinking, I know...
post #278 of 2382 Old 07-25-2003, 11:53 AM

Judging from the lack of posts I guess things are quiet on the HDTV front in Topeka. I stopped by Cox yesterday and while I was there I noticed those brochures that tell you how superior cable is too satellite. I asked the customer service rep why cable is so much better if I can't get HDTV and, as if the response were programmed, she promptly told me they'd be carrying HDTV by the end of next month.

She admitted she didn't know any details. Apparently the staff was told they'd do an HDTV roll-out next month and that was all. She did know that Cox is supposed to start airing commercials promoting their HDTV service in the next week or so. She did not know until I told her that customers would have to get a new cable box to receive an HDTV signal.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much for Cox HDTV by Labor Day, but hopefully we'll have it sooner rather than later.
post #279 of 2382 Old 07-25-2003, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was told by "early fall", so we shall see. Football season would be a great boost for them.
post #280 of 2382 Old 07-28-2003, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I was flipping through some channels yesterday and saw an AD for HDTV coming soon on channel 30. I guess that means they are fairly close. It was the very end of the commercial so I am not really sure which logos were on it but I would assume ESPN, Discover, HBO, and SHO. Hopefully we will get KSNT and WIBW, and maybe even KTWU.

Too bad KTKA will not pass HDTV so we could watch MNF in HD.

Jeff,
Will WIBW be carried in HD by Cox??
post #281 of 2382 Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM

Not that it really matters but is anyone getting sound on KTKA-DT?
post #282 of 2382 Old 07-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

I'm getting sound from KTKA-DT ch. 48. I was not getting sound from
KSNT for a day or 2 last week. KSNT seems to have more problems keeping everything up and running than the other channels.

The last time I hooked up the antenna to my MYHD PC tuner I couldn't
get audio from KTKA and if I remember right I don't think I have ever been
able to get audio from KTKA with it for some reason.
post #283 of 2382 Old 08-01-2003, 09:59 AM

Not HD related but Skyreport is reporting the DIRECTV is adding Topeka locals later this year.
post #284 of 2382 Old 08-01-2003, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is kick ass. I would rather have topeka locals than KC which I get now. (don't ask)
post #285 of 2382 Old 08-01-2003, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The more I think about that, do I really want to move? Topeka would include KTKA (ABC), KSNT (NBC), WIBW (CBS), KTWU (PBS), KTMJ (Fox). And I am not sure KTMJ would even count.

That means I would loose UPN, Pax, and WB local channels. I watch alot of WB shows so that would pretty much suck. Unless KTKA, which partners with Cox on WBKS, the cable WB, could put up a WB, then I would be happy.
post #286 of 2382 Old 08-01-2003, 01:30 PM

It is interesting that they are going to put Topeka up before Wichita. Maybe since Wichita has repeaters all over southern and western Kansas, they would have to carry them all.
post #287 of 2382 Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Here in Oak Grove Missouri I am receiving your Topeka KTWU DT-11
post #288 of 2382 Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 AM

On KSNT-DT, I am getting indication that they are broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 but am only getting the front left channel. I know that not many people are receiveing KSNT-DT , but is anyon who is getting this also?
post #289 of 2382 Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 PM

I just get Dolby Pro-Logic, or at least DD 2.0, on KSNT-DT. WIBW is the only station I regularly receive in 5.1. I've heard that KTWU will have some 5.1 content but I haven't seen it yet.
post #290 of 2382 Old 08-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

My Mcintosh shows I'm receiving DD 5.0 but I am only getting stereo while watching Conan, but that wont be in 5.0 anyway. I'll check when there is some real HD and see if I'm getting more than just the 2 front channels.
I am getting both front channels , not just the left front channel.
post #291 of 2382 Old 08-07-2003, 10:15 PM

Apparently there will be a meeting for Cox employees this Saturday at which they will be told the details of the HDTV rollout. Until then, the rank and file don't seem to know any details.

Someone pointed out on the Wichita thread that HD channels are now listed on the digital cable on-screen program guide. It's the same locally. Check out the 600's and you'll HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD. No mention on the program guide of the network affiliates.
post #292 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 06:53 AM

CBS will be carry only the "Primary Game each week in HDTV" So I will only be recieving and passing the Chiefs Game in HD if its the "primary game of the week" the rest of the time they will be upconverted.. The San Diego @
Kansas City is the primary game for week # 1. Then the next 3 Chiefs game will be upconverted. After the 4 weeks the new lineup will come out.
Does this make sense ?
post #293 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I got tired of waiting on Cox to answer when, so I wrote into the Mercury (local paper in Manhattan) asking when we would get HDTV service over cable. Here is the part pertaining to things we like:

Quote:
Q: Will Cox ever start offering an HDTV service in Manhattan? WIBW, KSNT and KTWU are all broadcasting in digital, including HDTV in primetime, but the hills surrounding Manhattan make it almost impossible for me to receive them over the air - so I need to get them through the cable company.
A: Yes. Cox spokeswoman Kristin Peck said Monday that the cable company plans to announce soon statewide availability of HD service, starting Sept. 2.
HDTV, for those of you like me who know nothing about television, means "high definition" TV. The picture is much clearer than regular TV.
Several broadcast stations have already begun to send out HD signals. Aside from those you mentioned, KTKA also does it. And several cable channels - ESPN, Discovery, HBO and Showtime - offer it as well. None of them necessarily offer the HD service 24/7, but it is available for some programming.
"Very few of them are doing it right now, but eventually everybody will be doing it," Peck said.
Anyway, as you might guess, there are a few catches:
.For you to receive the high-definition transmission, you're going to have to pay a premium to Cox. Peck said she wasn't ready yet to announce the pricing.
.In most cases, you'll have to buy a set-top box to handle the transmission.
.You'll have to have a television capable of handling HDTV. Those are running about $500 to $1,000 more than a regular set of the same size, according to Chuck Hattrup, service manager at Manhattan's Ace Midwest Hardware, which sells the sets.
"They're coming down more all the time," he said.

SOOOOO, it looks like September 2 is the magic date. I think the guy is wrong when he says KTKA does HD, I am pretty sure they are just digital. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like they might carry KTKA too.
post #294 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 02:52 PM

KTKA is digital only. No HD.
post #295 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 07:07 PM

I checked in with the folks at Cox tonight about their meeting on Saturday. They were not given an exact date for the HDTV rollout but were told it would be sometime in September. There will be a charge for the HD tier of channels and we will be required to buy our own Motorola box. The person I spoke with said the receivers will be available for purchase at Best Buy. She thought there would be six channels, including the network affiliates, but wasn't sure. If they carry all of the locals I think it should be more than six channels.

Apparently, Cox has very low expectations for HDTV cable in Topeka. In a perfect example of what comes first - the chicken or the egg - they won't rent the Motorola boxes unless the HD tier proves popular. I mentioned that would be rough on someone who shells out $500 only to find out a month later that Cox will rent the receivers. The Cox employee said that there was some mention of maybe offering some sort of buyback program in case Cox began renting an upgraded receiver. As you would guess, she doubted the buyback would cover what the receiver would actually cost.
post #296 of 2382 Old 08-12-2003, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it is a huge mistake to not rent the boxes. What advantage do they then have over sat.? All the satellite boxes have 8vsb tuners, so most can pickup locals that way.

I WILL NOT shell out $500 for a box just for the fact that I may move within 6 months to a location that has no cable access.

As far as the 6 channels, I would imagine HBO, SHO, Discover HD, ESPN HD, WIBW, and KSNT. I was wondering if they would carry KTWU.
post #297 of 2382 Old 08-22-2003, 08:54 AM

Does anyone know if Manhattan would be included in DirecTv's Topeka Local channels?
post #298 of 2382 Old 08-22-2003, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, if Directv finally does go ahead with the Directv channels, we would be able to get them. Manhattan is in the Topeka DMA.
post #299 of 2382 Old 08-25-2003, 11:23 AM

We got a fax from a distrubtor today saying that COX will not offer boxes at all. And for the time being, the big box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) will not be selling them. They will be Motorola DCT5100's with a retail price of $599.99 and only available at local retail stores. It looks like they will be offering all of the Topeka digitals (including KTKA) along with HBO, SHO, DISC-HD and ESPN-HD. The start date is Sept. 2nd.

This information is from a third source so it is subject to correction and/or change.

We also sell cable modems for COX. We called our contact person and they had no information except that it will be sometime in Sept. She said that they would let us know when they find out something.
post #300 of 2382 Old 08-25-2003, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you mean to say the big stores WILL be selling them along with you? I assume you are still at Wolfs?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page