Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2382 Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What's been the holdup?

Some of this I've said before, but here we go...

Nothing is going to happen with KSNT until the sale is completed and who knows what happens then. Anyone know the new owners? Emmis had some hare-brained schemes regarding HD and it was going to be a long time before they would have put KSNT-HD on Cox regardless of how much money they were offered. Those of us with OTA receivers continue to benefit from our investment on this one.

The old ownership at KTKA was cheap and was unwilling to make the necessary investments for HD. It should just be a matter of time before KTKA under its new ownership is in HD but it no doubt won't be soon enough, i.e. well after the Super Bowl. Since the new ownership owns a cable company, I'm sure they'll be reasonable in their negotiations with Cox.

KTMJ is the biggest question mark. They're literally a second-tier station. Cox made a major push to have Fox on in time for last year's Super Bowl but KTMJ made some nonmonetary demands that Cox thought were unreasonable. Cox was willing to help defray some of the expense for KTMJ but they stuck to their nonmonetary demands. Until KTMJ is willing to just take the money and run, no Fox in HD.

Cox carries UPN-HD in Wichita. It's my understanding that they really need a local affiliate up here to get the signal from before adding it to our lineup. Apparently, it's not as simple as just sending the HD signal from Wichita to Topeka. If there were a UPN affiliate in Topeka they would most likely already be in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2382 Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Some quotes from The Topeka Capital-Journal article on 12-23-05:

Quote:

Dave Waters, general manager of Fox affiliate KTMJ, said the station would make a "flash switch" from analog to digital on channel 43 at the end of the transition. KTMJ also operates transmitters in Junction City, Manhattan and near Emporia, which also will need to switch.

The next Super Bowl will be on ABC, but to see it in HD viewers will need to watch the game on KMBC-DT, digital channel 7, because Topeka's ABC affiliate doesn't have the necessary equipment to transmit programs in HD. KTKA chief engineer Mike Caudle said discussions are under way at the station, which recently changed ownership, to change that.

http://cjonline.com/stories/122305/bus_digital.shtml
post #723 of 2382 Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed that the author of that article used to be program director of KTWU, but it had some good info. So basically in 2009, when they shut off analog, we will be able to get Fox in HD. I was told by someone at KTKA they could be HD by mid 2006.

Right now, I am actually pretty happy, as I get CBS, PBS, Fox, and NBC all in HD. I can also get ABC, but in SD, but it still not as bad as a compressed Directv signal. I can occasionally get KAKE out of Wichita for ABC HD, but it is not at all consistent, and when I do get it, it goes in and out alot. Probably 75% of the time, I can get KWCH out of Hutch, but since I get WIBW, I don't have a use, unless WIBW is showing a KU game and there is something I really want to watch on CBS.

I think it's sad we don't have an WB or UPN affiliate here.
post #724 of 2382 Old 01-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Tim, do you get stereo with KTKA-DT? I only get mono sound.

I put up a bigger antenna in my attic and I can now sometimes get ABC out of Kansas City. Unfortunately it causes multipath problems for WIBW so I have to use an A/B switch. I just got a Jointenna yesterday but have not had time to play with it much. I have had no luck getting other stations from KC.
post #725 of 2382 Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The only 'Flash Switch' we'll see from KTMJ here will in fact be a switch off!! They have made no effort to begin a transition to digital, let alone HD. Hence when the analog to digital date arrives in 2009, KTMJ will probably just turn everything off. They are pathetic, and do themselves and the Fox network a huge disservice by not investing in HD. There are many Fox shows that I'd watch, BUT when the competing networks are in HD, and KTMJ are still in 'crappo-vision', I'll watch the other channel everytime.
Bish
post #726 of 2382 Old 01-07-2006, 09:03 PM

I know I'm not Tim, but I thought I'd jump in anyway. I only get mono sound on KTKA-DT. At least the Analog version gives you stereo sound. Talk about extreme lack of effort. I'm personally suprised someone even makes a digital transmitter that only does mono sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS188 View Post

Tim, do you get stereo with KTKA-DT? I only get mono sound.

I put up a bigger antenna in my attic and I can now sometimes get ABC out of Kansas City. Unfortunately it causes multipath problems for WIBW so I have to use an A/B switch. I just got a Jointenna yesterday but have not had time to play with it much. I have had no luck getting other stations from KC.

post #727 of 2382 Old 01-10-2006, 02:08 PM

well I'm looking at antennaes now--saw one for 99 bucks out of best buy-(outdoor) none are the specific rotor types that I've seen written about here (7777?)

Anway I live on a hill--get 4.1 (fox) out of KC occasionally--am shooting for 9.1 (abc)all with an indoor antennae. I really don't want to spend 2-4 hundred dollars for some motorized locking outdoor antennae. Anyone with experience with the best buy antennaes that king of look like a wing/foil of some sort? Or should I just breakdown and spend 2-4 hundred for one of these motorized 7777's before the superbowl.
post #728 of 2382 Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts2005 View Post

well I'm looking at antennaes now--saw one for 99 bucks out of best buy-(outdoor) none are the specific rotor types that I've seen written about here (7777?)

Anway I live on a hill--get 4.1 (fox) out of KC occasionally--am shooting for 9.1 (abc)all with an indoor antennae. I really don't want to spend 2-4 hundred dollars for some motorized locking outdoor antennae. Anyone with experience with the best buy antennaes that king of look like a wing/foil of some sort? Or should I just breakdown and spend 2-4 hundred for one of these motorized 7777's before the superbowl.

I don't think you need to spend that much. I spent about $110 and got everything I need. Keep in mind however, that KMBC ABC out of KC is VHF, not UHF, so you will either need a combo, or have a seperate antenna for just them.
post #729 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 05:18 PM

BREAKING NEWS: According to two unrelated, reliable and extremely well-placed sources, the Super Bowl will be on Cox in high-def.
post #730 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post

BREAKING NEWS: According to two unrelated, reliable and extremely well-placed sources, the Super Bowl will be on Cox in high-def.

How is that going to be possible? KTKA would have to consent to having Cox use the KAKE or KMBC feed, right??
post #731 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:

How is that going to be possible?

Both my sources said KTKA would have the Super Bowl in HD on Cox. I really don't know the specifics other than that. One of the two told me KTKA would be on Cox by the Super Bowl and the other said that KTKA would have the Super Bowl on cable in HD. Although different, the two statements aren't necessarily mutually exclusive and both agree about the Super Bowl in HD. I've said before that Cox was willing to go to great lengths last year to have the Super Bowl in HD and I assume they would have been willing to work with KTKA as much as possible this year.
post #732 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like something like they will just take the ABC feed, then feed in KTKA commercials, but they will not have it over the air??
post #733 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:

but they will not have it over the air??

I was told the Super Bowl will be exclusive to Cox. I assume that at some point KTKA will broadcast OTA in HD but not in the next 25 days. I would guess that it's much easier and cheaper to somehow send the signal to Cox than it is to start transmitting it OTA.
post #734 of 2382 Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 PM

This makes sense...it sounds a lot like the arrangement that Cox almost came to with KTMJ last time around. KTKA will get the equipment to recieve the HD feed from ABC's satellites, and will send it to Cox. Then at some point, I assume they will upgrade whatever equipment with their transmitter that also needs upgrading.

I wonder how much Cox is helping them out financially to do this?

Quote:

I was told the Super Bowl will be exclusive to Cox. I assume that at some point KTKA will broadcast OTA in HD but not in the next 25 days. I would guess that it's much easier and cheaper to somehow send the signal to Cox than it is to start transmitting it OTA.

post #735 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1376 View Post

I noticed that the author of that article used to be program director of KTWU, but it had some good info. So basically in 2009, when they shut off analog, we will be able to get Fox in HD. I was told by someone at KTKA they could be HD by mid 2006.

Right now, I am actually pretty happy, as I get CBS, PBS, Fox, and NBC all in HD. I can also get ABC, but in SD, but it still not as bad as a compressed Directv signal. I can occasionally get KAKE out of Wichita for ABC HD, but it is not at all consistent, and when I do get it, it goes in and out alot. Probably 75% of the time, I can get KWCH out of Hutch, but since I get WIBW, I don't have a use, unless WIBW is showing a KU game and there is something I really want to watch on CBS.

I think it's sad we don't have an WB or UPN affiliate here.

Dave is retired and was the program director at the local PBS for many years. He began experimenting in picking up digital channels when 19 KC went digital (1998). He has played with antennas for years and has a 60 foot tower with a parabolic antenna and rotor at his home. He has never hooked up Cable or Satellite. He is totally dedicated to broadcast. He retired shortly after the local PBS went HD. The article he wrote for the paper was edited down from a much longer article that would make more sense to those of us that have been following HD for years. He's a great guy, full of information and very unbiased.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #736 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I wonder how much Cox is helping them out financially to do this?

I don't know. However, if I remember correctly, with KTMJ last year it wasn't that the station was going to make a profit off the deal but rather Cox would cover the expense of getting the signal from the station to wherever Cox needed it. Basically, as long as the station could handle receiving the HD broadcast Cox would handle the rest. That's a fuzzy recollection.
post #737 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 AM

That sounds about right. I know in other markets, Cox has done pretty much the same thing. Not a bad deal for the station. Not bad for Cox either, since they probably own some fiber going right by the station anyway.

As much as I'm annoyed with them most of the time, you've got to hand it to Cox for trying at least. They've offered mediocre HD for years, they could just go right on doing it.

Quote:

I don't know. However, if I remember correctly, with KTMJ last year it wasn't that the station was going to make a profit off the deal but rather Cox would cover the expense of getting the signal from the station to wherever Cox needed it. Basically, as long as the station could handle receiving the HD broadcast Cox would handle the rest. That's a fuzzy recollection.

post #738 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 AM

How is the COX DVR box? Does it work well or are there still problems? I have been using stand alone and DIRECTV Tivo units for years. Do you think I would like the COX DVR?
post #739 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM

The Cox DVR is getting pretty good. I've had it for a year and a half or so, and have seen the problems it has had. They upgraded the firmware in KS a while ago, and I haven't had any major problems ever since. On occasion, I have seen it miss a recording, but that hasn't happened but once since the software update.

It is pretty hard to beat, considering the competition out there right now. A dual tuner HD DVR for $15/month can't be had anywhere else.

Quote:

How is the COX DVR box? Does it work well or are there still problems? I have been using stand alone and DIRECTV Tivo units for years. Do you think I would like the COX DVR?

post #740 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:

This would certainly be an exciting development! Thanks for posting. Do you have any idea when they would make this official if it goes through? I might want to invite some people over.

Quote:

It's not perfect, but I like it a lot. For me, it certainly beats paying the price for a Tivo. I also like that I can get a "free" upgrade/replacement as the machines improve or die (as my first on eventually did). You probably will like it less than I do since I've never used Tivo, and you'll probably miss some functionality that I'm not used to. Take a look at the Moto 6412 thread in the HD recorder forum.
post #741 of 2382 Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:

Do you have any idea when they would make this official if it goes through?

I was told it would be in time for the Super Bowl. That's all I know. I would not be totally surprised if we saw KTKA-HD in the channel guide before we heard an official announcement but that's total speculation. The reason I say that is that I think they're rushing to get this done and the timing is more of a practical matter than it is a contract matter. Again, that's a guess. However, I would think Cox would want to make an announcement early enough to sign up a bunch of new customers.
post #742 of 2382 Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I was told it would be in time for the Super Bowl. That's all I know. I would not be totally surprised if we saw KTKA-HD in the channel guide before we heard an official announcement but that's total speculation. The reason I say that is that I think they're rushing to get this done and the timing is more of a practical matter than it is a contract matter. Again, that's a guess. However, I would think Cox would want to make an announcement early enough to sign up a bunch of new customers.

I'm not even a Cox customer, but I have many friends who are. Their HDTV page (http://www.cox.com/kansas/digitalcab...rogramming.asp) lists KTKA. I don't know if this is a new development or if that's been there a long time in hopes of KTKA's conversion. The lineup page still does NOT include KTKA.

All I know is, I was getting decent reception on KMBC (ABC) with my ChannelMaster 4228 last night once I got it working. Super Bowl party at my house in Meriden! It's the one with the garish antenna.
post #743 of 2382 Old 01-13-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBugeater View Post

I'm not even a Cox customer, but I have many friends who are. Their HDTV page (http://www.cox.com/kansas/digitalcab...rogramming.asp) lists KTKA. I don't know if this is a new development or if that's been there a long time in hopes of KTKA's conversion. The lineup page still does NOT include KTKA.

KTKA has been on that list for some time.
post #744 of 2382 Old 01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

IF Cox can keep the HD feed from KTKA after the Super Bowl, and if they add KSNT-DT as well as an HD feed from KTMJ then, (and I can't believe I'm saying this), I will probably switch from Directv back to cable. The only thing I'd miss IF the above were available on Cox would be ESPN2-HD, and perhaps Cox would have that by next football season.

Question for those of you with HD from Cox: how do you find the quality? As many of you know, Directv lowers the resolution on their HD feeds, and some look like crap at times. Does Cox 'manipulate' resolution of its HD channels in order to conserve bandwidth?

Thanks,
Bish
post #745 of 2382 Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 PM

I don't think so--resolution is great on cox and I have the sxrd

Wibw looks very similar whether I am on antennae or cox. pbs actually looks better on cox which I can't figure out. I guess cox gets it locally but I'm not sure. of course I get nbc ota but abc going to cox makes me rethink whether to go get an outdoor antennae or not
post #746 of 2382 Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts2005 View Post

I don't think so--resolution is great on cox and I have the sxrd

Wibw looks very similar whether I am on antennae or cox. pbs actually looks better on cox which I can't figure out. I guess cox gets it locally but I'm not sure. of course I get nbc ota but abc going to cox makes me rethink whether to go get an outdoor antennae or not

I've always figured that was due to KTWU's multicasting. They have to reduce their bandwidth to the HD channel when it goes over the air. I'll bet Cox gets it before the bitrate gets cut down.
post #747 of 2382 Old 01-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies re: 'resolution' on Cox.
One more thing: the HD DVR from Cox, (Motorola 6412?), does it have an input for an OTA antenna also, or just the cable feed?
TIA,
Bish
post #748 of 2382 Old 01-15-2006, 05:53 PM

Ok, maybe somebody could help me, or at least reassure me, but we live at approx 21st and MacVicar in Topeka. Our HDTV is up on the 2nd floor in the NE corner of the house. I'm looking for a cheap indoor antenna to get the local HD channels. Would the TERK HDTVA model work ok for me, or am I spinning my wheels by not getting a roofmount? Thanks in advance.

James
post #749 of 2382 Old 01-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

Thanks for the replies re: 'resolution' on Cox.
One more thing: the HD DVR from Cox, (Motorola 6412?), does it have an input for an OTA antenna also, or just the cable feed?
TIA,
Bish

Nope, just the two (encrypted) QAM tuners that it is using for the cable channels. It would have been nice.
post #750 of 2382 Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawshaw View Post

Ok, maybe somebody could help me, or at least reassure me, but we live at approx 21st and MacVicar in Topeka. Our HDTV is up on the 2nd floor in the NE corner of the house. I'm looking for a cheap indoor antenna to get the local HD channels. Would the TERK HDTVA model work ok for me, or am I spinning my wheels by not getting a roofmount? Thanks in advance.

James

I am in the 29th and Wanamaker area and I have tried a indoor antenna on my TV. I could pick up most channels but any time someone in the house would walk around the picture would break up. You being on a 2nd floor might help. The towers are directly west of you and slightly north. I say it would be worth a try. Good luck.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page