Topeka, KS - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tim,
Don't give up on yet.. give me a call, I want to send you something.
I would like you to try one thing for me, If it don't work then you can give up...... or move...

Jeff G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff groves

HD reception is without a doubt a little strange. Multipath has a lot to do with reception problem. with just a bit of multipath the bit error rate goes up and the reception goes away, even though you may have a strong signal.. What I have noticed is quite a few "signal meters" that are built into receivers are actually bit error meters. This is something to keep in mind
when playing with antennas and such for reception.. You sometime can move your antenna off direction a little to lesson multipath and decrease bit error problems..

Its a strange bird..

That's for sure. If anyone moves in my house, I loose KSNT-DT!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
Well, I don't have my antenna up anymore, do I need that?? I might get it back sometime from the guy that borrowed it. I think he plans on watching the AFC championships this weekend on your station. If you still want me to call you, do I use the number you emailed me a while back or just call the station?
Old 01-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

timmy,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.I think definitely multipath and not enough antenna gain/height are possible causes of your poor reception.

As far as equipment is concerned,when trying to receive low-powered DT stations,well designed high gain antennas can make a marginal signal much more dependable.And,of course,every location is unique,and like they say-ymmv.

But,at my location,I've done extensive comparisons using high gain antennas such as the Televes Pro 75,and Triax Unix 100 in stacked configurations against other more common antennas such as the CM 4228,4248,and a RS U120R long yagi.

I have five very low power stations,now on the air,that are quite reliable with the stacked antennas.The other antennas usually won't even produce a lock.Two are 46mi,two are 54mi,and one is 70mi.The terrain here is flat to gently rolling.Am also able to use high gain preamps,which helps a lot, as the nearest high powered TV station is 36mi distant.Without the preamps,the reliability factor diminishes greatly.

If I were in your area,and was intent on trying to pick up a certain Ch44,I would use a Triax Unix 100 Group B in a vertical,or horizontal(best for multipath) stack.These Quad-X type yagis are the best for multipath,even used singularly.

Just thought I'd throw out my personal experiences on weak signal reception in case you,or anyone else in East KS,wants to go to the 'nth degree to see some CBS HD.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:34 AM

Tim,
Go ahead and give me a ring. you can reach me at the number I E-mail you or a t the station. Don't worry about getting your antenna back...

Jeff G
Old 01-23-2003, 01:20 PM

It looks like that WIBW got their Dolby Digital straightened out with the help of Mike from Dolby Labs. They are now broadcasting in 2.0 like they should be. I just hope that they are able to go back to 5.1 when CBS starts sending it to them.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 PM

I'd like to thank WIBW for their forward-thinking approach to the DTV transition

I watched the AFC Championship in HD on Sunday and enjoyed several hours of WIBW's programming, commercials, and news afterwards.

Even though I live in Lawrence and get a better signal from KCTV, I WILL NOT be tuning into their station even after they get with the program and start passing an HD signal.

KCTV's attitude sucks, and I want them in my life less than Sunflower Cablevision here in Lawrence (which I dropped two years ago for DirecTV).

Thanks again, WIBW!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:28 PM

Anyone else having trouble with WIBW's sound tonight?

I just have an analog 2 channel system hooked up to my STB. It sounds like the surrounds are coming out of the left and right channels. I am barely hearing any vocals at all, mostly background noise. Hmmmm...

All of the analog Topeka channels sound fine, as well as KC analog and digital.

I watch WIBW as much as I can, when I can get it in. Forget KCTV!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:28 PM

Yeah,
Thanks to Mike at Dolby Lab your audio was messed up. I noticed it when
I got home tonight. I put it back in 5.1 a little after 9...

Jeff Groves
WIBW
Old 01-24-2003, 08:37 AM

Jeff,

I guess that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mike PM'd me on Wednesday and asked if you were set to 2.0. I checked Wednesday night during the KU game and it was coming through and the sound was fine. Even on Thursday your local stuff was right, it just was the CBS stuff that was missed up.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:43 AM

I connected my equipment for the first time last night. I was able to get a strong WIBW signal from almost 50 miles away. I live south of Manhattan, a mile south of 1-70 on top of hill. I did notice the audio problems and feared it was my configuration. I do not have a digital audio amp and I noticed the CSI broadcast was in DD. I initially thought my audio problems were due to the lack of DD equipment but I guess that is not the case. Will I receive clear audio through my 2-channel amp like all the other analog channels?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:06 AM

Currently I have the Dolby encoder set for 5.1, The problem is on my end.
During local programming , we just run stereo, CBS will soon be passing 5.1
I need to interface the Dolby encoder with my master control switcher to also switch the audio between 5.1 and stereo when we switch from local programming to CBS. Dolby Labs also has some sort of upgrade I need to install on my Dolby encoder to do 5.1 that CBS will be sending. I am currently going to continue to run in 5.1 until I get the time to work on the interface and upgrade. And get it to operate correctly on a full time...

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time...
Old 01-24-2003, 11:54 AM

So if I understand correctly, I will be unable to decode the audio properly unless I have a DD decoder. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM

Jeff,

I think you are doing an awesome job with this. I also think it's excellent that you are on this forum.

And Hey, this is all new technology, things are bound to be screwed up from time to time. I am an IT Systems Administrator so I can totally relate!!

-Tim (from Olathe, not Manhattan)
Old 01-24-2003, 01:03 PM

Jeff, I just wanted to take a moment and say thanks for being apart of this board. It is nice to see that people at WIBW care. I will NOT be watching KCTV anytime soon due to their attitude towards DTV.

Good work!!!
Old 01-25-2003, 03:45 PM

You should be able to get the audio fine..
Later when CBS starts passing true 5.1 you will need a dolby ss unit to really get the full audio and all the channels... Also Tim, I have not forgot about you.. I am waiting on an order I put in...
TNX
Old 01-31-2003, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any news on KTKA or KTWU?

Jeff:

I am in no hurry, but I do have a question. Does it take more equipment to multicast? If not, have you guys thought about doing that during the NCAA basketball tournament when they are not showing a HDTV game? That would be pretty neat to see.

thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually I have some news on KTKA and KTWU. KTKA should be on the air within 90 days. Now the kicker(s), at low power, and just upconverting analog to 480p. And they will be at low power for several years, meaning no ABC HD for me or really anyone outside of the topeka viewing area, for that matter. The guy even acknowleged that all I would probably get in HD was CBS. Thank god for Jeff and WIBW.

Here is a quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the FCC only requires us to serve our city of
license(Topeka), so thats all we will be doing for a few years. As a
consumer, I am a huge proponent of HDTV(I've seen it,and it's
outstanding), but as a broadcaster I am truely dissappointed in the amount
of apathy towards it(Still costs too much).

quite telling in that he want to do more, but cannot.

Now on to KTWU and PBS. Tower is done, antenna for digital 23 is up, just waiting on the transmitter. They should be on end of April. Duane at KTWU seems excited when he gets contacted about this kind of stuff. I am pretty sure they will mulitcast during the day and *maybe* HD at night, if there is any from PBS.

Comments?? Jeff, I would love to hear what you think about the FCC city of license thing.

tim
Old 02-04-2003, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376
just upconverting analog to 480p.

Wouldn't that also mean no ABC-HD for even the people in Topeka that can receive the digital signal?
Old 02-04-2003, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah brad, my bad. No ABC HD for anyone! That kinda bites, seeing as how Monday Night Football will be in HD. Even if Cox get off their behinds and does cable HD here, no ABC HD that way either, if KTKA doesn't pass it.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:57 AM

http://www.digitaltelevision.com/200...williams.shtml
Low power is ultimately a poor choice. Is 49 offering wavers?

Yes i'm deaf
Old 02-05-2003, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Waivers for what?? Nobody offers ABC HD around. The only thing you guys can try is to pick up KAKE channel 21 out of Wichita. Tropo might be right for it this summer, but doubtful during the winter.

The guy at KTKA also emailed me back as I asked more questions. I asked about Cox and he said they had had very early talks and he thought they wanted to get something going by this summer. Unless KTKA passed HD on cable and not OTA, no chance of MNF in HD. He also said they would be at 1kW just like KSNT. You guys down at the store should be able to get them, but I just hate very low power.

Talking about Cox makes me wonder, since we do not have a WB affiliate near, if they would take the digital WB out of Wichita and put it on there? Also, would they take the KAAS fox out of Wichita and use it instead of Fox 43? I am sure that would peave them off. I also hope if they do it, ESPN HD is one of the first stations on there.

Also, KTKA since they are only going to do 480p would have no problem multicasting a WB channel(unless there are legals I dont know about) since they partner with Cox on the WB on cable here. Sound good??
Old 02-06-2003, 10:40 AM

Hey guys, sorry if this is a little off post, but
My mother lives in Ozawkie, right on the lake.
Last year she ditched cable and got Dish
Network. I installed a RS V190 ant and CM
9521A rotator so she could get locals. My
question is, she gets ESPN on chanel 3
analog and sometimes Discovery Chanel
on Analog 8. I disconnected Dish thinking
it might be some kind of feedback but it
is still there. The closest chanel 3 is NBC
in Wichita. Anyone else see this happining?
Thanks,
Marc
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is a cable line still attached?? that's wierd. I have heard of cable channels coming through I think by leaking out of the cable line and being picked up by an antenna.

at least I think I heard that
Old 02-06-2003, 07:30 PM

No, cable is detached from pole outside.
My sister and brother-in -law have the
same thing and they live about 10 miles
away. Chanel 3 (ESPN) seems to be
coming from SW. If I rotate antenna
any other direction signal degrades.
Marc
Old 02-07-2003, 06:54 AM

Might check Topeka's PBS engineer. He's getting Wichita, Omaha, KC regularly. He's also getting some digital feeds from a loooong way away, with perfect conditions. I think he's running a 30' tower.

Yes i'm deaf
Old 02-10-2003, 01:23 PM

Tim,
Currently we can not run another channel, If I spent around $30,000 I could add another channel. That brings on another problem, I still need more gear for operating the second channel. The second channel would only be in 480. You could drop about $200,000 for additional hardware to run 2 independent DTV signals.... Its very hard for small TV stations to pay for the HDTV hardware to start with not to mention adding channels and other things.. PBS stations do get some Federal money for the HDTV conversions
but the rest of us have to shell out the bucks on our own. I am sure KTKA will move to high power after a few years, but right now a lot of stations are struggling to just meet FCC requirements. I understand we all want to see all the HD programming we can but who's paying for it ? Its hard to sell TV advertising when there is about 35 or 40 viewers.

just something to think about...
Old 02-23-2003, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys getting 5.1 on the grammys on WIBW??
Old 02-23-2003, 10:12 PM

No 5.1 here. I don't think it got passed through.

That said, even without 5.1, it was AWESOME! Thank you again, WIBW, for bringing HDTV to our area. I usually wouldn't even watch The Grammys, but it was so visually stunning, I couldn't stop! I can hardly contain my excitement over what's to come. Especially the NCAA Basketball Tournament!

Hopefully KU will make it into an HD game or two.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:34 AM

Jeff,

The Grammy's last night did look stuning but I was getting audio dropouts. I seemed to get the signal just fine. I have an anolog audio setup. Would I lose the audio dropouts if I went digital?

Thanks!