Topeka, KS - HDTV - Page 80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2371 of 2382 Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Since you are close to your local towers, a lower gain amp is indeed recommended to prevent overload. There is a Kitztech 100 that also has low noise but adjustable gain. And that Winegard 269 is low gain and designed to resist overload. The CPA-19 was also designed to handle overload, but has a bit more gain. But it has been discontinued due to some kind of performance issue. As for the antenna, it is made by Winegard for Denny's Antenna Service, so it should be a good antenna. They claim it is a bit better than the 7696-7698 combo antennas, as the separate antennas may have a bit more gain. So I would just add a preamp and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2382 Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Since you are close to your local towers, a lower gain amp is indeed recommended to prevent overload. There is a Kitztech 100 that also has low noise but adjustable gain. And that Winegard 269 is low gain and designed to resist overload. The CPA-19 was also designed to handle overload, but has a bit more gain. But it has been discontinued due to some kind of performance issue. As for the antenna, it is made by Winegard for Denny's Antenna Service, so it should be a good antenna. They claim it is a bit better than the 7696-7698 combo antennas, as the separate antennas may have a bit more gain. So I would just add a preamp and go from there.

So you think the pre amps I listed are overkill and will overload my locals then?

'Ultimately, If I cannot get in enough KC stations I plan to just return it and stick with my ClearStream4. It isn't perfect because some of my locals are 30 miles away but it gets the job done. I really want those KC stations though.
post #2373 of 2382 Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 65
All of those amps are decent enough products but they're simply the incorrect amps for your circumstance. Frankly, I suspect most bad reviews are from customers who didn't know what they were doing, simply threw an amp at their, problem, then blamed the problem on the product instead of themselves.
Quote:
I don't want to lose money constantly buying and returning antennas. I've done enough of that.

Amps or antennas, same problem. Can't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse no matter what.
post #2374 of 2382 Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

All of those amps are decent enough products but they're simply the incorrect amps for your circumstance. Frankly, I suspect most bad reviews are from customers who didn't know what they were doing, simply threw an amp at their, problem, then blamed the problem on the product instead of themselves.
Amps or antennas, same problem. Can't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse no matter what.

Well, the CPA19 is unavailable and from what I have read on it, has overheating problems. Hence why it was discontinued. As far as the HDP269 it would help to actually see some positive reviews on it. One thing I hate about online reviews is you can never find anything that seems legitimate.

To be honest, I am tempted to just try the convenient radio shack amp just to see if I will even get anymore KC channels. If I don't, then I am probably wasting my time trying and should just return the antenna and stick with my clearstream4.
post #2375 of 2382 Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The CPA19 was discontinued due to vendor pricing and relations issues. We still have about a dozen in inventory, but you'd have to call in to order since they're off the site.

It's normal for a CPA19 and its power supply to run "hot" due to its normal power consumption of 135 mA @ 15V. A wall transformer surface of 100-105° isn't unusual. Please keep in mind that all our products do have LIFETIME warranty....

I did post some comments about the HDP-269 over at DHC last week. See post # 3486 in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42426&page=233

Quote:
I am tempted to just try the convenient radio shack amp

I've yet to find an amp in a local retail store that I'd feel comfortable recommending. YMMV. The pre-amps in the local Radio Shack stores wont be able to handle your "hot" local stations.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #2376 of 2382 Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This will probably get lost amid the guru's preamp problems, but I just noticed Kansas First News in HD this morning. Wow, what a difference. 13 will still have an advantage until KFN gets field video in HD, but at least the graphics and studio look professional now. The HD radar loop behind Tom Hagen was almost mesmerizing as it showed last night's thunderstorms roll through in great detail. I know, it's nothing I can't see online, but to see it on my big screen was impressive. I guess we owe thanks to Lin for the upgrade?
kansanian likes this.
post #2377 of 2382 Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

The CPA19 was discontinued due to vendor pricing and relations issues. We still have about a dozen in inventory, but you'd have to call in to order since they're off the site.

It's normal for a CPA19 and its power supply to run "hot" due to its normal power consumption of 135 mA @ 15V. A wall transformer surface of 100-105° isn't unusual. Please keep in mind that all our products do have LIFETIME warranty....

I did post some comments about the HDP-269 over at DHC last week. See post # 3486 in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42426&page=233
I've yet to find an amp in a local retail store that I'd feel comfortable recommending. YMMV. The pre-amps in the local Radio Shack stores wont be able to handle your "hot" local stations.

What is the number to call you at and the price?

Called AD and they are telling me the CP18 would be better than the CPA19. Are they just telling me that because the CP18 is the current product? Also, they couldn't tell me the price of the CPA19 at all. Could you at least PM me with that price?
post #2378 of 2382 Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The PA18 is an older model they are still offering. There have been some reports of failure with that model. But I believe they be working on a new replacement version for the CPA19. The CPA19 was good because it had low noise, as well as good shielding and overload resistance.
post #2379 of 2382 Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Anyone know what the story is with KTWU's supposed translator tower in Manhattan? My parents usually can't get the Topeka tower, but should be able to get 47. Any word on this being live?
post #2380 of 2382 Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 11
Solid Signal is having a one-day sale on a "long distance" yagi antenna. Today only, $39.99:

http://www.solidsignal.com/Deal-Of-The-Day.asp?txtDDEmail=EMAILADDRESS&utm_campaign=email_dailydeal_darby&utm_medium=email&utm_source=inhouse&location=01

I do not work for SS, I am only posting this here for the benefit of residents of Topeka and other communities that might be interested in pulling in stations from Kansas City or other distant markets. I have no personal experience with this yagi, which claims to receive signals from over 70 miles. I receive KC stations using a grid/bowtie antenna that is no longer manufactured.
post #2381 of 2382 Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Is KSQA 12 still on the air in Topeka? I just noticed their license expired on June 1, 2014 and their renewal hasn't been granted yet.. just accepted but not granted.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ion_id=1619445
post #2382 of 2382 Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlnester View Post
Is KSQA 12 still on the air in Topeka?
It's still on this morning.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List