AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Prism Tv? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/1495207-prism-tv.html)

bobvbc 10-16-2013 12:01 PM

Anyone have experience with the new Century Link Prism system? I have had Direct for year's and wonder how these 2 compare. Thank'.s

jbanker 04-22-2014 02:30 PM

I know this is an old post, but we have had Prism for the past 6 months and all I can say is that it is decent, definitely cheaper than what I was paying for Directv, but you get what you pay for. We have 4 TVs and only two of the 4 can view HD content at the same time, the other two sets have to be in SD. This also applies to the DVR. You can watch 1 HD show and record another HD, but if you have more than two HD streams running, then any other recordings will be in SD. This is due to the bandwidth limitation of the dual ADSL pipeline they use to deliver the service over. The HD quality is pretty good, but not as good as Directv. We have also had intermittent audio issue with digital audio, the sound will drop out occasionally and come back and drop out, its annoying to say the least, so we run most shows in stereo audio and not digital audio to eliminate the problem until they get it resolved. Overall its an ok service, we have combined internet phone and TV and the total bill is about $60 cheaper than we were paying for Directv alone. So overall it was about $150 savings when we combined everything.

bobvbc 05-05-2014 11:13 AM

Hey, jbanker, Thank's for the info, I still can't decide what to do. I was hoping maybe Prism would come up w/ some deal's to get us in the system but so far not much.

Gobi 06-02-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanker View Post

I know this is an old post, but we have had Prism for the past 6 months and all I can say is that it is decent, definitely cheaper than what I was paying for Directv, but you get what you pay for. We have 4 TVs and only two of the 4 can view HD content at the same time, the other two sets have to be in SD. This also applies to the DVR. You can watch 1 HD show and record another HD, but if you have more than two HD streams running, then any other recordings will be in SD. This is due to the bandwidth limitation of the dual ADSL pipeline they use to deliver the service over. The HD quality is pretty good, but not as good as Directv. We have also had intermittent audio issue with digital audio, the sound will drop out occasionally and come back and drop out, its annoying to say the least, so we run most shows in stereo audio and not digital audio to eliminate the problem until they get it resolved. Overall its an ok service, we have combined internet phone and TV and the total bill is about $60 cheaper than we were paying for Directv alone. So overall it was about $150 savings when we combined everything.

You need to get a Fiber optic (FO) feed if you can.

I am recording 4 shows in HD concurrently right now, watching 2 HD recorded shows on 2 STBs and simultaneously downloading at 40 MBps or uploading at 5 MBps (www;speedtest.net). There are no dropouts at all. I am in The Villages Florida, where CL is putting in FO and converting customers from Comcast and DirecTV by the droves. They run FO right into the house to their FO Modem (Calix 716GE-I ONT). That feeds a Technicolor C2000T Gateway hardwired (RJ-45 cable) to the Pace IPH8005 DVR which connects to 1 TV and is the central video storage on a 500 GB HDD. The other 2 TVs are connected via a wireless Cisco ISB7005 STB. A dedicated Cisco VEN401-NA wireless router, hard wired to the gateway, feeds the remote STBs, Wireless to laptops, etc is handled by a WiFi built into the gateway.

This system works like a champ if you have a FO feed.

bobvbc 06-03-2014 10:37 AM

Thank's , Gobi, I have fiber into the house when Century link set me up last fall. I'm just reluctant to change from Direct which I know so well. Look's like maybe I need to switch.

jbanker 06-27-2014 01:06 PM

Just thought I would add a follow up to my original post. My digital audio problem turned out to be the speaker wires from my receiver to my center channel not the prism tv service. The wires apparently got pinched and the problem was intermittent. I replaced the speaker wires and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobvbc 07-10-2014 12:59 PM

Prism!

I just switched from direct to prism and wow what a great system so far. Now I just need time to adjust to the new remote, I'll check back later w/ more info only have this for 2 day's.