Prism Tv? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have experience with the new Century Link Prism system? I have had Direct for year's and wonder how these 2 compare. Thank'.s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know this is an old post, but we have had Prism for the past 6 months and all I can say is that it is decent, definitely cheaper than what I was paying for Directv, but you get what you pay for. We have 4 TVs and only two of the 4 can view HD content at the same time, the other two sets have to be in SD. This also applies to the DVR. You can watch 1 HD show and record another HD, but if you have more than two HD streams running, then any other recordings will be in SD. This is due to the bandwidth limitation of the dual ADSL pipeline they use to deliver the service over. The HD quality is pretty good, but not as good as Directv. We have also had intermittent audio issue with digital audio, the sound will drop out occasionally and come back and drop out, its annoying to say the least, so we run most shows in stereo audio and not digital audio to eliminate the problem until they get it resolved. Overall its an ok service, we have combined internet phone and TV and the total bill is about $60 cheaper than we were paying for Directv alone. So overall it was about $150 savings when we combined everything.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, jbanker, Thank's for the info, I still can't decide what to do. I was hoping maybe Prism would come up w/ some deal's to get us in the system but so far not much.
post #4 of 19 Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanker View Post

I know this is an old post, but we have had Prism for the past 6 months and all I can say is that it is decent, definitely cheaper than what I was paying for Directv, but you get what you pay for. We have 4 TVs and only two of the 4 can view HD content at the same time, the other two sets have to be in SD. This also applies to the DVR. You can watch 1 HD show and record another HD, but if you have more than two HD streams running, then any other recordings will be in SD. This is due to the bandwidth limitation of the dual ADSL pipeline they use to deliver the service over. The HD quality is pretty good, but not as good as Directv. We have also had intermittent audio issue with digital audio, the sound will drop out occasionally and come back and drop out, its annoying to say the least, so we run most shows in stereo audio and not digital audio to eliminate the problem until they get it resolved. Overall its an ok service, we have combined internet phone and TV and the total bill is about $60 cheaper than we were paying for Directv alone. So overall it was about $150 savings when we combined everything.

You need to get a Fiber optic (FO) feed if you can.

I am recording 4 shows in HD concurrently right now, watching 2 HD recorded shows on 2 STBs and simultaneously downloading at 40 MBps or uploading at 5 MBps (www;speedtest.net). There are no dropouts at all. I am in The Villages Florida, where CL is putting in FO and converting customers from Comcast and DirecTV by the droves. They run FO right into the house to their FO Modem (Calix 716GE-I ONT). That feeds a Technicolor C2000T Gateway hardwired (RJ-45 cable) to the Pace IPH8005 DVR which connects to 1 TV and is the central video storage on a 500 GB HDD. The other 2 TVs are connected via a wireless Cisco ISB7005 STB. A dedicated Cisco VEN401-NA wireless router, hard wired to the gateway, feeds the remote STBs, Wireless to laptops, etc is handled by a WiFi built into the gateway.

This system works like a champ if you have a FO feed.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank's , Gobi, I have fiber into the house when Century link set me up last fall. I'm just reluctant to change from Direct which I know so well. Look's like maybe I need to switch.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just thought I would add a follow up to my original post. My digital audio problem turned out to be the speaker wires from my receiver to my center channel not the prism tv service. The wires apparently got pinched and the problem was intermittent. I replaced the speaker wires and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Red face Prism!

I just switched from direct to prism and wow what a great system so far. Now I just need time to adjust to the new remote, I'll check back later w/ more info only have this for 2 day's.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
CenturyLink has run fiber into my neighborhood and the reps came by and want me to switch from Comcast to Prism. Cost is a little cheaper, and the DVR claims to be better than X1. I would appreciate any input from Prism TV users. This is an old thread, but I can't find one newer (perhaps I'm an idiot). I'm tempted to switch, but there's a lot of older bad comments about Prism circulating on the internet. I'd appreciate any current thoughts.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
We've done both

We had DTV. We were dissatisfied with DTV, and were ripe when a Prism salesman came to our door and made us a good trial offer. We went for it. The Prism service was okay, but not as user-friendly as DTV. A DTV salesman called and made us an offer we could not refuse to return. The offer turned out (surprise, surprise) to be not what what was offered. We are now waiting for our commitment to expire. We will go (back) to Dish or go broadcast.
So...it all depends on what deal you can get. DTV was our choice if DTV and Prism are the only two choices.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #10 of 19 Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM

CenturyLink and Prism

I just completed two years with CenturyLink/Prism. I live near Phoenix. I have had Comcast, Cox, and AT&T Uverse. Although I thought that the Prism TV service was fine, the customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. That's the short version. I'll paste my communication with them below if you want to read details. It is letter of complaint that I sent, to which I received no reply. This is a small sample, although it's the worst, of what I went through in the last two years.

I live approximately half of each year in Chicago Illinois and half in Sun City Arizona. Because of a solar installation in my Sun City home I require year around internet service, but only phone and television when I am actually there. In January/February of 2014 I was shopping for a provider and the Prism infrastructure had just been installed in my community. I called about the service and prices, and told the rep on the phone that it was important that I be able to suspend TV and phone while keeping internet when I was not in Arizona. He said that that was probably no problem, but since he didn't seem certain I asked him to double-check. He put me on hold, and when he returned he said that his supervisor assured him that this was possible. In addition, while I was at the Arrowhead Mall in Glendale I saw the CenturyLink kiosk and asked the rep there the same question. He also replied that it should be no problem. In June when I called to put my TV and phone on a vacation suspension, I was told that for technological reasons I would be unable to have internet without also having the phone service. With some difficulty I made alternate arrangements for internet connectivity for my solar installation and suspended all three CenturyLink/Prism services. I mention this only as an introduction to my CenturyLink experience. My major complaint today is below.
On Wednesday, August 19th 2015, from Chicago, I contacted a CenturyLink/Prism representative via online chat to have my services restored on Friday, August 21st. I asked if I would have to call when I got to Arizona and he said that there would be no reason to call and that my services would be on.

We arrived on Friday to find the phone service working, but no TV or internet. I called technical support and, after the customary interactions with the automated system and a wait on hold, spoke to “Stan” who had an Indian accent. He did not seem to understand the issues. He went back and forth, hemming and hawing and putting me on hold, and finally said that I had to speak to Prism technical support. He transferred me. At Prism I spoke to Scott. After a period of back and forth upgrading and rebooting we finally got the TV service working. Although the WIFI was working, I was not getting an internet connection. Scott finally determined that the order had been put in to resume the internet service on Saturday rather than Friday, and that it would be working on Saturday sometime.
It was not working Saturday morning, and since I needed internet access I called again. I spoke to a woman whose name I don't recall, but she may have had a Filipino accent. I told her the situation. She also did not seem to understand. We went back and forth, and at one point when she returned she told me that the call would be recorded. After more fruitless questions and answers she told me that she would transfer me to Prism support. She put me on hold for 10-20 minutes, during which she returned to the line twice to tell me to please continue holding. Then I was disconnected.

Of course I was very angry at this point. I called back and after the customary waits I spoke to a person and explained everything I had been through, and asked to be put through to Prism support. This person was very sympathetic and transferred me. At Prism I spoke to Carolyn and told her my story. She checked the account and told me that the internet was scheduled to be turned on today (Saturday) and asked me to stay on hold while she would try to expedite the order. I was on hold for 5-10 minutes, and when Carolyn returned I had internet access. She told me that since I had been through so much she had pushed the order up. She was extremely sympathetic and apologetic.
On Sunday I was notified by a friend that she had called while I was out but she was unable to leave a voice mail. I used my cell to call my CenturyLink line and was told by a recording that I had to enter a mailbox number. On Monday morning I called support again. After the waits I spoke to someone who told me that I didn't have voice mail service. Since it was part of my service agreement I had him check further and he told me that it had been an error and he placed an order for it to be turned on effective Tuesday (today). I checked this afternoon and it was turned on and I set it up again. I had also asked the technician for an address where I could send a letter of complaint. He put me on hold while he checked and when he came back I was told that the only place was the feedback section of the web site.
I was concerned that with all the order confusion that there might be a problem with billing. I wanted to make sure that I was still paying the same amount. So today, August 25th, I called the customer service number and went through the automated phone choices and held the line for 25 minutes. At that point the recorded ads stopped and there was only a hissing sound. I waited five more minutes (I was invested at this point) and was finally disconnected. I called back, and after about 15 more minutes I spoke to Teresa. I explained my situation and asked what my monthly bill would be. She said that she could only tell that I had the same services and discounts as before the vacation hold and that the bill would probably be the same. With all the issues that I've had I wasn't satisfied with “probably” and asked for a supervisor. Teresa (who had been very nice) transferred me to Grant in Escalation. He apologized for all the trouble I had been experiencing, and told me that Teresa was correct but that the exact amount of the bill could not be determined until it is actually issued. I felt pretty confident from what Grant said that my bill would be the same as before the vacation hold. He was also very sympathetic, and when I asked him for an address for complaints, he did not direct me to the web site but gave me this one which I hope is correct.
So to recap, after giving a two day notice for my services to be restored, I have spent several days and upwards of four hours on the phone trying to get it done. I've had Cox in Arizona and Comcast and AT&T U-verse in Chicago, and nothing I ever experienced with them has come close to being this bad.

PS
August 26th, 2015
I have unsealed my letter to you so that I can add the events of this morning.
I noticed that our on-screen caller ID was not working, although caller ID was working on the phone. I started a chat with tech support at about 9:30 AM. The first tech had me reboot the modem, which disconnected the chat but didn't solve the problem. I tried again. The second tech, Chris K in Boise, transferred me to Prism support. There I chatted with Lendell and went over all the same information. He had me reboot the set top box, which also didn't work. Then he transferred me to advanced support and Amber R. I went over the same information with her, including the fact that the Caller ID had been working up until Monday when the voice mail feature was reactivated. She felt that the problem was that the anonymous call rejection feature had accidentally been activated at the same time, and that was causing the problem, and transferred me to Customer Service. A message there said that I was 19th in the queue. By this time it was 10:47 and I had to step away to the bathroom. When I returned the chat had been terminated. I tried to start a new chat with Customer Service but had to wait for a button to appear on the web page. I finally got through to Niesha S who said she could help me remove the feature but would have to transfer me to the Home Phone Team. We're at 11:41 AM by now. Jared in Boise responded and requested all the same account info. He then told me that the chat had been misrouted and that he would transfer me to the proper department. I then got Carrie F. I explained again. I got a message that I was again being transferred. 11:55 AM. I got Amber R again. She said that she would phone Customer Service. She tried several things. At 12:29 the on screen caller ID began to work. So that's three more hours I spent with CenturyLink/Prism.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-07-2015, 07:33 AM

More....

I cancelled the CL internet and TV in September. In November I received a bill from CenturyLink for over $300 for equipment which had not been returned. I called and the first person I talked to confirmed that the equipment had been returned in September, but it still took several hours of my time to make sure that, since I had autopay, the money was not taken from my account.

Last edited by LubyN; 01-25-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'm using Prism TV and I think it's pretty good. I signed up around October 2015 when the 1GB fiber service was made available in my area via CenturyLink.

My thoughts on the good:
- TV quality is very high when the system is working (see below)
- I can record 6 HD streams at once (mainly because my 1GB bandwidth allows that many)

My thoughts on the bad:
- My DVR is skipping a little (every ~30 seconds there's a slight break in the recording stream). Only happens with recorded TV, not live TV. They're sending a replacement box ("it's not supposed to do that") but it's frustrating to not be able to reliably record shows
- SyFy.com doesn't support Prism credentials. So if your DVR is skipping so you can't actually watch what you recorded, you can't go to SyFy.com and watch it there either. Also not with the SyFy iPhone app. I don't know what other channels are the same, but I know I've been able to log in to ESPN (but not ESPN3) and the MTV app. This patchwork of "you can watch this show on your TV online but not on other devices" is frustrating.

Service has been relatively good, too - the few times I've had to call for whatever reason I've gotten through to the service desk quickly, and they tend to be pretty good at getting answers.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I'm using Prism TV and I think it's pretty good. I signed up around October 2015 when the 1GB fiber service was made available in my area via CenturyLink.

My thoughts on the good:
- TV quality is very high when the system is working (see below)
- I can record 6 HD streams at once (mainly because my 1GB bandwidth allows that many)

My thoughts on the bad:
- My DVR is skipping a little (every ~30 seconds there's a slight break in the recording stream). Only happens with recorded TV, not live TV. They're sending a replacement box ("it's not supposed to do that") but it's frustrating to not be able to reliably record shows
- SyFy.com doesn't support Prism credentials. So if your DVR is skipping so you can't actually watch what you recorded, you can't go to SyFy.com and watch it there either. Also not with the SyFy iPhone app. I don't know what other channels are the same, but I know I've been able to log in to ESPN (but not ESPN3) and the MTV app. This patchwork of "you can watch this show on your TV online but not on other devices" is frustrating.

Service has been relatively good, too - the few times I've had to call for whatever reason I've gotten through to the service desk quickly, and they tend to be pretty good at getting answers.
I've had Prism now for almost 2 yr's and it's impressive. Actually switched my workplace from Cox to CL/Prism 3 Mo. ago. I also got a recient upgrade at home of the software on 3 reciever's that improved everything. I believe this is the way to go.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Damn, in my suburb of 65k people(in a surrounding city of 1M+) 1MB is the best CentryLink can offer me
Wonder how well Prism would work on 1MB......
Whenever I've called them all they can say is, "please try back later, were upgrading areas all the time" of course when I ask for specifics or a time frame, they don't have much to say! Glad others are getting Prism but I'd say they still have a long way to go.....of course that doesn't stop CL from advertising their 1G service ALL the time in my city! CL, please stop wasting your money on advertising and invest in your outdated network
post #15 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Damn, in my suburb of 65k people(in a surrounding city of 1M+) 1MB is the best CentryLink can offer me
Wonder how well Prism would work on 1MB......
I don't speak from personal experience here. But from everything I've heard and read, don't go near Prism without the 1G fiber.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Liked: 12
I'm getting CL 1Gbps installed next week and Prism TV. glad to see some here are happy with it. I'll come back and post more after I've actually used it.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 113
A few notes on Prism TV after having it for ~6 months:

- The skips I was getting in my DVR were due to an internal networking issue in my house (essentially, not enough bandwidth at the DVR). Make sure your network is up to snuff or you may see issues. Now that everything inside my house is a smooth 1GB, I've seen relatively few issues. Occasionally a show will get a little blocky, but it's definitely less common than, say, interference from a storm when I used to have VOOM or DirecTV (satellite providers).
- The max they'll do is 1080i. I would love if they supported 1080p or 4k, but I havent' seen any news that those are in the works. That said, I connect my Prism DVR to my XBox One via HDMI (which upscales to 1080p) and things still look great.
- The channel coverage is great - check the sticky HDTV channel guide and you'll see that Prism is one of the best providers for HD programming.
- Conversely, their support for Watch* or *Go apps is limited. I can watch some content on WatchESPN, for example, but not anything on ESPN3 online. As I mentioned above, you can't watch SyFy online with your CenturyLink credentials. It feels really hit-and-miss. And there's no single source of information that I've been able to find that details exactly which providers are supported, and which aren't.

If I had one request of Prism TV, it would be to add 1080p & 4k support. Otherwise, I'm happy with the service!
post #18 of 19 Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
I am recording 4 shows in HD concurrently right now, watching 2 HD recorded shows on 2 STBs and simultaneously downloading at 40 MBps or uploading at 5 MBps (www;speedtest.net). There are no dropouts at all. I am in The Villages Florida, where CL is putting in FO and converting customers from Comcast and DirecTV by the droves. They run FO right into the house to their FO Modem (Calix 716GE-I ONT). That feeds a Technicolor C2000T Gateway hardwired (RJ-45 cable) to the Pace IPH8005 DVR which connects to 1 TV and is the central video storage on a 500 GB HDD. The other 2 TVs are connected via a wireless Cisco ISB7005 STB. A dedicated Cisco VEN401-NA wireless router, hard wired to the gateway, feeds the remote STBs, Wireless to laptops, etc is handled by a WiFi built into the gateway.
How much does all of that cost a month?? And how much of that did you purchase?

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #19 of 19 Old Today, 03:52 AM

Liked: 1
Really valuable information shared .Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception