Need Antenna Recommendation for Northern Virginia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I would like an antenna recommendation for attic installation (attic first because there is already a coax cable available from there to the tv).

TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae9ea40ec79c  [it's to my actual address in zip 22032 - 2 stations are LOS, the rest are 1Edge or 2Edge]

I was intrigued by the Mohu Leaf Ultimate HDTV Antenna and bought one to try next to the tv (I've had cable for 20 years). It gives me some of the local channels (facing east or north works best, not NE as I expected):

Strong: WTTG 5.1 (FOX), WUSA 9 (CBS), WDCA 20 (MyN), WNVC 30.1 (MHz)

Weak (Often loose signal): WRC 4 (NBC), WETA 26 (PBS)

Very Weak (comes in once in awhile): WJLA 7 (ABC), WHUT 33 (PBS)

There are several "green" channels that I expected to pull in but could not (no matter the placement of the Leaf Antenna).

Since there was an existing coax from the tv to the attic I decided to experiment by putting the Leaf Antenna in the attic. No matter the direction I pointed it (generally NE, trying NNE to ENE) I got poorer results than when it was next to the tv (still got the strong stations but could not pull in weak ones at all). It claims to get a 15 DB gain.

I've looked at a number of antennas, but I'm not sure which one would work best in my circumstance. At a minimum I'd like to get all the DC stations (green and maybe all the yellow). Ideally, I'd like to also pull in the Baltimore stations (about 50 miles). Any recommendations (and can you please state why you recommend one antenna over another)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Antennacraft HBU-22 or Winegard 7694 for DC channels. But for a better chance at Baltimore, step up to HBU-33 or 7696. And the key will be to find a sweet spot to aim antenna between both locations. And possibly add a low gain preamp or distribution amp from Channel Master or Winegard.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Hmmmmm....

The HBU-22 has a 70" boom length, the 33 has an 80".
The Winegard 7694 has a 78" boom length, 7696 has a 99".

I need to go up into the attic to see if there is enough room to place an antenna between 70" and 99" and face it NE.

Question: In my research I came across the Clearstream 2V (C2-V-CJM) and saw it recommended here for some applications. Why did you recommend the -22 and -7694 over something like a Clearstream 2V? Is it because of the larger number of stations being '1Edge'? I'll admit I liked the Clearstream probably for ease of installation (there's enough room to place it and adjust it easily).

Thanks again!

post #4 of 6 Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
1-edge and 2-edge signals don't often play nice in attics due to the layering effects from the signals bending over terrain added to the usual attic gremlins. You'd do best to consider getting the antenna out of the attic and (usually) up in the air. It often takes considerable experimenting with height to get it right assuming that the height doesn't bring other complications.

A C2V would likely do okay for DC stations, but, if you're serious about Baltimore, you're going to have to go big or stay home.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You really should post this in the Washington / Baltimore thread. There are several guys very close to you that post regularly and could give you advice based on their experience. They may not see this thread by itself.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-25-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both ProjectSHO89 and pamajestic for their posts. I'll also post this over in the W/B forum.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page