WABC and WWOR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I subscribe to AT&T U-verse cable TV. Since I reside in Connecticut I have local access to Connecticut local stations along with the majority of New York City local stations. The only two New York City local stations that I cannot receive are WABC channel 7 out of NYC and WWOR channel 9 out of NYC. Although I am in the Hartford-New Haven market area, I am still allowed to received all NYC local channels with the exception of WABC and WWOR. When I tune into either one of these two channels which are channel 17 or 1017 and channel 19 or 1019 on the AT&T U-Verse cable channel lineup, I get a message stating that these two channels are not available in my area. Yet when I go to the AT&T cable TV website under my zip code 06779, it states that these two channels are available in my area. Can someone please tell me why these two channels are blocked out and the reason for it? What can I do to get these two channels or who can I contact to request that these two channels be available to the CT Hartford-New Haven market area? Is it AT&T not wanting to offer these channels or is it WABC and WWOR not wanting to offer their signal to this area or is it an FCC restriction that these two channels cannot be available in my area? Please explain. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why not start by calling Uverse customer service? Or go to the Uverse users forum and post a question there.
http://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-U-verse-Community/ct-p/attuverse
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I have called them a number of times and no one really knows why. They referred to possible license agreements but it really doesn't tell me why those channels are blocked out. Who would be responsible for such license agreements? Would it be AT&T or the television stations? I also posted a request on AT&T's website to request that these two channels be added but no response from AT&T.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your zip code is part of the Hartford/New Haven DMA, legally there is nothing AT&T can do to add these channels. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this since I am by no means an expert on this.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I don't believe that is entirely true. My zip code is part of the Hartford-New Haven DMA and I am receiving all other New York City local channels with the exception of WABC and WWOR along with my Connecticut local channels. I don't think AT&T has anything to do with this as they are allowed to provide all the remaining New York City local channels to my local zip code area which is in the Hartford-New Haven Market area. Something is blocking these two channels and it has to be that WABC and WWOR do not want their channels broadcast in the Hartford-New Haven market which I find difficult to believe, or AT&T has not negotiated a contract with these two stations, or there may possibly be a cable television restriction by the FCC regarding marketing areas for cable coverage regarding certain networks or channels. It has to be one of these reasons. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be interested in knowing what it really is. I do receive WTNH channel 8 out of New Haven which is an ABC affiliate for Connecticut and WCTX channel 59 or (MY 9) out of New Haven which I believe is a Fox affiliate for Connecticut or owned by FOX. Let's assume that the ABC network is blocking the ABC signal out of New York City to Connecticut.. At the same time, WCBS which is the flagship station for CBS out of New York city, WNBC which is the flagship station for NBC out of New York City, and WNYW which is the flagship station for FOX out of New York City, I don't see WCBS out of NYC being blocked by WFSB CT CBS affiliate out of Hartford, or WNBC out of NYC being blocked by WVIT CT NBC affiliate out of Hartford or WNYW FOX out of NYC being blocked by WVIT FOX out of Hartford. Something is stopping the ABC network signal out of New York City from being broadcast in the Hartford-New Haven Connecticut market area.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I believe out of market stations must have Significantly Viewed status in order to be carried. And those stations negotiate a contract with the service providers for retransmission fees. So perhaps WABC and AT&T could not agree on a contract, or the DMA rules did not allow for Significantly Viewed status for ABC. I never quite understand these DMA rules, which can seem somewhat arbitrary. So it may be necessary to install an outside antenna to receive all of the major NYC channels.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM

From the Signicantly Viewed Rules at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-24A1.pdf, page 38
Quote:
APPENDIX B1

Significantly Viewed List (as of December 7, 2004)

The stations listed below are “significantly viewed” in the relevant counties and/or communities as
indicated. The stations are listed by state and subdivided by the county in which they are significantly
viewed. Stations added on a community-by-community basis after 1972 are listed at the end of each state
next to the community in which they obtained significantly viewed status. The station listing includes the
current (and former) call signs, as well as the analog channel number and city of license. Stations with a
plus sign (+) under individual counties are those stations added to the list after the publication of the
Commission’s original 1972 list. See Reconsideration of the Cable Television Report and Order, 36 FCC
2d 326 (1972). Stations listed with a pound sign (#) have been the subject of application of the
Commission’s exclusivity rules and are subject to programming deletions in the indicated communities.
and then on page 79:
Quote:
New Haven
WFSB, 3, Hartford, CT (formerly WTIC)
WTNH-TV, 8, New Haven, CT (formerly WNHC)
+WTXX, 20, Waterbury, CT
+WVIT, 30, New Britain, CT
+WCTX, 59, New Haven, CT (formerly WBNE)
+WTIC-TV, 61, Hartford, CT
WCBS-TV, 2, New York, NY
WNBC, 4, New York, NY
WNYW, 5, New York, NY (formerly WNEW)
#WABC-TV, 7, New York, NY7

#WWOR-TV, 9, New York, NY (formerly WOR)8

WPIX, 11, New York, NY
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page