Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is my tvfool report for where I live in Sachse

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b9400a7c698ca

I am (forced) retired and live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. I need to reduce monthly expenditures so I am going to "cut the cable"-- but I'm having some problems receiving local TV channels.

Here are the details:

- I live ~25 miles NE of downtown Dallas and apparently "all" local broadcast towers are ~12 miles SW of downtown.

- Our 'main' local channels are 4, 5, 8, 11 and 13 and these are the ones I definitely want to access all the other uhf channels that are comming thru are just a bonus.

- Due to our neighborhood and appearance I would like to keep the antenna in the attic

The problem is that so far, I cannot get all these channels at the same time, mainly channels 5, 8 and 11. That is, I can turn my antenna just a little and pickup all but 8 or turn it again to get 8 and lose 5 and/or 11.

The antenna that I purchased and am using is the Antennas Direct C2 which is supposed to be an omni-directional antenna so it seems strange to me that a small direction adjustment affects signal strength so much- unless I am at the distance limits for this antenna? I do see that this Antennas Direct C2 is advertised as a UHF- not VHF antenna.

I am very willing to purchase a different antenna- but need to be a sure as possible the next one will solve my issues?

Any ideas?

R. Dave Scott, Sachse Texas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The first thing you need to know is that the channel numbers now have no relation to the RF frequency. KDFW still calls themselves channel 4 but they broadcast on RF channel 35. WFAA is the only station in your list that is still on a VHF frequency. (Look at the"real" column in the TV Fool report.)

I don't know for sure what antenna you have but a quick search turned up antenna patterns here:

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-Long-Range-Indoor-Outdoor-HDTV-antenna.html

These show that it is far from omni-directional so pointing it in the correct direction is important.

As is the connection to the TV. You didn't mention how long that cable is, what type of cable, or if you have an amplifier.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page