SAP in English - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57

Am I the only person who is dissapointed that so many of the English stations cater to the hispanic crowd with With SAP en Espanol, but that it is not reciprocated, I have never seen a Spanish station with SAP in English. They play so many good movies on them, it would be great to just be able to switch to SAP for the original English soundtrack. Grrrrr.

Hopefully this trend is going to change, I really wish I could remember the channel, but I caught the beginning of one of the Spanish networks own shows, and saw a SAP in English in the upper right corner. Now I really have to figure out the SAP on my TV.

Am I the only English only speaker who would actually watch some of the Spanish network shows if there was SAP in English, or are there others out here who would also. I really hope this is the beginning of a trend, some of the game shows are entertaining enough to leave the tv on for a few, even if I cant understand it. I know there are some things I would watch. 

It seems like it would be so easy to run the original English soundtrack on movies etc, as an SAP feed, and that they would be able to increase viewership simply by doing so.

SAP in English would open up more channels and shows to me, am I the only one, or are there others out here who would watch like me if this feature was utilized?

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Spanish-only rights are cheaper than English+Spanish rights, so those networks usually just buy the cheaper Spanish-only rights.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Spanish-only rights are cheaper than English+Spanish rights, so those networks usually just buy the cheaper Spanish-only rights.

- Trip

Wouldn't the increased viewership increase the revenue? Thereby making the increased costs a moot point?

Josh
post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When MundoFox launched last year quite a few of their police/action teleseries from Colombia were broadcast with English subs. I found them quite addicting. Another program, a thriller-crime type anthology series, Tiempo Final was also subbed. It still airs but no longer with subs. Mid-day, they aired a few Korean soaps dubbed in Spanish but subbed in English (better viewed with the audio turned off,btw). Half a year or so, later MundoFox stopped airing any programs with subs as far as I'm aware of. One series I was following (Tres Milagros) was dropped in mid series, much to my chagrin. Maybe complaints from Spanish-speaking viewers?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

Wouldn't the increased viewership increase the revenue? Thereby making the increased costs a moot point?

I suspect most English viewers bypass the Spanish channels entirely, removing them from guides and channel listings. It would be really hard to get English-language audiences to tune in for some single show, especially when they then have to figure out how to turn on SAP. Either using a button on the remote, or (on some TVs or boxes) by navigating the menus.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

SAP is easy on the TV in my office, but I'm still trying Figure out sap on my living room TV, both are LG.

Josh
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What about for hard of hearing English persons, want to watch Closed Captionings in English. I just wish FCC would mandate CC-1 for English and CC-2 For Spanish since I won't have to switch every time I changes channels!! Sick of PC stuff!!tongue.gif
Theducksfan2010 likes this.

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Actually, CC-3 is preferred for Spanish, but many sets only do CC-1 and CC-2.

CC-1 and CC-3 are "high payload", suitable for full language, whereas CC-2 and CC-4 are "lower payload", with only about half the capacity. They are more suitable for programs with less verbiage.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #9 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XZS View Post

What about for hard of hearing English persons, want to watch Closed Captionings in English. I just wish FCC would mandate CC-1 for English and CC-2 For Spanish since I won't have to switch every time I changes channels!! Sick of PC stuff!!tongue.gif

Same here..I like to watch and read "news" with CC while having my tunes on..smile.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page