DIY OTA Antenna Greensboro, NC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey, ya'll

Thanks soooo much for this forum! Hope it's OK that I'm starting fresh with a new thread. It looks like things are constantly changing, and I'd like to build an attic antenna that'll work well for a good while, if that's possible.

The black curve to the left in my TVFool report is the range of must-have channels. What would ya'll recommend (I'd spend $30 for a commercial antenna, but I have lots of antenna-appropriate stuff in my basement!) ?

Can anyone tell me about the 3 PBS channels I marked with black dots? Will that get me the regular, MX and EX channels?

Thanks in advance for all the help I know is coming!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is already a Greensboro forum. I am sure this will be moved there. WUNC and WUNL are the same. WBRA is from Virginia and, unless you have a low-VHF antenna, you probably won't get it. Both stations will get you all three subchannels. I don't receive WUNL where I am, but I do receive WUNC, it's my strongest signal.

4-1 and 26-1 UNCTV HD
4-2 and 26-2 UNC Kids
4-3 and 26-3 UNC EX
post #3 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ejb1980. I'm new to all this, so I might take a while to catch on to all of it.

I notice the WUNC you get doesn't include the MX part, where they often air re-runs of popular series on TimeWarner Cable. Is MX even available OTA?

Also, reading for several hours on AVS, the DIY antenna stuff is very old, and some folks have said those setups no longer work for them. I went back 2 years on the Greensboro thread without success. Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
UNC-MX is only on cable.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoober44 View Post

Thanks, ejb1980. I'm new to all this, so I might take a while to catch on to all of it.

I notice the WUNC you get doesn't include the MX part, where they often air re-runs of popular series on TimeWarner Cable. Is MX even available OTA?

Also, reading for several hours on AVS, the DIY antenna stuff is very old, and some folks have said those setups no longer work for them. I went back 2 years on the Greensboro thread without success. Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

I have no idea how to build an antenna. I wouldn't even know where to start.

UNC-MX is only on Time Warner. All of the OTA channels around here have subchannels, except the My's. You've probably seen AntennaTV, MeTV, WeatherNation WFMY2, etc on cable. They are all there OTA, too. There are actually some some subchannels OTA that are not on cable at all. I am happy with the OTA selection I have, although NBC is tough for me in Burlington. WXII doesn't show a blip and WNCN receives cochannel RF interference (think two radio stations on the same frequency, like the mess on 92.3). I get WFMY (CBS, WN), WUNC (PBS) , WRAL (CBS/This), WGHP (Fox/Antenna), WTVD (ABC/LWN), WGPX (The 4 ION channels, QVC, HSN), WCWG (CW/BNT/Estrella/Bounce), WLFL (CW/Zuus Country), WUVC (Univision, Unimas, Bounce, GetTV), WLXI (TCT group), WMYV (MNT), and WRAZ (Fox/MeTV nearly flawlessly. WNCN (NBC, Antenna), WRDC (MNT), WXLV (ABC/Zuus Country), and WGSR (Independent LP) take effort and prayer. WDBJ (CBS/MNT), WSET (ABC/RTV/WN), and WUNL (PBS) take much prayer and usually acceptance of failure.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anyone else around your area able to get WXII? That must suck.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Is anyone else around your area able to get WXII? That must suck.

Some do, some dont. My friend in Greensboro can get WTVD and WUVC, but no WXII. They have no NBC at all. I have Directv, as well, and WXII is obviously clear as a bell on there. Well, except for when Directv's stupid NBC glitch strikes. Anyway, as for OTA, even in regard to radio, I am in a bad spot for those towers.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How about WSLS for NBC? I know it's adjacent to WXLV, which could make things difficult, but it might be possible. I remember visiting friends northeast of Greensboro in Guilford County in the days of analog and 7 and 10 were as clear as any of the locals.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Argh! Sounds like ya'll have hassles, and that's why I'm trying to plan my cable cut ahead of time.

Technically, an omni-directional antenna placed in your window should work, but I tried one and returned it.

Looking at my TV Fool report, I'd have to have at least an attic-height antenna to get all the local channels I'm used to watching. Even if I settle for just the ones in the green zone (window height), they're all in different directions, so I'd be fooling with it all the time - front window, back window, up 3 feet, ad nauseum.

I'm gonna try one of these (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-High-Performance-Indoor/Attic-Dtv-Antenna) with a long cable so I can carry it to different spots outside the house and see what happens. That should tell me if the attic mount will work without a motorized rotor.

I'll report back, prolly after April 15th :D

post #10 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do not use an omni directional antenna. What TVFool cannot show you is that reflections cause multipath (in analog, this would appear as "ghosting") and that multipath can prevent reception. You will definitely want to have a directional antenna to minimize those reflections.

Given your signal levels, I would argue aiming your antenna at WXII would get you the best results, since the stronger signals from the other stations are likely to still be usable even with the aim being off. You don't need WUNC if you can get WUNL, which helps, and WGPX/WGSR should be plenty strong enough despite the odd direction.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #11 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your clarity, Trip. As one reads advice all over the internet trying to figure out what to do, everything gets pretty confusing. That one little nugget, "aim it at WXII" is a big help.

If you have the time and inclination, a couple more questions:

-The DB8 says it's multi-directional; does that mean it's not JUST bi-directional, as I thought all bow-tie antennae are?

-Looking at my TVFool results with a DB8 (or substitute I'm considering building) indoors instead of the attic, do you agree it looks problematic? (Feel free to use that in a song...) I'd put it on a wall that faces directly west behind 2 bookcases, and there would be 3 walls between it and a window facing directly west. But it would shorten the cable run from almost 40' to about 10'. (Edit: I'm using the height of the bottom of the antenna for TVFool - is that correct?)

post #12 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's the issue for me. If I aim at WXII, it must go through a hill, which explains why I can't get it. I have never gotten WSLS OTA.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoober44 View Post

Thanks for your clarity, Trip. As one reads advice all over the internet trying to figure out what to do, everything gets pretty confusing. That one little nugget, "aim it at WXII" is a big help.

If you have the time and inclination, a couple more questions:

-The DB8 says it's multi-directional; does that mean it's not JUST bi-directional, as I thought all bow-tie antennae are?
-Looking at my TVFool results with a DB8 (or substitute I'm considering building) indoors instead of the attic, do you agree it looks problematic? (Feel free to use that in a song...) I'd put it on a wall that faces directly west behind 2 bookcases, and there would be 3 walls between it and a window facing directly west. But it would shorten the cable run from almost 40' to about 10'. (Edit: I'm using the height of the bottom of the antenna for TVFool - is that correct?)

Let's see here...

I don't know why the DB8 says that, unless that's the model that lets you aim half one way and the other half the other way. It's a pretty directional antenna, as I recall.

TVFool assumes that you are outdoors at all times. Without knowing what your house is made of, I would suggest that you should knock 20-30 dB off any numbers TVFool gives you for an indoor antenna. The walls likely have wires, pipes, and nails or screws that will impact your signal long before it gets from the window to your antenna, not to mention any radiant barrier insulation or other things that may be in the walls. I would take the 2 dB of line loss (if that) over the 20-30 dB of building loss any day of the week. You could certainly try it, but I wouldn't count on receiving WXII or WUNL with that setup, and you will likely experience multipath-related dropouts on at least some of the other stations. I have an anecdote that I repeat way too often about using the same antenna inside and looking out a window, and then again directly outside that same window, and the difference between the two was night and day. The person now has a home-made antenna mounted right outside that window, a mere 4 feet above the ground at 50 miles, and gets perfect reception.

Receive antenna height should be center of the antenna, but in the real world, a 1 foot height difference doesn't matter, and your predictions probably don't either. If it was 10 feet versus 30 feet, that would matter. 8 feet versus 9 feet won't.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14 of 22 Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11

I've had mixed luck with WXII. I live near Asheboro/Randleman and when I can get it to lock in it usually stays but all in all it's been the holy grail channel for me. Every other local comes in loud and clear with consistent 90-97% strength. I miss having NBC as that's the bulk of my late night programming I watch.

BTW: I have it aimed give or take a deg. straight to their xmitters magnetic direction. Lined it up just for WXII's coordinates which is 326.1 mag N from my antenna which is a DB2 variant appx 10 ft from the ground.

I've tried DB4 style antennas but the gains were minor compared to the extra size & weight of the DB8. All homemade DB2 & DB4 antennas.

post #15 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Except for WXII and WUNL, you are within 10 miles of all the Triad TV stations. Those towers you see between the Randleman and Level Cross exits on 220 have WGHP, WFMY, WXLV, WMYV, WGWC and WLXI on them. From Asheboro if you cant get them, you have a SERIOUS antenna or receiver issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbzArtist View Post

I've had mixed luck with WXII. I live near Asheboro/Randleman and when I can get it to lock in it usually stays but all in all it's been the holy grail channel for me. Every other local comes in loud and clear with consistent 90-97% strength. I miss having NBC as that's the bulk of my late night programming I watch.

BTW: I have it aimed give or take a deg. straight to their xmitters magnetic direction. Lined it up just for WXII's coordinates which is 326.1 mag N from my antenna which is a DB2 variant appx 10 ft from the ground.

I've tried DB4 style antennas but the gains were minor compared to the extra size & weight of the DB8. All homemade DB2 & DB4 antennas.
Have you tried receiving WCNC from Charlotte on RF22? They are NBC Charlotte. Don't know if that may be possible, although it may be easier to get WCCB and WSOC from Charlotte in Asheboro.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM

I haven't tried WCNC yet but will this weekend. Maybe the lack of mountains between me and that NBC affiliate will make up for the further distance (about 20 mi). I'm currently building a DB8 style per mclapp's specs and make use of the unused chimney on my house to mount it. Hopefully the combination of longer elements, longer phase lines & added height will help out.

Thanks for the suggestion tylerSC. I've gotten so single minded trying to receive WXII I totally overlooked the other possible NBC's.

post #18 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't tried WCNC yet but will this weekend. Maybe the lack of mountains between me and that NBC affiliate will make up for the further distance (about 20 mi). I'm currently building a DB8 style per mclapp's specs and make use of the unused chimney on my house to mount it. Hopefully the combination of longer elements, longer phase lines & added height will help out.

Thanks for the suggestion tylerSC. I've gotten so single minded trying to receive WXII I totally overlooked the other possible NBC's.
That DB8 type may work, but I have had best long distance UHF reception with a 91XG. And a preamp.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 PM

Buying a $100 antenna isn't currently in the cards. I do however have a full workshop, pvc and various wire so it's all DIY for me for the moment.

I may be misunderstanding the functions of preamps but don't they only help push the signal through long cable lengths? I remember reading and being told if the signal isn't good the preamp will only help getting that bad signal to the receiver without the cable capacitance causing further signal loss.

post #20 of 22 Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a similar, cheaper version of the 91XG from Solid Signal. And I cannot receive the Charlotte channels without a preamp, or Asheville. Except WBTV. Preamp will help weak signals pass thru the cable run.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Any recommended preamps models?

Thx

post #22 of 22 Old 05-24-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any recommended preamps models?

Thx
The Kitztech 100 with adjustable gain is very good for dealing with weak or fringe signals, as it has a very low noise figure. The adjustable gain is important as you want to avoid overload from strong nearby signals when you are trying to receive the weak signals. But you will need o add an FM trap from Radioshack in the line, as it does not have a built in filter. But another good choice may be the Winegard LNA-200, which reportedly has good filtering, although there is a bit of a dispute over the stated noise figure. And there is a low priced RCA preamp sold on Amazon for around $25 which actually gets good reviews for a decent noise figure and overload resistance.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception