Anybody getting WLNY - TV 55 OTA in Manhattan?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My simple rabbit ears appear ineffective at pulling in WLNY - 55.  I wonder if anyone in Manhattan has been receiving it?  I live in an apartment building.  Would an amplified antenna do the trick, or is that station too far out?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
WLNY is 55 miles from Manhattan. You'd need a very good (long range) UHF antenna aimed to the east and you'd need to be a good number of stories up in the air with a clear line of sight back to the east to have an chance at it.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am on the 12th floor, but my windows face north.  I do have a terrace but was hoping some type of indoor antenna would work.  What do you think?

post #4 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think that if you don't have the prerequisite signal path that I described, your odds are minimal.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post

I am on the 12th floor, but my windows face north.  I do have a terrace but was hoping some type of indoor antenna would work.  What do you think?

I assume this thread will eventually get merged with the NYC OTA thread, but to offer some experience from the year of the flood...

When I was in college 20 years ago, Start Trek: TNG was in re-run syndication in every market except NYC, because WPIX Ch 11 had exclusive rights, and would only show new episodes once a week. WLNY TV55 showed Star Trek, The Next Generation, every weeknight.

At my folks place on LI, I got TV55 on the cable system. But with Manhattan Cable, ST: TNG was pre-empted for syndex reasons with Magnum PI, in order to protect WPIX.

A college buddy of mine lived in a new dorm building in the East Village with an east facing window. We threw an old UHF bow-tie out the window and were able to pick up Channel 55. It wasn't perfect (some mild snow), but it did the trick.

You need the height and the Line of Sight. It has been done. It probably can be done. Heck, I've read that people with high south-facing windows have been able to get Philadelphia TV, which could be a godsend come football season.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.  So am I to assume that in this case, antenna amplification (my initial question) makes little or no difference compared to the line of sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

I assume this thread will eventually get merged with the NYC OTA thread, but to offer some experience from the year of the flood...

When I was in college 20 years ago, Start Trek: TNG was in re-run syndication in every market except NYC, because WPIX Ch 11 had exclusive rights, and would only show new episodes once a week. WLNY TV55 showed Star Trek, The Next Generation, every weeknight.

At my folks place on LI, I got TV55 on the cable system. But with Manhattan Cable, ST: TNG was pre-empted for syndex reasons with Magnum PI, in order to protect WPIX.

A college buddy of mine lived in a new dorm building in the East Village with an east facing window. We threw an old UHF bow-tie out the window and were able to pick up Channel 55. It wasn't perfect (some mild snow), but it did the trick.

You need the height and the Line of Sight. It has been done. It probably can be done. Heck, I've read that people with high south-facing windows have been able to get Philadelphia TV, which could be a godsend come football season.

Cheers!
-Doug

Thanks for the response.  So am I to assume that in my case, antenna amplification (my initial question) makes little or no difference compared to the line of sight?

post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses.  So am I to assume that in this case, antenna amplification (my initial question) makes little or no difference compared to the line of sight?

Line of sight is key. If you have almost no signal an amplifier isn't going to boost nothing. 100 times 0.1 is still a very small number.

What is on TV55 that you cannot get elsewhere? When TV55 showed Jeopardy! and Wheel an hour early, I could see the want...
post #8 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Line of sight is key. If you have almost no signal an amplifier isn't going to boost nothing. 100 times 0.1 is still a very small number.

What is on TV55 that you cannot get elsewhere? When TV55 showed Jeopardy! and Wheel an hour early, I could see the want...

Me likes the occasional movies they show.  Also an option for a mid evening newscast at 9 PM.  And since I cut the cable, I want the option of everything I can get OTA.

I am not sure what happened when WCBS-2 took them over.  I used to get 55 OTA when it was simulcast on another channel (the channel number escapes me now, but not channel 10) but this stopped when CBS took over.  I think they reassigned that frequency to something else - perhaps they were required to as a condition for the takeover.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Me likes the occasional movies they show.  Also an option for a mid evening newscast at 9 PM.  And since I cut the cable, I want the option of everything I can get OTA.

I am not sure what happened when WCBS-2 took them over.  I used to get 55 OTA when it was simulcast on another channel (the channel number escapes me now, but not channel 10) but this stopped when CBS took over.  I think they reassigned that frequency to something else - perhaps they were required to as a condition for the takeover.

When CBS bought WLNY, they did not buy their translator at Channel 45, (WMUN-CD). The translator was sold to someone else (CBS didn't need it), and the programming went away. One would have hoped that CBS would have put WLNY on a new WCBS-DT3 or something... but that never happened.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

How about WLIW channel 21?  Any chance of getting that OTA in Manhattan?  They do broadcast from a location closer than WLNY, but I cannot get it with my rabbit ears.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

How about WLIW channel 21?  Any chance of getting that OTA in Manhattan?  They do broadcast from a location closer than WLNY, but I cannot get it with my rabbit ears.

No chance of getting WLIW in Manhattan. When it was still analog, it came in snowy in parts of the east side of Manhattan. Now that it's digital, it reaches parts of eastern Queens. They are by the way finally going HD in the next 30 days.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I get WLIW 21 OTA from New Jersey

I actually do receive WLIW 21-1, 21-2 & 21-3 from across the river in New Jersey. I am currently using a Stellar Labs 30-2440 UHF/VHF antenna in conjunction with a Channel Master 4221. Both antennas are combined with a 2500MHz high quality splitter. I am also using two 25dB boosters daisy chained together. Both boosters have gain control and one has an FM trap. All equipment is located inside my apartment, so there is no direct line-of-sight to the transmitter.

Conventional wisdom would indicate that using two 25dB boosters linked together would cause an overload, and result in a bad or no picture. This is true with analog signals. But with digital signals, the extra booster, as I discovered, actually helps pull in more channels, so long as the gain controls on both boosters are NOT turned all the way up. If one booster's gain is set to maximum, the second booster's gain should be set to no more than low to medium.

The end result is that I can pull in WLIW 21 about 90% of the time without dropoffs or pixelation. The other ~10% of the time, I can't get any reception at all. I guess it depends on the weather.

As far as WLNY 10/55 goes, not a chance! The only solution for that is to call up WCBS TV, tell them to stop being so greedy, and piggyback WLNY 10/55 on virtual channel 2-3.

Hope this helps.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Liked: 0
Personal results from Manhasset, NY (northwestern Nassau), with rabbit ears+loop and amplifier, I catch neither WLNY nor WLIW. I do, however, receive WMUN. Unfortunately, WMUN's schedule is as follows:

1pm-1:30pm - PBS Kids shows
1:30pm-2pm - "Local News," if you could call it that, really just an interview with a random area person of very slight importance (today it was somebody from a New Jersey eye surgery center)

All the rest is informercials.

Note: my antenna is pointed west, so that may be a problem. but I still prefer the new york channels to those of connecticut or the island.

Last edited by mod50ack; 07-09-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page