Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4216 Old 02-04-2003, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WWL-DT is CBS from New Orleans broadcasting on 36-1, remapped to 4-1. I have received it on some of the cold, clear nights that we have had recently. I have the Mitsubishi/directv (Hughes E86?) with a fairly standard outdoor antenna at my roofline (single story house on pilings) here on the beach-- no obstacles out here! When WEAR-DT first came on the air, I did receive some poor quality signal, but, as I said, it has gone. Tonight, I have some signal strength but no picture/no sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4216 Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 PM

WEAR has made its plans for digital TV very clear. On their website:

http://www.weartv.com

it states that they intend to offer an adequate digital signal as early as March 2003, but they have no intention to offer HDTV at any time in the future. In fact, they state that they don't expect the analaog to digital transition to end in 2006 but no sooner than 2010. Perhaps we will get ABC HDTV then. And, perhaps I'll watch WEAR in 2010-- if I'm still around!
post #273 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

rray32539,

Is the antenna you're referring to (that's on sale) the one on THIS page with the 160" boom?

I bought that one when it was on sale for about half price a year or so ago. I've never been able to get decent performance with it but in my case it's probably due to not enough height and trying to aim through trees.

p.s. I've lived in this area since 1956. The whole time I've been here, WEAR has always been a piss poor sorry excuse for a TV station in every respect. So it's no surprise to learn what they're attitude is about HDTV.

Bob
post #274 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the RS VU190 with the 160" boom and it works perfectly for my location. I am 30 miles from the towers and with minimal trees. I have it mounted about 25 foot high. I get all stations with excellent reception except WEAR/3. I get about a 42 signal strength on WEAR, but no picture. I will not watch any WEAR programming analog or digital until they add HD. I sent their station manger an email back in December and he did NOT even have the courtesy to reply. He and his company both suck. I will also send ABC a complaint and encourage them to cancel WEAR's franchise. DO NOT WATCH WEAR/3.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #275 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 02:11 PM

Other than the fact that WEAR is owned by Sinclair, I am wondering why they appear to have more financial concerns than the other stations in the market. In Pensacola, WEAR is our only choice for ABC, but it would appear that in Mobile, WLOX (Channel 13 from Biloxi) might be an effective competitor. A question for any Mobilians in the forum: Which is the predominant ABC station in Mobile-- WEAR or WLOX?
post #276 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I know a lot of people in Mobile. WEAR is by far the predominant ABC station. The people that live in west mobile would get WLOX better
than WEAR, now that is if we are talking about OTA. I'm not sure but I think
that cable has both. I have a friend that lives just north of Mobile and he can't get WLOX ota. He has D* and ota but he is going too cable later on this year. [for HD]

Bobby Ray
post #277 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was at Rex TV in Car City this afternoon looking at HD RPTV's. The salesman is telling customers that Cox Cable will have some HD channels available in March. Is that BS?

Bob
post #278 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

No, Cox sent me an email in response to my request for information in early January, stating that they would be offering HD in March. I am just waiting to see what channels and how much is the cost. Only one more month.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
post #279 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Hi all! I live in Pace and I recently bought a Mitsu. WS65311, a Samsung DirectTV STB, and a Panasonic prog. scan DVD. Anyway...I hurried to get everything delivered, took a day off to install the equipment and antenna for the Super Bowl. Sadly, I discovered the day before that our wonderful local morons (WEAR, of course) have decided not to bother providing HD for their customers. The concept of not supplying programming until there is significant market penetration of HD equipment eludes me. Why would people spend thousands of dollars on equipment when there is no programming? I'm sure you all understand, but I made sure to send letters to WEAR, ABC, and all 5 FCC Commissioners. I did actually get a short response from one of the commissioners. At any rate, I'm very disappointed and more than a bit agitated about their short-sightedness. Ok, I've vented enough for my first post. :-D Thanks for listening!

Graham
post #280 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Richard,

I'm convinced that all my reception problems are because of the trees. I love trees so can't bring myself to cut any down. But I probably should since I like good TV too.
It's no doubt probably about as good an antenna as can be had for the money. It's working good for Jerry and others and Jerry aint gonna steer you wrong. Go for it.

As far as a display for HD, there's all of a sudden so much available that it's starting to actually look like a buyer's market (even for a cheapskate like me). 4:3 HD RPTV's are now priced locally for as low as $1200. And not much more to get into the 16:9's. But what I'm seeing is the performance is all over the board. And I'm seeing that it's not necessarily true that more money equals a better set.
I'm in the market for one that will do RGB as well as component so I can feed my HTPC to it too.

Bob
post #281 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If you read some of the other posts on the AVForums, DVI may be the most important thing to have on a new HDTV. My Mit: does not have it. Before this year is out mine may be a 480P tv no 1080i.

Bobby Ray
post #282 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yea, I've been thinking about that too. We all want to believe that a hack will bail us out like always but that's starting to look more and more like a pipedream. Boy I'm sure not looking forward to that day when my CRT projector won't do HDTV anymore.

This afternoon I almost bought the 51" Sony with DVI priced at about two grand. But hell I just started looking. I'm not needing to buy one impulsively so I'm going to kick all of em's tires before I get out my checkbook.

Bob
post #283 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

My son lives in N.C. and is getting a Toshiba 42H81 [I think that is the number] this weekend and it has DVI. He reads the posts on the AVForums and is convinced that DVI is coming. He could have got one for $200 less with out it. 2002 without 2003 with it.

Bobby Ray
post #284 of 4216 Old 02-06-2003, 07:35 PM

You might want to check out the Panasonic plasma displays. I've had mine for over a year now and the SD and HD picture is excellent. The price continues to come down as you will see if you read the plasma forum. Dell runs some great specials as do several other online dealers.

No regrets here.
post #285 of 4216 Old 02-07-2003, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

A little late to the WEAR party here but in Ft. Walton and points east its possible to get WMBB-ABC in Panama City. After WMBB gets their HD equipment on-line I intend to fire off email to WEAR telling them that they are no longer the ABC station I watch because I got something better. Cox in FWB was still in the dark on any HDTV last time I checked, but when it comes, I intend to lobby COX to include WMBB, which they don't carry in FWB, as the HD ABC station.

With luck, maybe the FWB market which WEAR has a lock on from COX's carry policies, may appear shakey to WEAR and they may jump on the HDTV bandwagon a little sooner.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #286 of 4216 Old 02-09-2003, 12:12 PM

Good news, my 82 yr old grandmother asked me to help her get a HDTV. She said she's putting the spending limit at 2000 bucks. Since she is old and will have a hard time learning any new equipment..i really want a tv that already has the tuner built in. 42inch minimu size. Also she lives in far west Mobile, i think with the right atannae she can get ABC out of Biloxi?

Also, i'm gonna get her to dump her comcast cable and get her on with directv. So if i do get her a HDTV monitor..i guess i need a directv/hdtv combo box.
post #287 of 4216 Old 02-10-2003, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just got a message from Lowell Beckner, Chief Engineer at WMBB-ABC in Panama City:

Quote:

Regarding HD, we are in the final stages of installation and testing and I hope to have it fully operational by the end of this month. All of the ABC HD equipment has been installed and we're working with microwave issues at this time.

He doesn't mention any plans in increase the power from the current STA 36kW from a 1435 foot tower, which was my other question. For those of you getting DTV channel 19 right now, only three weeks to the end of the month and ABC HDTV!

Rick Steverson

post #288 of 4216 Old 02-10-2003, 11:54 AM

I'll believe it when I get a HD signal. They have given me 12 different dates since September of 2002. Less than 2 weeks ago they said by 2/15/2003.

Someting will happen once again.

Bob H

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Zenith 60inch Plasma
Sony HD200
post #289 of 4216 Old 02-10-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hondo if you will go back a few pages you will see where Rick had a post
telling about a accident they had with the antenna. Rick has been on top of
this since day one.

Bobby Ray
post #290 of 4216 Old 02-10-2003, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Bobby, Hondo may be referring to WMBB in Panama promising to be HD by Feb. 15. The antenna accident was with WTVY in Dothan. I can understand his frustration, as both stations have had promised dates slip. I try to stay positive, but I got WMPI-NBC and WSRE-PBS in HD, at least. Hondo has absolute zero for OTA HD for the two DTV stations that he can pull in.

Anyway, last I heard from WTVY was a month ago?? They hope to have their antenna back for another attempt about March 16. Keep those fingers crossed, Hondo, all's WTVY has to do to get the antenna installed and all's WMBB has to do is get their microwave link from station to tower working and maybe, MAYBE!!! you'll finally get some network HDTV

Rick Steverson

post #291 of 4216 Old 02-11-2003, 03:07 PM

Question, In west Mobile what type of antanna should i get? Putting it outdoors isn't a problem. I only want to pull in the Mobile locals..don't really care about Biloxi
post #292 of 4216 Old 02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

The RS vu190 is on sale for about $50. It is a big long distance antenna. Usually costs $100.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
post #293 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe it just my STB, but WSRE-DT has no audio for the past week when it switches to the HDTV programming or loop after 7 pm. You guys have the same problem?

Rick Steverson

post #294 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I've had the same problem.
post #295 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I just send an email to Roland Phillips at WSRE, maybe that will help.

Rick Steverson

post #296 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 08:36 AM

Rick, I started having the no audio problem back in December. Since nobody else seemed to be having the problem I assumed it was the DTC-100 and just watch the national feed instead.

Bob H.
post #297 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 11:26 AM

Robert,

When you say the national feed, do you mean broadcast affiliates on Dish or DTV?
post #298 of 4216 Old 02-13-2003, 02:35 PM

I've had no problem with the WSRE-DT audio. (Mits SR-HD5).
post #299 of 4216 Old 02-14-2003, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,, beachrez.

I think we got a coding problem at the station again.

When I first got my STB, WSRE would drop out completely, no audio or video, when they switched to PBS HD feed at 7 pm. Bob Hunzeker had no problem with his DTC-100 so I thought my STB was bad until I heard from either trich (Bobby K) or Cinder that they had the same problem for a couple of months. This was about Feb or March last year. Turned out that the PSIP code, or something, was not setup correctly. Some boxes would fail, others could care less. Worked with the station engineer and he got the problem straigthen out.

Checking in during the day I see the lack of audio is there all the time.

And Bob Hunzeker,. I watched a show about sea life under the polar ice caps a few weeks ago. Last show I know I watch without problem.

Rick Steverson

post #300 of 4216 Old 02-14-2003, 11:32 AM

Rick, its wierd, at first I had no problems with the DTC-100, seemed to be ignoring the PSIP info. Sometime in December the audio started to quit when they switched to HD. I checked last night and still no audio on the DTC-100, I'll try it on the Hipix tonight and see what happens, not very motivated to figure it out since they turn on HD after Smart Travels anyway, my favorite eye candy on PBS.

Michael, the national HD feed is on Ku-band satellite and runs 24/7 it is watchable with a UM or Integra receiver.

Bob H.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page