Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 4210 Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But this would be better than Birmingham, because Birmingham is currently the only city in Alabama has ION station O&O.

Look at the callsigns on channel 35, WFGX. That can fit for ION (PAX).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Media_Networks Scroll down to the bottom and see WFGX is list, is that's true?

We have a very hard time trying to get WDPM-DT up here currently.

Okay, first is V-me, second is TBN Enlace, and now, CTNi. What's next, WSRE will carry the time share of NHK World or it will be Azteca América.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4210 Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WFGX was never owned by ION (or, as it was known back then, Paxson) as per FCC records. Why it says that on Wikipedia, who knows.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3693 of 4210 Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Depending on how true WFGX used to carry on Wikipedia. (We know we grew up with out 35 in here until last year.)
post #3694 of 4210 Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Liked: 10
Well Dish customers, it's time to dig out your antennas if you want to watch FOX 10 and WFNA...no agreement was reached and the stations look like they've been pulled from Dish Network.

Knowing what an excellent signal WALA puts out, West Mobile viewers might want to aim their antennas for Gulfport to try and pick up FOX 25 on channel 48.

As for everyone else, I hope you have a good antenna!
post #3695 of 4210 Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Boss just called me on it. My answer was switch to Directv. Dish can tell you they are saving you money all they want, but they have more problems with this than anyone, and I wont use them again...
post #3696 of 4210 Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Boss just called me on it. My answer was switch to Directv. Dish can tell you they are saving you money all they want, but they have more problems with this than anyone, and I wont use them again...

Amen to that!
post #3697 of 4210 Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post
Amen to that!
No... don't get me into DirecTV. LOL!!! Because I don't like it, because this fall, they dropped G4 from their lineup. And that's why Dish is better.

Because I need G4.
post #3698 of 4210 Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm curious if anyone is on Riviera Cable in the Foley or surrounding areas and is having DVR issues tonight. Apparently our cable went out for a short time or the power blipped and it caused our DVR to lose contact with the cable system. For a time I was able to watch recorded content but someone suggested a reboot (it's a buggy POS anyway, so an unplug and restart is pretty much a weekly occurrence). Now it not only doesn't pick up any channels, but we're locked out of the recorded content.

The strange part is the other TV in the house, which is directly connected to cable with no box, is now showing channels again. But the DVR is saying there's no service or signal.

Any ideas? (Besides taking a back hoe to the neighbor's trees so we can have a real competent TV service from the sky again.)
post #3699 of 4210 Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post

No... don't get me into DirecTV. LOL!!! Because I don't like it, because this fall, they dropped G4 from their lineup. And that's why Dish is better.

Because I need G4.

I don't care for G4, especially after their owners at Comcast purchased TechTV, combined both services under the name G4techTV, fired all of the employees at the TechTV offices in San Francisco, California, rehired some employees for the G4 offices in Los Angeles, and renamed the network G4, which no longer focuses on video games or technology.

Quote:

I'm curious if anyone is on Riviera Cable in the Foley or surrounding areas and is having DVR issues tonight. Apparently our cable went out for a short time or the power blipped and it caused our DVR to lose contact with the cable system. For a time I was able to watch recorded content but someone suggested a reboot (it's a buggy POS anyway, so an unplug and restart is pretty much a weekly occurrence). Now it not only doesn't pick up any channels, but we're locked out of the recorded content.

There is no need for such negative language.
post #3700 of 4210 Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post

I don't care for G4, especially after their owners at Comcast purchased TechTV, combined both services under the name G4techTV, fired all of the employees at the TechTV offices in San Francisco, California, rehired some employees for the G4 offices in Los Angeles, and renamed the network G4, which no longer focuses on video games or technology.

Plus, they dropped Golf Channel too. But I'll trust them again if they bring both channels back in the future. I only watch Attack of the Show. Also, it use dto be a interesting and awesome channel until 2007 or 2008 though.
post #3701 of 4210 Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post

There is no need for such negative language.

But it's the truth. I've used or worked with a few other DVR models, from DirecTV, Dish, TiVo and Brighthouse Cable and none of them have been this problematic.

I'm going to see on Monday if they have another model available.

I'm just really disappointed in having a cable company that seems to live up to all the negative stereotypes of cable companies. No customer service (just an answering service on the weekends), unreliable service, few HD channels, no VOD, no cable internet, no modern equipment.

Unfortunately it's the only choice the family has at the moment. So yeah, I'm gonna use some negative language. Negative language is how we discuss problematic situations. If a device is garbage, I'm gonna call it like I see it. And this Pace DVR is garbage.

I'm sorry if you're offended by an abbreviation.
post #3702 of 4210 Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Plus, they dropped Golf Channel too. But I'll trust them again if they bring both channels back in the future. I only watch Attack of the Show. Also, it use dto be a interesting and awesome channel until 2007 or 2008 though.

Is it really gone? That'd be a dealbreaker for my family. My father's a huge golf fan and watched Golf HD regularly. It's still listed on DirecTV's website and there's nothing on DBS Talk about it getting pulled that I can find.
post #3703 of 4210 Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Is it really gone? That'd be a dealbreaker for my family. My father's a huge golf fan and watched Golf HD regularly. It's still listed on DirecTV's website and there's nothing on DBS Talk about it getting pulled that I can find.

Mmm... I rarely like golf. But on Dish Network, they pulled 3 Disney/ABC owned channels from their HD lineup and leaving the SD feed last year.

Oh... Few hours ago, I had called LIN TV to hear the reason why they removed FOX10 and WFNA from their local channel lineup and they said it was expired and I don't think their not coming back for a LONG time. Oh well.:-( Now on antenna TV for those channels and WKRG is better.:-p Sound like LIN's going to have complaints on that though.
post #3704 of 4210 Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mmm... I rarely like golf. But on Dish Network, they pulled 3 Disney/ABC owned channels from their HD lineup and leaving the SD feed last year.

Oh... Few hours ago, I had called LIN TV to hear the reason why they removed FOX10 and WFNA from their local channel lineup and they said it was expired and I don't think their not coming back for a LONG time. Oh well.:-( Now on antenna TV for those channels and WKRG is better.:-p Sound like LIN's going to have complaints on that though.

Especially considering how hard it is to get WALA… I can just about see the TV towers from where I live and Fox 10 is difficult to get, even worse during a thunderstorm.
post #3705 of 4210 Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I just checked, and DirecTV is still carrying Golf Channel & Golf Channel HD. As far as I know, it's not going anywhere anytime soon from DirecTV unless Comcast plays hardball.
post #3706 of 4210 Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Hey... WKRG has broadcasted CBS daytime programming but... They don't have the power to turn them in HD...?
post #3707 of 4210 Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey... WKRG has broadcasted CBS daytime programming but... They don't have the power to turn them in HD...?

This post refers to the network programs delayed for broadcast later due to the station broadcasting Mardi Gras parades live.
post #3708 of 4210 Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well Dish customers, it's time to dig out your antennas if you want to watch FOX 10 and WFNA...no agreement was reached and the stations look like they've been pulled from Dish Network.

Knowing what an excellent signal WALA puts out, West Mobile viewers might want to aim their antennas for Gulfport to try and pick up FOX 25 on channel 48.

As for everyone else, I hope you have a good antenna!

I just woke up to the fact! Looking for this week's episode of Glee on my DVR and didn't find it..... FOX is gone!

How did I miss this? I don't even remember any annoying screen crawls warning me to threaten DISH or else.

Way the hell over here in Fort Walton FOX 10 is just about impossible to get with an antenna. Their coverage actually dropped with the DTV transition. And last I checked, Panama City's FOX was too weak to make to my neighborhood, as well.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #3709 of 4210 Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM

This is not a positive development for any of us consumers. I have Directv, so I am not affected- at least on this contract go- round. But they will be back: the networks, the local stations, or both of them in tandem, to extract the last dime they can, all to the total detriment of the consumer.

My belief is that cable providers and satellite providers ought not to have to pay a dime for carriage of local stations and their network fare. Remember, their transmission of these programs is to the same market area that is covered by the over the air signal. These providers are doing the originators of the programming a favor by giving viewers in the market a better signal in many cases where osbtructions and other obstacles impair over the air signals, or use of a conventional antenna is not practical. And the transmission includes all the programming sold by the local and networks advertisers that they have already been compensated for by the people who bought the ads, and you better believe they use audience numbers that include every cable and satellite viewer on which the charge for the ad is based.

I am fully aware that the laws have changed to allow these new extractions of cash. But remember, the ultimate payor is you and me, not the cable or satellite provider. The cost will always be passed along to us. Always. Guaranteed.

Now, these observations are restricted to network programming broadcasted over local stations. Retransmission of out of area stations and satellite and cable only services like ESPN are another matter, but since the cable and satelllite providers are the orginal "broadcasters" if you will of these programs, the same argument does not apply.

Nor am I an apologist for the cable and satellite providers. They have to be watched for price gouging also.

But these empty, bougus, and totally unjustified re-transmission charges for local and locally carried network programming are and have always been my pet peeve. Someday, the nets and the local affiliates are going to crack the tolerance zone for these shake downs and begin to drop off the satellite providers carriage list, permenantly. They ought to realize that many consumers are not going to bother putting up an antenna. They'll just lose portion of the audience. Dwindle, dwindle, dwindle. I have no sympathy for them. None whatsoever.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3710 of 4210 Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post

Way the hell over here in Fort Walton FOX 10 is just about impossible to get with an antenna. Their coverage actually dropped with the DTV transition. And last I checked, Panama City's FOX was too weak to make to my neighborhood, as well.

Sorry to say that FWB is a real no man's land for FOX OTA, as both WALA and WPGX are on RF channel 9. WPGX has a construction permit to boost power a good bit, but still seems to null signal towards the west due to WALA. Either way you're gonna be outside both stations' 36 dBu contour.

It looks like your only recourse for now will be watching Fox programming online, if you have a new enough computer (it just about won't play on my old beast.)
post #3711 of 4210 Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Anyone have problems with CSI Miami about 3 weeks ago (Im 3 weeks behind on DVR's)?

I had the Spanish language coming thru on my fronts, and english coming in over the center, was the weirdest thing I ever heard.
post #3712 of 4210 Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It looks like your only recourse for now will be watching Fox programming online, if you have a new enough computer (it just about won't play on my old beast.)

There's always chance of switching providers, but I have personal distaste for Cox so that leave only Direct, and still in the middle of a contract period after a "free" equipment upgrade with Dish.

Really only watch three programs from FOX, House, Glee, and Bones As my television and a laptop have HDMI, I'm streaming from the FOX website while I wait for some resolution between the two companies. FOX streaming isn't too bad; definition is so-so, but there's no commercial breaks.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #3713 of 4210 Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Anyone have problems with CSI Miami about 3 weeks ago (Im 3 weeks behind on DVR's)?

I had the Spanish language coming thru on my fronts, and english coming in over the center, was the weirdest thing I ever heard.

WKRG apparently had a problem with the network feed when the show aired 3 weeks ago...enough to make a mention on their website and on their 10pm show.
post #3714 of 4210 Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:

WKRG apparently had a problem with the network feed when the show aired 3 weeks ago...enough to make a mention on their website and on their 10pm show.

Gotcha, I am about 3 weeks behind

I just deleted it, no way to watch it like that.
post #3715 of 4210 Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/about_us/...ission-dispute

Looks like LIN & Dish Network reached an agreement.
post #3716 of 4210 Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone notice that Fox 10 signal strength increased during the time that it was off Dish. My signal strength for Fox 10 was 77 before the removal, but was 100 while off of Dish. It just shows that they have the capabilty for more power, but just do not use it. It has already dropped to 97, since the return to Dish Net. Probably will be 77 by end of week.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #3717 of 4210 Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

I was prepared to post a “you're crazy, that's crazy” response, but I just turned on my bedroom TV and found that WALA went from 40% a few days ago to 0% today.

And I'm in Foley!

Everything else except WDPM is still 100% so maybe you're onto something. I got WALA up to 80% now with some antenna tweaking, but it's definitely in a different position that it was last week. Weird.

For what it's worth, they can't (or shouldn't) just increase power willy-nilly without FCC approval. There have been no special temporary authorities filed, so the power should have stayed the same. Also, with WPGX in Panama City being on the same RF channel (9) I don't think there's any room for a power increase.

Speaking of Panama City, WJHG is licensed for RF channel 8, but has a permit to move to 7. I suppose WALA could move from 9 to 8 and max out power, that might help. I don't think there are any other nearby digital stations on 8.
post #3718 of 4210 Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Changes in atmospheric conditions regularly wreak havoc with station reception either positively or negatively, and this effect is most pronounced in the Gulf region.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3719 of 4210 Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

WALA has been at 77 signal strength at my house for ever until it was removed from Dish . Say whatever you want, but that is my story and I stand by it. Maybe they should be reported to the FCC, for not running at full power.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #3720 of 4210 Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, they can't (or shouldn't) just increase power willy-nilly without FCC approval. There have been no special temporary authorities filed, so the power should have stayed the same. Also, with WPGX in Panama City being on the same RF channel (9) I don't think there's any room for a power increase.

FCC rules require a station to maintain a power level of 85% to 110% of licensed power. As long as they are within that range, they are legal.

Quote:

Speaking of Panama City, WJHG is licensed for RF channel 8, but has a permit to move to 7. I suppose WALA could move from 9 to 8 and max out power, that might help. I don't think there are any other nearby digital stations on 8.

8 actually looks pretty decent, though they'd have to watch for possible interference concerns regarding WDAM-7 Laurel MS.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page