Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4209 Old 03-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by trich

Both channels should be fine now. We have it working great with our DTC-100 and our precision IRD.

Joe

That isn't exacxtly right........
I have the Samsung TS-160 HD DTV receiver. When I tried to scan in the WB-55 Digital channel the guide put the WB-55 on my 10-1 listing and I do not have a Digital channel 10. The Guide still displays all the programming for DT 10 but it brings up 55.

Anyone care to share the e-mail address for Joe @ WALA??

Thanks J C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4209 Old 03-01-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is Joes e-mail add:
addalia@wb18.com

Send him a e-mail Monday. He's a nice guy and he will answer you.

I have two boxes and one has WB on 55.1 and Fox on 10.1.
The other one Has WB on 9.2 and FOX on 9.1. and they are both Sonys.
Go figure...................................................... ......

Bobby Ray
post #363 of 4209 Old 03-01-2003, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe does not work in Mobile, he works in central Florida.
He works for something like 8 Fox and WB stations from
New Orleans to Florida.

Bobby Ray
post #364 of 4209 Old 03-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have 10-1 and 55-1 working now. No program info for 55 or 55-1 though. Bobby do you have program info?
post #365 of 4209 Old 03-01-2003, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

No, all it says is regular schedule.

Bobby Ray
post #366 of 4209 Old 03-03-2003, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody watch WMPI-NBC last night during Law & Order: CI and Boomtown? I had a lot of pixelation breakup about every 1-3 minutes. Got so bad I switched to cable. In comparation, WSRE was perfect during this time.

Bob H (Hondo):
WMBB-ABC in Panama City promised HDTV date has past us by again. I email the station today to check on progess. Maybe before hell freezes over

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #367 of 4209 Old 03-03-2003, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes Rick I the same thing. I checked my signal strength and was not getting any variations with my signal. I was still getting breakups so it must have been NBC.

Bobby Ray
post #368 of 4209 Old 03-03-2003, 03:07 PM

WMBB

RICKRS

I don't believe that hell will ever freeze over with this crowd. My family used to own Channel 33 in Anniston, AL now Channel 33/40 out of Birmingham. If our engineer had had this track record he would not have lasted 30 days. These people are a joke. I will be interested in hearing their excuse this time.

The next projected date is for WTVY in Dothan. Currently saying March 19. Guess they didn't commit to a year though. Might be 2004, 2005, or 2006.

I am aware I am negative about these issues. I believe I have the right.

Bob H

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Zenith 60inch Plasma
Sony HD200
post #369 of 4209 Old 03-03-2003, 05:47 PM

Is anyone in Mobile or Pensacola (besides me) having a problem getting both Fox 10 and WB 55????????

When I scanned in WB-55 my Sammy put WB-55 on channel 10-1 and dropped Fox completely.

Am I the only lucky one in the area???

Thanks J C
post #370 of 4209 Old 03-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Rick:

I'm in Mobile and I routinely get 5, 10 & 15 perfectly. Pixelation on NBC was really bad last night, I switched to analog to be able to at least see the program.

J C
post #371 of 4209 Old 03-04-2003, 04:47 PM

It's been a while since I last posted. Now have a RCA DTC100 on a Sony HD 53 using a new Channel Master rotor and 16 ft. mast. Reception has been great for the last month but now getting bad drop out of 10-1 while signal strength stays about 95 to 100%. 5-1 at 88% looks good. Thought my problems were solved. Any ideas? Thanks.
post #372 of 4209 Old 03-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just got an email from Joe Smith at WEAR/TV-ABC. They have the antenna mounted on the tower and should be complete in about two weeks. That is a higher power digital picture, but not HD. They currently will make no promise on ever having HD.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish VIP722K HD DVR receiver w/ external HD
Dish VIP211K HD receiver w/ ext HD
Yamaha RX765 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #373 of 4209 Old 03-05-2003, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Jerry,

This is the antenna on their ~1900 ft tower?

Has Joe Smith stated what power level they will broadcast at? I find it hard to believe it will start at the FCC approved 1 megawatt level what with their foot dragging.

Rick Steverson

post #374 of 4209 Old 03-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

No, but they are at 680 watts now, so it is bound to be an improvement.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
post #375 of 4209 Old 03-06-2003, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news and bad news.
I asked Jim Richardson was WKRG going to show all four days of the Masters in HD and this is his answer.

Hey Bobby, yes we will carry in HD. We will not however, be able to carry
the NCAA Basketball games in HD. It requires special switching we do not
have at this time.

JR

Bobby Ray
post #376 of 4209 Old 03-06-2003, 08:34 PM

Just to add some info regarding cox and HD.

Their main HDTV guy is flying in this week from Atlanta. He is going to be pimping their product...I am a partner for their Internet product..and my contact at Cox is supposed to be taking him around town..I keep pestering him for more info..should have something soon.

Supposedly they have it all up and running in their labs, I am trying to get a peak...

Can i upgrade my 486 to something over a gig?
post #377 of 4209 Old 03-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Cox replied to an email that I sent them and said that they would have only HBO & Showtime in HD initially. They are negotiating with locals and Discovery HD for carriage. One of the locals said that Cox does not want to carry the full signal of the locals is the hanging point. I am not sure if that means the 1080i or just the sub channels.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
post #378 of 4209 Old 03-08-2003, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

hardwarephfreak posted in the older Mobile/Pensacola/Ft Walton thread so I just quoted his post to bring it to this one:
Quote:

I passed this thread onto the guy at Cox (Kent) who has been meeting with ???? HDTVs top guy. He tells me a good bit of stuff in confidence so I dont feel right about sharing the info just yet...especially since he said he would be posting here. He did confirm that the majority of the local stations are going along kicking and screaming. Apparently ABC, is about the last station he expects to get over to DTV or HDTV. I want to say he started laughing when I asked about them He said that someone from All Pro Sound gave them a call about this, and apparenly the guy he talked to was LESS than informative, and...hmm..how should I phrase this...not technically competent in his opinion. Right now Cox is negotiating more national HDTV channels (other than Discovery). Don't ask me which though, wait till he starts posting.

I can't remember who and what station they were referring to, but someone here posted about hoping to get Cox Ft Walton to drop a feed from local station and pick one up from Panama City. Kent basically said the stations are absolutley crazy about thier "area" or "turf" for lack of better terms (my words not his)..He said it is next to impossible for them to do that.

I will now shut up and wait for him to drag his butt in here and start posting.

Rick Steverson

post #379 of 4209 Old 03-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

If you passed "This thread" along to the guy at Cox and you posted in an "old" thread. We may never see the info. How about passing the current thread along to the guy.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
post #380 of 4209 Old 03-09-2003, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

jerry,

I sent Hardwarephreak an PM suggesting he redirect Kent from Cox to this thread, instead, so hopefully he will get that.

Also, rray (Richard) from Crestview had bumped the old thread. I sorry if I offended rray, I understand you were only having the best of intentions on moving the older thread up the list. Most all of us on this thread use the "thread subscription" feature and don't scan the list looking for our local thread anymore. There is a PM for you from me.

Rick Steverson

post #381 of 4209 Old 03-09-2003, 07:10 PM

Was anyone able to get Law & Order in wide screen tonight??
Mine was in 4:3 format on HD channel. Boomtown is in wide screen.

J C
post #382 of 4209 Old 03-09-2003, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

post #383 of 4209 Old 03-09-2003, 11:43 PM

Damn, I can't remember which thread I linked him to, I may have just posted in the wrong one...at any rate..I'll see him on Monday..I'll make sure he gets the right one.

Can i upgrade my 486 to something over a gig?
post #384 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 08:03 AM

Hi all, noob here

I'read this great thread and have got some good info. Here's my situation and want some advice/guidance if you guys could spare a few minutes to reply.

I am in Mobile, off of Snow Rd. My best estimate is that I am about 35 miles away from the tower @ Wilcox Rd. I have a 49" Panny HDTV and have been drooling to finally make the jump into DTV/HDTV. I am a DirecTV subscriber so I am leaning towards getting a new DirecTV reciever that can also handle OTA for me as well as getting DirecTV's HDTV channels.

First, I want to do this an economically as possible. One of the cheapest HDTV recievers I've seen is the Hughes from Bestbuy for $499.00. ANy opinions on this or can someone recommend something else.

Secondly, Antennas. I've done some research but still need guidance. I live in a restricted neighborhood so a 20 foot big antenna is out of the question for me. I was looking into a Terk 55 but don't know if that will cut it or if I should go with a big conventional antenna and try to put it in my attic. And recommendations on this?

Lastly, What are our locals stations like in DTV/HDTV? In particular, I'm talking about:

WEAR
WKRG
WALA
WPMI
WJTC
PBS

Is all that I want to do even worth investing right now? I definitely have the time and this is a hobby of mine but don't want to sink $1000 bucks into this and have marginal returns & or shoddy reception. (Especially when trying to convince the wifey that this is a necessity, har, har, har).

Any info from you guys would be absolutely great. I've called a few local stations and if you don't get to talk to an engineer, the others seem to be idiots. I called one station which I will not say, and asked the kind lady if they are currently broadcasting digital stations now and she said yes, they've been doing it for years. I said, "really...." "what channel?" SHe told me that her 'comcast digital cable' is great! LOL- I told her, no, no, no...I mean OTA digital TV, you know, HDTV? So was baffled at my questions.....
post #385 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 10:03 AM

Good news for you.

The Federal Communications Commission has pre-empted governmental and homeowner association restrictions on certain types of antennae, including outdoor TV antennae.

Here is the web site that explains more:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Should you be threatened with action from the homeowners association, just show them this publication. They can contact their lawyer who will tell them they do not have a case, unless you have an antenna that falls outside of guidelines or your home is registered on the National Register of Historic Places.

As for available digital television signals in your area:

WKRG-DT
WSRE-DT (after 7:00 p.m.)
WPMI-DT
WALA-DT
WJTC-DT

WEAR-DT will only broadcast an upconverted digital signal of its analog broadcast. Their entire video chain will remain analog until it goes to the transmitter. ABC digital and high definition will NOT be available from WEAR.

A Terk MAY work in your area, but I think it would be stretching it a bit. Try a Channel Master, Winegard, or even a Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. WALA-DT is on VHF channel 9.

Enjoy.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God, Macintosh user since 1995.

Richard Lawrence Ray
Armed Forces Network 1983-1996
post #386 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

BDHost, i sent you a PM.
post #387 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

BDHost,

As stated before, all these stations have DTV transmitters.
As far as what's in HD, here's the line-up

WEAR - Has no HD transmissions, waiting for "market penetation" of consumer HDTV equipment to justify going to full HD. May be years from that. Currently, you possibly can't receive the DTV transmission because the signal too weak to get out of the cow pasture where the tower is located. WEAR is working to install a new tower and transmitter, power unknown, to replace the 8 kilowatt weaklyn they are using now.

WKRG - Fully HD capable. You will get the full CBS HD experience, you lucky dog! Almost all the regular shows are HD.

WALA - You get Fox Widescreen, but no HD. This is a FOX network thing, they don't want to go to HD, not the local station's idea. In fact, I think they have HD capability already.

WPMI - Fully HD capable. You get NBC's HDTV. Not as many shows in HD as CBS, and the quality varies from poor to outstanding. Boomtown is one that has outstanding HD quality.

WJTC - No HD equipment, no HD shows

PBS - You should get WSRE from Pensacola. Fully HD capable. In the day they multicast 2 channels, their regular program and a FLA state eduational feed followed by PBSYou. After 7 pm, they broadcast whatever is piped in on the PBS national HDTV feed and drop the regular programming. There has been lots of nights were it a endless cycle of ~4 hours of "HD Demo" shorts. PBS also uses a mix of non-HD widescreen and HD material when they do have real programming on. Quality is good, some non-HD widescreen looks almost as good as HD.

Regard of what programming is on a DTV station, reception is super! I'm in Ft. Walton, so only WPMI, WSRE, and WJTC are within reach on a regular basis. But what I get is clear and sharp, no fade, no snow, no drop-out. Better picture than cable.

Rick Steverson

post #388 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

BDHost, if I could get only two HD channels it would be CBS and HDnet.
You already have D* so you will get HDnet free. CBS is free so get the
Hughes. Sometimes this year [maybe by the 30th of March] you will get ESPN HD. I must warn you after watching HD it is hard to watch analog.
Go for it, life is short.

Bobby Ray
post #389 of 4209 Old 03-12-2003, 04:51 PM

Mr. West,

Sorry I was unable to be at the station today, I was once again in Baldwin county.
By the way, we are having PSIP generator problems on CH. 47 and I am having to
ship the unit back to the manufacturer for repairs so there will only be static PSIP
info for the next 3-5 days.

If you'd like to pass this lack of PSIP info along to the AVSForum site, go ahead.

Regards,

Tim Reid
post #390 of 4209 Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 AM

Thanks all for the great responses. Cinder, I got your PM and really appreciate the info. I will respond to ya when I get more time. One more question:

My Panny 47" is HDTV capable, but I do not think it does 720p. Will my reciever upscale automatically or what? The only reason I know it doesn't support 720p (besides the manual saying so) is that I rented an XBOX game that was outputting in 720p and all I got on my screen was garbage unless I turned off HDTV capabilites in my XBOX
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page