Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 4213 Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok...it's been well over a month now. Any progress on getting WALA & WFNA back on Mediacom?

How long did the WEAR spat with Mediacom last back in 07? LIN may be working on a record here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4213 Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Remember, this is the age of the YouTube video... 21 looks great compared to some of the junk uploaded to the internet! Expect to see more picture degradation over time. No one strives for perfect anymore, just 'good enough'.

Yepp, and as someone who cares about quality, this bothers me.
post #3873 of 4213 Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM

One person up the tower for each sub- channel? We would have to gather an army for Channel 21!

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3874 of 4213 Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Anyone else having picture issues on Bounce TV? (WFNA 55.2) I've tried it on 2 of my HD sets and both converter boxes and despite a near 100 percent signal on all, the picture has blocking effects and glitches every few seconds.
post #3875 of 4213 Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

Anyone else having picture issues on Bounce TV? (WFNA 55.2) I've tried it on 2 of my HD sets and both converter boxes and despite a near 100 percent signal on all, the picture has blocking effects and glitches every few seconds.

Yup. Been that way since they launched. Either they can't fix it yet or they don't care.
post #3876 of 4213 Old 10-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Ive also seen a lot more blocking on 55.1 this season, very annoying.
post #3877 of 4213 Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Ditto on Bounce.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3878 of 4213 Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Those of you who can rx Fox 10 OTA, how large of an antenna do you have?
Since Comcast did the forced digital "upgrade" they have been doing once a week channel changes back and forth to wkrg and retro. Fox 10 moved but I think it is stable now. I have both a cable internal and OTA external tuners for my WMC setup. Rather than hope that Comcast will stop meddling, I started moving WMC over to the OTA tuner. All is well with WKRG again but I can't get FoX. I am using a dinky Radio Shack Rabbit Ears so I know I need to get something better. Any suggestions for getting Fox back? I may just drop Comcast all together if I can get my OTA working like it should.

Thank you...
post #3879 of 4213 Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Where are you located?

Near the Pensacola airport, I can receive Fox 10 (broadcasting on VHF channel 9) using a full-sized outdoor antenna, about 12 ft high, mounted to a railing on the second floor. So, the antenna is about 30 feet above ground. I cannot receive it using rabbit ears either on the first floor nor the second floor. I cannot receive it with rabbit ears on Pensacola Beach.
post #3880 of 4213 Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrez View Post

Where are you located?

Near the Pensacola airport, I can receive Fox 10 (broadcasting on VHF channel 9) using a full-sized outdoor antenna, about 12 ft high, mounted to a railing on the second floor. So, the antenna is about 30 feet above ground. I cannot receive it using rabbit ears either on the first floor nor the second floor. I cannot receive it with rabbit ears on Pensacola Beach.

Thanks for the info. I am in west mobile ...thinking of putting something in my attic. The rabbit ears were a temp solution and just for emegencies, now it looks like I am going to have to do something . I can get their sister station, just not Fox proper.
post #3881 of 4213 Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchb View Post

Thanks for the info. I am in west mobile ...thinking of putting something in my attic. The rabbit ears were a temp solution and just for emegencies, now it looks like I am going to have to do something . I can get their sister station, just not Fox proper.

As I mentioned, WALA is broadcasting on a VHF channel (9) while the 'sister' station is broadcasting on a UHF channel. Comparing reception issues is like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.
post #3882 of 4213 Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could you put the rabbit ears in the attic and see how that works? Height is almost as magical an elixir to this problem as the size of the antenna.

I've also got a pair of rabbit ears, amplified, that sit behind the living room TV as a backup for when cable goes out. I get everything BUT Fox 10 there, and can raise it up to about 12 feet off the ground to get it at 70%.

If you're lucky, the attic may be enough if you have a good line of site to Baldwin County.
post #3883 of 4213 Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrez View Post

Where are you located?

I am within a few miles of virtually all the towers. I live in Spanish Fort. But I'm down in a hole, surrounded by tall pines, and that hurts reception. I have used the Channel Master Eight Bay 4228 in my attic, pointing pretty much due East, and I get good reception on just about all the locals. I have the old, discontinued 4228, the new model, I think is called the 4228HD. Some of the reviews have said the new is much worse than the old. The good thing about the old 4228, is that it's gain extended into the VHF high band range, which would be what you would need for Channel 9. But if you can get an acceptable picture with just rabbit ears in the attic, the 4228 would be overkill of a high magnitude.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3884 of 4213 Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Mediacom customers can rejoice...WALA and WFNA are back up on Mediacom!

As for Comcast and DirecTV customers...we'll see what happens when it's re-negotiation time with LIN, becuase their track record has been ugly with Brighthouse, Dish and even a close call with COX a few months back.
post #3885 of 4213 Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Could you put the rabbit ears in the attic and see how that works? Height is almost as magical an elixir to this problem as the size of the antenna.

I've also got a pair of rabbit ears, amplified, that sit behind the living room TV as a backup for when cable goes out. I get everything BUT Fox 10 there, and can raise it up to about 12 feet off the ground to get it at 70%.

If you're lucky, the attic may be enough if you have a good line of site to Baldwin County.

Yes I could with more cable. But if I go to the trouble shouldn't i just get a slightly better Ant? What is a good decent antenna for the attic? Nothing fancy. Also can any of you get a station in Pascagoula called wkfk ch 7? I know it's a long shot but just wondering as they have Retro which WKRG dropped recently. Thanks.
post #3886 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I could with more cable. But if I go to the trouble shouldn't i just get a slightly better Ant? What is a good decent antenna for the attic? Nothing fancy. Also can any of you get a station in Pascagoula called wkfk ch 7? I know it's a long shot but just wondering as they have Retro which WKRG dropped recently. Thanks.

I can't speak to antenna recommendations but I can say that WKFK has a permit to raise their power a good bit, which will extend their coverage east and west. I think the primary contour will at least make it to Grand Bay so in the future you may have some luck with them. They're moving to channel 13 IIRC.

WKFK is, for some strange reason, on Riviera Cable here in Foley and it is RTV 24/7 as far as I can tell. No program guide, though, as it's on channel 24 "Leased Access".
post #3887 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I may not be able to receive programming from WKFK-TV due to my location (midtown Mobile) and my use of indoor antennas, but the use of their main channel and sub-channels gives me an idea of what could be done for WFGX-TV. For example, WFGX-TV could be broadcasting "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" from ThisTV on a sub-channel while the main channel has "Enjoying Everyday Life with Joyce Meyer" before the station broadcasts "Mona the Vampire" on both the main channel and the sub-channel.

Quote:

WKFK is, for some strange reason, on Riviera Cable here in Foley and it is RTV 24/7 as far as I can tell. No program guide, though, as it's on channel 24 "Leased Access".

According to the programming guide on the World Wide Web site for WKFK, all programs from the Retro Television Network (RTV) are broadcast on their first sub-channel (the main channel has a mix of local programs, RTV programs, America One programs, and ION Television programs) and all programs from ION Television are broadcast on the second sub-channel. According to Zap2it, Riviera Cable in Foley provides programming from the main channel, which has a mix of local programs, RTV programs, America One programs, and ION Television programs.
post #3888 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

The same company that runs WKFK also runs NCN, who sells the local advertising time on Riviera Cable channels in Foley.
post #3889 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I can't speak to antenna recommendations but I can say that WKFK has a permit to raise their power a good bit, which will extend their coverage east and west. I think the primary contour will at least make it to Grand Bay so in the future you may have some luck with them. They're moving to channel 13 IIRC.

Thanks for the info, did not realize that. I have some off the wall-weirdo reasons for wanting retro:
Many years ago when I was a child, NBC had a truck driving show that was partially filmed in Mobile and I got to see them make one of the episodes. The show was never rerun until 30+ years later on Retro started showing them a few months ago. Sure the show was cheesy but it brought back some great memories from long ago. So here I am recording them on WMC7 and all was going well until I got some kind of infection. No problem, I have a system image so I did a restore only to find out the hard way that MS backup in Win 7 will actively refuse to backup .wtv files. So I lost all my recordings, despite having a backup. So I started recording again and shortly afterwords WRKG pulled the rug out from under RTV. What timing! Oh well lesson learned and I now store the recordings on a cheap NAS - till I can get something better but I learned my lesson about trusting Microsoft.
post #3890 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Movin' On, right?
post #3891 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Movin' On, right?

You got it! Seems like a lifetime ago for me, but still remember Dot Moore, Claude running up to the battleship, etc. Only episode I was able to save looks like it was shot at Dog River.
post #3892 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You got it! Seems like a lifetime ago for me, but still remember Dot Moore, Claude running up to the battleship, etc. Only episode I was able to save looks like it was shot at Dog River.

I'm afraid that was before my time. But anything showing Mobile from the 70s would be something I'd like to see. Mobile is not listed as one of the shooting cities on the Wikipedia entry for the show, was it only used in one or two episodes?
post #3893 of 4213 Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid that was before my time. But anything showing Mobile from the 70s would be something I'd like to see. Mobile is not listed as one of the shooting cities on the Wikipedia entry for the show, was it only used in one or two episodes?

Well I had always heard rumors like 3 or 4 but just stuff I had heard from other kids so I was never sure till a few months ago. Before I lost access to RTV, I counted 4. That's probably it but still not 100% sure. Ironically one of my 4th-5th grade teacher's brother was in it. They had some of the well known locals in it as well.
post #3894 of 4213 Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Anyone out in TV land experiencing problems with WJTC either over the air or on cable/satellite?

From my location in Mobile, I am getting no (usable) signal on WJTC OTA, but it is working fine on DirecTV.

Apparently, this is enough of an issue for WJTC viewers that WPMI will be simulcasting the high school football game tonight as well as tomorrow's SEC game. A crawl is currently running on WPMI and WJTC to notify viewers of this.
post #3895 of 4213 Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM

At this time, I have no problems receiving programming from WJTC-TV broadcast over the air or provided through Comcast Cablevision of Mobile (I'm in midtown Mobile). Earlier today, local Comcast customers lost access to programming from the station between 10:00 AM and 11:00 AM before programming returned shortly before 3:00 PM. An image from "The Dr. Oz Show" was frozen until programming returned.
post #3896 of 4213 Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

100% here in Foley and it's on Riviera Cable just fine — at least the snowy analog version, I haven't checked the HD feed on the other TV yet.

The scroll is the same on both UTV and Local 15, so if you're watching WJTC it says the games will be there, then on Local 15 the games will be there. If we can see WJTC, why do need to know the games are going on as scheduled? Duh.

And why would they pre-emt NBC network programming for high school football? That's insane. They have a subchannel, use it instead.
post #3897 of 4213 Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM

I can now get WJTC over the air. If you can flip back and forth between WPMI & WJTC you can hear the difference in audio quality.
post #3898 of 4213 Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Apparently, this is enough of an issue for WJTC viewers that WPMI will be simulcasting the high school football game tonight as well as tomorrow's SEC game. A crawl is currently running on WPMI and WJTC to notify viewers of this.

There must have been a change of plans, as WPMI-TV is still broadcasting regular programming while WJTC-TV is broadcasting SEC Network programming alone. At this time, the "breaking news" on the home page for WPMI-TV is the still the previous announcement regarding the SEC Network programming.
post #3899 of 4213 Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM

I've discovered a glitch when trying to set my DirecTV DVR....

Since WKRG airs "The Big Bang Theory" as a CBS program as well as a syndicated show, my DVR cannot tell the difference between the two shows. I want to record only the CBS version, but my DVR will record all episodes airing on WKRG....recording over the shows I tell it to keep because I limit it to only keeping 5 episodes. I've temporarily fixed the problem by setting the show to record only the "First Run" episodes, which means that no shows will record when the episodes go into repeats.

However, on WEAR, they run "Grey's Anatomy" as an ABC show and a syndicated show on Sunday nights. I don't have this problem with this show.
It only records the network version without having to jump through the hoops that I have to do with Big Bang.

Is there something that WKRG or DirecTV (or the listing service) should be doing to prevent this? Is anyone else having a similar problem with other providers as well?
post #3900 of 4213 Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've discovered a glitch when trying to set my DirecTV DVR....

Since WKRG airs "The Big Bang Theory" as a CBS program as well as a syndicated show, my DVR cannot tell the difference between the two shows. I want to record only the CBS version, but my DVR will record all episodes airing on WKRG....recording over the shows I tell it to keep because I limit it to only keeping 5 episodes. I've temporarily fixed the problem by setting the show to record only the "First Run" episodes, which means that no shows will record when the episodes go into repeats.

However, on WEAR, they run "Grey's Anatomy" as an ABC show and a syndicated show on Sunday nights. I don't have this problem with this show.
It only records the network version without having to jump through the hoops that I have to do with Big Bang.

Is there something that WKRG or DirecTV (or the listing service) should be doing to prevent this? Is anyone else having a similar problem with other providers as well?

AFAIK, the only way to fix this is to do a manual record for the timeslot you want to record, just like in VCR days. You can set to record every Thursday 7:00-7:30 PM and it will show up on your playlist as "Manual: The Big Bang Theory". Of course, this won't address stunt scheduling like the show running a few minutes over (a problem you will have with Grey's Anatomey) or if the show airs extra episodes at different times/days.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page