Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 4216 Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I figure Spring 2012 is a very optimistic goal, however.

It sounded the same to me, but this was posted in January. Who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4216 Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The current advertisement for a graphics designer on the WPMI-TV site does not mention local news programming being in high definition by the spring of 2012. It was posted there on Monday, January 9th and updated on Tuesday, January 17th. The advertisement on the 602 Communications site was posted on the next day.

Update: the information in the 602 Communications advertisement regarding high-definition newscasts is correct, according to the station.
post #3933 of 4216 Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

post #3934 of 4216 Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchd View Post

Then there is this post.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-mobile...alerts_article

Yeah, I saw that, too.

Let's see. WEAR went HD in late 2008, WKRG went HD in late 2010. Maybe that means WPMI will go HD in late 2012 and WALA in late 2014. Every two years! *snerk*
post #3935 of 4216 Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
Are y'all shocked that WFBD appeared in Dish Network/DirecTV? I saw it moved to Alabama.
post #3936 of 4216 Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Only barely in Alabama, or the Mobile television market, to be fair. I mean it's just barely on the edge. I can't get it OTA in Foley and I haven't heard of anyone in Pensacola picking it up yet, either.

Depending on where the receive stations are, they may just be picking it up off WHBR 33.4, where Blab (complete with WFBD on screen IDs) has been airing in the clear for a while.
post #3937 of 4216 Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Only barely in Alabama, or the Mobile television market, to be fair. I mean it's just barely on the edge. I can't get it OTA in Foley and I haven't heard of anyone in Pensacola picking it up yet, either.

Depending on where the receive stations are, they may just be picking it up off WHBR 33.4, where Blab (complete with WFBD on screen IDs) has been airing in the clear for a while.

I get both WHBR 33.4 and WFBD 48.1 in Gulf Breeze OTA with a 4 bay bowtie antenna (and WALA 9.1 too).
post #3938 of 4216 Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

^WALA-TV's actual broadcast channel number may be 9, but their virtual channel number remains 10-1 (or 10.1).
post #3939 of 4216 Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM

With WALA's move to a temporary set, could an HD upgrade be in the works as well? Seems like it could be timed to coincide with May sweeps. They would be foolish NOT to upgrade to HD at this point in time since things have barely changed since 2001 or 2002 when they moved into their new facility.

It will be an interesting couple of months to see who will make the jump to HD.
post #3940 of 4216 Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic View Post

I get both WHBR 33.4 and WFBD 48.1 in Gulf Breeze OTA with a 4 bay bowtie antenna (and WALA 9.1 too).

To be fair, I do get WALA on one TV, using a straight FM whip antenna from an old Chrysler. The amplified indoor antenna on the other TV? Not a peep.

After reading about the new set, I really do hope they're readying a jump to HD. Even if it's just an HD-friendly set to be used later, it's some progress. We may have ourselves a little (snail-paced) race between WALA and WPMI going on here.
post #3941 of 4216 Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like WALA's jump to HD news has been confirmed on their Facebook page. April is the target date.
post #3942 of 4216 Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Bob Grip in 16 X 9 glory!
What more could we ask for?

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3943 of 4216 Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM

It appears that WLOX is going to be adding CBS as a subchannel soon.
This could be interesting. Could we be seeing dual-stream 720p channels?
Or could CBS be another SD subchannel?

I could see them dumping their weather channel, Bounce TV, or both to fit CBS on their signal.
post #3944 of 4216 Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

It appears that WLOX is going to be adding CBS as a subchannel soon.
This could be interesting. Could we be seeing dual-stream 720p channels?
Or could CBS be another SD subchannel?

I could see them dumping their weather channel, Bounce TV, or both to fit CBS on their signal.

I don't see them bumping Bounce. Isn't WLOX a Raycom station? Raycom has backed Bounce TV in some way. They may try squeezing a 720p, a 1080i and a 480i channel all on the same multiplex but I can assure you, it will NOT look good.

I believe some ABC O&Os run ABC HD and the ABC health and living network, both in 720p from the same TX and they have generated tons of complaints about poor picture quality on both HD feeds.

But if WLOX runs CBS SD only, won't that become the de facto local CBS, forcing WKRG and WWL in HD off cable/sat systems in those markets?
post #3945 of 4216 Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM

The Sun Herald in Biloxi has published a news article about the situation involving WLOX-TV.
post #3946 of 4216 Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 PM

WPMI confirmed they will be upgrading to HD on their 10 pm news tonight.
post #3947 of 4216 Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They've been mentioning it at other times as well. Apparently there was an audio snafu during the 5 pm news the other day and Greg Peterson said it was due to all the upgrading going on for the switch to HD.

These sorts of problems seem to be pretty common when news goes HD; it's amazing that these stations work as seamlessly as they do, considering practically everything in the video chain has to be swapped out at some time or another.
post #3948 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

When I saw esdx's post on my phone, I thought he meant WPMI was going high def that night.

I now see that you meant they were again confirming the HD upgrade now scheduled for next month. I turned on WPMI last night halfway expecting to see 16X9, and was a little disappointed to see the old square format.

In other news... I am still trying to figure out the WLOX story that was linked a few posts ago. The newspaper article was not a modicum of clarity.

I can't believe that CBS would allow WLOX to carry their regular network programming as a sub-channel. I would infer from the article, they are simply switching affiliations from ABC to CBS. If CBS were on a sub- channel, I doubt the must carry rules would even apply. Does someone know if they would?

Is ABC doing that badly in the ratings?

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3949 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
CBS will be on a subchannel. See multiple examples of it happening elsewhere in the country, such as WBBJ Jackson TN.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3950 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

People in the WLOX area are really getting screwed if they lose an affiliate like WWL on their cable or satellite system and get a WLOX CBS feed at 1080i that has been crammed in with the 720p ABC feed. Both PQs will suck and they will be stuck unless they can add OTA and grab from NO or Mobile.
post #3951 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

More than likely they'll keep ABC HD and put CBS on a second channel as SD. I don't know of any stations that mix 720 and 1080 programming on the same multiplex.

I'm pretty sure WLOX will exercise must carry, which will eliminate the HD versions of WKRG and/or WWL that my exist on cable or satellite. Bummer.

In the Mobile HD newscast race, WALA has already confirmed they're building a new set, but no word on if WPMI will do the same. Some stations can get away with reusing the old set, like WTVA in Tupelo did. It actually wound up looking pretty nice in HD, but their set is unlike any other I've seen, being completely open to the back office, with people walking across the set during newscasts.

We already know Local 15's graphics packages are HD ready with their HD promos, so, it may only be a matter of switching out studio equipment to get them up and running.
post #3952 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

I don't know of any stations that mix 720 and 1080 programming on the same multiplex.

KWTX Waco TX
KBTX Bryan TX
WGBC Meridian MS
KXII Sherman TX
KTEN Ada OK
KALB Alexandria LA
KSBW Salinas CA
WISE Fort Wayne IN

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3953 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

KWTX Waco TX
KBTX Bryan TX
WGBC Meridian MS
KXII Sherman TX
KTEN Ada OK
KALB Alexandria LA
KSBW Salinas CA
WISE Fort Wayne IN

- Trip

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible.
post #3954 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As I have done with a few other markets (Chicago, Denver, Richmond and Roanoke to name but four), I'm in the process of reading the entire Mobile/Pensacola thread from start to finish to get an idea of how DTV evolved over the years.

I've come up with two questions after culling what I could from the nine years of DTV history for this DMA.

1). WALA had a CP granted for 124 kW (BPCDT-19991028AEO) but ultimately built a 29 kW facility (BLCDT-20050316ADI) at a slightly higher HAAT. Why did Emmis, the owner at the time, opt out of the more powerful facility?

2). I understand that for historic reasons, the Mobile-licensed stations had their NTSC transmitter plants closer to the COL near Malbis. When DTV was on the horizon, why didn't stations like WKRG and WALA consolidate with the others by re-locating their ATSC facilities near Robertsdale?
post #3955 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible.

After Katrina, WPXL was doing all sorts of heavy lifting with its multiplex. At one point it was airing WDSU in 1080i and at another WGNO at 720p along with WNOL at 480i as well as its own main (pax/i/ion) feed at 480i and its own sub channel(s) at 480i. And yes, the PQ sucked on all of the channels.
post #3956 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

As I have done with a few other markets (Chicago, Denver, Richmond and Roanoke to name but four), I'm in the process of reading the entire Mobile/Pensacola thread from start to finish to get an idea of how DTV evolved over the years.

I've come up with two questions after culling what I could from the nine years of DTV history for this DMA.

1). WALA had a CP granted for 124 kW (BPCDT-19991028AEO) but ultimately built a 29 kW facility (BLCDT-20050316ADI) at a slightly higher HAAT. Why did Emmis, the owner at the time, opt out of the more powerful facility?

2). I understand that for historic reasons, the Mobile-licensed stations had their NTSC transmitter plants closer to the COL near Malbis. When DTV was on the horizon, why didn't stations like WKRG and WALA consolidate with the others by re-locating their ATSC facilities near Robertsdale?

Do you happen to know the channel that 124 kW CP was for? That would be more power than allowed on VHF channel 9. I can only speculate since I can't find historical info on that application, that they got a UHF allotment, and reapplied for a VHF-high allotment to reuse their analog antenna.

As for #2, WKRG, WALA/WFNA and AETV own their towers so it would make sense to keep using them instead of going to a lease situation with American General's tower in Robertsdale.

The diversity of location helped when Hurricane Ivan came through and one of the Robertsdale towers fell. It took out several FM and TV stations all at once. Having some of the signals scattered means we're not likely to lose everything in one fell swoop.
post #3957 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Do you happen to know the channel that 124 kW CP was for? That would be more power than allowed on VHF channel 9. I can only speculate since I can't find historical info on that application, that they got a UHF allotment, and reapplied for a VHF-high allotment to reuse their analog antenna.

The CP, approved in February 2002 by the FCC, for that 124 kW plant was indeed for channel 9. The "Tech Box" in that app shows:

Code:
1. Channel Number:          DTV   9      Analog TV, if any   10 
8. Height of Radiation Center Above Average Terrain :   346  meters
9. Maximum Effective Radiated Power (average power):    124  kW
Even at the lower height, I would think the 6.3 dB power difference would have served WALA well in terms of power density. And the cap on VHF high is 160 kW.

From this thread, it's difficult to determine if WALA ever operated with that greater power. There's some speculation around mid-March 2005 that they did based on reception reports in the Florida panhandle.

Quote:

As for #2, WKRG, WALA/WFNA and AETV own their towers so it would make sense to keep using them instead of going to a lease situation with American General's tower in Robertsdale.

The diversity of location helped when Hurricane Ivan came through and one of the Robertsdale towers fell. It took out several FM and TV stations all at once. Having some of the signals scattered means we're not likely to lose everything in one fell swoop.

Point well taken on that second item. The cluster of towers along I-10 aren't all that far apart. The only one with a shorter stick (excluding WEIQ, which exists for APT to cover Mobile) is for WALA and its companion, WFNA. Both are under 1300' HAAT whereas the others are around 1800'.
post #3958 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

The CP, approved in February 2002 by the FCC, for that 124 kW plant was indeed for channel 9. The "Tech Box" in that app shows:

Code:
1. Channel Number:          DTV   9      Analog TV, if any   10 
8. Height of Radiation Center Above Average Terrain :   346  meters
9. Maximum Effective Radiated Power (average power):    124  kW
Even at the lower height, I would think the 6.3 dB power difference would have served WALA well in terms of power density. And the cap on VHF high is 160 kW.

From this thread, it's difficult to determine if WALA ever operated with that greater power. There's some speculation around mid-March 2005 that they did based on reception reports in the Florida panhandle.

Point well taken on that second item. The cluster of towers along I-10 aren't all that far apart. The only one with a shorter stick (excluding WEIQ, which exists for APT to cover Mobile) is for WALA and its companion, WFNA. Both are under 1300' HAAT whereas the others are around 1800'.

D'oh, my stupid brain was thinking VHF-low with the power levels. It's been on of those days.

WALA is definitely harder to receive in Mobile and Pensacola; of the two TVs in my residence with OTA hookups only one gets it reliably, and I live north of Foley!

There's another station on RF channel 9 in Panama City, and the signals meet around Fort Walton Beach or thereabouts. Maybe the lower power has something to do with that spacing? I know people in FWB complain about not being able to receive any Fox programming because of the two signals.
post #3959 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

WALA is definitely harder to receive in Mobile and Pensacola; of the two TVs in my residence with OTA hookups only one gets it reliably, and I live north of Foley!

I was something of a skeptic about the efficacy of power levels on high-VHF. Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth DMA, WFAA increased just a tad from 45 to 55 kW in April 2010 (less than 1 dB of difference). Theoretically that should have been negligible but the real world worked out quite differently.

As one metric, a television equipped with non-amped rabbit ears here some 40 miles out, went from an occasional lock on WFAA (RF-8) to a solid signal 24/7. No change whatsoever was made here at the receiving end. That slight boost in power by WFAA was evidently enough to get past the digital cliff and provide more power density.

As far as I know, everyone in the whole DMA that had similar problems also benefited with that smallish 10 kW increase.
post #3960 of 4216 Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM

...On many channels off the back of my Channel Master 4228 that I do not normally receive. It is in my attic in a fixed location, so reception would have been a lot better and I'll bet I could have gotten New Orleans stations and maybe more, had I been able to reorient.

WDAM Hattisburg
7.1 WDAM-DT
7.2 This TV
7.3 Bounce

WLOX Biloxi (No CBS sub-channel, yet)
13.1 WLOX-DT
13.2 24X7 We
13.3 Bounce

WMAH Biloxi
19.1 WMAH SD
19.2 WMAH HD
19.3 WMAH CR

WHLT Laurel Hattisburg
22.1 WHLTHD
22.1 WHLT DT2
22.3 WHLT DT3

WLBT Jackson (Cutting in and out, but sometimes looking perfect)
3.1 WLBT-DT
3.2 Bounce

mobilelawyer
at your service
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page