Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 4213 Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, that's pretty cool. The last couple of nights have been good for FM DX; I logged Alexandria and Lafayette, LA on Friday. The sports station on 106.1 in NO completely wiped out the station from Pensacola for the entire night last night. I didn't think to check the TV too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4213 Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

In the Mobile HD newscast race, WALA has already confirmed they're building a new set, but no word on if WPMI will do the same. Some stations can get away with reusing the old set, like WTVA in Tupelo did. It actually wound up looking pretty nice in HD, but their set is unlike any other I've seen, being completely open to the back office, with people walking across the set during newscasts.

We already know Local 15's graphics packages are HD ready with their HD promos, so, it may only be a matter of switching out studio equipment to get them up and running.

WPMI-TV will be getting a new set.
post #3963 of 4213 Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure it has been mentioned, but I just read on WALA's Facebook page that along with the new set they will be upgrading their graphics package for the HD switch. They said the completion date is late April. Their old package is at least 7 years old, I think.
post #3964 of 4213 Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post

WPMI-TV will be getting a new set.

Man, I've been wrong about everything lately.
post #3965 of 4213 Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 12
Are y'all surprised that WAWD finally made it to southwest Alabama when Dish Network added it on their local channel list. It happened last night and now we got 12 on Dish.

I hope Dish Network adds WBQP-CA.:-D
post #3966 of 4213 Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Meanwhile over on DirecTV, WPAN is back on channel 53.

Just what we need, another channel of nothing but infomercials.
post #3967 of 4213 Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 PM

WLOX's CBS subchannel is up and running
http://www.wlox.com/story/17360048/w...s-cbs-addition

From what i've heard, it's only in SD.
post #3968 of 4213 Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM

post #3969 of 4213 Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update, Mario!

Local 15 was off the air for a while this evening for some reason. Around the time they went off we lost all the digital tier locals (in the 800s) on Riviera Cable here in Foley and they're still not back on. :-(
post #3970 of 4213 Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM

With WALA's launch tonight, with it comes HD spots, spots stretched to 16x9, and on WFNA, zoom-o-vision (taking the 4x3 frame and zooming in to where the sidebars are half the size they normally are, and cutting off the frame in the process....Access Hollywood and TMZ were doing this.

The most definitive sign was the late night repeat of Alcatraz in HD, normally it is in letterbox...hopefully our prayers of WALA/WFNA FINALLY running HD content in HD are soon to be answered!
post #3971 of 4213 Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

There's always some teething when a station debuts HD news. I recorded it and just watched it. Everything looks pretty good and some of the field reports appeared to be HD or near to it as well.

WALA is not my #1 news choice but I'm happy they're making the effort . That old graphics package was cringe-inducing because it was so out of date.

Now we cross our fingers and hope Local 15 makes the switch tomorrow!
post #3972 of 4213 Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Now we cross our fingers and hope Local 15 makes the switch tomorrow!

I second that emotion!

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3973 of 4213 Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM

A picture of the new set for WPMI-TV is on their Facebook page now.
post #3974 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

I've been a fan of Local 15's news presentation since moving down here a while back, so maybe I'm biased, but I think their HD setup for news is head and shoulders above Fox 10's. WALA has a nice giant touchscreen the hosts can play with, but the weather graphics still look a little clip-arty. Both stations appear to have gotten their hands on HD field cameras, which many early HD-adopters failed to do, probably due to cost.

Between these two events and Pensacola's talker WCOA 1370 taking over 100.7 FM, it's been an eventful media weekend on the coast.
post #3975 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I've been a fan of Local 15's news presentation since moving down here a while back, so maybe I'm biased, but I think their HD setup for news is head and shoulders above Fox 10's. WALA has a nice giant touchscreen the hosts can play with, but the weather graphics still look a little clip-arty. Both stations appear to have gotten their hands on HD field cameras, which many early HD-adopters failed to do, probably due to cost.

Between these two events and Pensacola's talker WCOA 1370 taking over 100.7 FM, it's been an eventful media weekend on the coast.

Agreed, WPMI really outdone themselves on their move to HD and WALA was a disappointment. Outside of their HD launch, many of their spots are airing in stretch-o-vision and it seems that they are still working out the bugs that can come with a HD switchover while WPMI/WJTC chose to upgrade their master control months ago and was ready to handle HD content.

Still, we can only hope that WALA/WFNA can FINALLY pass through syndicated HD content! The first test is Nate Berkus at 9am....will they pass?
post #3976 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

The first test is Nate Berkus at 9am....will they pass?

Yep!
post #3977 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Cudos to both stations and their owners for finally going HD in news and local production.

I would like to see less stretch-o-vision as the HD concept further matures.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3978 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Unfortunately, Nate Berkus was probably the ONLY non-news show on WALA in HD today. Most everything else, including Dr. Phil, People's Court & Jeopardy was in stretch-o-vision!!!

I'm sure they're working out the bugs, but this has to be the roughest HD transitition i've seen so far...
post #3979 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM

WALA-TV broadcast "The Wendy Williams Show" in high definition and the 16:9 aspect ratio today.
post #3980 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder why some syndicated programs are in HD but some like Jeopardy! are still in SD, stretched, on WALA? Wouldn't they all pass through the same satellite receivers and HD board equipment?
post #3981 of 4213 Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM

am glad i moved away from there and moved to dallas tx here everything is in hd and here the kdfw fox 4 i can pick up here unlike wala fox 10 i couldnt even pick them up and i love the news here the sets are wonderful
post #3982 of 4213 Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdh0490 View Post

am glad i moved away from there and moved to dallas tx here everything is in hd and here the kdfw fox 4 i can pick up here unlike wala fox 10 i couldnt even pick them up and i love the news here the sets are wonderful

The professionalism and quality of your local newscasts should be better because you're in market #5. Mobile-Pensacola-FWB is market #60.

From my perspective, I think Local 15 punches a few markets above its weight, if that makes sense. WKRG is probably average for this size, and WEAR and WALA lag behind in professionalism, quality of reporters and presentation. All the stations seem to suffer more technical glitches, misspelled words and screwups than I think is appropriate for this market size. Local 15 might be the worst offender in that respect.

Having said that, all the stations are a breath of fresh air compared to the four years I lived in Mississippi, where my TV stations were split between three markets and only two stations had "local" news. WABG Greenwood (market #187) and WTVA Tupelo (market #133) were the only ones relevant to my region, and WABG was like watching a bad high school media class each night. WTVA was much better than you'd expect in such a small market, though, and also went HD for news ~3 years ago.
post #3983 of 4213 Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

The professionalism and quality of your local newscasts should be better because you're in market #5. Mobile-Pensacola-FWB is market #60.

If Dallas did not blow Mobile away, considering the market differential, there would be something badly wrong. Larger audience=greater ad revenue=better news department budget.

But there has been a tremendous decline in the quality of local news and the amount of money that station owners spend on their news departments in the past several decades.

It is just a sign of the times, unfortunately. And it followed the decline of newtwork news operations.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3984 of 4213 Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

I hate the decline. I may be relatively young but I prefer the local news and national news on the old three networks to getting everything off the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I spend hours a day reading and commenting about news online, but I still like to settle down for the news on TV each day.
post #3985 of 4213 Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I hate the decline. I may be relatively young but I prefer the local news and national news on the old three networks to getting everything off the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I spend hours a day reading and commenting about news online, but I still like to settle down for the news on TV each day.

No arguement from me on that!

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #3986 of 4213 Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM

A step closer on WALA...Jeopardy and Wheel are now in HD!

How is WALA/WFNA coming across on your cable or satellite system in SD? DirecTV is letterboxing the 16x9 frame during local news shows and any 4x3 content that is being displayed properly is now window-boxed and stretched content is letterboxed in 16x9. Is this one of the added perks of the Fox "Splicer"?

I've yet to see any HD on WFNA other than CW programming, and at least they're back to airing content in properly pillarboxed SD instead of zoom-o-vision.

I can only hope that stretch-o-vision is a temporary problem and that it's not going to be like it is on cable and satellite channels in the attempt to "fill the screen" with as much "HD" content as possible. If they are really sending out a special feed to all cable and satellite providers in the market, then their OTA viewers are REALLY at the bottom of their list!

Speaking of window-boxing, I see it on WFBD on Directv (channel 48). The channel claims that they are putting out shows in HD, even though DirecTV is only carrying them in SD. For anyone who can actually pick up WFBD, are they really in HD? It seems to me that they are only capable of producing HD content in their facility, but not able to air it.
post #3987 of 4213 Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Good to hear about Jeopardy! and Wheel. That's progress. Now if they can just fix the stretch-o-vision issues we'll be doing good.

I get Blab TV on Riviera Cable's HD locals tier and it's windowboxed. I don't know if they are able to get WFBD directly off air or they're getting Blab via WHBR 33.3. On 33.3 it's SD.
post #3988 of 4213 Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post

Are y'all surprised that WAWD finally made it to southwest Alabama when Dish Network added it on their local channel list. It happened last night and now we got 12 on Dish.

I hope Dish Network adds WBQP-CA.:-D

And now WAWD is on channel 58 of DirecTV. It only comes up on my HD boxes (it's probably an MPEG-4 channel) and it's in 720p HD, but the picture is about 10 percent smaller than the frame and it's in the 16x9 ratio. Is the same thing happening on Dish?

I wonder what's keeping DirecTV from providing WFGX and WJTC in HD now....
post #3989 of 4213 Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

And now WAWD is on channel 58 of DirecTV. It only comes up on my HD boxes (it's probably an MPEG-4 channel) and it's in 720p HD, but the picture is about 10 percent smaller than the frame and it's in the 16x9 ratio. Is the same thing happening on Dish?

I wonder what's keeping DirecTV from providing WFGX and WJTC in HD now....

If WFGX-TV were to broadcast ThisTV programming full time on their main channel, there would be no need for DirecTV to provide a high-definition version of their programming because ThisTV programming is not available in high definition.
post #3990 of 4213 Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Alabama has the oldest public television network in the country. I have never known of APT being embroiled in politics, until now:

Dismissals at Alabama PTV linked to concerns over proposed broadcast of videos from religious right

http://currentpublicmedia.blogspot.com/2012/06/exclusive-two-alabama-ptv-firings.html

Long-time Executive Director Allan Pizzato and his deputy Pauline Howland were fired last week, and several board members have resigned in the wake of the firings.

Quoting the linked article:

"Pizzato had served 12 years as executive director of APT, a statewide network governed by a board of seven political appointees.

Howland, deputy director and chief financial officer, described the firings in an interview with Current and said she was "baffled" by the dismissals. But she also recalled how Pizzato had asked staff in April for advice about a series of videos that AETC commissioners wanted APT to air.

The videos featured David Barton, an evangelical minister and conservative activist whose publications and media appearances promote his theories about the religious intentions of America’s founders. He frequently appears on political commentary programs hosted by conservative Glenn Beck.

The American Heritage Series, a 10-part DVD series offered by Barton’s Texas-based organization WallBuilders LLC, “presents America's forgotten history and heroes, emphasizing the moral, religious and constitutional foundation on which America was built.” Christian broadcast networks Cornerstone Television and Trinity Broadcasting Networks air the series, according to the website."

This is a very, very disturbing development, in my opinion. Alabama has the oldest public television network in the country. No, its not the best. It is hamstrung by lack of funding in a state with serious economic problems, but it has always been there for the citizens of the state, and, in my opinion has benefited us all. I hate to see this kind of trend.

And this kind of step is obviously some kind of effort to "op-ed" PBS programming which is deemed to be filled with liberal bias. It does sound like a plan that an Opelika chiropractor might come up with, but it is no way to run a state public TV network. The airwaves are full of Christian TV stations, who I am sure are already carrying this series. Let them run it, and more power to those stations.

We do not need this type of programming to be force-fed through the public TV network. Think of all the other wonderful content we can now look forward to. I'm depressed.

mobilelawyer
at your service
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page