Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 142 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 458
FWIW, I just went from a Roamio/Genie system to a dual Hopper system.

The dual Hoppers with OTA modules pull in signal better with the same antenna's and locations, vs both the Roamio and AM21.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking to cut the cord with Cox Cable. I live in Mary Esther (Fort Walton Beach) and looking for a good outdoor antenna that doesn't break the bank but not looking to go cheap. What do some of you guys from the same area use? I'll post my TVFool report as soon as I get to 5 posts!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking1204 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking to cut the cord with Cox Cable. I live in Mary Esther (Fort Walton Beach) and looking for a good outdoor antenna that doesn't break the bank but not looking to go cheap. What do some of you guys from the same area use? I'll post my TVFool report as soon as I get to 5 posts!
Be prepared to spend some money to get the best reception. Sometimes all the money in the world will not help. For example, a tall pine forest next to your house and between your antenna and the TV station. I have the old channel master 8-bay UHF antenna that was replaced by the current model. If you can get it mounted on mast with some height, you will get the best possible reception. Mine is in the attic, as I am very close to some of the transmitters (but because of terrain issues I still need a more powerful antenna to get all the stations I want). If all your stations are not in the same direction, you may need to join more than one antenna to get good results.

You can forget about going cheap unless you have city grade signals where you live.

mobilelawyer
at your service
Old 04-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
Be prepared to spend some money to get the best reception. Sometimes all the money in the world will not help. For example, a tall pine forest next to your house and between your antenna and the TV station. I have the old channel master 8-bay UHF antenna that was replaced by the current model. If you can get it mounted on mast with some height, you will get the best possible reception. Mine is in the attic, as I am very close to some of the transmitters (but because of terrain issues I still need a more powerful antenna to get all the stations I want). If all your stations are not in the same direction, you may need to join more than one antenna to get good results.

You can forget about going cheap unless you have city grade signals where you live.
Be prepared for the potential problem of not being able to receive Fox. Both Mobile's WALA and Panama City's WPGX use RF channel 9 and I understand that causes severe reception issues for people halfway between the two markets.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Thanks guys, looks like I'm not in a good area for making the switch but willing to give it a try. If I can ditch Cox Cable I'll be saving over $100 a month so if I have to invest a little up front to make the switch I'll get it back with the savings I'll see.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I havent been able to get Fox 10 from Theodore with a larger antenna (not deep fringe) about 12 feet up, and cannot with the amp'd flat waves I have inside now. Both get CBS, ABC, NBC and CW at 100% though... I gave up on 10 and just record it off satellite.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
Old 04-07-2015, 09:10 AM

So I have to ask, is there anyone in the Fort Walton Beach area running an outdoor antenna and getting good reception on our local channels?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Wow, must be rare for my area!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement