Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4261 of 4303 Old 10-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I may have had WGOX-LD confused with WEDS-LD.

The proposed coverage area of WGOX includes mostly poor people. Probably more than 50% OTA viewing in that area. Putting up a Christian station in the Century area with pastors begging people to donate their last dollar...
That's just plain greasy.

I hope this station just stays in paper and never makes it to air.

WDPM 18.1 is on the air and I can pick it up in 32561. The signal is probably the worst of all stations broadcasting from a Baldwin county tower. I can not pick up WAWD ( I've never picked up WAWD DT) and HSN 19 is the only LPTV I can receive. I assume 12 & 46 are off the air.

Last edited by poledo; 10-31-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4303 Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
WKRG just switched from thier weather rader to Ion Television on 5.2 at 11:00pm, 11 hours after it excepted to do so. It's full 16:9 is letterboxed in SD unlike Cozi TV, Get TV, Grit, and Comet. The first show to start after the switchover is Criminal Minds. The fps is just terrible until they manage to fix it.
post #4263 of 4303 Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I'm really curious as to "why now?" for ION to show up OTA in Mobile. Is it not already carried on cable here? DirecTV has the east and west coast feeds with the east being in HD. I would think Dish and Kabletown would be the same.
In case you were referring to Comcast as "Kabletown", they indeed had the programming all ready (or "already") available in Mobile.

Last edited by Mario500; 11-02-2015 at 02:51 PM.
post #4264 of 4303 Old 11-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
In case you were referring to Comcast as "Kabletown", they indeed had the programming all ready (or "already") available in Mobile.
Indeed I was.
post #4265 of 4303 Old 11-13-2015, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WFGX Sub-channel 35.3

Was active this morning, showing PI ads only when I tuned in, but identified as "Comet".

Comet TV website

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #4266 of 4303 Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
Was active this morning, showing PI ads only when I tuned in, but identified as "Comet".

Comet TV website
It debuted on Halloween, it's supposed to be all sci-fi.
post #4267 of 4303 Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 PM

We are a month close to the 20th anniversary of WALA/WPMI affaition swap. And I will give you some fun facts. I’ll go with the Simpsons before the switch with WALA as well as Friends with WPMI.

The Simpsons

WPMI

“Marge Be Not Proud” (3F07) is the last episode to premiere.
Season 7 is the last season to begin airing before halfway while 6 is also the last to complete.
VI (3F04) is the last Treehouse of Horror special to premiere.

WALA

“Team Homer” (3F10) is the first episode to premiere.
Season 8 is the first season to premiere while 7 is also the first season to end after halfway.
VII (4F02) is the first Treehouse of Horror special to premiere

Friends

WALA

“The One with Phoebe’s Dad” (457309) is the last episode to premiere.
Season 2 is the last season to begin airing before halfway while the first is also the last to complete.

WPMI

“The One with Russ” (457311) is the first episode to premiere.
Season 3 is the first season to premiere while 2 is also the first season to end after halfway.
post #4268 of 4303 Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
It debuted on Halloween, it's supposed to be all sci-fi.
Does anyone think that UVerse/Dish/Directv will ever offer any minor digital subs in Mobile? Or maybe national feeds of Comet/Antenna/Get/Grit/This/Bounce/etc... like Ion is offered? All those stations are SD , so every provider should have the bandwidth to spare, right?

I've got the Dish Hopper OTA adapter and it's cool as can be, but I suffer so much rain fade I want to switch back to UVerse with their lower quality HD channels (being at the "end of the run" doesn't help me at all). Mediacom almost seems interesting since they carry subs and they are cheap, but I regularly watch several cable stations not carried by Mediacom. Internet viewing of a few shows would be inconvenient. I'm stubborn.
post #4269 of 4303 Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledo View Post
Does anyone think that UVerse/Dish/Directv will ever offer any minor digital subs in Mobile? Or maybe national feeds of Comet/Antenna/Get/Grit/This/Bounce/etc... like Ion is offered? All those stations are SD , so every provider should have the bandwidth to spare, right?

I've got the Dish Hopper OTA adapter and it's cool as can be, but I suffer so much rain fade I want to switch back to UVerse with their lower quality HD channels (being at the "end of the run" doesn't help me at all). Mediacom almost seems interesting since they carry subs and they are cheap, but I regularly watch several cable stations not carried by Mediacom. Internet viewing of a few shows would be inconvenient. I'm stubborn.
I can't speak to U-verse but Dish and DirecTV are not interested in adding subchannels, they say they don't have the bandwidth. At least from what I've heard and seen. The only way to get them is with an antenna or to go to cable. I am not aware of any of these digital subchannel networks offering a national feed, although that would be a nice compromise for us viewers.

I get a pretty good amount of rain fade with DirecTV but my alternative is Riviera Cable in Foley and it's about as sorry as it gets. The folks who run it are really nice and it's fairly reliable service but their DVRs are dinosaurs, they don't offer many HD channels and there's no HD PPV or internet service. It's like cable circa 1985.
post #4270 of 4303 Old 12-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't speak to U-verse but Dish and DirecTV are not interested in adding subchannels, they say they don't have the bandwidth. At least from what I've heard and seen. The only way to get them is with an antenna or to go to cable. I am not aware of any of these digital subchannel networks offering a national feed, although that would be a nice compromise for us viewers.

I get a pretty good amount of rain fade with DirecTV but my alternative is Riviera Cable in Foley and it's about as sorry as it gets. The folks who run it are really nice and it's fairly reliable service but their DVRs are dinosaurs, they don't offer many HD channels and there's no HD PPV or internet service. It's like cable circa 1985.
I've been told that getTV is actually being uplinked (in test mode?) to Dish Network now. So maybe there's hope that more will follow.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thre...hanges.355437/

Last edited by Tom Servo; 12-04-2015 at 12:07 AM.
post #4271 of 4303 Old 12-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I've been told that getTV is actually being uplinked (in test mode?) to Dish Network now. So maybe there's hope that more will follow.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thre...hanges.355437/
GetTV makes sense for a national feed. Apparently Sony's GetTV operates as a time buy on local sub-channels with no local commercials or cut ins. A 24/7 infomercial. So there's no real reason for local affiliates to care if the station is on cable/sat.
What other HD subs work this way?
post #4272 of 4303 Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM

GetTV SD is now live on Dish #373
post #4273 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 AM

It's been 20 years since WALA and WPMI swap affiliates.
post #4274 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
It's been 20 years since WALA and WPMI swap affiliates.
..... and I'm still telling people to turn to channel 10 for NBC shows.
post #4275 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
And it's a good thing WALA restored their 10pm news last year. I am hoping they'll also restore their daytime news. Could be either 11am or 12pm.

Guess WALA will stay FOX forever as well as WPMI for NBC.
post #4276 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I often wonder if such "memory stickiness" is only limited to this particular market or if that's common elsewhere. I don't know anyone who still thinks WBRC is ABC in Birmingham, for example. It was the news operation to beat when I was a kid, but today that doesn't seem to be the case. Channel 42 had finally shed their "also ran" status after decades of being the market's news laughingstock.

But in Mobile, people still think 5 and 10 are the only news game in town. Yet as an outsider, both came across as lame ducks to me. *shrugs*

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #4277 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
I often wonder if such "memory stickiness" is only limited to this particular market or if that's common elsewhere.
I assume it is. My parents lived in the New York DMA for something like 40 years before moving to the Roanoke DMA. It took a very long time before my father, in particular, would say "10" instead of "4" for NBC. I always had to ask when he said "7" or "13" what network he meant. Not exactly this case, but very similar.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4278 of 4303 Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I assume it is. My parents lived in the New York DMA for something like 40 years before moving to the Roanoke DMA. It took a very long time before my father, in particular, would say "10" instead of "4" for NBC. I always had to ask when he said "7" or "13" what network he meant. Not exactly this case, but very similar.

- Trip
Definitely similar, and it jogged a memory of my parents having to "un-learn" the cable channel assignments for some of the Birmingham stations after I bought them one of the old original DirecTV setups. They kept cable for a few years until DirecTV started offering LIL service in Birmingham. If I remember correctly the locals at that time were in the 900s or 800s and they only knew the local channels by their cable channels. So mom would say "put it on 5" which meant 13 which mean 839 or whatever it was back then. It got confusing fast. If they said 7, that was 6 which again was some other weird 3 digital number on the old DirecTV system.

Luckily these days DirecTV just maps the LIL channels to their virtual channel numbers, so 6 is 6, 13 is 13 and 68 is 68.
post #4279 of 4303 Old 01-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
And it's a good thing WALA restored their 10pm news last year. I am hoping they'll also restore their daytime news. Could be either 11am or 12pm.

Guess WALA will stay FOX forever as well as WPMI for NBC.
Personally I hope WALA-TV does not get any more time for live news programming in their regular programming plans and hope their broadcast operation becomes affiliated with NBC again (if I were in charge of WALA-TV, I would consider the idea of having a digital sub-channel dedicated to recordings of local news programming like their live video stream, except this channel would have advertisements and live news or weather reports on certain occasions).

By the way, there is an article about the switch to NBC for WPMI-TV's broadcast operation being mentioned in WPMI-TV's local news programming yesterday.
post #4280 of 4303 Old 01-02-2016, 11:46 AM

Apparently none of y'all are expecting Media General to combine Fox, NBC & CW on two signals and sell off WKRG or WFNA in the spectrum auction?
post #4281 of 4303 Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
Did the swap have anything to do with WALA's signal strength? I could not ever get it in the living room now I can record it on my Dish Hopper.

LG 65EF9500 / UBD-K8500
AV7702mkII / Model 5000
Klipsch RF-7II's / RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
post #4282 of 4303 Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM

MeTV is now available on AT&T U-Verse TV. It's on channel 136.
post #4283 of 4303 Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Did the swap have anything to do with WALA's signal strength? I could not ever get it in the living room now I can record it on my Dish Hopper.
WALA's only "swap" was from NBC to Fox back in the early 1990's. It had everything to do with Fox being willing to pay well for a VHF channel number. WPMI, UHF channel 15, was like 5,000,000 watts and had very good coverage but all channel numbers 14 and up were still taboo at the time.
At the time, WPMI likely had better nighttime/prime time OTA coverage than WALA.
Today WALA has the worst coverage of any TV station broadcasting from Baldwin county.
post #4284 of 4303 Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
Well, for whatever reason, I went from getting it at 50% or worse the last couple of years to 80%, with no change in gear.

LG 65EF9500 / UBD-K8500
AV7702mkII / Model 5000
Klipsch RF-7II's / RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
post #4285 of 4303 Old 02-25-2016, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From the sounds of this thread I'm SOL for picking up WALA (fox) in Pensacola? I haven't used bunny ears since I was a kid and we recently picked up a 50mile range indoor antenna ( Winegard FlatWave Amped FL5500A ) since we are considering dropping our cable tv in favor of OTA and roku boxes. I taped it up above a window to start and I was pretty impressed picking up ABC, NBC, CBS, CW and a mountain of other misc channels most in 720/1080 besides the smaller channels but no luck with Fox. I knew by TVfool going in fox might be a long shot but it sounds like folks around here with even better antenna setups are having trouble.

Any of you guys in the north end of Pensacola have any luck getting WALA with an indoor antenna?
post #4286 of 4303 Old 02-27-2016, 02:37 PM

In downtown P'cola and Gulf Breeze I can pick up WALA with an old school rooftop antenna. Instead of the 95% signals I get on the UHF stations I only get around 80% on Fox. Friends downtown with rabbit ears have no luck with Fox 10.

I've always had a rooftop antenna wherever I lived. You know, for hurricanes and such. One of my antennas is so old it predates cable availablity but has been updated from flat wire to coax. Rabbit ears sucked here even in the analog days. Had to add tin foil flags and coat hangers to get some stations.
post #4287 of 4303 Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WKFK from Pascagoula MS seems to be off the air, anyone else notice this (just after they switched over to Antenna TV)
post #4288 of 4303 Old 03-09-2016, 08:48 AM

I don't know whether WKFK-TV is "off the air" or not (I had never been able to receive their signal from Mobile), but if they were, I would wish Comcast's cable TV system in Mobile would provide their programming feeds.
post #4289 of 4303 Old 03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

I'm also too far away to receive WKFK, sorry. Their main channel was on Riviera Cable back when I had that service, but the picture quality wasn't great. I was frankly surprised they could get it at all with their modest plant here in Foley.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #4290 of 4303 Old 03-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY84 View Post
WKFK from Pascagoula MS seems to be off the air, anyone else notice this (just after they switched over to Antenna TV)
I talked to someone at the station, he says they have not gone off the air. Might be time to adjust or check your antenna settings if you're not seeing the station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page