Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4291 of 4319 Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I talked to someone at the station, he says they have not gone off the air. Might be time to adjust or check your antenna settings if you're not seeing the station.
I also called them yesterday, before I read your post, the woman said she has had several calls about no signal.

I also get 13, 19, & 25 from Mississippi, they are coming in clear. When I check signal strength for 7.1, I am not getting anything.
If it was antenna problem, I would think that I would be getting some red or yellow when checking signal strength.

Leeds me to believe that 7.1 signal is just not putting out enough power or someone built a wall somewhere in between, I even thought they may have changed frequencies (not 13 anymore).

Bad thing is they had programming that you could not get anywhere else OTA (no duplicates either)...

THISTV, RETROTV, ANTENNATV, THE WORKS and some music channel.

Thanks for checking, sure which someone who is getting signal would chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4319 Old 03-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY84 View Post
THISTV, RETROTV, ANTENNATV, THE WORKS and some music channel.
Is that their current lineup? When I was working on adding a page about WKFK to my website, I noticed that my site has a different set of channels compared to Wikipedia, and it differs from what Rabbit Ears lists, and all of us are different than what WKFK's own website has under "program guide". What you're saying is different, too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #4293 of 4319 Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 AM

OZZY84 was probably referring to WKFK-TV's sub-channel for Heartland's programming as "some music channel" and using the phrase "THE WORKS" as an expression for WKFK-TV having a great variety of programming feeds.
post #4294 of 4319 Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Is that their current lineup? When I was working on adding a page about WKFK to my website, I noticed that my site has a different set of channels compared to Wikipedia, and it differs from what Rabbit Ears lists, and all of us are different than what WKFK's own website has under "program guide". What you're saying is different, too.

Yes, attached is their latest line up, that is, when I was getting their signal as of over a week ago. And yes even WKFK web site listed older channels, also their web page has some very old "recent" news which led me to think that they may have gone off the air. Sure hope I can get it back, it was a very good complement to the existing channels available to Mobile area. If you go to WKFK web and click coverage link, the map clearly shows that it is supposed to be good signal for west mobile co.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wkfk-lineup.png
Views:	84
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1306577  
post #4295 of 4319 Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 AM

I hope OZZY84 did not mind what I thought he or she meant by "THE WORKS" since I do not remember ever having read or heard anything about them before today (you may refer to me as "he" or "him", by the way).
post #4296 of 4319 Old 03-11-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I hope OZZY84 did not mind what I thought he or she meant by "THE WORKS" since I do not remember ever having read or heard anything about them before today (you may refer to me as "he" or "him", by the way).
No worries mate, Mr. ozzy84 takes no offense.
post #4297 of 4319 Old 03-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

I have to admit, this is the first time I've heard of a network called "The Works" — not exactly a search-engine friendly name.
post #4298 of 4319 Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed a new WFNA sub-channel, 55.3, which appears to carry the Justice Network.

http://www.justicenetworktv.com/

All crime, all the time?

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #4299 of 4319 Old 03-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

That channel was recently added to Directv along with a few others by the same company. The reaction was muted, to say the least. What I read said that most of the shows they carry are no name judges doing reenactments.

post #4300 of 4319 Old 03-28-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
That channel was recently added to Directv along with a few others by the same company. The reaction was muted, to say the least. What I read said that most of the shows they carry are no name judges doing reenactments.

Disappointing.

I was happy to see ion TV pop up on WKRG 5.2. My wife has an insatiable appetite for Law and Order, and she does not care whether it is in high def or standard definition. If we ever decide to cut the cord, at least some Law and Order reruns will be available for free!

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #4301 of 4319 Old 03-28-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

not what you're thinking.

Justice Network is the John Walsh (from AMW) channel that has some older NatGeo shows (like AK state troopers) and TruTV stuff like Bait Car, Lockdown, Most Shocking and others
http://www.justicenetworktv.com/show-titles/

You're thinking of Justice Central which was added on Directv (along with other stations that Byron Allen owns like Cars.TV, Comedy.Tv etc)....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Studios
post #4302 of 4319 Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
not what you're thinking.

Justice Network is the John Walsh (from AMW) channel that has some older NatGeo shows (like AK state troopers) and TruTV stuff like Bait Car, Lockdown, Most Shocking and others
http://www.justicenetworktv.com/show-titles/

You're thinking of Justice Central which was added on Directv (along with other stations that Byron Allen owns like Cars.TV, Comedy.Tv etc)....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Studios
You're right. I stand (well, sit) corrected.

The fact that there's more than "Justice" oriented network, though… Heh.
post #4303 of 4319 Old 03-29-2016, 05:25 AM

post #4304 of 4319 Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 AM

WKFK, back on the air "for me that is" after almost 2 months absent.

I adjusted and checked all connections and decided that it was on the transmitter end. (months ago)

Sure enough someone must have "fixed' transmitter, and now I have all 5 channels back. Hope they stick around for good this time.
Tom Servo likes this.
post #4305 of 4319 Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

I got wind from a viewer over in Pensacola that WCTU-LD, W39BP, WBPQ-LD and WRBD-LP are all off the air, and have been for over a year. Can anyone confirm this? I understand WBPQ is still on the local cable there, but it seems the OTA is off.

And WAWD is not only off, but has never actually broadcast since they moved the transmitter site to Holley? It's on all the cable and satellite down here, but it's too far away from me to pick up OTA, and this person is well within the main coverage area of all these stations, so I tend to think their report is accurate. But I'd like to ask around to make sure.
post #4306 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM

I was able to see and hear WLOX-TV's programming feeds through their digital broadcast channels from my home in the mid-town area of Mobile for the first time this morning (my reception of them was good for the time I had them).
post #4307 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I was able to see and hear WLOX-TV's programming feeds through their digital broadcast channels from my home in the mid-town area of Mobile for the first time this morning (my reception of them was good for the time I had them).
What kind of antenna do you have for off the air reception? The WLOX-DT coverage map on FCCdata.org seems to indicate they put a fairly decent signal at least into West Mobile.

Ever since I moved to the gulf coast, I have not gotten a single bit of DX on TV. Nothing from New Orleans, or Biloxi, or Panama City. Not even any low power broadcasts from Pensacola or Mobile.
post #4308 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 02:12 PM

The antenna for the TV set I was using that had WLOX-TV's programming feeds this morning was an RCA in-door antenna (similar to the one you may see upon selecting this link)

By the way, I had been unable to see or hear WLOX-TV's programming through the set since this morning (between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.)). That may had been the best time to see their programming through the set today due to the atmospheric conditions around my area at the time.

Last edited by Mario500; 05-25-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #4309 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 02:57 PM

OTA Only

In an effort to save money, we are dropping Directv. Programming will now be over the air, or streamed over the internet. We think we can survive, but I am worried about the upcoming football season. We have Slingtv, but if we lose signal during an Alabama game, I am may sincerely regret the decision. Time will tell.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #4310 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
I would love to do that but we record too much and stay behind. I use Directv for cable stuff and a Roamio for my OTA stuff. I can only get Exede here too (or sat internet basically), so my monthly bandwidth is only 30 gigs.

If this wasn't a huge Bama/FSU house, I would have cut the cord and went OTA already.

65" EF9500 / DMP-UB900 / HDfury Integral
AV7702 MKII / Model 5000
Klipsch stuff and Rythmik stuff
post #4311 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I would love to do that but we record too much and stay behind. I use Directv for cable stuff and a Roamio for my OTA stuff. I can only get Exede here too (or sat internet basically), so my monthly bandwidth is only 30 gigs.

If this wasn't a huge Bama/FSU house, I would have cut the cord and went OTA already.
Sports are definitely what keeps many people tethered to cable or satellite.

I would consider cutting the cord but it's annoying that so much streaming is dependent on already having a cable/sat account to verify. For example, on my Roku I have History and A&E, ABC, Food Network, all that kind of stuff. But none of the good content is freely available. You have to log in, or pay for a Sling box.

I have a feeling most of the people who hype up cord-cutting are sharing someone else's login info, because without one you lost a LOT of content online.

Plus, I've found the picture quality online to be greatly inferior to DirecTV. Even with a pretty reliable 25 Mbps DSL connection (my only choice, I can't even get satellite and no cable internet is in Foley) I rarely see 1080p on Netflix or other services.
post #4312 of 4319 Old 05-25-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
I do like my DirecTV PQ and service. I recently swapped back from Dish.

We have ATT ADSL here but the capacity is maxed and it was never really reliable, so I swapped to Exede and have 30 gigs/month. That supports me knocking down a few episodes of Daredevil, etc.… a week off Netflix and surfing, but I could not go stream only even though I regularly get 20+ mbps down.

I know several people that are using other’s ESPN and HBO logins LOL.

65" EF9500 / DMP-UB900 / HDfury Integral
AV7702 MKII / Model 5000
Klipsch stuff and Rythmik stuff
post #4313 of 4319 Old 06-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been awhile since I've posted here...but I have moved out to West Mobile and had to dump DirecTV due to signal issues (no south view) and decided to go all-in with Comcast....I could have gone UVerse but I got way faster Internet through Comcast and I had bigger reservations against AT&T (especially since they had just bought DirecTV)

I'm on their X1 platform with a main DVR box and a secondary box that runs off of it. A few months after I got it, they began supporting in-home live viewing on web and mobile devices with the Xfinity app. It should include Cloud DVR service, but at the time, Mobile was one of the very few markets not to offer it based on their website (which has since changed).

Does anyone else here have Cloud capability here? I dont see any way of activating it, and when I called customer service to activate it, they told me I didn't need to do anything and I should have it already, even though their website says that X1 customers who didn't have this service before needed to call and add it to their account...this makes me think it's still not available here...
post #4314 of 4319 Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Does anyone in our tv area have the TiVo Roamio OTA? If so, do you get the guide data for Get, Bounce, Justice, Cozi, Bounce, Comet, Grit, MeTv, and ION sub channels

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #4315 of 4319 Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
In most cases I would say yes

Best thing to do is go to http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ and enter some zip codes to see. When I entered a Pensacola one it showed guide info for the stations you mentioned

Reason I say to use that website instead of zap2it is because Tivo/Rovi now uses the same guide info as what is shown on TVGuide
post #4316 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
In most cases I would say yes

Best thing to do is go to http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ and enter some zip codes to see. When I entered a Pensacola one it showed guide info for the stations you mentioned

Reason I say to use that website instead of zap2it is because Tivo/Rovi now uses the same guide info as what is shown on TVGuide
Thanks, but is it accurate enough to record from the data? Is anyone in our area using the TiVo Roamio OTA?

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
post #4317 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryez View Post
Does anyone in our tv area have the TiVo Roamio OTA? If so, do you get the guide data for Get, Bounce, Justice, Cozi, Bounce, Comet, Grit, MeTv, and ION sub channels
I have a roamio ota and get all of the guide data.

Bobby Ray
post #4318 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trich View Post
I have a roamio ota and get all of the guide data.
Thanks, that helps me make my decision.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
post #4319 of 4319 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Roamio OTA sub-channels

Yes, the OTA does download the programming data for all the sub-channels. I have been using one and can confirm. My personal favorites are 35.2 GetTV, 35.3 Comet TV. The latter has some great sci-fi oldie programming, including movies and 60's TV like the Outer Limits, and the former has a lot of nice film noir and cult offerings from the '50's. Good stuff. Enjoy!

mobilelawyer
at your service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception