Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fox10 has finally used their new logo on the ident, but kept the old one in the onscreen/watermark ident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
Fox10 has finally used their new logo on the ident, but kept the old one in the onscreen/watermark ident.
Another new logo of theirs (along with several new graphics of theirs) was on one of their local news programs yesterday evening.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks like they finally gave in and went to the "corporate colors" of the Fox network. About the only station left I know of doing their own thing in the graphics department is WBRC in Birmingham. Their logo is reminiscent of the old red WBRC sign atop Red Mountain.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 AM

Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CHARGE!

Coming in March to WEAR 3.3.

Anyone notice RD is down?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledo View Post
CHARGE!

Anyone notice RD is down?
Yeah it's been down for a few days now I guess. Dunno what's going on.

Charge! is not a channel I've heard of before, I had to look it up. Another action-oriented network. This area has been kind of slow getting on board the subchannel bandwagon, I believe. Some markets like Montgomery have one or two LDTV channels that pick up the slack. Just between WALE-LD and WDSF-LD in Montgomery, they have Laff, Justice Network, Escape TV, Jewelry TV, Movies, Heroes and Icons, Comet, Dr. TV, Buzzr, Get TV and more. And the big stations each have one subchannel as well. We have some of those, but not all of them. And there are dozens more of these digital subchannel networks out there.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM

Not only is Mobile-P'cola slow to jump on the diginet bandwagon using LPTV stations, we have 5 full power stations lacking sub channels (WFBD, WAWD, WDPM, WPAN & WHBR). Mobile has never had an entertainment based (non-religious/shopping) LPTV station.

According to RD's Facebook page they got hacked.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not only is Mobile-P'cola slow to jump on the diginet bandwagon using LPTV stations, we have 5 full power stations lacking sub channels (WFBD, WAWD, WDPM, WPAN & WHBR). Mobile has never had an entertainment based (non-religious/shopping) LPTV station.

According to RD's Facebook page they got hacked.
To be fair, though… who can actually pick up most of those channels?

WHBR is the only one that seems to have a really big signal that reaches both Pensacola and Mobile. And it does have two subchannels. One is CTN International and one is CTN Lifestyle, whatever that is.

I'm not even sure WAWD is on the air anymore. I don't think it's been on for a while. WDES-CA is on, though. WPAN is silent still as far I know, and when it was on, it had Cozi TV I believe.

WFBD would be a good choice for some of these diginets, it'd at least get them cable carriage in the entire market.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Same difference.
I don't believe I've ever seen WAWD in digital. WPAN has been on the air lately showing garbage with no subs. I only knew about the WHBR Spanish Christian sub channel, still they have a commercial license and could add more (family friendly/shopping). WDPM appears to be off the air more often than not. WFBD is locally programmed with local sales and they still don't use sub-channels.

WCTU-LP Pensacola went off the air over a year ago. WBQP-CA Pensacola doesn't have sub channels any more and the primary may only be available on Cox in Pensacola now.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Same difference.
I don't believe I've ever seen WAWD in digital. WPAN has been on the air lately showing garbage with no subs. I only knew about the WHBR Spanish Christian sub channel, still they have a commercial license and could add more (family friendly/shopping). WDPM appears to be off the air more often than not. WFBD is locally programmed with local sales and they still don't use sub-channels.

WCTU-LP Pensacola went off the air over a year ago. WBQP-CA Pensacola doesn't have sub channels any more and the primary may only be available on Cox in Pensacola now.
WPAN's back on? Hmm. I don't think it's on DirecTV anymore. They dropped it from the lineup when it went silent. I guess no one knows it's back on. It was only there because of must-carry, I'm sure. Same as WAWD and WFBD.

WDPM is odd; their transmitter site is supposed to be on one of the sticks in Baldwin County, and they run low but not flea power, but I have a really hard time picking them. Mario500 is over in Mobile and can get them, though, so it makes me wonder if they are not transmitting from where they are licensed, or using a directional antenna or something. I'm almost line of sight to the two big tall towers in Baldwin County but WDPM's signal hovers around 25% while the other stations from those towers are all 100%. When I can get it, it's a good picture, in HD too.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Charge! is not a channel I've heard of before, I had to look it up. Another action-oriented network.
Charge! is a Sinclair owned diginet that launches this week on a fair amount of Sinclair owned stations. In some cases they are dropping GetTV and Grit for Charge! and their co-owned TBD (yes thats what the station is called)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Charge! is a Sinclair owned diginet that launches this week on a fair amount of Sinclair owned stations. In some cases they are dropping GetTV and Grit for Charge! and their co-owned TBD (yes thats what the station is called)
That seriously might be the worst name for a network/station ever conceived. I see on the Wikipedia page they picked the name because Allbritton already owned the TBD.com domain, ha ha. That's cheap.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Is TBD a better or worse name than This TV or Antenna TV? (Or Get TV, or Me TV, or My Network TV, or...)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Is TBD a better or worse name than This TV or Antenna TV? (Or Get TV, or Me TV, or My Network TV, or...)

- Trip
They're all pretty silly, but TBD takes it to the next level because the majority of people are probably going to see that and think it's a placeholder — To Be Determined — for something to come later.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM

TBD-TV? It would be cool if they called it The Best Damn TV.

I assume WPAN is just on the air now for licensing purposes. They were showing old infomercials with the wrong aspect ratio and no station ID or PSIP on channel 40. I assume it's WPAN.

When WDPM was new (PSIP channel 4 days) I could pick it up in Pensacola. I haven't seen it in quite a while.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
CHARGE!

I saw their programming (along with TBD's programming) through WEAR-TV this morning.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Guess they didn't want to wait until March.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. Guess they didn't want to wait until March.
Had to get it on air before they took their annual February 29 & 30 vacation.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 PM

WSRE recently today lost V-me to 24/7 PBS Kids Network on 23.4, leaving TBN Enlace (WMPV 21.4) and CTNi (WHBR 33.3) the only couple of Spanish-language networks in the Mobile and Pensacola TV Market.

BTW, I can figure the quality of PBS Kids on 23.4 is better than the one on APT's (WEIQ 42.2) because APT's ratio quality on digital subchannel 2 is somehow off.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post
WSRE recently today lost V-me to 24/7 PBS Kids Network on 23.4, leaving TBN Enlace (WMPV 21.4) and CTNi (WHBR 33.3) the only couple of Spanish-language networks in the Mobile and Pensacola TV Market.

BTW, I can figure the quality of PBS Kids on 23.4 is better than the one on APT's (WEIQ 42.2) because APT's ratio quality on digital subchannel 2 is somehow off.
I noticed that too about the picture quality. APT is showing PBS Kids as a 16:9 letterbox inside a 4:3 picture, which I believe is called 'windowboxing' since black is on all four sides. WSRE is showing it in full 16:9 but in standard definition.

The subchannels in this market are all a mess. Some are 4:3, some are 16:9, at one or two are 16:9 in a 4:3 display. It's annoying having to constantly adjust the aspect ratio to match what the station is sending.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Has anything been published concerning which Mob-Pen TV stations might participate in the spectrum auction?
Is there another website covering this?

As for V.me, I can't imagine they had enough viewers to justify the channel space. V.me went cable only, right?
PBS kids could conceivably have thousands of viewers at any given time.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has anything been published concerning which Mob-Pen TV stations might participate in the spectrum auction?
Is there another website covering this?

As for V.me, I can't imagine they had enough viewers to justify the channel space. V.me went cable only, right?
PBS kids could conceivably have thousands of viewers at any given time.
I haven't found anything on the spectrum repacking thing yet, but I haven't looked, either. I would imagine this would be a pretty decent market for moving things around considering how many stations we have.

Having V-Me on WSRE was always an oddity to me, but it turns out that the network used to be some sort of partnership with public broadcasters. They were on over 40 PBS stations at one point according to Wikipedia, but most are dropping it to pick up the "new" PBS Kids channel. Looks like they only want to keep about 10 OTA affiliates, with the nearest one to us in New Orleans.

For as long as I can remember, V-Me was available to all DirecTV subscribers, even if they didn't sub to any other Spanish channels. It and HITN were in the clear.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 AM

I'm tracking all the public info here: https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...uction-Results

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm tracking all the public info here: https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...uction-Results

- Trip
Thanks for sharing.

mobilelawyer
at your service
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:

- Trip
Wow!

I have to admit, I do not understand anything published about TV repackaging.

Have any Mob-Pen-FWB stations moved or sold out?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It is very difficult to keep up with all the sales, acquisitions and mergers. Repacking, since it involves moving stations to new frequencies to free up spectrum for cellular would be way, way above my pay grade as far as having much technical understanding.

I assume, however, that if a local station switched frequencies, it would keep the same virtual channel, so the home viewer would never know or care, as long as the switch did not create reception problems. Can someone confirm if this is generally the case?

mobilelawyer
at your service
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 AM

Yes, virtual channels should not change.

The full set of stations changing channels or going off the air will be announced by the FCC some time after March 30.

- Trip
poledo likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old Today, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why can't WALA Fox 10 keep it's PSIP time data correct? Correct time is 12:30 and they show 12:40. None of the other local stations has any trouble keeping their time correct. I've emailed the station engineer before, they correct it, then before long it's off again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement