Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4381 of 4399 Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Trip, that clarifies some questions I had.

Is it safe to assume that no Mobile stations will be moving to VHF in the repack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4399 Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by poledo View Post
Thanks Trip, that clarifies some questions I had.

Is it safe to assume that no Mobile stations will be moving to VHF in the repack?
According to RabbitEars, there will be quite a bit of movement, but nothing new in VHF.
post #4383 of 4399 Old 04-15-2017, 02:55 PM

So Nexstar owns channels 25 and 27 in Mobile. The repack moves 27 to 20 and 25 to 27. Why not just leave 27 alone and move 25 to 20? Wouldn't that save Nexstar a whole lot of cash?

post #4384 of 4399 Old 04-15-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Since the FCC is paying for it, it won't cost Nexstar anything.

In any case, it would put WKRG too close to WWL which is being repacked to 27.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4386 of 4399 Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Will WPAN still technically be required to use virtual channel 53 even though they've never used a virtual channel number before?
post #4387 of 4399 Old 04-24-2017, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was able to receive a signal from a station named "WGOX-TV" (its call letters were listed as WGOX-LD on the official World Wide Web site for the Federal Communications Commission) on radio frequency channel 43 (this was also its virtual channel number) for the first time (from Mobile) last Sunday, but never any programming from it on the channel itself since then (there appeared to be an official Facebook page for the station and a live video stream for it).
post #4388 of 4399 Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I was able to receive a signal from a station named "WGOX-TV" (its call letters were listed as WGOX-LD on the official World Wide Web site for the Federal Communications Commission) on radio frequency channel 43 (this was also its virtual channel number) for the first time (from Mobile) last Sunday, but never any programming from it on the channel itself since then (there appeared to be an official Facebook page for the station and a live video stream for it).
Interesting… The current licensed pattern according to RECnet is a pencil-thin beam from Berrydale in Florida towards Jay and Flomaton. They have a CP from Spanish Fort, though, so if the signal has been constant I bet they're testing that facility. I wouldn't have thought in a million years they'd ever build it, though.

Edit to add: I tried several different antenna positions, got nothing here in Foley.

Last edited by Tom Servo; 04-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #4389 of 4399 Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am picturing Tom Servo with his hand on a rotator control, carefully scanning the airwaves for signs of heretofore unknown broadcast signals!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

mobilelawyer

Samsung PN 59D7000 for broadcast and OTT only
Intel NUC D54250WYK, HD Homerun Connect,
TiVo Roamio, Nvidia Shield, Sony Playstation Vue
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
post #4390 of 4399 Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
I am picturing Tom Servo with his hand on a rotator control, carefully scanning the airwaves for signs of heretofore unknown broadcast signals!

If only I were that elegant.
post #4391 of 4399 Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I believe this station is the long-time coming reincarnation of W50CF that was forced off the air when WFGX fired up their full-power digital signal. When I've attempted to pick it up, all i've seen was what appeared to be a roku feed set to the Word of Life church...the ministry that ran W50CF and now appears to be on WGOX-LD.

I'll be happy to be an antenna user again once I move out of my black hole that barely picks up WKRG on a good day. My new location gets EVERYTHING including all of the Biloxi locals!
post #4392 of 4399 Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post
I believe this station is the long-time coming reincarnation of W50CF that was forced off the air when WFGX fired up their full-power digital signal. When I've attempted to pick it up, all i've seen was what appeared to be a roku feed set to the Word of Life church...the ministry that ran W50CF and now appears to be on WGOX-LD.

I'll be happy to be an antenna user again once I move out of my black hole that barely picks up WKRG on a good day. My new location gets EVERYTHING including all of the Biloxi locals!
I take it you're on the west side of Mobile, then?

In my seven years and change in Baldwin County, I've never gotten anything except locals, even during decent skip conditions on FM. Granted I don't have anything better than a small amplified indoor antenna, but it's surprising how little it picks up. WALA and WFNA are difficult, WDPM is almost impossible, and I still haven't even seen a peep from WGOX-LD yet.

What I wouldn't give to be able to climb to the top of one of the tall condos in Gulf Shores with a portable digital TV and see what it can pick up. In the old analog days I remember Dothan being a daily presence on multiple channels as well as the occasional Montgomery signal from atop the sixth floor stairwell at the condo my parents would get every year.
post #4393 of 4399 Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I live in Pensacola and when I scan, I get 40 channels, but only 32 are channels that I watch. Some of the others are not on the air in my area or are religious channels(which are OK, but I do not watch). How many watchable channel do you guys in Mobile or Panama City get. I have an outdoor amplified antenna.

Jerry
Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
TiVo Roamio OTA
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player

Last edited by jerryez; Yesterday at 05:32 AM.
post #4394 of 4399 Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in Baldwin County with an unamplified indoor antenna and get about 35 channels reliably, counting the religious stuff I don't watch. I don't get any low power channels at all and barely get WALA. When you exclude the duplicate PBS channels from mobile and Pensacola and exclude the religious channels that leaves about 23 channels, which isn't too bad. I have satellite so the only time I watch OTA TV is if there's something on one of the PBS subchannels or I'm just surfing to kill time. I tend to gravitate towards MeTV, Laff and Comet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #4395 of 4399 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

My scan picks up 31 channels, but I have my Tivo Roamio and HD Homerun tuner set to receive 23 of them.

I am only a stone's throw from the towers from WKRG, WALA, WEIQ, and whatever channel shares WALA's tower (WFNA?). But I am close enough to every other local station to get a perfect, unwavering signal on all of them, theoretically. I mostly do, but WSRE has always been a little too weak to stay tuned, and either atmospheric or weather conditions can sometimes interfere with WEAR and WJCT.

Digital signal or not, the choice of UHF frequencies for most digital stations brings back some issues that have always plagued those frequencies in broadcast usage. Antenna placement is everything, and sometimes even a slight variation in location can make a big difference. I am still experimenting in my attic.

I used to have big problems with WKRG. It was not signal strength. I have signal strength out the wazoo. I moved the antenna to a different part of the attic, and now, I never have problems with it. A large tree in the my front yard was the culprit.

I am sure placing my antenna outside would help greatly, but I have not seen fit to do that yet.

mobilelawyer

post #4396 of 4399 Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I used to have big problems with WKRG. It was not signal strength. I have signal strength out the wazoo. I moved the antenna to a different part of the attic, and now, I never have problems with it. A large tree in the my front yard was the culprit.
I used to have problems with WKRG too, despite the gangbusters signal. It was constantly macroblocking and breaking up on the main channel, but never on MeTV when it was on 5.2. It seemed to go away completely when they added ion to 5.2. I put my antenna in all kinds of places and always had a really good (90-100%) signal, so it couldn't have been that. I think they might have had an encoder issue.
post #4397 of 4399 Old Today, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I am only a stone's throw from the towers from WKRG, WALA, WEIQ, and whatever channel shares WALA's tower (WFNA?). But I am close enough to every other local station to get a perfect, unwavering signal on all of them, theoretically. I mostly do, but WSRE has always been a little too weak to stay tuned, and either atmospheric or weather conditions can sometimes interfere with WEAR and WJCT.
Did you mean WJTC?
post #4398 of 4399 Old Today, 05:21 AM

Yes. I get those letters transposed all the time.

mobilelawyer

post #4399 of 4399 Old Today, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A signal too strong can cause problems also. My amplifier adjust the strength for each signal to get the best reception, how, I do not know.

Jerry
Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
TiVo Roamio OTA
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception