Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #4411 of 4434 Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No difference in signal for me, but I am in Spanish Fort only a few miles from the tower.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

mobilelawyer

Samsung PN 59D7000 for broadcast and OTT only
Intel NUC 7i5BNH, HD Homerun Connect,
TiVo Roamio, Nvidia Shield, Sony Playstation Vue
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4434 Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
7 years ago, WFGX made its appearance in the Mobile Area for first time after nearly 23 years after moving the coverage to Baldwin County.

MyNetworkTV was shown on Television in Mobile for first time after nearly 4 years.

Before it was shown in Mobile, the residents has to rely on tape trading of shows which was only aired on WFGX excluding the shows from The WB/Kids WB until fall 2001 and other shows.

If anything Pokemom cartoon/anime-related in the Mobile area until WBPG (now WFNA) was first launched, there was either legal VHS tapes (including the first three films, The First Movie, 2000, and 3), VHS tape trading (like you record your favorite shows or episodes on the VHS player), or travelling outside of Mobile area to watch it on other The WB affiliates.

Last edited by kokoroanime; 08-04-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #4413 of 4434 Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The problems over at WPMI are getting so bad that Greg Peterson is having to apologize during the newscast about the "technical upgrades" that are underway.

They have to be doing some kind of hubbing. It would make sense if they are having to beam the signal back and forth from Mobile to Pensacola and back to the tower. Lots of room for error.

post #4414 of 4434 Old 08-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryez View Post
My Dish receiver registers all the WALA channels at a 75 out of100. I get 100 on all the other locals. It was 75 before they added the 4th sub channel.
The number of subchannels a station runs shouldn't affect the signal strength at all. The other poster was asking about picture quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post
The problems over at WPMI are getting so bad that Greg Peterson is having to apologize during the newscast about the "technical upgrades" that are underway.

They have to be doing some kind of hubbing. It would make sense if they are having to beam the signal back and forth from Mobile to Pensacola and back to the tower. Lots of room for error.
I saw that tonight, meanwhile he looked kind of like Max Headroom with all the glitches and dropouts as he did the apology.

One thing that has improved tonight was the audio level was back up close to where it used to be. It's no longer super quiet like WEAR's audio.

As long as I've had DirecTV, I've also had a problem with the picture "jerking back and forth" at random while watching NBC programming on the DVR. I even posted a video about it years ago on YouTube but no one had a solution. Ever since the behind-the-scenes changes, though, that issue has ceased. So I can handle the glitches and momentary dropouts if it means the herky-jerky back and forth issue is fixed.
post #4415 of 4434 Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
It bugs me when a station is having OTA signal problems and doesn't use their website, Facebook, Twitter or a crawl to notify their viewers and keep them updated. They are sure to use all those tools when they are having a retransmission dispute with Dish, DirecTV or a cable company. Lightning and equipment failures happen, just keep us informed.

post #4416 of 4434 Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebu View Post
It bugs me when a station is having OTA signal problems and doesn't use their website, Facebook, Twitter or a crawl to notify their viewers and keep them updated. They are sure to use all those tools when they are having a retransmission dispute with Dish, DirecTV or a cable company. Lightning and equipment failures happen, just keep us informed.
You would think that they would have a "Technical Difficulties" slide for stuff like these. But it's probably automated, so the randomness still happens because there's no one to control it, and when it breaks, there's no one to flip the switch to fix it!
post #4417 of 4434 Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Liked: 31
WPMI Signal Level: 100% Signal Quality: 100% , but screen blank, this morning, guess they're still having trouble.

post #4418 of 4434 Old 08-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What bugs me is when the station runs a weather crawl across the bottom of the screen or a radar in the lower corner at the same time that the network is furnishing program info on the current program in the same space and you cannot even read the network info, which in many cases is relevant to the current program.

Jerry
Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
TiVo Roamio OTA
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #4419 of 4434 Old 08-21-2017, 12:54 PM

Finally up and running in my new location in West Mobile...near Airport and Snow. The difference in reception from my prior location off Sollie Road is night and day. Not only am I getting all of the locals (including the ever-troublesome WALA), but I'm getting all 3 Biloxi stations and even semi-reliable reception of WHLT in Hattiesburg! I may have been atmospherically blessed, but the tvfool map shows me in dark blue for them.

This is with a moderately sized outdoor antenna...I can't wait until I get the permanent one hooked up!
post #4420 of 4434 Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM

I keep waiting for at least some of the locals to be added to the OTT services, such as Playstation Vue, Directvnow, Slingtv, etc.

As far as I know, none of these services offer any Mobile-Pensacola network stations. That seems odd in that Mobile is the 60th TV market.

mobilelawyer

post #4421 of 4434 Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Still getting Hattiesburg stations, and now WDAM is even coming in strong!

WXXV is a little intermittent probably from interference from WFBD. Unfortunately, WXXVs picture quality is garbage, while WDAM and WLOX have no problem streaming 2 HD channels and another in SD.
post #4422 of 4434 Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
I keep waiting for at least some of the locals to be added to the OTT services, such as Playstation Vue, Directvnow, Slingtv, etc.

As far as I know, none of these services offer any Mobile-Pensacola network stations. That seems odd in that Mobile is the 60th TV market.
I believe Sinclair has signed a deal that would make all of their Network affiliates available on YouTube's platform eventually. Not sure if WPMI and WJTC would be included since they're only operated by Sinclair and not owned directly.

Since Nexstar owns WKRG and WFNA, it would be a large deal when it would happen. Maybe a bright side to most of our stations being owned by mega-companies.
post #4423 of 4434 Old 09-07-2017, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
post #4424 of 4434 Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 AM

I'm looking through the guide data on TitanTV and the listings show that WPAN 40.1 is airing Antenna TV programming...can anyone confirm who can actually get the station?

If this is true, I hope for this reason alone that WPAN can secure coverage again on DirecTV!!

I was able to faintly pick up WXVO out of Pascagoula (the former WKFK) and what they were doing to the Antenna TV feed may as well be a crime against humanity...taking their 4x3 feed, upconverting to 720p, and CROPPING IT TO FILL THE 16x9 FRAME!

They also show 40.2 is a Cozi TV affiliate, but given that WALA has it on their .2, makes me take it with a grain of salt.
post #4425 of 4434 Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM

I have never been able to get an OTA signal from WPAN at my home in Spanish Fort.

On another front, I noticed that the Roku app for the free streaming service, Pluto TV, now carries local Mobile- Pensacola stations.

The Pluto TV service has always worked well on all devices, but the local channel service appears exclusive to the Roku app, for now. I remember that it had 3, 5 10, 15, several of the religious stations, but not APT, channel 42. WSRE is listed, but at least over the weekend when I tried out the app, WSRE was non-functional. That my be corrected by now. I don't remember seeing channels 35 and 44 on the service yet, but that is from memory.
post #4426 of 4434 Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM

After reading more about the Pluto TV local channels from other sources, you apparently have to have your outside antenna hooked up to one or more Roku TV's for this to work. We have two of them hooked up directly to the antenna. That would explain why WSRE is listed but not functional on my Pluto setup. Most of the time, its signal is too weak for reception from my antenna. I don't understand how this system works, and only discovered it by accident. The TV I was watching it from is a Roku TV as well, so the local station service seems to be limited to Roku TV owners who have the TV hooked up to an outside antenna.
post #4427 of 4434 Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
After reading more about the Pluto TV local channels from other sources, you apparently have to have your outside antenna hooked up to one or more Roku TV's for this to work. We have two of them hooked up directly to the antenna. That would explain why WSRE is listed but not functional on my Pluto setup. Most of the time, its signal is too weak for reception from my antenna. I don't understand how this system works, and only discovered it by accident. The TV I was watching it from is a Roku TV as well, so the local station service seems to be limited to Roku TV owners who have the TV hooked up to an outside antenna.
Based on your experience, I gave it a try on my setup which has a Roku TV and two Rokus (an express and a 3) on my home wireless network. It is completely based on the OTA channels programmed into the Roku TV itself. It only works on the Roku TV and not the other boxes on the same network. When I flipped the antenna signal away from the Roku TV (since I only have 1 coax that is primarily used for DirecTV), the signal went away.

It only picked up the first 18 channels, which only took me to WPMI 15.1, and cut off from there. (WEAR x 3, WKRG x 3, WDAM x 3, WALA x 4, WLOX x 3 and 15.1)

It's a nice way to intergrate OTA into OTT, but it needs some work. It would be a game-changer if it could network your OTA content to other Roku boxes! I would like the OTA redundancy since DirecTV is so great about their signal quality thanks to mother nature

Speaking of OTA, WFNA 55.4 is now showing Grit TV, while WJTC 44.2 is still doing the same.
Could Grit be dropped on 44.2 soon....in favor of something.....like Antenna TV?
mobilelawyer likes this.
post #4428 of 4434 Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 AM

WKRG Snafu during Auburn-LSU Game

The signal went black. No sound, black screen, but no snow because the station was still on the air. What in the world happened? I have heard that the same thing happened in other areas of the country, indicating that the problem was a network one, rather than a local technical problem.

The loss of signal was for about 7 minutes. Black screen, dead silence, no explanation that I have heard, but I did not get to see the evening newscast on WKRG, where the problem would have probably been mentioned.

In the old, ancient, days of local TV, this could not have happened. The human being called the switcher, would have seen the loss of network signal and thrown up a slide like "network trouble". He would have also probably popped in a tape cartridge with a form announcement like "please stand by". There is no way management would tolerate a black screen being aired for seven minutes with no video or audio explanation for the viewers.

This leads me to believe there was no switcher on duty at WKRG. The switching was being handled by computer, or remotely with no local control or human oversight.

So, Nexstar, or probably one of the predecessor owners of the station, eliminated a human's job to save money. How did that work out yesterday? Not too well!

The ultimate irony: I subscribe to CBS All Access. During the outage, I switched to my nVidia Shield and tried to watch WKRG through that service. Result? Black screen with no audio.

mobilelawyer

Last edited by mobilelawyer; 10-15-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Left out pertinent information
post #4429 of 4434 Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The signal went black. No sound, black screen, but no snow because the station was still on the air. What in the world happened? I have heard that the same thing happened in other areas of the country, indicating that the problem was a network one, rather than a local technical problem.

The loss of signal was for about 7 minutes. Black screen, dead silence, no explanation that I have heard, but I did not get to see the evening newscast on WKRG, where the problem would have probably been mentioned.
The problem was mentioned on the local news program that appeared on their main broadcast channel shortly after the programming with the game.
post #4430 of 4434 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quote:

In the old, ancient, days of local TV, this could not have happened. The human being called the switcher, would have seen the loss of network signal and thrown up a slide like "network trouble". He would have also probably popped in a tape cartridge with a form announcement like "please stand by". There is no way management would tolerate a black screen being aired for seven minutes with no video or audio explanation for the viewers.

This leads me to believe there was no switcher on duty at WKRG. The switching was being handled by computer, or remotely with no local control or human oversight.

So, Nexstar, or probably one of the predecessor owners of the station, eliminated a human's job to save money. How did that work out yesterday? Not too well!

The ultimate irony: I subscribe to CBS All Access. During the outage, I switched to my nVidia Shield and tried to watch WKRG through that service. Result? Black screen with no audio.
I believe WKRG has been automated for a while now.
Their master control is (was) run out of WSPA-TV in Spartanburg, SC.
Media General built a hub for their then-CBS stations that run out of there, and another hub at WCMH in Columbus for their then-NBC affiliates.

As they've grown exponentially since their mergers with Young and LIN, other hubs that each company ran have been brought into the fold. And now under Deathstar...I mean Nexstar, they have their own hubs too for their pre-merger stations.

And speaking of WKRG, they've added ANOTHER subchannel to their signal....one that WALA already has!!!!
They're running Laff on 5.4.

Why are they running networks that already have affiliates here in this market?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
post #4431 of 4434 Old Today, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe WKRG has been automated for a while now.
Their master control is (was) run out of WSPA-TV in Spartanburg, SC.
Media General built a hub for their then-CBS stations that run out of there, and another hub at WCMH in Columbus for their then-NBC affiliates.

As they've grown exponentially since their mergers with Young and LIN, other hubs that each company ran have been brought into the fold. And now under Deathstar...I mean Nexstar, they have their own hubs too for their pre-merger stations.

And speaking of WKRG, they've added ANOTHER subchannel to their signal....one that WALA already has!!!!
They're running Laff on 5.4.

Why are they running networks that already have affiliates here in this market?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Oh, jeez. Now there are two subchannels with Laff, too? Sheesh.

It's shocking to me that the "back office" controls have been offloaded to a studio that's not even in this market. That's mind boggling. I thought it was terrible when Sinclair moved WPMI's master control to WEAR in Pensacola. It certainly caused enough problems in their on air presentation. They still haven't fixed all the picture glitches during local news programming.
post #4432 of 4434 Old Today, 06:33 AM

I had sent a message to an electronic mail account connected to WALA-TV asking whether their programming feed for Laff could be replaced with that of another national TV programming service or not and had received a response to it with a message stating that it could be possible.
post #4433 of 4434 Old Today, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I had sent a message to an electronic mail account connected to WALA-TV asking whether their programming feed for Laff could be replaced with that of another national TV programming service or not and had received a response to it with a message stating that it could be possible.
I hope they respond, I'm curious why we suddenly have these channels (Laff, Grit) duplicated in our DMA.
post #4434 of 4434 Old Today, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I hope they respond, I'm curious why we suddenly have these channels (Laff, Grit) duplicated in our DMA.
I had mentioned getting a response to the message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page