Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4209 Old 04-04-2003, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm skunked! WTVY in Dothan is just out of reach. My Samsung T150 was showing a weak signal indicator when trying to get them last night but it couldn't get a lock. As Richard in Crestview, I'll be looking for a better UHF antenna to wring a few more dB of gain, if its possible.

Also, Wade at WTVY reports they are going to be broadcasting intermittently:
Quote:

We are not leaving it on all the time during the testing phase. We will be on tonight during prime time. It will be on each night during prime and Saturday for the final four.
Wade Thomaston

He will be covering the prime time hours, so Hondo, you can't complain And by the way, what antenna are you using in Santa Rosa Beach?

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4209 Old 04-04-2003, 01:53 PM

On Thursday night, I kept losing WKRG-DT (5-1) while trying to watch CSI, etc. WKRG is now the weakest signal in this market. I sent a note to Jim Richardson. He replied promptly:

"We will be going to 1,000,000 watts at 1800' but not for a couple of
years. Cost for upgrade is $3 million. Can only suggest a mast mounted
pre-amp or turning you antenna a little for better reception of our signal."

I also commented that for the past month or so I have been getting a weird picture on 5-2, their SD-weather channel. (I get the picture squeezed into the top third of the screen, and garbage below.) He responded:

"You must have receiver setting incorrect as to the picture on 5-2. It
should be full picture. It is correct on all the sets I have seen."

True, if I change the output to SD, it is correct, but still incorrect with the 1080i output (of a MITS-SRHD5). Anyone else seeing an incorrect picture? I guess something is happening in their upconvert.
post #453 of 4209 Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I get 16:9 on 5.2 and I keep my Sony on 1080i all of the time. The picture is "BAD" very blurry. I just tried to put it in 4:3 with my box but it stays 16:9.

Bobby Ray
post #454 of 4209 Old 04-04-2003, 09:47 PM

Broadcasters won't upgrade unless forced by the feds. Then, they do the legal minimum.
They say it's because there are few sets that can get the signal.

Of course! If they send out upconverted analog, or a weak digital signal in the guise of saving money, the switch will drag out for years. Why would anyone buy a set that can't pick up anything except when you live under the transmitter site or if the tropo skip is good.

I'm supposed to get WTVY-DT. I don't get it, and probably won't unless I put up ANOTHER Yagi, diplexer, etc. This hobby gets expensive, and I'm beginning to run out of roof space and available electrical ground points for masts.

Michael Powell at the FCC is, if I'm not mistaken, at least pushing for specific performance on the digital issue. But of course, money talks, and Congress is in the back pocket of the major station owners. More promises broken...

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God, Macintosh user since 1995.

Richard Lawrence Ray
Armed Forces Network 1983-1996
post #455 of 4209 Old 04-07-2003, 04:00 PM

Does anyone in Mobile/Pensacola have the Hughes E86 Receiver?
If so I'd like to compare notes on reception with you.

Thanks J C
post #456 of 4209 Old 04-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

"Anyone else seeing an incorrect picture? I guess something is happening in their upconvert"
Beachrez, I have the Dish 6000 and I get the same weather picture as you. I get the weather radio audio and a squeezed picture of radar image. Tell him that it is there signal, my 6000 works fine on all other channels.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish VIP722K HD DVR receiver w/ external HD
Dish VIP211K HD receiver w/ ext HD
Yamaha RX765 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #457 of 4209 Old 04-07-2003, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Jerry on both of my Sonys HD100 and HD200, 5.2 is in 16:9.

Bobby Ray
post #458 of 4209 Old 04-07-2003, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the replies about 5-2. I'll forward the information to Richardson at WKRG-DT.

For JC West: I use the Mits SRHD-5, which is a Hughes E86 with a different label. I get 9,17,31,45 and 47 at 100. 27 is usually about 50-55, and 34 is around 76-82. I have a fairly standard outdoor antenna with the top being about 25-30' above the sand. (I live on the beach!)

Is this the information that you are looking for?
post #459 of 4209 Old 04-08-2003, 04:40 AM

Does your unit get WB-55.
Fox is on 9-2 and WB is on 9-3 and my Samsung TS 160 can not separate them.

Does UPN-44 pixelate or is it a good solid picture?

Thanks J C
post #460 of 4209 Old 04-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Response to JC West:

I get WB55 on 9-2 and/or 55-1; UPN (44-1) is usually pretty good. For awhile I was getting PSIP information on WJTC-DT and WB55 such as the call letters, but no program schedule. Lately, I am not getting the call letters-- just "Local Digital" and still no program information in the guide.
post #461 of 4209 Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Richard (rray325539), I'm the one that led your to believe getting Dothan WTVY would be a cakewalk. Mainly, because I believed that myself. I don't remember the power level that Wade Thomaston said they would be radiating at, but I'm thinking it was about 80kW. Compare that to WMBB Panama City (38kW), WEAR Pensacola (8.3 kW), and WKRG Mobile (55kW), our current low wattage champs, I thought WTVY would have better reception. Wade himself was didn't think that his signal would carry to Ft. Walton

One thing I may be overlooking is antenna pattern. WTVY is using a non-directional antenna. Its signal is evenly radiated in every direction of the compass. If you check the FCC info, WEAR is using a very directional antenna, beaming the majority of its signal to Pensacola. In fact, everybody is using a directional antenna except WALA-FOX and WTVY-CBS.

It sounds if you're using fixed antennas. If I were you, I would try pointing my antenna at Dothan first. The front to back ratio of a fringe antenna is typically 12-18 dB or better. So you can get a big boost in signal by pointing the antenna east. If that gets WTVY for you, then its your choice, another antenna pointed at Dothan and duplexer to couple it into your downlead or a rotor to swing your exsisting antenna back and forth from Mobile to Dothan.

All:
I lost WJTC-UPN this weekend when I rescanned the channels on my Samsung SIR-T150. I know this is a mis-programming on the digital bit stream at WJTC, this is exactly the problem I had with WSRE when I first got the box. Anyone else also missing WJTC (channel 44/45)? Anyone willing to rescan their channels and see if WJTC drops out after that

Also, beachrez, WEAR's reported power of 700 watts comes from an email from Joe Smith himself. I agree, that seem very low. FCC has a STA on file for WEAR with a ERP of 8.3 kW, still very low, but more believable.

Rick Steverson

post #462 of 4209 Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM

Hello to everyone, I have been lurking on and off for a while but finally needed to post. Anyway, I got to see COX HD cable last weekend (CBS Texas vs. Syracuse Final Four) and it looked great. I have been reluctant to put up an antenna and go OTA, but it looks like COX will come through soon. I was told most likely May, but I was also told Jan and Mar in my prior inquiries. I guess good things come to those who wait. Initially they were going to beta-test publically, but then decided to do it only internally.

I thought I read earlier on this thread that WKRG would not carry the NCAA tourney in HD, but would have the Master's. Did any of you watch it on OTA? If this is true, then would COX be getting their feed from CBS satelite?

COX's box is of course the SA3100HD, and it sounds if they will have plenty of options to make everyone and their pocket book happy. I don't won't to speculate or repeat any of the stations that they will carry since few are finalized but it sounds like several more are close.

Did the person from or affliliated with COX ever post, as mentioned earlier? It's great to have insiders on threads (I think). Hopefully cable will push Sinclair into bringing us HD MNFB! I know a lot of folks like me that have HDTV ready sets that just don't want to fool with OTA right now.
post #463 of 4209 Old 04-10-2003, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

welcome to the AVSforum and our humble Mobile/Pensacola/FWB thread, ssmurphy.

As far as Cox, I don't recall officials from Cox having posted. Since you appear to have heard what Cox is putting together, what's the Gulf Coast version going to be like? I'm expecting the locals with HD or widescreen programming, WKRG, WALA, WPMI, WSRE, as a basic HD package, maybe Discovery and HDNet included, and a premium package with HBO HD and Showtime HD.

I'm really wondering what the pricing structure will be. I'm guessing we will be required to subscribe to digital cable to get local/basic HD. I hear that some cable companies are requiring a monthly fee for their HD STB, so I'm expecting that, too. What have you heard of that?

In fact, I think that the possible price of cable HD may be great enough that I will stay with my OTA. While FWB has problems with the weaker stations, so we don't get CBS HD very well from WKRG or WTVY, what you do get is super, reception like you won't believe. When WKRG and WTVY get the full transmitter rolled out, it should be easy to pull in OTA here in FWB. Just a 20' pole and a RS 120 antenna and you got crystal reception.

Having email with Joe Smith a little, HD cable will pressure Sinclear. If their numbers go down as more people go to HD programming, Sinclear won't have a choice but to get that HD equipment to keep up with the Joneses. When, well thats the 64k question.

Rick Steverson

post #464 of 4209 Old 04-10-2003, 07:57 AM

Maybe now is the time to make friends with the management of Circuit City, Rex, Best Buy, Art's, Sears, or wherever you bought your gear and volunteer to preach the gospel of HDTV. Many of the sales droids are actually shooting themselves in the foot by not having an HDTV signal for a customer to look at. Best Buy in Pensacola only shows analog signals on its digital sets. No wonder the great masses are not flocking to buy!.

To their credit, I bought my Sony 16:9 from Rex in Mary Esther. Of course, any such purchace requires spousal approval. (For my boating purchases, she is lovingly referred to as "The Admiral") The one thing that sold my wife was the BEAUTIFUL picture from HDNet that was piped in to all of the HDTV sets. It went from "we already have a big screen" to "we have to get this one!"

Having a few customers around that can explain the workings locally could help them and us immensely. For the most part, the guys and gals that sell this gear can't afford it, and thus know little or nothing about it. The Best Buy guy didn't even know there was OTA in the Pensacola/Mobile market! He thought you needed a pizza pan dish to get a HD signal.

Maybe even help them with a fact sheet, and a link to this forum, re: local HD and how to get it. It could help them boost sales, increase market penetration, and give us the ammunition we need to fight the evil corporate powers at Sinclair!

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God, Macintosh user since 1995.

Richard Lawrence Ray
Armed Forces Network 1983-1996
post #465 of 4209 Old 04-13-2003, 05:23 PM

I am a novice to the forum so please be patient.

I live on Pensacola Beach in a high-rise (8th Floor) with a clear view from the balcony to the northwest, west, and south.

I just hooked up a TERK antenna (Terk 55) and am receiving all the local analog stations but for some reason I can't get any of the digital stations. For example, I am receiving WKRG analog (5.0) but am getting no signal on WKRG digital (5.1). I am even not getting the local PBS digital station.

Is there any reason I can get the analog channels but not the digital channels?

Is it just a signal strength issue or do I need to tweek the equipment? I have a Sony SAT HD-200 with a Terk eliptical dish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
post #466 of 4209 Old 04-13-2003, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you done a digital [local] scan with your HD200? You should get all of the digital channels. Are you getting the HD channels on D*?

Bobby Ray
post #467 of 4209 Old 04-13-2003, 06:08 PM

I haven't run a scan myself although the channels are showing up on my guide....I just am not getting a signal or a picture when I tune to them. From reading some of the other posts, I understand that the Terk is not a very good antenna but it is receiving the analog stations. If it's the antenna, does anyone have any suggestions for a better antenna that can be mounted on the balcony of a condo? Thanks.
post #468 of 4209 Old 04-13-2003, 06:57 PM

Trich,

You were right...I changed the DTV input on the HD200 from cable to antenna and I'm now getting all of the digital channels. Thanks so much.

ABC is a little weak...has anyone else found this?

Also, is there a better antenna for a condo balcony than the Terk 55?

Thanks again.
post #469 of 4209 Old 04-13-2003, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to RS and get a good UHF-VHF antenna, if it don't help take it back. Less than $50.

Bobby Ray
post #470 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have problems with WPMI last night during L&O? I was see lots of breakup for what has been one of the best channels for Ft. Walton.

Rick Steverson

post #471 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Rick, we usually watch L&O but it was a repeat so I did'nt see it.......... Sorry

Bobby Ray
post #472 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I didn't watch it either, but i've been getting increasing number of breakups on upn, with a day here and there where the picture is fine. I always show a strong signal, but it drops to bad on occasion causing breakups and slow motion of the screen.

One thing i have noticed is when it starts getting bad if i switch channels and switch back its better. However say i was mapped to 44-1 watching it, it breaks up so i switch channels, then switch back, only now i'm watching 45-1. could this be a psip issue?

Anyway just curious, i have a zenith hd520.

Daniel
post #473 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 05:42 PM

Rick, I didn't have any problems with L&O last night and can't wait to see tonight's special. I did however get a surprise tonight, while checking on ch 4 we actually got ch 13, not the digital yet but it was very clear. so I can now cansel cable!!! we have an ABC!!
post #474 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 05:43 PM

oh and to answer a previous question we live off Beal & Memorial I was off line for a while and out of the loop
post #475 of 4209 Old 04-17-2003, 07:15 PM

Linda, what are you using for equipment, antenna, mast hieght, receiver etc. Enquiring Shalimar minds want to know.

Bob H.
post #476 of 4209 Old 04-18-2003, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Linda,

I'm not certain that it already happen, but WMBB-ABC of Panama City was going to redo their antenna. It would allow more signal toward FWB. And it does seem like there is a stronger signal from them now a days.

WTVY Wade Thomaston has told me that at first they will only transmit during primetime hours, so keep that in mind when scanning for them on channel 36. I got them one night for a couple of hours. I'm getting ready to order a Channel Master 4228 UHF only antenna to see if that will get CBS in FWB. The Blake antenna are interesting, but $50 vs. $150 suggests I try the Channel Master first.

Bob, you know a guy that has a Winegard HD8200, their top-of-the-line VHF/UHF ant. in Shalimar, right? Did he ever set it up? Any word on his ability to get FOX on ch. 9 or CBS on ch 27 or ch 36?

As far as the problem I had with WPMI Wednesday, last night there was no problem what so ever.

May 1, 2003 is another deadline date, I believe. Anybody coming on line then? There is a number of stations in Panama City that haven't powered up yet, any info?

Rick Steverson

post #477 of 4209 Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Linda, if ABC in standard def. DTV was something you were looking for, have you also tried WEAR-DT channel 17? They are still using a very low powered signal (8.3kW) but they got it installed on their new tower at 1899 feet. I get a very good signal from them anytime I check.

Rick Steverson

post #478 of 4209 Old 04-18-2003, 08:41 PM

Robert, we have the HD8200 winegard on 35' mast with a cm rotor. no preamp but are considering it, only problem is my husband doesn't really want to lower the mast again to add it on!!! we can receive fox but never with the sound. always comes and goes, which annoys us because of Nascar!!! inside we bought an RCA 38" tube HDTV (we are not into projection or plasma) with HDTV and Directv already built in. we have been thrilled with it so far especially Crossing Jordan! Half the time I don't know what you guys are talking about so I just keep reading!!! the only way we have to see signal strength is thru the tv and only on hd not regular ota. the highest it has ever shown is in the 70's or so for wpmi . so I was going to ask what kind of preamp you guys would recommend and where to purchase.
post #479 of 4209 Old 04-18-2003, 09:30 PM

I'm now getting Biloxi's ABC feed on 13-1 and 13-2, but not all the time. When I can get it, quality is very good. Finally get ABC stuff in HD, though I don't really watch much on ABC. Sure would've been nice at Super Bowl time! BTW, I'm in Pace using a RS 190 ant. and a Samsung STB. Anybody else getting good signal?

Graham
post #480 of 4209 Old 04-19-2003, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

GrahamMc
It may be tropo effect. I was getting WWL from New Orleans last night. That's over 200 miles to Ft. Walton. They are on channel 36, remapped to 4-1. That's the same as Dothan WTVY, which is in my scanned list and why I just happen to tune that channel. Checking Heburn's website suggest we just had an intense effect past over our area last night and it may continue tonight. Check it out at http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo.html

Linda,
Can understand your husband's reluctance to drop the antenna down. If you do look for a preamp, Channel Master's model 7777 is considered the best. I don't know where to get one locally, and for that matter I don't know where to get a Winegard HD8200 in FWB since Key Electronic closed its doors, but an on-line source would be http://www.starkelectronic.com/allamps.htm If FOX is just viewable sometimes on your rig, the preamp may be the ticket to get them all the time. I have a new UHF antenna and a 7777 on its way from Stark Electronic right now. The 7777 will replace a Channel Master Spartan Preamp I'm using right now. Call me, I'm in the book, if you would like to try a preamp out.

Rick Steverson

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page