Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1591 of 4424 Old 01-25-2005, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hate to beat a dead horse, but is anybody in the GulfBreeze area getting
wear 3-hd yet, again? Also, what is the email address for the tech there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 4424 Old 01-25-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crimsonblake
He said that to either remedy the problem for the Super Bowl, or possibly for the long run, of taking digital WB off the air. This is still in discussion, honestly I don't think this will happen, but you never know.

I would hope they could atleast temporarily suspend dig WB for the SB, I'm not sure about others but I never watch that channel anyways.

Xbox Live = BoondockS8nts
post #1593 of 4424 Old 01-25-2005, 07:29 PM

I am not getting any signal for WKRG, does anyone else have this prob? I am getting WEAR great. Am I missing something?

post #1594 of 4424 Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

jrfsu1.

WEAR email is Joe Smith

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #1595 of 4424 Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Cox also offering "Universal HD" channel as well. I'm also getting Discovery HD, though I originally did not sign up for it (extra $), but now getting it... wonder if it's a mistake, a promo, or now just part of the regular HD line-up.

Still waiting for FOX, ABC, CBS... how frustrating not to see these in Hi-Def!!!!!
post #1596 of 4424 Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM

dne,

That is weird because i get fox,cbs,nbc,pbs,upn, and wb all solid, but no abc (wear).
post #1597 of 4424 Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrfsu1
dne,

That is weird because i get fox,cbs,nbc,pbs,upn, and wb all solid, but no abc (wear).

Same here. I corresponded with Joe Smith at wear and he told me to scan the channels and maybe that would work. That did not work and I let him know it but he has not replied. It (wear) came in great when they first brought it online but when they "fixed their problem" I lost their signal. I am lucky living on DI since I can watch ABC Miss.
post #1598 of 4424 Old 01-27-2005, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docrings
Cox also offering "Universal HD" channel as well. I'm also getting Discovery HD, though I originally did not sign up for it (extra $), but now getting it... wonder if it's a mistake, a promo, or now just part of the regular HD line-up.

Still waiting for FOX, ABC, CBS... how frustrating not to see these in Hi-Def!!!!!

Cox started providing Discovery HD and ESPN HD for free back in December. Here is the Cox HD Pricing Page

Steve
post #1599 of 4424 Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have, or know where i can get a 3 meter or longer HD15 to Component cable. I'm doing an install monday and all of my distributors are backordered for this cable. The customer has an rca dtc 100 hd box.

Thanks,
Daniel
post #1600 of 4424 Old 01-27-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by docrings

I'm a Cox HDTV customer in Crestview. Discovery HD is part of their free HD tier when you rent their HD digital box. I get Discovery HD, WPMI-HD, Universal HD, IN-HD 1 and 2, WSRE-HD, and ESPN-HD. If I subscribed to Showtime and HBO I would get their HD channels as well.

I love that IN-HD channel, watched a Chicago / Earth, Wind and Fire concert at the Greek Theatre, my teenage son was amazed at the picture. I told him you have your toys, I have mine. the difference is I share...

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God, Macintosh user since 1995.

Richard Lawrence Ray
Armed Forces Network 1983-1996
post #1601 of 4424 Old 01-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Wow! I'm watching my first Enterprise HDTV episode. Unbelievable!
post #1602 of 4424 Old 01-28-2005, 11:24 PM

Newbie here, I live in the west Pensacola area, can aynone tell me which is the best antenna to use, I do so want to watch the Superbowl & the Daytona 500 in hidef. Thanks

Doug Braden
post #1603 of 4424 Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 AM

Welcome Doug. Since I live about 40 miles east of P'cola some my requirements are far different than yours. But west Pensacola should put you in a very good zone for picking up all the P'cola/Mobile stations. All the towers are between the two cities. I'll let others closer to you give specific recommendations based on their experience but in my view you should be able to use almost any antenna with reasonable gain. Since you want to get it up before the Super Bowl then mail order might be risky. But many fine antennas are at available at local retailers. Radio Shack antennas do well for a lot of people. I used one for years. I think I've read that Channel Master (or some other major brand) is sold at Lowes. I would say either of these brands will do well for you. Just buy one with decent gain (~ 10db). If they don't list the gain (most don't) get one that is rated for a range greater than you really are from the towers. I've never trusted those "mileage ratings" on antennas. If not for WALA-DT being VHF ch9 you could get by with a UHF only antenna. So get a vhf/uhf combo. I use an amp on my mast because I'm "deep fringe". You may not need one. I'll let other address that. Hope I've helped. Good luck. Can I come over to your house to watch the Super Bowl?? J/K
post #1604 of 4424 Old 01-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dkbraden
Newbie here, I live in the west Pensacola area, can aynone tell me which is the best antenna to use, I do so want to watch the Superbowl & the Daytona 500 in hidef. Thanks

Doug,

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you. I'm on the east side of Pensacola, but this may be of help to you...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...25#post5022825

The most difficult part for me was tweaking the antenna direction to get WALA 10.1 (which is showing both the Superbowl and the Daytona 500). I used a high-gain signal amplifier, but I may not have needed it if I had installed the antenna outside and at a greater height instead of in the attic. Tweaking the gain on the signal amplifier also helped me a lot.

Because you're on the west side, your signal should be a lot stronger than mine, so tweaking may not be an issue for you.

A couple other things that may help. AntennaWeb.org is rather useful for selecting an antenna and determining which direction to aim your antenna. CheckHD.com and TitanTV.com (the first ends up redirecting you to the second) give pretty good info on which stations are in the area as well as their scheduling info.

Good luck.
-Thomas
post #1605 of 4424 Old 01-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Rick & Thomas, Thank you for your inputs. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Doug Braden
post #1606 of 4424 Old 01-30-2005, 04:21 PM

Ive been playing around in the attic , has anyone been able to get wkrg-DT over the weekend ? Also still no wear DT, but FOX, nbc,upn,and WB are strong as ever here in the Breeze. Hopefully FOX will hold thru next weekend for the big game. I just wish the local stations and the local cable companies would get it together.
post #1607 of 4424 Old 01-30-2005, 06:22 PM

Having a hard time picking up WPMI NBC. Anyone else having similar problems?
post #1608 of 4424 Old 01-30-2005, 07:09 PM

getting it here ok in the breeze, just watched law and order.
post #1609 of 4424 Old 01-31-2005, 06:24 AM

Everything except WEAR is coming in strong in West Mobile.

Xbox Live = BoondockS8nts
post #1610 of 4424 Old 01-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Isn't it amazing, although not surprising based on past history, that after 2 or more weeks, WEAR-DT can't figure out how to put out a signal that can be received and decoded by the viewing public? They did it on one or two occasions for a few hours at a time so it can be done!
post #1611 of 4424 Old 01-31-2005, 05:46 PM

Great,
Its CSI Miami night and WKRG-DT isn't coming in . Can't they get it right ?
post #1612 of 4424 Old 01-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

anyone having audio issues on cbs and abc? I have a customer that has the new dish hd dvr and the audio on abc and cbs is really weird, very lowand only through the front speakers. fox comes in fine, when i switch her system to voom everything is fine, but she wants to be able to record the shows etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Daniel
post #1613 of 4424 Old 01-31-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cinder
anyone having audio issues on cbs and abc? I have a customer that has the new dish hd dvr and the audio on abc and cbs is really weird, very lowand only through the front speakers. fox comes in fine, when i switch her system to voom everything is fine, but she wants to be able to record the shows etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Daniel

Must be the signal from the stations. I can not even receive a picture from WEAR. It might help if WEAR would send a few trainable people to their sister station in Biloxi that has been broadcasting a viewable signal for some time now. CBS is coming in fine currently with my Dish 6000 on D.I., although I lost their signal for part of the summer.

You might want to call Dish for tech support---might get lucky as I did this summer and get a technician truly interested in my problem.
post #1614 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Great,

I didn't watch "CSI: Miami" but I did watch "Still Standing" and "Listen Up" without any problems.

Steve
post #1615 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

cool, thanks for the tip.
post #1616 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Mobile / Panama,

Im from the Omaha NE thread. Looks like we have the same problem. Emmis owns one of your stations in the area and they will not let them put there HD Channel on Cable as they want Money for a Free over the air channel.

Please help and Email Emmis and let them know what you think.

===============Pasted from the thread==============

Looks like over in the Omaha-Lincoln Ne Thread the Cox Cable Emmis issue is still alive.

Emmis pulled there CBS HD from Cox cable one year again demanding money for the free over the air channel.

Here is the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...&pagenumber=130

Here is some info on who to Email- pated from the thread

Here are the EMAIL Addresses for the Top VPs at Emmis Corp (the ones who own KM3 and the ones who made them pull the HD).

Cut and Past Comma delimited:

rmena@emmis.com,desayian@emmis.com,kate@emmis.com,staffingdepartment@emmis. com,ir@emmis.com,wzberger@emmis.com,rcummings@emmis.com

(below is a line by line list)

Please Email them weekly and ask for the free HD channel to be put back on.

KM3 and Emmis one year ago said they pulled there HD Feed because cox was charging for it and making money on it.

Things have changed in the last year.

Now all cable systems in a Emmis area offer the Local HD channels FREE unscrambled via free QAM channels.

This means the Emmis reasoning is no longer valid. They have no reason to demand money for a FREE OVER THE AIR HD Signal.

After all the Government, our tax money gave them the channel. We should be able to watch it free over the air and free on cable.

It is time for Emmis to add KM3 HD back to Cox.

rmena@emmis.com
desayian@emmis.com
kate@emmis.com
staffingdepartment@emmis.com
ir@emmis.com
wzberger@emmis.com
rcummings@emmis.com
post #1617 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM

I own a business, and as much as I don't like it, I have an opinion as to why this problem exists. It's a simple business question: "How will this action make me money?"

The local station isn't inclined to add even a DTV OTA feed at all, because it's redundant to analog and will not make them any more advertising money (unless they were to have different commercials targeted at the early-adopter demographic, but that's wishful thinking). Without the FCC we would still be JUST TALKING about digital (every once in a while government intervention is a good thing).

The cable company is making no additional money by showing the station, once again because it's a redundant feed and costs them bandwidth, so they need to charge a fee. They MAY gain a few more DTV subscribers because they have network DTV, but most people will not let lack of network stations stop them from subscribing.

So where does that leave us? Unfortunately, we need a third party (ahem, the government) who can tell the stations and the cable companies to get their [stuff] together. Eventually, a fair price will have to be worked out that the stations will pay the cable companies.

-Thomas
post #1618 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great,

Thomas, Gulf Breeze is just over the line for WKRG's DTV -41 dBu service contour, so your reception will be spotty. Just think, you could be in FWB and WKRG-HD would be non-existance

Jim Richardson at WKRG is still saying they are on-schedule for full power in July 05. When that happens, coverage goes from now to July

Also, Jim said WKRG will stay at ch 27 when the day analog is switched off, so WALA will remain the only VHF channel from Mobile.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
post #1619 of 4424 Old 02-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Did anyone else lose Fox's broadcast of "24" last nite during the show? About 15 minutes into the program, I lost signal. Immediately after the show was over, the signal came back at full strength. Btw, during this period, all my other HD's came in fine. Is this a common occurance for Fox? If this happens during my Super Bowl party, I will be mortified. .

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #1620 of 4424 Old 02-02-2005, 06:16 AM

This may be a little late, but does someone want to notify the News Journal that Fox will be broadcasting the SuperBowl in HD? This may put them on the spot to deliver a quality broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page